PDA

View Full Version : Can someone please explain....

Ranger Mom
11-27-2004, 05:03 PM
....in terms I can understand!!

What is the deal with the 1 point safety being awarded to Texas?

That has had me baffled since it happened.

I first heard of 1 point safeties on THIS board! I STILL don't understand it....when they said a 1 point safety on the radio...I just assumed it would go to A&M and the score would be 12-14. When they announced the score was tied 13-13 it caused a big old headache in my litle old brain!!:rolleyes:

wildstangs
11-27-2004, 05:06 PM
Here is what happened. UT lined up to kick the PAT. The snap was bobbled, and the kick didnt even make it to the endzone. Jaxson Appel from A&M tried to move the ball, but then fumbled it into the endzone where another Aggie player fell on the ball. UT was awarded the one point safety. Since the Horns were only going for one point, they were awarded one point on the safety. Its kinda like intercepting a two point conversion attempt and returning it for a TD. Its only worth 2 points.

Bellville22
11-27-2004, 05:07 PM
I'll try, but i could be wrong.....

On an extra point try, a situation which would normally be labeled a safety turns into a "1-pt safety".

If the ball would've simply rolled into the endzone, and A&M falls on it, it's a touchback, no points. I think what happened was the A&M player picked the ball up in the field of play, and tried to advance it. He then fumbled into the endzone, where A&M recovered, resulting in a safety. Since it was on an extra point play, it's only worth one point.

I think that's right.

gobblerfan02
11-27-2004, 05:10 PM
Supposedly, and I say that because I don't agree w/ what happened, the Texas kicker kicked the ball and a&m tried to pick it up and run, but the ball was knocked loose and a&m recovered in the endzone. Because they had tried to advance the ball while still outside the endzone it was deemed a safety. Now, the 1 pt. instead of two comes in because on any extra point try, if there is a safety, its a 1 pt safety instead of the reg. 2 pt. safety. It's really confusing!
IMHO, I think the ball should have been blown dead due to hitting an offensive lineman, leaving the score 12-13, but they were in austin, and it's not like the 1 pt. mattered anyway!

CHSBaseball07
11-27-2004, 05:10 PM
Exactly right...im just glad Texas didnt win by 1 point cause A&M wouldve cried....but aint it when the kicker kicks the ball it is dead?? cause Mangum definetly kicked it into his O-Line..

TXMike
11-27-2004, 05:17 PM
Ball is not dead as soon as it is kicked, nor is it dead when it hits an offensive lineman. It stays alive in both cases until something that causes the ball to become dead takes place.

While not many fan boards have picked up on this next point, we are tearing it up on ref boards.....the ball was actually loose on the ground when it was kicked. Therefore, in some of our minds, that should have drawn a flag for illegally kicking a loose ball. The holder never had possession of the ball so it was actually just a muffed backward pass that the kicker kicked , illegally. Had there been a flag for that, the safety would not have stood. And since the penalty for illegally kicking includes loss of down, the extra point would not have been replayed.

sinton66
11-27-2004, 05:20 PM
Until it breaks the plane of the endzone, it is still a live ball. Texas could have fallen on it in the endzone and scored that way too.

Olddawgfan
11-27-2004, 05:35 PM
I am not sure of the legal ruling but A&M never had possession of the ball, it bounced off of two or three players and into the endzone where A&M recovered it........so what is the ruling TXmike?

TXMike
11-27-2004, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by Olddawgfan
I am not sure of the legal ruling but A&M never had possession of the ball, it bounced off of two or three players and into the endzone where A&M recovered it........so what is the ruling TXmike?

It appeared to me that an A & M player had it and then tried to hand off to another player when it came loose. If that is what happened, then the ruling of safety is right (had the kick been a legal kick which it was not). But if A & M never had possession but merely touched it beyond the neutral zone and then they fell on it in end zone, ruling would be no score for either team, play is over (had the kick been a legal kick).

Ranger Mom
11-27-2004, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by wildstangs
Here is what happened. UT lined up to kick the PAT. The snap was bobbled, and the kick didnt even make it to the endzone. Jaxson Appel from A&M tried to move the ball, but then fumbled it into the endzone where another Aggie player fell on the ball. UT was awarded the one point safety. Since the Horns were only going for one point, they were awarded one point on the safety. Its kinda like intercepting a two point conversion attempt and returning it for a TD. Its only worth 2 points.

I give up....I am still confused!!

Okay, so if they had not dropped it and fell on it, but ran it back would it still have been good for 1 point??

I guess that's what's confusing to me....it doesn't matter WHAT endzone you do it in??

TXMike
11-27-2004, 06:32 PM
If A & M had taken it to the house it would have been a 2 point TD for A & M. Anything a team does that would be a safety during anytime other than the extra point attempt will also be a safety during extra points. Difference is that a safety during extra point trys is only 1 point (just a like a "TD" during extra points is only 2 points).

Ranger Mom
11-27-2004, 08:33 PM
Okay..thanks!! I think I got it now!

I printed all of this out and showed my husband. Although he had never heard of a 1 point safety, after reading all that everyone wrote, he understood....and patiently explained it to me!

Our problem was, we were listening to it on the radio, and the announcers were so confused, they in turn confused us.

whtfbplaya
11-28-2004, 02:42 PM
I agree with tx mike the ball was not legally kicked.(pen no points). Other than that they got it right.

3afan
11-28-2004, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by gobblerfan02
IMHO, I think the ball should have been blown dead due to hitting an offensive lineman,...

but thats not the RULE ... don't matter who the ball hits as long as it does not cross the goall line .......the crew got it 100% right & coach fran agreed 'cause he knew the rule !!!

whtfbplaya
11-28-2004, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
but thats not the RULE ... don't matter who the ball hits as long as it does not cross the goall line .......the crew got it 100% right & coach fran agreed 'cause he knew the rule !!!

Closer 50% right it was not a legal kick.

3afan
11-28-2004, 03:23 PM
what was illegal about the kick ??????

fballchick06
11-28-2004, 03:56 PM
the kick was illegal because at the time ball was kicked it was not being held but actually loose on the ground

onfirebball05mustang
11-28-2004, 03:58 PM
this ruling is where all the if's and's or's and but's come into play right?

jason
11-28-2004, 04:20 PM
that does not make it illegal - just clumsy !!!! ;)

LH Panther Mom
11-28-2004, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by onfirebball05mustang
this ruling is where all the if's and's or's and but's come into play right?

Yes, but you forgot "unless". ;)

TXMike
11-28-2004, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by jason
that does not make it illegal - just clumsy !!!! ;)

It does make it illegal. The penalty in this case would have been 15 yards from spot of kick AND loss of down. That would have meant the point Texas got would have been erased and the extra point would not have been replayed because of the loss of down provision.

HornetMom
11-28-2004, 05:00 PM
Thanks TXMike, I was trying to get to your earlier post about this and post it again. Nice to have you on the board to clear up these wierd calls...lol

CHSBaseball07
11-28-2004, 06:52 PM
Texas got a point it dont matter lol

slpybear the bullfan
11-28-2004, 09:42 PM
Just a question...

I thought the safety was awarded because the ball was ruled to have been fumbled out of the back of the A&M endzone, AFTER A&M had established possession.

So the ruling would be similar to a punter stepping out of the back... except 1 point instead of 2 because of the PAT.

Second question...

If it was a safety, why didn't A&M kick off to UT?

Thanks,

TXMike
11-28-2004, 09:45 PM
I think they ruled A & M had possession in the end zone when they fell on it but whether it was that or that the fumble went out back of end zone, it is still a safety since A & M's fumble in the field of play (after the illegal kicking) is what put the ball in the end zone. But since it was a safety during an extra point, it scores 1 point. '

And the reason A & M did not kick off was because it was on an extra point attempt. Whoever scores the TD that leads to the extra point attempt will kick off, regardless of what happens on the extra point.

Leopards,class of 75
11-28-2004, 11:02 PM
You learn something new every day! Thanks mike for clearing this one up for me and everyone else that didn't understand this rule.