PDA

View Full Version : Benson legit Heisman finalist?

JasperDog94
11-27-2004, 07:15 PM
I haven't said much this year regarding Cedric Benson, but after what I saw him do on Friday, I think he's a legit Heisman finalist. I'm not saying that he should win. I'm not sure about that. But the fact that he put up 165 against a tough run defense in A&M and he outrushed our QB's passing attack, I think he definitely should make the trip to New York.

Thoughts or comments?

onfirebball05mustang
11-27-2004, 07:27 PM
hopefully Benson will make it, i know he better at least be considered for it!!!:clap: i hope he gets it

Hupernikomen
11-27-2004, 09:45 PM
I think he will get the invite...he deserves it for the season he has had...100 yards in every game but Oklahoma (92 yards I think it was)..loads of TD's and the main weapon of the 5th ranked team...don't think he will win but he deserves to be there to see it handed out.

htowntransplant
11-27-2004, 11:07 PM
benson wont win unfortunately bc of one word....oklahoma. the cutting edge will be that oklahoma beat texas this year and adrian peterson is clearly the best player in college football. class shouldnt mean a damn thing, so we all need to overlook the fact that he's a freshman. the award is supposed to be for the best player, and peterson clearly is...

htowntransplant
11-27-2004, 11:10 PM
hay jasperdog i like ur darrel royal quote, but unfortunately i dont particularly agree with it. if people are so pissed of seeing TO dance around with pom poms, then maybe someone should try stopping him....and plus, i like him bc he entertains me each week! :D

Hupernikomen
11-27-2004, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by htowntransplant
benson wont win unfortunately bc of one word....oklahoma. the cutting edge will be that oklahoma beat texas this year and adrian peterson is clearly the best player in college football. class shouldnt mean a damn thing, so we all need to overlook the fact that he's a freshman. the award is supposed to be for the best player, and peterson clearly is...

I don't think they will give it to the freshman myself...I could be wrong.

JasperDog94
11-28-2004, 12:18 AM
if people are so pissed of seeing TO dance around with pom poms, then maybe someone should try stopping him... So, according to that logic, if people don't want to be robbed, then they should just keep the robbers out of their house. It's not the robbers fault.:rolleyes: See how rediculous that sounds?

congo
11-28-2004, 12:22 AM
I do think Adrian should get it but Benson also deserves some award for what he has done this year........I mean he is the second leading rusher in the NCAA not Peterson.....I think the QB's from Oklahoma and USC are good but they are not the reason their teams are winning......They just have a good supporting class that makes them better like their recievers and thier RB's makes the diffence beware of the run so then the passing game works.......

JasperDog94
11-28-2004, 12:27 AM
When comparing Benson to Peterson, I look at it this way. Would OU still be #2 without Peterson? Probably. Would Texas be #5 without Benson? No way!

That said, Peterson's day is coming. I think anybody with half a brain knows that (barring injury) Peterson will be a Heisman finalist sooner rather than later.

PPHSfan
11-28-2004, 02:27 AM
Peterson may be one of the best running backs in College football, but I don't think he is the best PLAYER in college ball. Too often the Heisman turns into a QB RB trophy. The best PLAYER in college this year doesn't even play on offense.

CRHSeagle
11-28-2004, 02:43 AM
They should give it to an O line men. Without them nothing would get done.

jmcgee
11-28-2004, 02:57 AM
He clearly is too bad hes a texan playin for Oklahoma.

bevo
11-28-2004, 03:23 AM
’77 Ricky Williams (Heisman)….6,279 Yards….72 TD
*’04 Cedric Benson (???)…..……5,507 Yards….64 TD
’98 Earl Campbell (Heisman)……4,443 Yards….40 TD

*Bowl Game remaining

I personally don’t feel that Adrian or any other Freshman, for that matter should be deserving of the award. With the program (OU) he is with…and the impact he will continue to inflict up on the Big XII and the rest of the Nation, barring that he doesn’t leave after his Sophomore or Junior years, he will have his day. Not excluding the fact that he is talented enough to deserve the award, but that the seasoned veterans have spent their three to four years of sacrifice and deserve their day, in NCAA History. No Adrian has enough talent (not to mention the 54 Texans that make up OU’s roster and what Stoops pull out of the state after this year) that he’ll achieve this feat if someone else that don’t come along and take his position.

One of these front-runners should and will receive their award:
Jason White (OU)
Matt Leinart (USC)
Cedric Benson (UT)
Aaron Rogers (Cal)
Jason Campbell (Auburn)
Stefon LeFors (Louisville)

But with the past history…Cedric ranks right up there with a couple of the Texas great ones, which have achieved this prestigious award. Then again Jason could receive back-to-back awards, as did Archie Griffin did back in ’74 & ’75. But whoever does receive the award, will have earned it, barring whether he be a Freshman or a Senior.

bullfrog_alumni_02
11-28-2004, 09:06 AM
hay jasperdog i like ur darrel royal quote, but unfortunately i dont particularly agree with it. if people are so pissed of seeing TO dance around with pom poms, then maybe someone should try stopping him....and plus, i like him bc he entertains me each week! :D im not sure i follow your thinking on this one...i think jasperdog is speaking as a fan, fans have no control of who gets into the endzone, or what they do. i will be the first to admit that TO has alot of talent. but as greatof a reciever as he may be, his lack of class speaks louder volumes to the public. whethere he likes it or not he has people looking up to him and needs to be mindful of that and set a good example.

sinton66
11-28-2004, 10:21 AM

I disagree with you on this one. The Heisman is a career award, and should not be based on one single season. It would be a sham to give it to a freshman in my opinion.

super1
11-28-2004, 11:58 AM
I disagre. The Heisman IS a single season award. Who is the best college player THIS YEAR? Benson is a great RB and deserves to be a Heisman finalist. I doubt that he'll actually win the award.

bullfrog_alumni_02
11-28-2004, 12:32 PM
did you quote the wrong person or do you think TO isnt "showboating" his way around the nfl?

CHSBaseball07
11-28-2004, 06:27 PM
I cant wait for TO to get Knocked out by someone......its stupid....Professional sports are stupid....its nothing but 1 player doing all of the work or a bunch of players show boating......

all the A&M fans said that Cedric would be shutdown b/c they shut peterson down.....but as you can see.......i think cedric better b/c he is bigger and stronger