PDA

View Full Version : Wylie - Royse City

wildstangs
11-27-2004, 11:26 PM
I have to admit I don't know much about Royse City. From looking at the results, looks like they have put together a nice 10 game win streak. What can anyone tell us about RC?

Celina - lost: 9-34
Ferris - won: 31-0
Winnsboro - lost: 27-28
Mount Vernon - won: 70-60
Gainesville - won: 20-17
Van Alstyne - won: 28-19
Princeton - won: 42-17
Bonham - won: 56-22
Farmersville - won: 56-19
Nevada Community - won: 63-23
Kennedale - won: 27-20
Kaufman - won: 37-14
Center - won: 35-8

Adidas410s
11-28-2004, 12:45 AM
they run the ball...A LOT. I am guessing its NOT out of the shotgun seeing as how they only had 40 or so passing yards last week with 300+ rushing yards. No clue other than that...

PPHSfan
11-28-2004, 02:14 AM
Actually they run every play out of the shotgun. They run the option. And the QB and RB both can take it to the house on any play. The first guy always misses, and they will be a force to be reckoned with. RC is my pick to win it all in D1.

Adidas410s
11-28-2004, 01:16 PM
what is with so many teams going to a "Playstation offense" these days? This is starting to become quite funny to me.

jmcgee
11-28-2004, 01:18 PM
My pick is Wylie to win DI.

dogdad
11-28-2004, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
what is with so many teams going to a "Playstation offense" these days? This is starting to become quite funny to me.
don't be fooled by RC's formation, they are a smash-mouth offense. RC's key is the o-line. they are very good and have worn down the opponent in every game this year. RC lines up in a shotgun spread, but runs the ball a lot and most of it comes up the middle, they call it the rungun. I have heard that Wylie is a smash-mouth team, so I expect this to be a defensive battle and low-scoring with the outcome being decided in the trenches. I know that RC has tremendous respect for the Wylie team and knows that this will be a difficult game for them. I know the Wylie coaching staff is one of the finest in the state and will be very well-prepared.

3afan
11-28-2004, 01:51 PM

whats funny about it ????

Adidas410s
11-28-2004, 02:31 PM
If you play NCAA Football online over the past few years, you have more players going from wanting to play the game of football to instead wanting to either a) run the option out of the shotgun along w/ HB Direct's, WR options, and other junk plays (ala Gainesville) and b) line up 4 and 5 wide and roll the QB one way so that his mediocore o-line doesnt have to block for too long until he can find one of his receivers that are running crossing patterns all over the field to essentially have the defense screen themselves out of the play. (ala Decatur).

This has started showing up more and more at the college and HS levels now. The first program of note to have any success with it was Texas Tech with Leach's "Crazy Ball" that he plays and now various spinoffs have started to appear down in the HS levels. I am not saying that Royse City does this because I have not seen them play, but having a "smashmouth" running game out of the shotgun is just bizarre...

Disclaimer - Do not take this as me BASHING anybody but rather just a general rant about the degrading of teaching kids the proper way (insert your own opinion here) to play football...

dogdad
11-28-2004, 04:43 PM
here's a few stats on RC for the season:
Mapps QB 2404 yds rushing 32 TDs
Holliness RB 1794 yds rushing 24 TDs
Team 4921 yds rushing 961 yds passing (453 ypg average)

the most impressive stat for me is that the defense has allowed an average of 117 yds. total offense in the past 2 weeks

RC is the #1 offense in the DFW area (3A)
Decatur is #2

Wylie was good enough on defense to beat Decatur and I have no doubt that they will be good enough to limit what RC does on offense. If RC defense can stay hot then Royse City has a chance in this game.

Adidas410s
11-28-2004, 04:52 PM
What type of running plays are they running out of the gun? Is it a lot of option running or more inside draws, off tackles, and counters? What kind of size do they have on the o-line?

VWG
11-28-2004, 04:58 PM
Hmmm...that is interesting. Predominant running team but out of the shotgun. Most other teams that are predominant running teams use the I-formation, veer, wing-t, wishbone, or some variation there of.
It all depends on the coach. Coaching clinics these days are geared to the spread. It's new, it's effective in a lot of ways.
You don't hear many guys giving seminars on the wishbone anymore.
RC better have a good defense because Sandifer and staff are the best at utilizing their offense against the weakness of another team. Wylie has the size up front to play with anybody.
What about RC? Do they have some hogs up front?

dogdad
11-28-2004, 05:01 PM
O-line is not all that large, but very strong and athletic
averages about 250

RC runs many different things from many different looks, but you can probably expect to see some counters, draws, powers, sweeps, etc. RC occasionally will run an option but it is not a bread and butter play.

mistanice
11-28-2004, 05:27 PM
I know i'm talkin 5a, but Lufkin runs all of their plays out of the shotgun. They run the ball about 40 times.... they do it well...just look they are 13-0.

Keith7
11-28-2004, 06:02 PM
(ala Gainesville)

if it works then why use something different.. alot of people like the spread offense, and Gainesville didnt run any "junk" plays, i have no clue what that means.. If a team doesnt like other teams using it they need to find away to stop it..

Keith7
11-28-2004, 06:03 PM
btw..

here are Royse City's top rushers

Player Att. Yds. TD
James Mapps 276 2404 32
Cameron Holliness 187 1794 24

Johnny Moxen
11-29-2004, 06:33 PM
Can you tell us anything regarding their defense? Not like I am trying to get inside information, Iam just not familiar with Royce City at all.

PPHSfan
11-29-2004, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by Johnny Moxen
Can you tell us anything regarding their defense? Not like I am trying to get inside information, Iam just not familiar with Royce City at all.

I can tell you that if one guy holds on to you. The rest of the team gets there in a hurry.

Holmes_Fans
11-29-2004, 06:37 PM
If you play NCAA Football online over the past few years, you have more players going from wanting to play the game of football to instead wanting to either a) run the option out of the shotgun along w/ HB Direct's, WR options, and other junk plays (ala Gainesville) and b) line up 4 and 5 wide and roll the QB one way so that his mediocore o-line doesnt have to block for too long until he can find one of his receivers that are running crossing patterns all over the field to essentially have the defense screen themselves out of the play. (ala Decatur).

This has started showing up more and more at the college and HS levels now. The first program of note to have any success with it was Texas Tech with Leach's "Crazy Ball" that he plays and now various spinoffs have started to appear down in the HS levels. I am not saying that Royse City does this because I have not seen them play, but having a "smashmouth" running game out of the shotgun is just bizarre...

Disclaimer - Do not take this as me BASHING anybody but rather just a general rant about the degrading of teaching kids the proper way (insert your own opinion here) to play football...
It's easy to stop......dont complain because you stink at the game

LALK
11-29-2004, 10:22 PM
my pick is wylie by 14...even with RC's tremendous running game wylie has the speed on defense to keep up...and they don't have a bad running game of their own...they have a quick back with a big offensive line...idk much about RCs defense...but they will have to be good to keep up with the strength of wylie...good luck to both teams

Adidas410s
11-29-2004, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by Holmes_Fans
It's easy to stop......dont complain because you stink at the game

and yes that explains why my record was 112-22, with 7 of those losses coming to the #1 guy (Dan Wilkinson, DT from OU...and it really was him) and I was ranked in the top 200 in NCAA '04. I hardly ever play '05 online due to work constraints so don't talk to me about not being able to stop the BS football. But please feel free to let me know when you want to play...I would be more than happy...ANY TIME!

Redman
11-30-2004, 12:27 AM
Sounds like both teams will be somewhat evenly matched. Gotta stick with 4-3A to win. Good luck to the Wylie Bulldogs. Sure would like to see this one.