PDA

View Full Version : Ricky to be re-instated to the Dolphins

Holmes_Fans
11-24-2004, 12:23 AM
Associated Press

NEW YORK – Ricky Williams will serve a four-game suspension beginning next month and then be reinstated with the Miami Dolphins by the NFL, according to his lawyer.

But the league says an agreement has not been finalized.

"I am pleased with the National Football League's proposal," attorney David Cornwell said Tuesday. "I think Ricky will be pleased, too."

Williams must approve the deal, which would move him from the retired list to the suspended list for the final four games of the schedule. The running back is required to serve a four-game suspension for violating the league's substance abuse policy.

After that, his contract with the Dolphins would be in force.

"Anything regarding Ricky's status is a league matter," Dolphins spokesman Harvey Greene said.

"No agreement has been reached at this time," NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said, adding the league and Williams' representatives have been in discussions "for some time."

Williams, 27, retired during the summer, giving up the $5 million he would have earned this season, which would have been his sixth in the NFL, amid reports he faced the suspension for substance abuse. Williams is now about a month into a 17-month course at the California College of Ayurveda in Grass Valley, Calif., studying holistic medicine.

The Dolphins' season pretty much was ruined by Williams' sudden retirement. The star runner was the focal point of Miami's offense and the Dolphins, also ravaged by injuries, are 1-9 without him. They will have their first losing season since 1988 and Dave Wannstedt resigned as coach earlier this month.

The team filed a lawsuit last month in federal court against Williams after an arbitrator ruled he owes the team more than $8.6 million for breaching his contract.

Williams rushed for 3,225 yards in two seasons with the Dolphins, including a league-leading 1,853 yards in 2002. They acquired the 1998 Heisman Trophy winner in a trade with New Orleans after the 2001 season.

Throughout his career, Williams has been plagued by strange behavior, including conducting interviews with his helmet on when he was with the Saints. He suffers from social-anxiety disorder and was a spokesman for an anti-depressant. He said marijuana helped him once he had to stop using the anti-depressant because it didn't agree with his diet.

Williams found laughable reports he retired because he wanted to continue smoking marijuana.

Jody
11-24-2004, 07:15 AM
I can't imagine him being welcomed by his former fellow players. This guy is one heck of an idiot.

Phil C
11-24-2004, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by Jody
I can't imagine him being welcomed by his former fellow players. This guy is one heck of an idiot.

Now now Jody. Forgive and forget! :)

rhs78
11-24-2004, 10:31 AM
any team that sign's this guy is looking for a big disappiontment,i use to be a ricky fan back in college. never again!!!!

bullfrog_alumni_02
11-24-2004, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by rhs78
any team that sign's this guy is looking for a big disappiontment,i use to be a ricky fan back in college. never again!!!! your right, he has talent, and since joining the nfl hes also been watering and growning his ego. i think they will trade him away and get someone alot better, and more of a team player.

spiveyrat
11-24-2004, 10:41 AM
One thing's for sure. This will be an interesting story to follow.

Phil C
11-24-2004, 11:34 AM
You have to remember that Ricky is highly intellectual and has a higher IQ than most of us.

Bullaholic
11-24-2004, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
You have to remember that Ricky is highly intellectual and has a higher IQ than most of us.

Phil C.---I certainly agree that Ricky is "higher" than most of us, most of the time.

rhs78
11-24-2004, 11:45 AM
I saw a picture this morning on tv of ricky, long hair was gone,has a full beard,and studying Homipathic(sp) medicine at a small college somewhere. this guy is hard to figure out!!!!!

BlueBlood
11-24-2004, 12:06 PM
I think most of his brain cells are fried.

District303aPastPlayer
11-24-2004, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by BlueBlood
I think most of his brain cells are fried.

Ricky "Ozzbourne" Williams?

Jody
11-24-2004, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
Ricky "Ozzbourne" Williams?

I bet he secretly graduated from WOS.........:D Just Kidding!

JasperDog94
11-24-2004, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by bullfrog_alumni_02
i think they will trade him away and get someone alot better, and more of a team player. Now that would be the smart thing to do. He's still got a lot of miles left on him. Even if you're a dolphins fan, you've got to love the fact that he's coming back and that you'll get something out of this whole mess.

Phil C
11-24-2004, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Now that would be the smart thing to do. He's still got a lot of miles left on him. Even if you're a dolphins fan, you've got to love the fact that he's coming back and that you'll get something out of this whole mess.

Like a 2006 super bowl win for the Dolphins right Jasper?

Phil C
11-24-2004, 02:59 PM
You have to remember that Ricky is a very wise and intelligent young man. He is the type that in the future will be serving on US President's cabinet.

99IHSMustang
11-24-2004, 03:13 PM
You have to remember that Ricky is a very wise and intelligent young man. He is the type that in the future will be serving on US President's cabinet.

Have you been smoking some of Ricky's stash Phil?...... :thinking:

Bullaholic
11-24-2004, 03:22 PM

I agree, Phil. I think he would make a great Drug Czar or head of the DEA, and I bet they won't have a bit of trouble granting him those occasional year-long sabbaticals to meditate with the Dali Lama or field trips to inspect Colombian agriculture.

Phil C
11-24-2004, 04:02 PM
For real Bull he has been known to have had conversations on current world events on a level of highly intellectual stimulating nature.

Bullaholic
11-24-2004, 04:17 PM
For real Bull he has been known to have had conversations on current world events on a level of highly intellectual stimulating nature.

Phil C.----copying you is just like drinking good Scotch a few years after you've had your first taste.

htowntransplant
11-24-2004, 04:26 PM
ricky should not be forgiven by the dolphins. someone will give him a second chance, but it wont be miami. after all, how can u forgive someone who had great years and memorable ones with u and then out of the blue, turn is back on you and decide to quit. he left his teammates out to dry, and because of that, dave w, one of the good guys in the nfl, does not have his job (ricky quitting is proly a good part of the reason). without him, miami's offense was pathetic, but they wont miss him. not to mention, he already said that if he returned, he wanted to play for oakland....and if he returns, he wont be as effective bc of the idol time he has had. hes proly out of shape.

htowntransplant
11-24-2004, 04:29 PM
oakland is perfect for him. after all, thats where all the other potheads and dopers are. im sure the oakland players will love him bc they can hit him up for his stash.

SuusJudex
11-24-2004, 04:33 PM
you said it fellas. RIcky is the only professional athlete to ever do any kind of drugs. And of course, ANYONE who has ever smoked pot is ipso facto a complete imbecile .... CRUCIFY HIM! CRUCIFY HIM!

BlueBlood
11-24-2004, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by SuusJudex
you said it fellas. RIcky is the only professional athlete to ever do any kind of drugs. And of course, ANYONE who has ever smoked pot is ipso facto a complete imbecile .... CRUCIFY HIM! CRUCIFY HIM!

Ricky lover
or dope lover

CHSBaseball07
11-25-2004, 12:41 AM
he is an idiot....but a heck of a running back

CHSBaseball07
11-25-2004, 12:42 AM
or atleast at Texas he was

setex
11-25-2004, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by SuusJudex

Spoken like an elite Northeastern liberal wacko

CDF
11-25-2004, 11:03 PM
I think he is in for a rude awakening when he is able to return to Miami. He probably won't see any action 'til he gets traded, and then he'll gripe because he didn't get what he thinks he is worth.

htowntransplant
11-26-2004, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by CDF
I think he is in for a rude awakening when he is able to return to Miami. He probably won't see any action 'til he gets traded, and then he'll gripe because he didn't get what he thinks he is worth.

i agree

whereugo
11-26-2004, 09:01 PM
... and I'm thinking in the grand scheme of things, including Ricky's life ... it really doesn't matter these judgements and opinions really don't even matter - LOL