PDA

View Full Version : (6) Texas vs. (22) Texas A&M

KTJ
11-25-2004, 12:21 PM
Well the day as finally come for Texas vs. Texas A&M. Some people on this board have been waiting for this day all season. While to others, this is just another game. State bragging rights are on the line for this game as well as certain bowl games. Texas could get into the BCS with a convincing win, although that isn’t a given. A&M could go to the Cotton Bowl with a win, something that would be a huge step for that program. As of right now, Texas is riding high with a 9-1 record and going 5-0 since the loss to OU back in October. A&M is 7-3 with close calls against Tech and Colorado and a loss to Baylor. However, while both of those stats will have a factor, they will be minimal at best. The key battle the entire game, and something everyone is already focused on is Vince vs. Reggie. The battle will commence on Friday afternoon. So let’s take a look at both schools. (I am going to be as unbiased as I possibly can, although I will still receive flack from some posters out there—I already know it.)

Texas A&M (7-3, 5-2)

To say A&M is having a good season would be about right. It could have been better and it sure could have been worse. A&M is a fumble away from losing to Colorado, one of the worst teams in the Big 12; however, A&M was a touchdown away (I think—can’t remember the exact score) from tying OU, the best team in the Big 12. The bottom line is that Fran is turning things around at A&M and they are happy about that. A&M is lead by QB Reggie McNeal who is the key to the Aggie offense. McNeal has outperformed himself compared to last year where he struggled with A&M only winning 4 games. The only thing that I think is suspect of A&M is their defense. While scoring a lot against OU, the defense still managed to give up 40+ points, as weill as 30+ to Baylor and 20+ to Colorado. But the interesting thing about A&M is that when their defense DOES give up those points, their offense comes right back on the field and gets those points back, which keeps A&M in the game. For Texas to win, we have to keep the A&M defense on the field and wear them out. If not, our defense will have to be in the best shape they’ve ever been in this year to contain Reggie and Co.

Reggie McNeal
- Ranks 3rd in the Big 12 in the Quarterback Rating
- 157-268 (Completions/Passes), 2303 yards, 12 TD’s (3rd in the Big 12)
- 6-2, 260 lbs
- Junior
- 11-11 Record as a starter
- 2 Interceptions
- 125-693 (Rushes/Yards)
- 8 Touchdown Runs

Another threat would be Courtney Lewis.

Courtney Lewis
-Ranks 10th in the Big 12 in Rushing
-162/733 (Carries/Yards)
-4.5 YPC (Yards per Carry
-9 TD’s

Texas A&M
-Ranks 5th in the Big 12 in Scoring (32.1 PPG)
-Ranks 4th in the Big 12 in Rushing (189.9 YPG)
-Ranks 2nd in the Big 12 in Passing (264.6 PYPG)

The A&M offense has vastly improved. They will try to stymie the Texas D, which ranks #1 in the Big 12. Watch for Franchione to use some trickery up his sleeve. That won’t surprise me one bit. But as I said earlier, if Reggie is hype, the Aggie offense will be hype. That is a definite key for an Aggie win in Austin.

Texas (9-1, 5-1)

The Longhorns have had an amazing season this year. Sure, we lost to OU again this year, but this was the best game we’ve ever played against them in the last 5 years. Couple that with outstanding wins in Fayetteville and the come from behind win against OSU, and you have to like what you see. Texas has beaten 4 ranked opponents so far this year in Arkansas, Mizzou, Texas Tech, and Okie State. While we are sitting pretty in the BCS standings, it will take us a miracle to get there. But before we can even talk about post-season, we must get past a pesky A&M team. A&M scared the crap out of OU at Kyle and also beat Tech. With that in mind, Greg Robinson will have his hands full on the defensive side of the ball, trying to contain Reggie McNeal and Courtney Lewis, which is also a threat. But the one underestimation most Aggies have is the double threat of Vince Young and Cedric Benson.

Vince Young
- Ranks 5th in the Big 12 in the Quarterback Ranking
- 120-204 (Completions/Passes), 1538 yards, 11 TD’s (8th in the Big 12)
- 6-5, 225 lbs
-Sophomore
-15-2 Record as a Starter
-10 Interceptions
-127-794 (Rushes/Yards)
-9 Touchdown Runs

(I’ve listed the accomplishments of both Reggie and Vince so I don’t expect to turn this thread into a Reggie vs. Vince debate. While that is what the media is doing, I am not. That has been discussed ad nauseam and I definitely don’t want to start the argument again.)

Another piece of ammo for Texas is Cedric Benson. Benson is a candidate for the Doak Walker Award and should be (emphasize “should be”) headed for New York for an invitation to the Heisman. He probably won’t win it, but he should definitely be invited. Containing Ced is something that A&M must do to win. Because if they don’t, it will be a long night for the Aggies—just ask Oklahoma State. I don’t think I need to say any more about Ced. You know who he is.

Cedric Benson
-Ranks 2nd in the Big 12 in Rushing
-270/1599 (Carries/Yards)
-5.9 YPC (Yards per Carry)
-18 Touchdowns

And last but definitely not least, the BEST DEFENSIVE PLAYER IN THE NATION---Derrick Johnson. Unbelievable. DJ is a finalist for the Butkus Award, Lombardi Award, Nagursky Award, Camp Award, and Bednarik Award. Rated as Sports Illustrated’s Top Defensive Player in the Nation at the beginning of the year, DJ will guide the defense hoping to stop Reggie, Courtney, and the rest of the Aggie offense. Gary Barnett (CU head coach) called him the “best player he’s ever seen.” Even most Aggies I know admit that he is very, very dangerous. He will be wearing #60 in the game in honor of the great Texas defenders in Longhorn history such as Britt Hagar, Jeff Leiding, Brian Jones, Dustry Renfro, and Tommy Nobis.

Texas
-Ranks 2nd in the Big 12 in Scoring (35.9 PPG)
-Ranks 1st in the Big 12 in Rushing (305.2 YPG)
-Ranks 11th in the Big 12 in Passing (167.2 PYPG)

This will be a great game for both sides. It’s the 111th meeting between Texas and Texas A&M and the post-season bids are still up in the air. Texas can possibly make it to a BCS bowl, although it’s not as probable as it was a few weeks ago, and Texas A&M could go to the Cotton Bowl. As it stands right now, the Bowl situations are as predicted:

Texas vs. Tennessee – Cotton Bowl
Texas A&M vs. Arizona State – Holiday Bowl

Those are the latest rumors that I’ve heard in the last week here on campus. At any rate, good luck to both teams. While this site far outnumbers Aggie fans to Longhorn fans, I ask that when whoever wins, please be good sports about it. The last thing we need is more stupid, uncalled for drama on this board. The mods don’t want that and surely those who read this board who aren’t fans of either team want it. With that said, if you’re coming to the game, please be safe. I will be at DKR tomorrow at about 10:00 am tailgating with some friends so if you think you know who I am, say hello!

Texas A&M - 20
Texas - 42

With that, have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Sorry for the misspellings and typos, should there be any. I'm hungry! :D

MagicMan
11-25-2004, 03:11 PM
if texas plays the whole game like they have been in the fourth quarters of the past two games, they are going to beat the aggies.

onfirebball05mustang
11-25-2004, 03:15 PM
great commentary KTJ! Gonna be a close one...go AGS!

SintonFan_inAustin
11-25-2004, 03:42 PM
http://www.stan-noon.com/golems/smilies/couchpotato.gif

http://www.stan-noon.com/golems/smilies/icon_headbang.gif

Bellville22
11-25-2004, 05:50 PM
Great post 'KTJ'. Two things I'll throw in, since you were kind enough :devil: to mention how A&M played against CU. I think it's important to point out that Texas struggled greatly against Kansas, and in all fairness, probably should've lost the game. Also, I can't speak for all Aggies, but this one is certainly not underestimating VY and CB. No doubt in my mind that Vince is a tremendous college football player. Do I think he's a QB at the next level? Absolutely not. But certainly a serious threat on the college football field.

OK, my take...

A&M has had great success against one-dimensional teams this year, however they face easily the best 1-D team this week. Texas may be a team capable of lining up against the Ags, telling them they're going to run, and doing so. Benson will get his yards, and I worry about Vince getting lose if A&M keys too much on Cedric. I think if the Aggies can hold VY and CB to under 250 rushing yards combined, they have a shot. If Texas wears down this D, could be a long day.

Match-up wise, A&M probably faces it's toughest challenge in the Texas D, arguably the best in the nation. Their back 7 is tremendous, which is key to stopping A&M's balanced passing attack. Reggie, without doubt, has to be on top of his game, and has to have a huge day for the Ags to win. He must play smart, and must make things happen when the pocket collapses or when UT blitzes. I look for Courtney Lewis to have a big day, he's been coming on strong, and I look for A&M to mix in the run alot with the UT D keying, and most likely spying McNeal.

I don't see the game coming down to Reggie vs. Vince. Vince can have an off day, and Benson can still carry the load. If Reggie has an off day, it's over for Texas A&M. I see the matchup being Reggie vs. Derrick. Will Johnson be in Reggie's head and backfield all day? Or will Johnson be a step behind Reggie all day? That's going to be the key.

And with the bye week and big media focus, coaching is huge. I think Fran is much more capable of planning a better game, and utilizing the extra week than Mack. And will Greg Davis come through and call a good game, if he is as conservative as usual, A&M can keep this close, and if they keep it close in the 4th, anything can happen.

I don't think it will be a blowout, and I don't think either offense will have a field day. A&M has success against 1-D teams, and Texas' defense is simply too good. I see this one close all the way thru, with the best offensive player on the field, Reggie McNeal, making plays when it counts. Great college football to be played at DKR tomorrow, 'KTJ', I respect your prediction, and don't think it's out of the question, but I think we see a much better game...

Texas A&M 26
Texas 23

ILS1
11-25-2004, 06:09 PM
Texas 36

A & M 20

gobbler grad
11-25-2004, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by MagicMan
if texas plays the whole game like they have been in the fourth quarters of the past two games, they are going to beat the aggies.

if they were to play like that they should be #1 and playing for national title...they are awesome in the 4th qtr...almost unstoppable

CDF
11-25-2004, 10:32 PM
'gig em ags

KTJ
11-25-2004, 11:21 PM
Good stuff Bellville.

Hupernikomen
11-26-2004, 12:39 AM
was interesting to see how a homer takes the UT "success" this year. 4 wins against ranked opponents...i don't think so...one of those teams are ranked now and I am pretty certain Ark. wasn't ranked when Texas played them. You are quick to point out A&M near loss to Colorado, but consider Texas when against Ok. St. as part of something amazing...it was a miracle comeback...no excuse for a top ranked team to fall that far behind...was impressive that they came back to win. You didn't mention the gift of the win against Kansas...I mean come on...no way Texas should have lost to Kansas but if not for the "phantom" call the BCS would be a non-issue for Texas.

I am a UT and A&M fan, and I honestly think that Texas will put together and win this game. The key will be Texas stopping McNeal's scrambling and passing attack.

UT 35
A&M 31

JHS_c/o_06'
11-26-2004, 12:55 AM
i say a repeat from two years ago, 50-20, It's gonna be another game like the tech game, Texas is just gonna shine.

But if it was between Jasper winning or Texas winning, id rather Jasper win, and deal with the aggies at school.

Texas 50
TAMU 20

(give or take a TD for both teams)

htowntransplant
11-26-2004, 01:27 AM
Originally posted by ILS1
Texas 36

A & M 20

sounds like a good score to me. but also dont be surprised if tamu puts up a real fight. after all, they did play well against OU and OU owned texas's offense....and we are in kyle field so thats definitely another advantage for tamu. it will either be: texas 36 tamu 20....or texas 35, tamu 28

LWFH
11-26-2004, 01:34 AM
Actually, the game is in austin this year, but I still think my Ags are gonna pull it out in a close one.

JasperDog94
11-26-2004, 01:44 AM
Originally posted by Hupernikomen
...Texas should have lost to Kansas but if not for the "phantom" call the BCS would be a non-issue for Texas. Come on now huper. You know that call could have gone either way. When a guy's arms are that extended and there's that much separation, something's goin' on. Could it have been a "no call"? Sure, but to call it a "phantom" call is a bit much.:)

ILS1
11-26-2004, 03:31 AM
Come on now,the Gaggies LOST to BAYLOR!!! BAYLOR!!! I bet SLC could beat Baylor!!!

:eek:

Hupernikomen
11-26-2004, 03:42 AM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Come on now huper. You know that call could have gone either way. When a guy's arms are that extended and there's that much separation, something's goin' on. Could it have been a "no call"? Sure, but to call it a "phantom" call is a bit much.:)

I didn't even see the game just heard reports..probably tainted ones at that...point my point stands that everyone seems to paint their team in rose-colored glasses. He faults A&M for almost losing to Colorado but acts as if outside of the OU game UT has been dominate! There should have been no need for a single call be a game winner/loser for Texas against Kansas.

rhs78
11-26-2004, 08:36 AM
the key to a texas win is containing reggie, i think it will happen, texas at dkr are tough longhorns-28 aggies-24,

Buckeye80
11-26-2004, 08:48 AM
Come on now,the Gaggies LOST to BAYLOR!!! BAYLOR!!! I bet SLC could beat Baylor!!!

BOO!!!:mad:

A&M 34
TU 20

KTJ
11-26-2004, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by Hupernikomen
was interesting to see how a homer takes the UT "success" this year. 4 wins against ranked opponents...i don't think so...one of those teams are ranked now and I am pretty certain Ark. wasn't ranked when Texas played them. You are quick to point out A&M near loss to Colorado, but consider Texas when against Ok. St. as part of something amazing...it was a miracle comeback...no excuse for a top ranked team to fall that far behind...was impressive that they came back to win. You didn't mention the gift of the win against Kansas...I mean come on...no way Texas should have lost to Kansas but if not for the "phantom" call the BCS would be a non-issue for Texas.

I am a UT and A&M fan, and I honestly think that Texas will put together and win this game. The key will be Texas stopping McNeal's scrambling and passing attack.

UT 35
A&M 31

I knew it. I'm psychic.

Originally posted by KTJ--So let’s take a look at both schools. (I am going to be as unbiased as I possibly can, although I will still receive flack from some posters out there—I already know it.)

Sure, Kansas had us on the ropes. I'll admit that. But Kansas also had OU and Tech on he ropes a well. They are about 10 points away from going 8-3 instead of the 4-7 record they have now. So escaping from Kansas, yes I'll take that.

Rabbit'93
11-26-2004, 09:46 AM
There's a game on today?:confused:

;)

IHStangFan
11-26-2004, 10:29 AM
for the most part UT's offense is 1 dimensional, sure..Young CAN pass...but hes not confident w/ the pass it appears. A&M can shut down the run. UT will have to step up their passing game to beat A&M. CAN he do it? sure...will he...we'll see.

A&M 28
UT 24

BULLDOGFAN
11-26-2004, 10:59 AM
Man I just hope A & M brings their A game in to Austin. I will be Maroon sitting in a sea of Orange and it ain't gonna be pretty either way:) Gig Em Ag's

X21AAAPlayer
11-26-2004, 12:49 PM

Yes BUT the Aggies almost knocked off OU!!! OU!!! I bet if the Aggies play with some heart and passion they could give Texas a run for their money:) Remember it's a rivalry game, records mean NOTHING.

Port_town_texas
11-26-2004, 01:07 PM
who is the Big 12 North leader??

crowlane
11-26-2004, 01:15 PM
go ags...me and my bros there all the way...saw em off

gobbler grad
11-26-2004, 01:34 PM
hope Bevo don't have that mad cow disease..lol

gig'em aggies

gobbler bro #49
11-26-2004, 02:47 PM
the longhorns are gonna win :evilgrin: :evilgrin: :evilgrin: :evilgrin: :evilgrin: :evilgrin: :evilgrin: :evilgrin:

pavie007
11-26-2004, 02:48 PM
The bottom line, as it was mentioned before, is that this is a rivalry game...All rules are thrown out the window...Sure we can bring up the Baylor game which A&M should have definitely won, but then again we could bring up the OU game which A&M should've also won. They scored 35 points in that game, and I believe UT never scored against the Sooners. So either way, we could go back and forth all day about the could haves, should haves, big wins, big losses and positives and negatives of the two teams seasons as a whole. It all comes down to, however, the way that the two teams fair today in Austin, TX. I think this game will be a true test of who shows up wanting it more and who gets the momentum on their side early...But of course, being a Senior at Texas A&M, I will go with the Ags on this one....Either way, I just hope it's a good game.....Gig 'em!

Texas A&M 35
UT 27

onfirebball05mustang
11-26-2004, 02:51 PM
only a little while till kickoff...can you feel the pressure?!?! AHH! this is going to be great!

Ah, the smell of cowhide in the morning!:D

GIG 'EM AGGIES!!!!

my guess...
A&M 31
Texas 28

We'll just see!

JasperDog94
11-26-2004, 03:12 PM

:eek: Come on now...no need for name calling.:(

Panther Ross
11-26-2004, 03:36 PM
Just don't expect to much rushing yards from either benson or young. But Vince Young will have the best passing game of his life and throw all over the secondary. I pick Texas to win by 21 or 28. Come on aggies prove me wrong.

Flourhead
11-26-2004, 03:37 PM
benson and young will do whatever they want

Panther Ross
11-26-2004, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by Flourhead
benson and young will do whatever they want

keep telling yourself that

Buckeye80
11-26-2004, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by Panther Ross
I pick Texas to win by 21 or 28.

BAH!!!:mad:

Flourhead
11-26-2004, 03:41 PM
keep telling yourself that

i only need to say it once... benson went crazy last year and he hates the aggies more now so he's going crazier

Panther Ross
11-26-2004, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by Buckeye80
BAH!!!:mad:

Don't get me wrong, I am for the aggies all the way, but let's face it, the Aggies don't have that good of a chance today. My predictions have not been that great though this season.

Diboll_Lumberjackk
11-26-2004, 04:57 PM
6-6 Tied up 7:00 left in 2nd.

CHS_CG
11-26-2004, 05:08 PM
13-6 AGGIES end of the 2nd!!! well 9 seconds left!

WHOOP

jason
11-26-2004, 05:08 PM
13-6 :09 left in the half

CHS_CG
11-26-2004, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by jason
13-6 :09 left in the half

Little late jason lol;) :p

onfirebball05mustang
11-26-2004, 05:13 PM
a beautiful ending leading to half...ahh the love of football!!!

may be a lower scoring...unless kicked up a notch in the second half..

GIG EM!:clap:

Hupernikomen
11-26-2004, 05:26 PM
Don't get me wrong, I am for the aggies all the way, but let's face it, the Aggies don't have that good of a chance today. My predictions have not been that great though this season.

and overstatement and an understandment in the same statement...that requires some prowess in itself...keep predicting though and one day you will get one right.

FormerBellvilleBrahma
11-26-2004, 05:33 PM
These ABC guys must get paid by the Lonhorns, all they are talking about are the horns, hell give the Aggies some credit!!

CHS_CG
11-26-2004, 05:42 PM
so somebody tell me why the horns got a point for losing the ball and AGGIES gettin it in the endzone?

CHS_CG
11-26-2004, 05:50 PM
nevermind got it now

CHSBaseball07
11-26-2004, 06:22 PM
HOOK EM HORNS!

CHSBaseball07
11-26-2004, 06:26 PM
Texas' Defense has stepped it up on 4th downs !

CHSBaseball07
11-26-2004, 06:34 PM
TOUCHDOWN CEDRIC!!!

ILS1
11-26-2004, 06:40 PM
I expect 1 more TD from the Horns!!

Go Horns WHOOP that arse!!!

:)

CHSBaseball07
11-26-2004, 06:44 PM
what was TEXAS picked to win by against a&m??? anyone know?

justagirl2
11-26-2004, 06:59 PM
TX was picked to win by 11.

CHS_CG
11-26-2004, 07:02 PM
Good job Texas.. gotta give it to you yall did good and wanted it more than the Aggies..

Aggies yall played good but just like Caldwell.. mistakes just wont cut it in big games!

Gilmer Buckeye
11-26-2004, 07:09 PM
Good solid win for Texas, but the final score realistically should have been 33-6 rather than 26-13. That freak play near the end of the first half caused a 14-point swing in A&M's favor.

That still might not have made any difference, though, the way the BCS is set up. Mack Brown was just on TV whining to Lynn Swann about how unfair it is.

Just beat OU, Mack. It's pretty simple. You never hear OU whining about the injustice of the BCS.

rhs78
11-26-2004, 07:13 PM
great win Horns how about the defense stepping up again,8-sacks!!! if the aggies had a running game it might have been a different story. Cedric was great as usual. Hope the horns get a bcs bowl???

FormerBellvilleBrahma
11-26-2004, 07:26 PM
Slim chance we will get a BCS Bowl, Mack you need to beat OU.

htowntransplant
11-26-2004, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by Gilmer Buckeye
Good solid win for Texas, but the final score realistically should have been 33-6 rather than 26-13. That freak play near the end of the first half caused a 14-point swing in A&M's favor.

yeah that was bologne...i heard that on longhorns radio network, and i was like ..."hmmmm thats quite stunning"

htowntransplant
11-26-2004, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by FormerBellvilleBrahma
Slim chance we will get a BCS Bowl, Mack you need to beat OU.

yeah but unfortunately, i am very pessimistic about vince young's throwing ability and the lack of versitility on offense. we clearly played well enough to beat OU earlier in the year, but OU was stocked up to defend the run, and thats all we do. Granted, vince young has incredible talent running the football, but he clearly needs more coaching as a passer. he takes too long in the pocket and me makes lots of foolish mistakes...whether its throwing a ball in high traffic, or not zipping the ball hard enough to give our WR's time to catch the ball and turn to avoid getting drilled. I don't think we will beat OU until vince young shows me that he can improve drastically in each of the things i mentioned. ...

on a brighter note, mark clayton and jason white are graduating...so it will be interesting to see what kinda team OU has next year with adrian peterson being the cornerstone of the team.

Port_town_texas
11-26-2004, 10:02 PM
Fire Mack Brown!!!

Longhorn^
11-26-2004, 11:29 PM
I hear Steve Spurrier is available....:confused:

JasperDog94
11-27-2004, 12:06 AM
You never hear OU whining about the injustice of the BCS. You must not watch the same Sportscenter that I do. Stoops was complaining about the possibility of Auburn jumping them in the polls and accusing ESPN of proping them up since they cover the SEC. The BCS isn't broken, it's shattered. What a joke.:rolleyes:

JasperDog94
11-27-2004, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by Longhorn^
I hear Steve Spurrier is available....:confused: I thought South Carolina already nabbed him.

NSUTrumpet08
11-27-2004, 01:33 AM
YAY!!! Go UT!!!

Hupernikomen
11-27-2004, 10:22 AM

That still might not have made any difference, though, the way the BCS is set up. Mack Brown was just on TV whining to Lynn Swann about how unfair it is.

Just beat OU, Mack. It's pretty simple. You never hear OU whining about the injustice of the BCS.

OU better hope they don't have a close game in the big 12 championship. I guarntee you they will be whining if Auburn jumps them in the BCS...the system stinks period. No reason why teams like Utah, Boise State shouldn't at least have a chance playing for the championship. Heck even Texas still deserves a shot. Look at Bandera two years ago...3rd place in district and state champs. Let us have a playoff!

PhiI C
11-27-2004, 01:40 PM

You don't usually whine when you have a big ham strapped to your back!:D