PDA

View Full Version : How many small towns have you learned about from 3ADownlow.

cunbed10
10-07-2003, 10:29 AM
I took my map out the other day, and I look for some names of town that I have seen on this board, and you would be amazed at the whereabouts of some of these towns. I never knew!

Ray_BearKat
10-07-2003, 10:52 AM
Same here, I couldn't tell you were Marlin was if my life depended on it. I'd be circling my finger around north texas, its around that area up there. Ask me about South Texas and I could give you directions and the quickest route. Anyways Texas is too big to know where everything is at, you could survive on a need to know basis.

coiled2strike
10-07-2003, 10:58 AM
I miss the small town football in East Texas where I grew up playing/Evadale...we used to have some good matchups with Burkeville, Chester,Colmesneil(sp)...but I moved away to attend A&M and lost touch...anything good going on in 1-A football in small town USA...I only hear about Newton,K'ville,Jasper and how bad Kountze and Buna are...

SintonFan
10-07-2003, 11:06 AM
I always thought Marlin was a big fish. Why would a town named after a big fish be landlocked in the middle of Texas? Must of been one heckofa local fish story. I have looked up on a map Bridge City, Everman(never found it), Burnet, La Grange, Rice(never found it), La Vernia(passed right through it and didn't know it), Bellville, Raymondville(passed right through it and slowed way down because of cops), Zapata(can you be more isolated?), Yoakum, Commerce, and many others I can't remember right now.

Ray_BearKat
10-07-2003, 11:14 AM
I know what you mean,SintonFan. Has the highway always looped around Sinton. Because now I seem to pass around Sinton and forget theres a town there. Most of the small towns I know of are highway towns. The only reason you pass them is because they're b/w you and your destination. Maybe just stop to get some gas and a snack then head on your way.

<small>[ October 07, 2003, 11:15 AM: Message edited by: Ray_BearKat ]</small>

CatWoman
10-07-2003, 11:17 AM
There are many towns I have heard about on this board and wondered where in the world is that. A lot of East Texas and South Texas towns especially. But it's fun to find out about them.

SintonFan
10-07-2003, 11:18 AM
Naw, Sinton wasn't bypassed until the '80s. You had to go through it before that. Something to consider, don't speed between Sinton and Refugio. I know some of those troopers and they patrol that area religously.

underware
10-07-2003, 11:43 AM
Did quite a bit of searching myself. Love these small towns. FYI: When looking for Rice Consol. It is in Altair, Tx. Not much there, but it does include Eagle Lake, Texas. I think Gobbla knows where I'm talking about.

Ranger Mom
10-07-2003, 11:46 AM
Before I joined this board, if it wasn't in West Texas, I hadn't heard of it.

Last year when my husband got "THE BIBLE" I went and got "the map" and we spent a couple of hours just looking up 3A towns.

We REALLY need to get out more!! :D :D

Gobbla2001
10-07-2003, 11:49 AM
Yessir, sure do...

Altair's pretty much at a cross-roads with a 4-way-stop intersection... Isn't the population of 'Altair' around 30? Forget the pop. of Eagle Lake, though, the duck-hunting capital of the world...

Eagle Lake is what? 5 miles up the road from the school?

Bellville22
10-07-2003, 11:52 AM
It is pretty neat how much you learn. Usually you don't know where towns are, even when you meet up with them in the playoffs.

As I drove to Dallas last weekend, I saw signs for Marlin, Fairfield, Mexia, Grosebeck, Crockett. Then up north I figured out where Everman, Celina, Pilot Point, and Daingerfield are. Didn't really know where these towns were before, and once I saw them, it was cool to know so much about the town and the program.

underware
10-07-2003, 11:53 AM
That's right Gobbla on the populations. But I forgot about Eagle Lake's claim to fame....Duck Hunting. Kinda reminds me of Howard the Duck?? I think I'm losing track here??

Gobbla2001
10-07-2003, 11:56 AM
Yah, I always used to wonder about that duck-hunting capital of the world claim...

We used to go through Altair and Eagle Lake to get to my aunt and uncle's in Sealy and always wondering about that sign about the duck hunting...

Dunno if it's something they've let get to their heads or if it's really true because I don't remember hearing about Eagle Lake on the Saturday morning fishing/hunting shows of my youth...

underware
10-07-2003, 12:00 PM
Yeah Gobbla, been through many a times. I think it's a speed trap too?? At least that's whet I've been told. I guess every little town needs a reference. I think Yoakum is the Land of Leather. Sounds kinda kinky to me. hehehe

Gobbla2001
10-07-2003, 12:02 PM
Ha, Yoakum, kinky, ha...

Yah, Cuero's the Turkey Capital of the World, unless Ruby (our Turkey) loses in the race against Worthington, Minn's turkey 'Paycheck' this Saturday at the Turkeyfest Parade...

Accually every part of the road in between Halletsville and Eagle Lake is a speed trap...

BIG19
10-07-2003, 12:20 PM
Correction must be made, Eagle Lake is the Goose Hunting Capital.........

underware
10-07-2003, 12:24 PM
Potato, patato, tomato, tamato. I know...shut up. :p

Gobbla2001
10-07-2003, 12:25 PM
There we go, Goose...

BIG19
10-07-2003, 12:31 PM
underware:
Potato, patato, tomato, tamato. I know...shut up. :p If that is the case, then it might as well be TURKEY.... :p

underware
10-07-2003, 12:33 PM
I really don't think Gobbla would mind. YeeHaw!

cunbed10
10-07-2003, 02:17 PM
underware:
I really don't think Gobbla would mind. YeeHaw!Small towns with big hearts, that's why 3ADownlow is a family channel. :D :D :D

20dawgz05
10-07-2003, 04:33 PM
well i know ppl used to say burnet wheres that when i would say where i was from and now they are like burnet oh yall are the good football team right!! so its kinda cool to be known

CowboyFan
10-07-2003, 05:19 PM
I think the Yoakum land of leather days are coming up!! I could be very wrong I just think I saw that on a billboard or something...One town to stay away from is Luling um...if you've been there you might understand

Gobbla2001
10-07-2003, 05:20 PM
Talking bout the smell, Cowboyfan? Ha...

Smells like money...

Turkeyfest is this weekend...

Hopefully we'll get on the Food Network again...

Go Ruby, kick Paycheck's butt...

Bandera YaYa
10-07-2003, 05:22 PM
I get my Texas map out and look up towns I've never heard of on here....and there are alot of them! I also was looking for Marlin around the coast...couldn't believe where I found it! Texas is just so darn BIG! :D

Gobbla2001
10-07-2003, 05:23 PM
Yah, I always thought Marlin's name suggested they were on an oil-rig platform out in the Gulf...

Oh well...

CowboyFan
10-07-2003, 05:24 PM
Yea, I hate going through there(smell), with the watermelon water tower(that unique), the oil drill things all along the road...

sinton66
10-07-2003, 05:47 PM
During the offseason, SinFan75 started a thread about all the really small places in Texas that don't even have a school, maybe just a bar and a convienience store at a stop sign. You'd be surprized how many we were able to come up with.

exbccards76'smom
10-07-2003, 05:58 PM
I have learned of Sinton, Pilot Point(passed the exit to it going to Ardmore, OK on i-35),elgin,Mexia, Sweeney, groesbeck. This is a very interesting place we got here.

BrahmaMom
10-07-2003, 06:29 PM
I love the small Texas towns and navigate through the state by places we've played one sport or another throughout the years. Went to undergrad at SWTSU (now Texas State-ugh)and knew people from small towns all over--several from the Goose Hunting Capital of the World, and yes, that is how they identified their town way back then! Give me the small town friendliness over big city hassles any time!

cunbed10
10-08-2003, 07:21 AM
Where is Buna located?

Backwoods
10-08-2003, 08:37 AM
SE Texas on Highway 96 between Silsbee and Kirbyville. :rolleyes:

EndzoneJR43
10-08-2003, 10:08 AM
Well I'm sure a lot of Texans know where Elgin is.
Home of the famous Elgin hot sausage, and the Wildcats, located on 290.

My nephew Phillip Rodriguez plays on varsity.
GO PHILLIP....This is Scott and your Senior Year.
WE ARE PROUD OF YOU BOTH!!