DRAGOON
11-27-2004, 04:09 PM
0-0 Half

LH Panther Mom
11-27-2004, 04:34 PM
:eek: Wow!

DRAGOON
11-27-2004, 04:47 PM
7-0 Hallettsville....end of 3rd......PI fumbled in the Hallettsville end zone...

gobblerfan02
11-27-2004, 04:48 PM
what stations are ya'll listenin too? webcast?

DRAGOON
11-27-2004, 05:09 PM
10-0 Hallettsville...3:30 left in the 4th...listening to 99.9 out of Hallettsville......

gobbler grad
11-27-2004, 05:15 PM
come on brahmas,make 26-3A proud
hold on!!

TAMUGRAD
11-27-2004, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by DRAGOON
10-0 Hallettsville...3:30 left in the 4th...listening to 99.9 out of Hallettsville......

Can't pick up the game here. Please let us know the final score.

gobbler grad
11-27-2004, 05:26 PM
You must have to live in Hallettsville to get that station, because I can't get it in Cuero and were only 30 miles away!!!PLEASE UPDATE... ASAP...

centexgobbler
11-27-2004, 05:28 PM
Halletsville won 10-0

TAMUGRAD
11-27-2004, 05:29 PM
Hey DRAGOON, where did you go? How 'bout that score? Has the 3:30 run out? Is the score still 10-0? Please!!!

TAMUGRAD
11-27-2004, 05:30 PM
Thanks Centexgobbler for the score.

Way to go Brahmas!

gobbler grad
11-27-2004, 05:31 PM
Same score it was 25 years ago, except PI won that year

DRAGOON
11-27-2004, 05:32 PM
sorry about being tardy with the updates, but I could only pick up the station in my truck, and I wasn't gonna come inside and post again until the game was over....

gobbler grad
11-27-2004, 05:39 PM
Way to represent 26-3A--:clap: :clap: :clap:
Liberty Hill should be next on the agenda for you guys.
Good luck next week, Gobbler fans will be rooting for you!!!

gobblerfan02
11-27-2004, 05:49 PM
wheeeewwwwwwwwhooooooooooo! Way to go Halletsville, I just knew you would pull it out with your defense, which by the way just posted another shut-out victory! Way to go brahmas!

Gobbler Fan
11-27-2004, 07:02 PM
26-AAA in tha house :clap:

rhs78
11-27-2004, 07:08 PM
great win brahmas thanks for proving me wrong, your defense stepped up big time today,good luck next week keep it rolling
congrats to PI on a great season

Pudlugger
11-27-2004, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by centexgobbler
Halletsville won 10-0

Not surprised, saw their freshman team kick butt on a good LG team in 2002. Guess those kids grew up into some fine athletes. Go Brahmas! Win state.:)

congo
11-27-2004, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by gobblerfan02
wheeeewwwwwwwwhooooooooooo! Way to go Halletsville, I just knew you would pull it out with your defense, which by the way just posted another shut-out victory! Way to go brahmas!

Shut out victory yes it was but they didn't stop PI one bit....It wasn't there defense it was PI's offense or I mean QB with all the fumbles and very costly turnovers forced by him trying to do too much on his own.........He fumbled one foot from the end zone and not to mention on the option he kept throwing it over the running backs head....He had a horrible game and PI had too many penalties also......Hallettsville was not impressive they stunk.......They just had everything go thier way.......PI's defense played great only one missed tackle that cost them that long TD.......Ingleside was way alot better than Hallettsville......If they meet LH they will get blown out just like this game should of been for PI....Until next year PEACE.......

Gobbler Fan
11-27-2004, 08:13 PM
Put it this way H'ville will still be playing football next week .......no if's and's or but's :hand: .....Great season PI:clap:

44INAROW
11-27-2004, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by gobbler grad
Way to represent 26-3A--:clap: :clap: :clap:
Liberty Hill should be next on the agenda for you guys.
Good luck next week, Gobbler fans will be rooting for you!!!

We went to the game....... I was IMPRESSED with the Brahmas' - They looked good...... and we ran into FootballGal and Tarpon in North texas and we took a picture...... It was pretty neat..... :)

44INAROW
11-27-2004, 08:21 PM

footballgal
11-27-2004, 08:26 PM
Congrats to Halletsville, they did just enough to win.

I have totally agree with Congo, PI just shot themselves too many times in the foot. You can't play like that, and expect to win. I am not sure what was going on with our QB,:confused: he for sure had the worst game of the season. Tarpons D was it usual, allowing only 10 points and one in a big play. Nothing worst than loosing games this way, it's one thing to loose because the other team was better and just plain beat you, it's a little harder to swollow when you know you beat yourself.

Also have to agree & say who ever wins Devine/LH, most likely LH, they should have no problem beating this Halletsville team. I guess it just wasn't meant to be. :(

Gobblerfan02, I know you were not there, otherwise you'd know the true story of the game that the shutout came via Tarpons offense. But you're right Brahamas will be playing next week.

Anyhow great season Tarpons and we'll see you back next year! :clap:

BTW, nice to have met you 44inarow! :)I will try to get the pix uploades as soon as I can.

footballgal
11-27-2004, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
We went to the game....... I was IMPRESSED with the Brahmas' - They looked good......

Really?? They were good, but impressive?? I guess thats how it looks, when the other team plays unimpressive? I too think Ingleside was a better team. :confused:

congo
11-27-2004, 08:48 PM
They were not good......And you shall see next week........Their defense is gonna have a tougher time with a team like LH with the run......PI gave them problems but PI helped them out with the fumbles that were not caused by their defense.......Offensively I doubt they will be able to keep up with a high scoring offense like LH........All in all a win is a win and Congrads to the Brahmas........

footballgal
11-27-2004, 09:28 PM
I am glad that I didn't have to drive to the valley today, it would have been a long drive home. I heard that there was some Tarpons fans in an accident right outside Corpus anyone know how they are doing? It was two cars one was flipped over? I was called by a relative, they say it was a black car so they were checking with me, since I have a black car.

CrunkTarpon21
11-27-2004, 09:58 PM
Great season Tarpons. You all played your hearts out. It's a shame how one team has to lose. You all did a great job. I wasn't able to attend the game. I am mad at my mom for that. Me and her got in an argument and she did it on purpose so that I wouldn't make the game as a punishment. :mad: That's another story though. Anyways, you all had a great season, Tarpons. Don't be ashamed. Just keep your heads up. Good season. Good luck to the Brahmas against the Panthers. Peace up, A-Town down.

SintonFan
11-27-2004, 10:23 PM
Sorry about the loss PI. You guys always play great, great football. Keep you heads up and the best of luck to yall next year.:clap: :clap: :clap:

CheerMom
11-27-2004, 10:45 PM
Yes, PI had it's share of offensive trouble(turnovers and penalities), but the Hallettsville D was good. I was at the game and you can't take anything away from the Brahmas. They proved me wrong along with about 95% of the other posters on here. PI looked nothing like the team that Rice played last year. They had no offense whatsoever.
Hallettsville, don't let these people make you think that you are not any good. I watched a very good team today, and ya'll should be proud. I'm glad ya'll proved me wrong, and we'll be there to cheer ya'll on next week.

44INAROW
11-27-2004, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by CheerMom
Yes, PI had it's share of offensive trouble(turnovers and penalities), but the Hallettsville D was good. I was at the game and you can't take anything away from the Brahmas. They proved me wrong along with about 95% of the other posters on here. PI looked nothing like the team that Rice played last year. They had no offense whatsoever.
Hallettsville, don't let these people make you think that you are not any good. I watched a very good team today, and ya'll should be proud. I'm glad ya'll proved me wrong, and we'll be there to cheer ya'll on next week.

DANG I wish I'd of known you were there too......... we were on the 40 yd line......... I saw girl (prob 16 or so) with a Rice shirt on - maybe was your daughter? Wasn't it a beautiful day for a football game?

CheerMom
11-27-2004, 10:56 PM
DANG I wish I'd of known you were there too......... we were on the 40 yd line......... I saw girl (prob 16 or so) with a Rice shirt on - maybe was your daughter? Wasn't it a beautiful day for a football game?

Yep, that was us!! Wish I could have seen you as well. If you go to the Hallettsville game next week let me know and we'll have to meet up.

44INAROW
11-27-2004, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by CheerMom
Yep, that was us!! Wish I could have seen you as well. If you go to the Hallettsville game next week let me know and we'll have to meet up.

will do :)

TINK07
11-27-2004, 11:06 PM
Congrats Brahmas on a great game! Don't let the Tarpon fans fool you, you did play an AWESOME game! I'll be there next week to cheer ya'll on. GO HHS!:clap:

footballgal
11-28-2004, 12:07 AM
Yes, the Brahamas played a great game, no one said they didn't, they made minimal mistakes, they played their game. Tarpons are the ones that didn't play up to their abilities. But, I think the sediment (Tarpon fans) is more that the Tarpons have played better teams and have won that's all, not taking anything from the game that they played. That's just how things work out sometimes.

footballgal
11-28-2004, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by SintonFan
Sorry about the loss PI. You guys always play great, great football. Keep you heads up and the best of luck to yall next year.:clap: :clap: :clap:

Thanks! did you make the game after all?

Gobbla2001
11-28-2004, 12:17 AM
Okay, you all know I like PI, mainly because of Coach Stumbaugh, but also because of their fans...

However, I do not believe Hallettsville reached 12-1 by stinking...

The fumble, in the endzone, I didn't see it... what happened?

Was he untouched, just dropped it?

Did a Hallettsville player hit him to cause him to drop it?

Was it stripped?

Were any of those mistakes caused by Hallettsville confusing PI at all?

The fact is, Hallettsville didn't make as many mistakes, Hallettsville scored 10 points and held you to 0... and if you count the TD, that's still H'Ville 10-7 (assuming the snap and kick were good)...

Maybe PI was better than H'Ville the other 12 games these guys played... But today, on that field, H'Ville made the least mistakes, allowed the least amount of points and scored the most, making them the better team...

It was a win/win situation for me... Either Coach Stump's team won, or our fellow district 26-3A team Hallettsville won, so I'm happy either way...

Congrats on another great season, Tarpons....

footballgal
11-28-2004, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
...However, I do not believe Hallettsville reached 12-1 by stinking...

The fumble, in the endzone, I didn't see it... what happened?

Was he untouched, just dropped it? Yes he was untouched, they (QB/center)missed the exchange.

Were any of those mistakes caused by Hallettsville confusing PI at all? Their defense was good, but Tarpons have played better defenses, it's just our QB had some problems, which I can only assume that maybe it was nerves & he couldn't settle down. Don't really know what happenend to him today, never had seen him have that many mistakes before. I guess he's entitled to have a bad game at one time or another.

The fact is, Hallettsville didn't make as many mistakes, Hallettsville scored 10 points and held you to 0... and if you count the TD, that's still H'Ville 10-7 (assuming the snap and kick were good)...Maybe PI was better than H'Ville the other 12 games these guys played... But today, on that field, H'Ville made the least mistakes, allowed the least amount of points and scored the most, making them the better team... Yep, that's right they did play better than the Tarpons today!
One thing though, who's to say we wouldn't have scored in the 1st half too, when we had that turn over and those drive killers with those penalties in crucial times.

It was a win/win situation for me... Either Coach Stump's team won, or our fellow district 26-3A team Hallettsville won, so I'm happy either way...

Congrats on another great season, Tarpons....

Only one person said they stunk, and I am sure it was said out of fustration than anything. Like you said they couldn't be bad otherwise they wouldn't have been 12-1. Anyhow congrats to Halletville on a game well played

Gobbla2001
11-28-2004, 12:41 AM
"One thing though, who's to say we wouldn't have scored in the 1st have too, when we had that turn over and those drive killers with those penalties in crucial times."

True... But who's to say Hallettsville wouldn't have scored toword the end if the game were 14-10 in favor of PI and they needed a score?

Kinda like the 'Butterfly Effect' Movie I guess heh...

footballgal
11-28-2004, 12:45 AM
I only said it because you brought it up first. :D

But the finality of it is; It is what it is

LH Panther Mom
11-28-2004, 01:00 AM
Well, I have to say, this surprised me. Tough loss, Tarpons. :( Congrats, Brahmas on the win.

faithfuldog
11-28-2004, 01:08 AM
was pulling for PI but things did not work out. congrats on the win H'ville....

bd62
11-28-2004, 01:25 AM
great win hallettsville. people have under estimated you all year and you keep winning. good luck to you guys and cuero rest of year.

footballgal
11-28-2004, 01:41 AM
Fumbled Chance

Costly mistakes end Port Isabel’s seasons

By MIKE GONZALEZ
The Brownsville Herald

http://www.brownsvilleherald.com/images/uploads/11-28PIRUN.jpg
SAN ANTONIO, November 28, 2004 — Last season Port Isabel stood one game from an appearance in the Class 3A state final.

This year, costly mistakes and a stingy Hallettsville defense crushed the Tarpons’ dreams of a state title.

Port Isabel’s postseason run drew to a close Saturday at Alamo Stadium in San Antonio as the Brahmas shutout the Tarpons 10-0 in the Class 3A Division II state regional final. PI ends its remarkable season at 11-2.

After dodging a bullet with three fumbles, none lost in the first half, the Tarpons lost three in the second. In addition to the turnovers, PI also had eight penalties for 43 yards, five illegal procedures and two defensive offsides that gave Hallettsville first downs on both occasions.

What was perhaps the biggest play of the game proved to be the Tarpons most costly error.

With 1:04 left and Port Isabel down 7-0, it looked as if they were getting ready to tie it up. But on third-and-goal and inches from the end zone, quarterback Lando Ochoa couldn’t hold on to the snap as he tried to sneak in, resulting in a fumble in the end zone as Brahmas linebacker Tyler Pekar recovered to end the threat.

Following a scoreless first half, Brahmas’ Dustin Pekar decided to take matters into his own hands. The tailback broke through on an 81-yard run on Hallettsville’s third play from scrimmage in the second half to break the scoreless tie. Pekar’s dash proved to be the only TD of the contest. An extra point from place-kicker Nick Nicholson gave the Brahmas a 7-0 lead.

Late in the third quarter, Port Isabel appeared to have finally found its offensive rhythm. Ochoa led the way as he had runs of 28 and 32 yards to give the Tarpons a first-and-goal at the 7-yard line. Two plays later, Ochoa coughed up the ball and the momentum instantaneously returned in Hallettsville’s favor.

Port Isabel coach Monty Stumbaugh said the turnover was the turning point of the game.

"If we score, we tie it up," Stumbaugh said. "You never know, the kids get momentum. We didn’t execute well today, and they (Hallettsville) had a good defense."

Still, Ochoa was solid on the ground as he finished the game with 100 yards on 17 carries despite only getting minus four yards in the first half.

"The ball didn’t bounce our way," Ochoa said.

Early in the fourth quarter and still down 7-0, the Tarpons put together an impressive 63-yard drive down to the Hallettsville’s 33-yard line. Unfortunately for PI, the turnover bug struck again as Ochoa’s second fumble gave the Brahmas its second turnover.

Hallettsville then marched down the field keeping PI’s offense on the sideline. Converting on three third downs, the Brahmas increased their lead following Nicholson’s 34-yard field goal with 3:22 left.

Port Isabel had one last shot as Brahmas running back Parris Brown (25 carries, 52 yards) fumbled the ball giving the Tarpons good field position at the Hallettsville 33-yard line.

After an incomplete pass, the Tarpons tried a trick play as Frankie Herrera got the toss from Ochoa and lateraled it back to a PI back. A fumble on the run ended the threat.

Tarpons’ running back Johnny Nieto rushed for 62 yards on 10 carries and gave the Tarpon faithful one last positive memory as he ran 25-yards down the sideline, which proved to be his longest carry of the game.

"I felt like crying," Nieto said. "On the play, I went all out. It felt good that it happened."

With the game tied at the half, Nieto felt his team was still in good position to pull out the win.

"We felt we were there throughout the game," Nieto said. "Unfortunately, we didn’t come out on top."

Hallettsville’s defense slowed down Port Isabel’s option offense as they held them to 174 yards rushing and 202 yards total.

Coming into the game, the Tarpons averaged 339 yards on the ground. Hallettsville coach Kyle Taylor was proud of the way his defense performed.

"In my 20 years of coaching, that defense was by far the best,” Taylor said.

http://www.brownsvilleherald.com/sports_more.php?id=62457_0_9_0_M37

pirate4state
11-28-2004, 01:44 AM
:eek: I was shocked when I spoke w/ Missle this afternoon & he told me PI had lost!! :( We are feeling your pain PI. :weeping: Like we've been telling our boys, hold your heads up high you've made your teammates, coaches & communities proud!! :clap: We'll look for you guys in the spring! :D

Congrats to Hallettsville on your win. :clap:

super1
11-28-2004, 02:19 AM
Congratulations to the Brahmas on a hard fought victory. It's true that PI shot themselves in the foot at times, but the Brahma defense played a great game on top of that....end result being a 10-0 shutout.
And the remarks by the poster saying that Hallettsville "stunk" was just sour grapes and I'm sure it was said out of frustration.
Perhaps PI HAS played against some better defenses than Hallettsville.....as I'm sure that Hallettsville has played against some better offenses than PI.

Way to go, Brahmas!! Best of Luck against Liberty Hill. Enjoy playing football in December!!

44INAROW
11-28-2004, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by congo
Shut out victory yes it was but they didn't stop PI one bit....It wasn't there defense it was PI's offense or I mean QB with all the fumbles and very costly turnovers forced by him trying to do too much on his own.........He fumbled one foot from the end zone and not to mention on the option he kept throwing it over the running backs head....He had a horrible game and PI had too many penalties also......Hallettsville was not impressive they stunk.......They just had everything go thier way.......PI's defense played great only one missed tackle that cost them that long TD.......Ingleside was way alot better than Hallettsville......If they meet LH they will get blown out just like this game should of been for PI....Until next year PEACE.......

:mad: :mad: :flamingma :flamingma

congo
11-29-2004, 09:56 AM
:mad: :mad: :flamingma :flamingma

:hand: :clap: :clap:

HBsr
11-29-2004, 10:44 AM

were you even at the game????

HBsr
11-29-2004, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by footballgal
Congrats to Halletsville, they did just enough to win.

I have totally agree with Congo, PI just shot themselves too many times in the foot. You can't play like that, and expect to win. I am not sure what was going on with our QB,:confused: he for sure had the worst game of the season. Tarpons D was it usual, allowing only 10 points and one in a big play. Nothing worst than loosing games this way, it's one thing to loose because the other team was better and just plain beat you, it's a little harder to swollow when you know you beat yourself.

Also have to agree & say who ever wins Devine/LH, most likely LH, they should have no problem beating this Halletsville team. I guess it just wasn't meant to be. :(

Gobblerfan02, I know you were not there, otherwise you'd know the true story of the game that the shutout came via Tarpons offense. But you're right Brahamas will be playing next week.

whats up with all the excuses? you guys lost.... thats all there is to it... sorry.. better luck next year

CrunkTarpon21
11-29-2004, 11:26 AM
They're not excuses, it's the truth. It doesn't matter though, you all won and that's all there is to it. You all just played better football that day. Tarpon fans, don't be sore losers. We lost because of our mistakes, but we still lost. Let's not make excuses and just move on. They just played better football that day that's it. We're going to have to wait until next year. Good luck Brahmas. Peace up, A-Town down.

footballgal
11-29-2004, 11:40 AM
PI made crucial mistakes, Hallettsville didn't

Hallettsville moves on PI doesn't

No excuses, just the facts

Congrats to Halletville and good luck this week

rhs78
11-29-2004, 11:47 AM
amen footballgal, enough said on this topic brahmas won and that should be that. congrats to tarpons on another great season

honeymd
11-29-2004, 12:24 PM
Congo's right...and yes, I saw the game. This is an obvious case of a better team losing. Even the winner's know this. But, they won...and that's all that matters and you must congratulate the winner of any game regardless of how it happened. Go to valleymorningstar.com or brownsvilleherald.com sports if you want to read about the 6 fumbles, etc.

Now, for predictions: Liberty Hill slaughters Halletsville. Marlin wins state.

See ya next year.

congo
11-29-2004, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by honeymd
Congo's right...and yes, I saw the game. This is an obvious case of a better team losing. Even the winner's know this. But, they won...and that's all that matters and you must congratulate the winner of any game regardless of how it happened. Go to valleymorningstar.com or brownsvilleherald.com sports if you want to read about the 6 fumbles, etc.

See ya next year.

Finally someone sees what i've been trying to say.........I know Hallettsville won and PI lost just stating what I saw and yes I was at the game......Why else would I be stating my opinion????If my opinion hurts you all too MFing bad........I'm not being a sour grape about the loss........Its more about the play of the Tarpons because they played terrible.....I'm proud on what the Tarpons accomplished this year no matter what......I felt last year eventhough i'm an Ex Tarpon and am still a fan that Rice was a better team than PI but PI still won..........LH will beat Hallettsville and everyone will see what I meant by them not being as good as you all think they are..........But LH's defense is weak so I can't really say what I said earlier about it being a cake walk......Good luck Hallettsville and LH.........You both deserve to be there after your WINs........

super1
11-29-2004, 04:13 PM
My goodness. Some people are sure full of themselves.
Some people just can't accept defeat without a backhanded comment. I know that lack of class isn't indicative of the average Tarpon fan. I saw too many of them in San Antonio who gave congratulations without excuses to think otherwise.

Good teams can make mistakes and still win a ball game. Boerne lost 4 fumbles IN THE FIRST HALF against Harlandale and still won the ball game.

It was a hard fought game played by two teams very similar in ability. To come back and say that PI is STILL the better team is ridiculous. Mistakes and fumbles are part of the game. What are you saying about your team when you say they lost to a supposedly inferior team? And if you are so sure that Hallettsville will lose to Liberty Hill, which is very possible, then you must also be saying that PI would also lose.
Incredible!!
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

LH Panther Mom
11-29-2004, 05:18 PM
But LH's defense is weak so I can't really say what I said earlier about it being a cake walk......

:mad: You may consider our defense weak, but it has been good enough to get us where we are & on to Round 4. I would say that holding a 2003 All-State Second Team back to 97 yards on Saturday is anything but weak. :eek:

rhs78
11-29-2004, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
:mad: You may consider our defense weak, but it has been good enough to get us where we are & on to Round 4. I would say that holding a 2003 All-State Second Team back to 97 yards on Saturday is anything but weak. :eek:
You go LHpanthermom,tell them who is still playing!!!!! good luck saturday

CrunkTarpon21
11-29-2004, 06:22 PM
Not to try to put them down or anything, but Liberty Hill's defense is not that great. I've seen them play many times this year. The reason that they are this deep in the playoffs is because of their offense. They have an awesome offense. Their offense does everything. About PI losing to Hallettsville, yeah we lost. It's over and done with. I too think we lost to an inferior team, but that's not what matters. What matters is that they're moving on and we're not. About last year against Rice, I don't think we were inferior to them or else it wouldn't have ever gone to 4 OT's. We had a lot of speed last year. That's what helped us. Anyways, I think that the Panthers will take the Brahmas with no problem. Good luck to both teams. Peace up, A-Town down.

footballgal
11-29-2004, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by rhs78
You go LHpanthermom,tell them who is still playing!!!!! good luck saturday

Yes, Tarpons aren't playing anymore but, neither is Rice, so let's not go there. ;)

rhs78
11-29-2004, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by footballgal
Yes, Tarpons aren't playing anymore but, neither is Rice, so let's not go there. ;)
i know rice isn't playing anymore,we sure didn't make excuses up when we lost, we simple lost to a better team on that particular day and we except it no hard feelings against cameron or PI for last year. Its very simple someone wins and someone has to lose each game.

footballgal
11-29-2004, 07:38 PM
IMO, facts and excuses are not the same thing. However the outcome of the game is what it is, nothing will change that. What I don't agree with here is, just because someone states the reason they think PI lost it's considered unacceptable to even mention & it's automatically considered an excuse?? That’s not to say that I agree with someone insulting the other team, plus I expect congratulations to the other team. BTW, you mean to tell me, that when you had a loss you had nothing to say? Nothing about why you think you lost, or mention things you think you could have done better, even among friends? I seriously doubt it. Even in professionals there are game analyst talking about the game, after the game has been played.

big daddy russ
11-29-2004, 08:02 PM
Look guys, some inferior teams win and some great teams lose in the playoffs. It's just the way things work. Mathis was inferior to just about everyone back in 1999, but they wound up in the title game. Port Isabel was inferior to Aransas Pass back in 2002, but AP lost. The teams who won managed to take advantage of every mistake the other team made. They turned even the slightest miscue into a critical mistake.

Hallettsville did it this year. They might lose against LH, and they might win. That's why they play the games. Who knows, they may make a run similar to Mathis and beat every team they weren't supposed to.

Still, PI had a great season and there's nothing to hang your heads about. If you keep up with the "woulda, coulda, shoulda's" it'll haunt you for the rest of your lives. You had an awesome season and earned the respect of everyone on a statewide level. There are so many teams that would love to have made it as far as you (my Mustangs are one of those teams). It says a lot about your kids and your coaching staff that you made it this far. Over the course of the last three years, you've had an awesome run. A lot has to go right to get those rings. You can't win state every year, but if you keep plugging, you'll get there someday.

footballgal
11-29-2004, 08:10 PM
Thanks Big Daddy Russ!

I humbly accept and agree with your comments.

CrunkTarpon21
11-29-2004, 08:33 PM
Touche

HBsr
11-29-2004, 11:02 PM

See ya next year.

slaughters eh?... nothing is ever what it seems sweetheart.

HBsr
11-29-2004, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by CrunkTarpon21
Not to try to put them down or anything, but Liberty Hill's defense is not that great. I've seen them play many times this year. The reason that they are this deep in the playoffs is because of their offense. They have an awesome offense. Their offense does everything. About PI losing to Hallettsville, yeah we lost. It's over and done with. I too think we lost to an inferior team, but that's not what matters. What matters is that they're moving on and we're not. About last year against Rice, I don't think we were inferior to them or else it wouldn't have ever gone to 4 OT's. We had a lot of speed last year. That's what helped us. Anyways, I think that the Panthers will take the Brahmas with no problem. Good luck to both teams. Peace up, A-Town down.

just because hallettsville hasnt been in the playoffs in awhile does not mean they are an inferior team... this year we play with our hearts and as a team unlike past years... i already stated my opinion on this position and stated also that PI had a damn good season and a great game... if pi was so much of a superior team, what was with the many mistakes? think about it...

honeymd
11-30-2004, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by HBsr
slaughters eh?... nothing is ever what it seems sweetheart.

I'm not your sweetheart.

footballgal
11-30-2004, 08:51 AM
SPORTS
Tarpons final valley team to exit state playoffs
By ROY HESS
The Brownsville Herald

SAN ANTONIO, November 28, 2004 — Tarpon time ran out Saturday afternoon.

The Port Isabel Tarpons became the final Rio Grande Valley team to bow out of the state football playoffs after a 10-0 loss to the Hallettsville Brahmas in the Class 3A Division II regional semifinals at San Antonio’s Alamo Stadium.

"I guess we didn’t have that much luck today," said PI middle linebacker Frankie Herrera, whose four-year career as a Tarpon starter came to an end.

The Tarpons’ defeat came on the heels of Friday’s losses by San Benito and La Joya, the Valley’s two other teams that went into the weekend with hopes of advancing.

In Class 5A playoff action on Friday, San Benito lost to Smithson Valley 51-0 and La Joya fell to Converse Judson 43-14.

There were approximately 60 family members of Tarpon running back Johnny "Nitro" Nieto on hand Saturday at Alamo Stadium to support the senior two-way standout. They came from the Valley, Austin, San Antonio and Laredo. Twelve of them, including Nieto’s mother, Diana Medina, packed into a white Ford van with the words "Nitro Express" painted in big, white letters, on a side window to make the four-hour journey from the Valley to San Antonio for the game.

After it was over, Medina said she was disappointed due to the loss, but was glad that she and her relatives had made the trip to cheer on her son and the rest of the Tarpons.

"I feel sad that they lost, but I’m proud because they played a good game," she said. "I’m very proud of my son Johnny. He’s No. 1."

Added Richard Martinez, a 29-year-old Port Isabel resident who is Nieto’s older brother: "Win or lose, we’re behind Johnny 100 percent. Even if he makes it for college, we’ll be there to support him. The Tarpons just had too many mistakes today. That was the difference."

The Tarpons and Brahmas played to a scoreless deadlock in the first half. Hallettsville’s Dustin Pekar broke loose for an 81-yard touchdown less than two minutes into the third quarter and teammate Nick Nicholson booted a 34-yard field goal with 3:32 left to seal PI’s fate.

"It feels good to have a lot of people (family) there supporting you," Nieto said. "Today was a tough game. Hallettsville is a good team and our mistakes cost us. I’m sorry we weren’t able to get a win."

The announced attendance for the game was 4,000. It appeared that the blue-clad PI fans outnumbered the maroon-attired Hallettsville crowd at least two-to-one.

Noel Nino, 45, moved from Port Isabel to Brownsville 11 years ago, but said he remains a Tarpon fan. He stood in line from approximately an hour Saturday before the Alamo Stadium gates opened.

"I’ve been following the Tarpons a long time and we enjoy coming to San Antonio to see them (win or lose)," he said.

Also waiting in ticket line before the game were Omar Gonzales, his wife Dena and three young sons. He was one of a number of San Benito fans who watched the Greyhounds’ game in the Alamodome on Friday and spent the night in San Antonio so he could watch PI on Saturday. Several purple shirts and jackets displaying San Benito’s school color were mixed in with the Tarpon crowd.

"It was great for the Greyhounds to go 12-0 (before losing Friday)," he said. "We follow the Greyhounds all the way and we’re happy to support Port Isabel, too. We’ll cheer for PI and wish them the best, too."

----------------------------------------------------------

http://www.brownsvilleherald.com/images/uploads/RoyHess.jpg

Saying goodbye to football

Nov. 30, 2004 — We all most made it to December.

But losses by Port Isabel, San Benito and La Joya over the weekend in the state playoffs brought an end to another high school football season in the Rio Grande Valley.

And just like always, it was a season that finished all too soon.

Looking back, La Joya and San Benito were pretty much heavy underdogs against their Class 5A state-ranked opponents on Friday, and there was the feeling that regardless of where their games were played, the outcome was going to be a defeat for the Valley.

Still, La Joya deserves credit for taking a chance on a home-and-home coin flip that wound up in the Coyotes’ favor. The Coyotes figured that if the Rockets were going to beat them, they might as well make them travel four-plus hours to the Valley to do it.

It also gave many Valley fans an opportunity to see one of the state’s top teams in action. A clear majority of the 14,000 fans in attendance at Friday’s game in La Joya came to cheer for the Coyotes, but the Rockets (13-0) are just too good. After spotting La Joya a 7-0 lead, they rolled to a 43-14 win.

For San Benito, there was a very different approach to its game site. Greyhound coach Mario Peña wanted his players to have the experience of playing in the Alamodome in San Antonio. Nevermind that the Greyhounds were playing in Smithson Valley’s backyard.

The Greyhounds can look back on this season and always remember the magic of going 12-0 prior to Friday’s game. They can even say that they played in the Alamodome, but they may not want to remember so fondly the score (51-0) against Smithson Valley (11-2).

And then there was PI. The Tarpons were considered by many to be the Valley team with the best chance to advance. But too many penalties, too many dropped passes and too many fumbles at the wrong times did in PI by a 10-0 score against Hallettsville (12-1).

Maybe those season-ending losses by the Greyhounds and Coyotes were a little easier to accept because La Joya and San Benito were beaten by teams that were clearly better. But in PI’s case, it just didn’t feel that way. It was a frustrating experience for the Tarpon players, coaches and fans alike because if not for its mistakes, PI could easily have been the team moving on.

Of course, there’s nothing that can be done about it now other than for the Tarpons to turn their frustration into a motivation to do better next year

--------------------------------------------------------
http://www.brownsvilleherald.com/sports.php

BULLDOGFAN
11-30-2004, 09:21 AM
This late in November many variables affect the outcome of a game and Superior and Inferior really have nothing to do with it.

It all boil's down to injuries, mental execution, luck, and who wants it more.

The mental toughness needed right now for every football game is unimaginable.

In 2002 Bandera was picked to lose every single game during their playoff run, yet in the end they won it all.

When you see the same teams year after year this late in the season obviously you know that they know how to win. It just doesn't happen to be their day.

Of course I always have my favorite team, and it is always hard to win, but is their no better high for a Football Player to still be playing this late in November.

Don't cheapen a win and never degrade a playoff loss.

rhs78
11-30-2004, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by BULLDOGFAN
This late in November many variables affect the outcome of a game and Superior and Inferior really have nothing to do with it.

In 2002 Bandera was picked to lose every single game during their playoff run, yet in the end they won it all.

When you see the same teams year after year this late in the season obviously you know that they know how to win. It just doesn't happen to be their day.

Of course I always have my favorite team, and it is always hard to win, but is their no better high for a Football Player to still be playing this late in November.

great post BULLDOGFAN, i saw that bandera team in 2002, it was amasing that they were able to win it all, they beat rice 37-34 great game, it seemed like every game was about the same ,should not win ,but they won each week. thks for reminding me.

HBsr
11-30-2004, 10:57 AM
I'm not your sweetheart.

thank God for that one :)

honeymd
11-30-2004, 03:35 PM
So don't refer to me as such.

Kool Tarpon 21
11-30-2004, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by BULLDOGFAN

I agree with you too. Bandera that year won against us in a close game as well. The score was 27 - 24. I'm never going to forget that blocked punt. :( Anyways, the point is that Hallettsville played a better game that day and that's all there is to it. They won and that's the end of the story. Good luck Brahmas. Peace up, A-Town down.

HBsr
11-30-2004, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by Kool Tarpon 21
I agree with you too. Bandera that year won against us in a close game as well. The score was 27 - 24. I'm never going to forget that blocked punt. :( Anyways, the point is that Hallettsville played a better game that day and that's all there is to it. They won and that's the end of the story. Good luck Brahmas. Peace up, A-Town down.

thanks for your support:)