PDA

View Full Version : BCS System (In Or Not)

CHSBaseball07
11-27-2004, 03:09 PM
Ok Ok i want someone that KNOWS what they are talkin about to tell me if Texas is in or not............................................... .... and an explanation why or why not..........

this is the right rankings for the BCS right??

1.) USC
2.) OU
3.) Auburn
4.) Cal
5.) Texas
6. Utah

so is Texas in or not?

jmcgee
11-27-2004, 03:10 PM
i think texas is out

CHSBaseball07
11-27-2004, 03:11 PM
and your reasoning is?? .......dont just say in or out.....i wanna know why

jmcgee
11-27-2004, 03:11 PM
But i dont really know. I hate bcs they should have a playoff system

CHSBaseball07
11-27-2004, 03:15 PM
True......BCS is so stupid........heck... who knows who could beat who if ya cant play nobody

HighSchool Fan
11-27-2004, 03:17 PM
i'm not for sure, but i think texas is out because of michigan getting to go to the rose bowl.

Bellville22
11-27-2004, 03:45 PM
At this point, Texas is not in. While the Horns are in the top 6, they are not guaranteed a spot...

There are 8 slots. The 6 BCS Conference Champs get a spot, Texas is not one since OU or ISU/CU will win the Big XII. That leaves 2 "at-large" selections. Since Utah is a non-BCS conference team and in the top 6, they automatically get one. There is virtually no way they can fall from that 6th spot. That leaves one "at-large" bid left...

While alot can happen should upsets occur, right now it comes down to Cal and Texas for the final spot. Cal is 4th in the BCS, which is huge, because a top 4 team who will not win their conference (USC wins Pac-10) automatically gets the bid. Therefore, the only way Texas can get the bid is if they pass Cal in the standings (or USC should they lose twice). A Cal loss at Southern Miss would certainly vault UT into the #4 spot. However, Texas has closed the gap on Cal, and looked pretty solid vs. A&M. So if Cal wins, but struggles, they have a chance to simply overtake them in the standings. The problem for Texas is that they lost to the #2 team by 12 points, while Cal lost to the #1 team by 6, in a game that came down to the final play.

So barring a huge upset to USC or Cal, Texas has a very slim chance to get a spot. Looking like a trip to the Cotton Bowl for the Horns.

I think the BCS sucks, but that's the way it plays out this year.

JasperDog94
11-27-2004, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by Bellville22
...because a top 4 team who will not win their conference (USC wins Pac-10) automatically gets the bid.
Okay, how about this scenario:

Cal loses and Texas jumps to #4. That would mean they get an automatic birth. That leaves a Utah and Boise St. with 5 and 6 which are also guaranteed automatic births. How would that shake down?

onfirebball05mustang
11-27-2004, 04:02 PM
wow..that makes a little sense....too much to go wrong or right....although not a horn fan...I hope they make it to bcs...:D

too many cause-effect scenarios to run a yes or a no guess yet:eek: we may just have to wait and see!

Bellville22
11-27-2004, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94

Cal loses and Texas jumps to #4. That would mean they get an automatic birth. That leaves a Utah and Boise St. with 5 and 6 which are also guaranteed automatic births. How would that shake down?

Good question...

Should Boise St. get into the top 6, they too would get an automatic bid because of the non-BCS conference top 6 rule, which takes precedence over the top 4 BCS rule. So if Cal loss, Texas went to #4, and Boise St. went to #6, Texas still wouldn't get a bid.

In my opinion, I think that either Georgia or Miami will jump Boise St, unless they put up an impressive win over Nevada tonight. Especially if Cal were to lose, I think you might see one of those teams jump them (a little college football politics). But that's just my opinion. Should the above scenario play out, then yes, Boise gets a bid.

CHSBaseball07
11-27-2004, 05:08 PM
Do the people of the NCAA see that this system doesnt work...good lord every coach they talked to yesterday during the Texas game and after said it was dumb......Take a vote and i bet EVERY COACH Votes against it!

KTJ
11-27-2004, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94

In that scenario, Texas is still out because a non-BCS conference rule trumps a BCS-Conference team in the top 4 rule.

KTJ
11-27-2004, 06:11 PM
Yes the BCS sucks. Everyone knows that. The problem that I have is that the college presidents are the ones who have the power to override it but the majority of college presidents are in favor of the BCS system and not a playoff. Why, I don't know.

CHSBaseball07
11-27-2004, 06:23 PM
b/c the presidents of Utah and Boise State know they wouldnt go anywhere in the playoffs so they vote for the BCS lol

and my other answer is b/c they are complete

IDIOTS

onfirebball05mustang
11-27-2004, 07:11 PM
too true...i think goin to playoffs would bring in more money for the schools/programs....it's a wonder they dont do anything about it, but then again, if that's the way it's been, why would we (the school heads) want to change it anyway?

Idiots, i agree!:D

Hupernikomen
11-27-2004, 09:51 PM
If Texas is not in the championship game how much does a BCS game really matter?

Here are a few things I see as important:

1. Major exposure (seems we have no problem with exposure but future athletes want to think they are coming to a big time program who makes BCS games..I guess)

2. Loads more money...I don't Texas has ever hurt for anything.

3. Pride

Bottomline no matter what bowl game they go to if the win they are pretty certain of top 3 or 4 finish in the polls at the end of the year.