PDA

View Full Version : Does Iowa Park Have Anyone Other Than Swenson?

D-GOOD
11-24-2004, 03:27 PM
I am not familiar with Iowa Park but all i have heard is about the Swenson kid. I have watched every Snyder game the past 2 years and am familiar with the players. There is a lot more to the Tigers than #28 Dee Walker. He is the second best running back that I have seen in person at a high school level. I like knowing a little bit about the team we play each week and the local paper doesnt say anything about Iowa Park because they have reporters following them. But from what i have read on the posts the people say it should be a good game.

D-GOOD
11-24-2004, 03:28 PM
I messed up the local paper does NOT have reporters following them.

Bullaholic
11-24-2004, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by D-GOOD
I am not familiar with Iowa Park but all i have heard is about the Swenson kid. I have watched every Snyder game the past 2 years and am familiar with the players. There is a lot more to the Tigers than #28 Dee Walker. He is the second best running back that I have seen in person at a high school level. I like knowing a little bit about the team we play each week and the local paper doesnt say anything about Iowa Park because they have reporters following them. But from what i have read on the posts the people say it should be a good game.

D-GOOD, try this thread--http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23354&highlight=iowa

IowaPark74
11-24-2004, 03:52 PM
Ok, this is the way I see it, although this is not scientific nor are the yardage totals based on real information.

Unlike a lot of other teams, Snyder included, Iowa Park doesn't have a 1000 plus yard runningback, instead they have 5 or 6 kids that will run the ball for those same 1000 plus yards.

In my book that makes them harder to defend, especially when they're spread out all over the place, going everywhich direction.

It's easy to understand why you hear about Swenson all the time, he's the QB, throws when needed and is one of those that will run the ball too.

Like yourself, I know little about the other team.
That being said, you don't get to the 3rd round without having done something right, both teams.

Should be fun. :)

VWG
11-24-2004, 03:56 PM
Sure... Iowa Park has a good stable of running backs. They've got at least 4 kids that all touch the ball from the backfield at one time or another during the course of the game.
Iowa Park is "multi-talented"...... but make no mistake about it. You shut down Swenson and the Hawks could have a difficult nigth. Anybody that says otherwise is lying.

IowaPark74
11-24-2004, 04:01 PM
So your implying the same isn't true with Snyder's #28?
Hummmmmm....

yoemenkracker30
11-24-2004, 04:48 PM
what type of offense does Iowa Park run?.....Wing-T? Multiple? Shotgun? I?

Macarthur
11-24-2004, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by yoemenkracker30
what type of offense does Iowa Park run?.....Wing-T? Multiple? Shotgun? I?

Yes to all of those!

Macarthur
11-24-2004, 05:33 PM

Here's my assestment of the Hawks:

Offensively - Their primary offensive set is the wing-t. However, they will spread things out with 4 WR's and throw it around. They also run a bit of single wing. They also like to run lots of double TE's and double WB's. In short, they will throw just about every formation at you. Swenson is the heart and soul of the team. It's true that if you shut him down then the Hawks will have problems. However, isn't that true of every team? If you can shut down Reggie McNeal, you have a good chance of beating the Aggies. Eveyone they have played this year tries to stop Swenson. The problem comes in that they run so many formations. They have several very capable, quick RB's, HB's, WB's. So are you going to stop Swenson from running? Then they get into the spread and throw. If you bring in an extra DB to stop the spread, they then goto double TE's and run lots of misdirection in the wing-t & single wing. They are a very difficult offense to gameplan.

Defensively - They are smallish but very fast to the ball. The one weakness they have, IMO, is that they are susceptible to a power running game. The one team that beat them this year, Vernon, did just that and controlled the clock. Their clear strength is their secondary. I believe they have the best secondary in 3A. Obviously, I haven't seen every secondary in 3A, but I did see IP scrimmage Decatur. And let's just say IP held their own very well....

One of the major reasons IP has had success this year is that their offense has gotten leads. In turn, teams have had to take more chances and/or throw the ball, and that plays right into IP's strength on defense, which is their athleticism and ball-hawking at LB & secondary. If and when someone beats IP, it will be because they have gotten a lead and/or controlled the TOP, and forced IP to take some chances. Swenson hasn't been perfect. He will make some mistakes, but you better capitalize on them because the next time the offense gets the ball, they are coming back at you full throttle.

HighSchool Fan
11-24-2004, 06:14 PM
all i can say about IP is watch out for #70 he is a monster.

D-GOOD
11-24-2004, 08:13 PM
I am glad to see i got some feedback from the Iowa Park faithful. Thank you for the reports. In my own opion the key to the snyder team is #13 Matt Reigh, the QB. He has had an up and down second half of the season, but if he is reading the option well when we run it and throws like he is capable of then snyder should win. #28 Walker will benefeit from how ever #13 is playing. Walker is consistently good for at least 100 yds a game and will probaly get right aroun that. If a D holds him to that then they brought there A game. But #13 has some wheels on him as well.I think he ran for close to 500 yds and passed for about 700yds. I could be off a little but not much. That is not to bad for a team that has a 2008yd running back. They also have an above average fullback #41 Chad Brown that has around 300yds rushing for the season, and blows out linebackers for #28. These are two of the toughest running backs Iowa Park will see. Better bring more than one person to tackle them. The top receiver #86 Lico Castillo has let some passes fall that should have been caught but he always seems to come up with big plays when he needs to. He will also test the offensive passing game of Iowa park with his defensive skills. On defense #50 Ricky Mcnatt will not be moved from his defensive line position, hes to strong. #8 will be in the backfield with his speed and strength as well as #33 Chris Smith. I think turnovers will tell this game, if Snyder wins that battle then they will win the game.

GreenMonster
11-24-2004, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by Macarthur
Here's my assestment of the Hawks:

Offensively - Their primary offensive set is the wing-t. However, they will spread things out with 4 WR's and throw it around. They also run a bit of single wing. They also like to run lots of double TE's and double WB's. In short, they will throw just about every formation at you. Swenson is the heart and soul of the team. It's true that if you shut him down then the Hawks will have problems. However, isn't that true of every team? If you can shut down Reggie McNeal, you have a good chance of beating the Aggies. Eveyone they have played this year tries to stop Swenson. The problem comes in that they run so many formations. They have several very capable, quick RB's, HB's, WB's. So are you going to stop Swenson from running? Then they get into the spread and throw. If you bring in an extra DB to stop the spread, they then goto double TE's and run lots of misdirection in the wing-t & single wing. They are a very difficult offense to gameplan.

Defensively - They are smallish but very fast to the ball. The one weakness they have, IMO, is that they are susceptible to a power running game. The one team that beat them this year, Vernon, did just that and controlled the clock. Their clear strength is their secondary. I believe they have the best secondary in 3A. Obviously, I haven't seen every secondary in 3A, but I did see IP scrimmage Decatur. And let's just say IP held their own very well....

One of the major reasons IP has had success this year is that their offense has gotten leads. In turn, teams have had to take more chances and/or throw the ball, and that plays right into IP's strength on defense, which is their athleticism and ball-hawking at LB & secondary. If and when someone beats IP, it will be because they have gotten a lead and/or controlled the TOP, and forced IP to take some chances. Swenson hasn't been perfect. He will make some mistakes, but you better capitalize on them because the next time the offense gets the ball, they are coming back at you full throttle.

I agree with Macarthur. This is a a very good representation of Iowa Park's team. High School fan was actually referring to #79. 6'6" 275lbs. This young man is a force to be reconned with.

VWG
11-24-2004, 08:54 PM
Curious as to how many Sr's start on IP's team.
I know Swenson and Fulfer are seniors... others?

GreenMonster
11-24-2004, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by VWG
Curious as to how many Sr's start on IP's team.
I know Swenson and Fulfer are seniors... others?

Fulfer is a Junior. Starters are pretty evenly mixed with Jr's & Sr's.

Ktulu345
11-24-2004, 10:52 PM
6 seniors, 8 juniors, 1 sophomore

(I know that doesn't add up to 11, but depending on formations, those are the starters)

Macarthur
11-25-2004, 11:07 AM
I am glad to see i got some feedback from the Iowa Park faithful. Thank you for the reports. In my own opion the key to the snyder team is #13 Matt Reigh, the QB. He has had an up and down second half of the season, but if he is reading the option well when we run it and throws like he is capable of then snyder should win. #28 Walker will benefeit from how ever #13 is playing. Walker is consistently good for at least 100 yds a game and will probaly get right aroun that. If a D holds him to that then they brought there A game. But #13 has some wheels on him as well.I think he ran for close to 500 yds and passed for about 700yds. I could be off a little but not much. That is not to bad for a team that has a 2008yd running back. They also have an above average fullback #41 Chad Brown that has around 300yds rushing for the season, and blows out linebackers for #28. These are two of the toughest running backs Iowa Park will see. Better bring more than one person to tackle them. The top receiver #86 Lico Castillo has let some passes fall that should have been caught but he always seems to come up with big plays when he needs to. He will also test the offensive passing game of Iowa park with his defensive skills. On defense #50 Ricky Mcnatt will not be moved from his defensive line position, hes to strong. #8 will be in the backfield with his speed and strength as well as #33 Chris Smith. I think turnovers will tell this game, if Snyder wins that battle then they will win the game.

Not trying to flame, but I think IP has an OT that can "move" #50. #79 is 6'6" 270lbs and IP hasn't played anyone this year that has been able to physically match up with him.

HighSchool Fan
11-25-2004, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
High School fan was actually referring to #79. 6'6" 275lbs. This young man is a force to be reconned with.

No, I was talking about #70. He is the real deal.

Black_Magic
11-25-2004, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by Macarthur
Not trying to flame, but I think IP has an OT that can "move" #50. #79 is 6'6" 270lbs and IP hasn't played anyone this year that has been able to physically match up with him.
#50 is 6'2" 270 and runs a 5.1 in the 40. Second team all state in 2003, and 4th in the discus at state last year. I would love to see 79 go up against McNatt.:D Mc Natt is mostly nose guard but does play end on occasion. Also Snyder has a couple of big boys up on the O line too. One is 6'3" 375 and he can move most people when he wants to.

GreenMonster
11-25-2004, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by HighSchool Fan
No, I was talking about #70. He is the real deal.

I was trying to keep that one a suprise HS Fan.
:D #70 is gonna "reap" havoc in the Tiger backfield.

HighSchool Fan
11-25-2004, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
I was trying to keep that one a suprise HS Fan.
:D #70 is gonna "reap" havoc in the Tiger backfield.

Sorry, my bad.

It doesn't matter, you can't stop him, you can only hope to contain him.

D-GOOD
11-25-2004, 06:53 PM
You guys might be getting overconfident on that #70 kid. Snyders o line is a lot better than yall are giving them credit. Besides if #70 is in the backfield while
#41 and #28 is in the Iowa Park secondary then what good is #70 doing.

HighSchool Fan
11-25-2004, 06:55 PM
i don't recall saying that synder has a bad offensive line.

CDF
11-25-2004, 10:37 PM
contain we can and contain we will! Hawks should upend Snyder in round 3, if not, go Snyder beat Sweetwater!

Macarthur
11-26-2004, 10:14 AM
You guys might be getting overconfident on that #70 kid. Snyders o line is a lot better than yall are giving them credit. Besides if #70 is in the backfield while
#41 and #28 is in the Iowa Park secondary then what good is #70 doing.

I don't think anyone is overconfident. Every team at this point is a very good football team.

Gobbla2001
11-26-2004, 10:17 AM
Though the QB was the best player I saw when I watched IP earlier this year, the rest of their team is well coached and give it 110%... they're tough, nothing flashy or anything, just well coached...