PDA

View Full Version : Hallettsville and Port Isabel

HBsr
11-23-2004, 08:33 PM
Has anyone heard of the score pick for this game?

LH Panther Mom
11-23-2004, 09:45 PM
I looked around - there are lots of predictions on the score.

gobbler grad
11-23-2004, 10:28 PM
This will be another great game...would like to see Hallettsville win this one:clap: , but PI is too much to handle

gobblerfan02
11-23-2004, 10:29 PM
Well here's my pred!:

Halletsville 24
PI 21

CheerMom
11-23-2004, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by HBsr
Has anyone heard of the score pick for this game?

Harris has Hallettsville to lose by 1
Jerry from Texas Football Ratings has Hallettsville to lose by 11

44INAROW
11-23-2004, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by CheerMom
Harris has Hallettsville to lose by 1
Jerry from Texas Football Ratings has Hallettsville to lose by 11

Mixed feelings on this one.. Really want to see Coach Stumbaugh's team win but also want District 26AAA win too :doh:

footballgal
11-23-2004, 11:31 PM
Go Tarpons Go!

I broke the tie:D :clap:

PI-fan
11-24-2004, 12:15 AM
:devil: k, one more for PI :D

gal, you're going to the game right?

footballgal
11-24-2004, 12:20 AM
For sure, for sure! Don't forget to look for me before the game for the "State Bound" 3Adownlow pix. say cheese! :D

underware
11-24-2004, 10:19 AM
I voted for PI, but I will be hoping Hallettsville can pull it out.

rhs78
11-24-2004, 10:28 AM
P I will win this one, it will be close till late third and fourth qtrs. Tarpons have to much overall for brahmas to overcome. should be a great game wished i could go!!! good luck to both teams and have injury free game, fans drive safely

CheerMom
11-24-2004, 10:35 AM
I think we might go to watch this game. It should be a good one!!

footballgal
11-24-2004, 12:33 PM
Hope to see ya there CheerMom!

Ray_BearKat
11-24-2004, 12:50 PM
I just voted for my second favorite team in 32-3A...:D

Whats up footballgal...my party is on Friday night if you've changed your mind. And I'll be in SA Saturday, might be able to make the game...but regardless i'd like to sign the shirt.

footballgal
11-24-2004, 03:38 PM
Pancake house

Tarpons’ O-line good at dishing out punishment

http://www.valleystar.com/images/uploads/PIoffensiveline112404.jpg
Joe Hermosa / Valley Morning Star

The Port Isabel offensive line, from left, Esteban Delgadillo, Rollie Reyes, Kenny Perez, Billy Zimmerman, Aaron Garcia, Isaiah Garza, Abel Woods and Frankie Espinosa. The Tarpons’ O-Line is a big reason behind the team’s success this season and will have to play a pivotal roll come Saturday when the Tarps take on Hallettsville.

By BUDDY GREEN
buddy@valleystar.com
956-430-6284

PORT ISABEL — Quarterback Lando Ochoa probably paid the Port Isabel offensive line the ultimate compliment.

"The holes were huge," said Ochoa, after the Tarpons beat Ingleside 35-25 in area last Friday. "I looked around and I saw pancakes everywhere."

Pancakes.

The linemen’s equivalent to a home run, or slam dunk.

"It’s like a sack," said tight end. Esteban Delgadillo.

Call it what you will, but the plain fact is that the PI O-line is a big reason the Tarpons have won 11 straight and now prepare for Hallettsville this Saturday in a Class 3A regional matchup.

"As the weeks go by, we get better," said tackle Isaiah Garza. "Our best game is yet to come."

The Tarpons returned three starters from last year’s line, Delgadillo, guard Kenny Perez and center Billy Zimmerman.

Garza and Rollie Reyes joined the starters at tackle and Aaron Garcia is the other guard.

Able Woods and Frankie Espinosa rotate with Delgadillo at tight end.

"We kind of sputtered early on," said Perez. "After a while we came together pretty good."

Said Zimmerman, "We’re playing with a high level of intensity. We feel we can play with anybody."

PI doesn’t boast a huge line, but it makes up for that in other ways.

"We have heart," said Delgaldillo.

Facing a bigger team doesn’t intimidate the Tarps at all.

"As a team, we like to face bigger teams," said Woods. "We like to prove ourselves.

Woods is a solid 5-foot-10 ½, 220 pounds. On defense the senior is a standout end.

Delgaldillo is 5-11, 220.

The tackles are big. Reyes goes 250 and Garza is 218. The interior line drops off, especially with Zimmerman at 5-7, 165. Perez is 200 and Garcia 180.

The linemen understand how it works — all guts, very little glory. The glory goes to guys like Ochoa and running back Johnny Nieto.

That doesn’t bother this bunch one bit.

"One of our backs getting into the end zone is good enough for us," said Zimmerman.

A good game for Garcia means something else: "When the guy you’re blocking doesn’t make a tackle," he said.

And for Delgadillo, "When our point total is high."

PI’s offensive production speaks volumns for the line play. The Tarpons have rushed for 4,066 yards in 12 games, averaging 8.0 yards a carry and 338 yards per game.

Ochoa leads the pack with 1,308 and 21 touchdown. The senior averages 10.1 a carry.

The line appreciates having a quarterback like Ochoa behind them.

"He’s a good leader," said Zimmerman.

"He never gets rattled back there," said Delgadillo. "He’s always composed."

Woods added, "He’s not afraid to take a hit."

Ochoa often finds a crease in the line and breaks off big chunks of yardage. Early in the season the first-year quarterback was learning the position. Like the line, he’s improved every week.

Against Ingleside, Ochoa had his best game with 239 yards and three touchdowns. Nieto, who missed about four games with a leg injury, has 944 yards and 13 TDs.

"He’s a tough runner," said Reyes. "He likes to run over people."

Nieto is now full strength for the playoff run.

"When Johnny came back in, we started rolling," said Zimmerman.

The Tarpons next roadblock seems formidable.

"This is our biggest challenge," said Garza.

"If we come out and play like we know we can, we’ll be OK," said Woods. "They’re bigger than us, but so is everybody else. We have more heart."

http://www.valleystar.com/sports_more.php?id=55744_0_12_0_C

honeymd
11-24-2004, 05:15 PM
GO TARPONS!:D

AP Panther Fan
11-24-2004, 06:50 PM
One more vote for the Tarpons!

Good Luck!;)

footballgal
11-24-2004, 09:19 PM
http://img125.exs.cx/img125/5418/TARPS111904.jpg
PI’s Herrera makes most of senior year

By ROY HESS
The Brownsville Herald

PORT ISABEL, Nov. 24, 2004 — As a four-year starter at middle linebacker for the Port Isabel Tarpons, Frankie Herrera has been there and done that.

He has experienced his share of success as a member of District 32-3A championship Tarpon teams in each of his four varsity seasons.

When asked to point out the highlights of his high school career, Herrera has a quick response.

"Just being in the playoffs all my four years — those are the best memories," said the 6-foot, 190-pound two-way standout. "Also, starting as a freshman. Not that many people get to do that. I worked hard for it and it’s been a really good experience."

Herrera and his teammates hope that PI’s season continues into December as the Tarpons (11-1) face Hallettsville (11-1) of District 26-3A in the Class 3A regional playoffs at 2 p.m. Saturday at Alamo Stadium in San Antonio.

"This is my senior year, so I want to go as far as we can," Herrera said. "If we can go all the way, hey, let’s go. All I want us to do is play hard and go as far as we can."

Herrera anchors a defense that finished as the top unit in average yards allowed in 32-3A for the regular season. Figuring in the statistics of their two playoff games, the Tarpons are now allowing 199 total yards a game, which breaks down to an average of 126 yards rushing and 75 yards passing. PI is surrendering 12.2 points a game.

Even though Herrera sat out an entire game late in the regular season to mend a sore shoulder and missed about half of one or two other games, he still leads the Tarpon charts with 110 tackles on the season. He also has recorded five sacks, a fumble recovery and a caused fumble.

More than once, PI head coach Monty Stumbaugh has said that having Herrera in the lineup is like having a coach on the field.

"Frankie loves the game and plays it the way it’s supposed to be played," Stumbaugh said. "He plays hard and he has fun. He’s like a coach on the field because he understands the game, he understands what we’re trying to do and he knows what checks to make and so on. He’s football smart.

"He’s our leader on defense and keeps us lined up (correctly)," Stumbaugh added. "When he first came to us as a freshman, we moved him up (to the varsity as a starter). He’s gotten better in every way. I think what makes him so good is as a linebacker is he can run sideline to sideline. He’s got good speed, good size and he can run. He’s always around the football and that’s what makes him so valuable."

PI quarterback Lando Ochoa and Herrera grew up together playing sports. Both are seniors. Ochoa said Herrera has assumed a leadership role, especially on defense.

"We’ve been playing together ever since peewee football, so he’s been my friend forever and I’m pretty familiar with how he plays," Ochoa said. "He’s a good leader. He works hard and never lets down in practice. He always tries to get better and make everyone else better.

"Frankie leads by example," the PI quarterback added. "He doesn’t like to talk that much, but he will talk if he has to. He’s been a great leader for us because he brings the defense together."

Herrera may be a confident leader for the defense now, but he said it didn’t start out that way when he stepped into the starting lineup as a freshman.

"I have to admit that I was a little nervous as a freshman when the playoffs came around and I was one of the young guys (in the lineup)," Herrera said. "I’m not that way now. I just want to step up to the challenge and make sure that the team is up. One of the things that happens if you fall behind in a playoff game is the guys might start feeling down and you’ve got to find a way to keep everybody up."

Herrera earned All-Valley and all-district MVP honors on defense a year ago when he played almost exclusively on defense. The Tarpons went 10-4 and reached the state semifinals in 2003.

This season, Herrera has been asked to contribute on offense also as the starting fullback. Stumbaugh said he told Herrera last summer to be ready and in condition because he might not be coming off the field too often.

Herrera is one of several fullbacks who has helped the Tarpons’ rushing attack become productive. Herrera, whose main responsibility on offense is blocking, has rushed for 410 yards and six touchdowns. He’s averaging 6.5 yards per carry.

Regardless of his rushing stats, putting a hit on a defender and opening a running lane for a teammate is what gives him the most satisfaction, Herrera said.

"I just like playing football and hitting — that’s about it," he said. "The hitting (while playing offense) helps out guys like Johnny (Nieto) and Lando. I try to give those guys a little bigger hole (to run through). I like it when you come up and get a good, little pop on somebody. It’s good to see Lando or Johnny running down the field after getting a good block."

Herrera is one of several current PI players whose fathers were part of the Tarpons’ winning tradition when it was just getting started more than 25 years ago.

Herrera’s father, Pancho Herrera, was a standout running back for PI in the 1980s.

"You always want to be better than your dad, of course, but it’s kind of hard when he was a running back and I (mostly) play defense," Herrera said. "There is kind of a big expectation to do well because your dad was good.

"My dad is an important influence on me along with Coach (Wade) Birchum (PI’s defensive coordinator)," Herrera added. "My dad’s been coaching me since I was five and playing baseball. He’s gotten me where I am now. When I go home, I sometimes still get a coaching lesson or whatever. But all in all, my dad is always telling me that he’s proud of me, and he’s always saying, ‘You’re better than I was.’ "

For Frankie Herrera, it’s been a matter of like father, like son in carrying on the Tarpons’ winning tradition.

http://img125.exs.cx/img125/7787/PI1Frankie11Lando.jpghttp://img125.exs.cx/img125/9765/PI_celebrates.jpghttp://img125.exs.cx/img125/8541/PI-LF82805.jpg

gobblerfan02
11-25-2004, 12:29 AM
I guess I'll be the one on this thread that will root for the underdog brahmas, watch out PI, this game won't be easy, as none are when approaching december. Someone has to root for the brahmas here, go 26-3A, B.T.H.O. the Tarpons this week!:clap: :clap: :clap:

footballgal
11-25-2004, 12:33 AM
What's weird is PI not being considered the underdog, thus far!:eek:

So you seem to be in the know about this Halletville Team gobblerfan02, why don't you tell me a little bit about them, since I am clueless about them.

BTW, B.T.H.O???:confused:

gobblerfan02
11-25-2004, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by footballgal
What's weird is not PI not being considered the underdog, thus far!:eek:

So you seem to be in the know about this Halletville Team gobblerfan02, why don't you tell me a little bit about them, since I am clueless about them.

BTW, B.T.H.O???:confused:

Well fbgal, the first thing I would warn PI about is the Halletsville D, they have great team defense and really work well as a unit! I actually saw them play cuero and they kept up with us for the whole first half of the ballgame, but tired as the game progressed. This is my concern for them, conditioning, but now its the playoffs and its been 7 weeks since i've seen the team, they are probly better conditioned as of now. Their offense is not too shabby either. They have the ability to drive the field and put points on the board. This may not mean much, but there only loss of the season was to cuero 35-14!

footballgal
11-25-2004, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by gobblerfan02
Well fbgal, the first thing I would warn PI about is the Halletsville D, they have great team defense and really work well as a unit! I actually saw them play cuero and they kept up with us for the whole first half of the ballgame, but tired as the game progressed. This is my concern for them, conditioning, but now its the playoffs and its been 7 weeks since i've seen the team, they are probly better conditioned as of now. Their offense is not too shabby either. They have the ability to drive the field and put points on the board. This may not mean much, but there only loss of the season was to cuero 35-14!

Your right it doesn't mean much; j/k :D

No seriously, what kind of offense do they run? Do they primarily run or are they a passing team? Only thing I heard about them is that they had the top runner in your district. PI has several players going both ways, like the QB Orlando Ochoa, Frankie Herrera, Abel Woods and Johnny Nieto who will start going both ways again now that he is recovered from a leg injury and newcomer Ralph Valdez. But they are use to it, they are pretty conditioned as they actually appear to play better as the game progresses.

BigChief
11-25-2004, 01:29 AM
As bad as I would like to see 26 AAA prevail, I think PI will beat the Bulls in a close one. I give the Tarpons the edge because of playoff experience. Last year, I went to the Liberty Hill-PI game and I was really impressed with the atmosphere the PI fans brought. Hallettsville probably hasn't seen anyting like that with Stafford or Brady. Get ready for the confetti, Hville.

Port Isabel 21, Hallettsville 18

Good luck to both teams!!!

Ibleedblue
11-25-2004, 10:21 AM
GO BIG BLUE!!!!!!!!- BRING ME A BRAHMA FRANKIE

Ibleedblue
11-25-2004, 10:21 AM

gobblerfan02
11-25-2004, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by footballgal
Your right it doesn't mean much; j/k :D

No seriously, what kind of offense do they run? Do they primarily run or are they a passing team? Only thing I heard about them is that they had the top runner in your district. PI has several players going both ways, like the QB Orlando Ochoa, Frankie Herrera, Abel Woods and Johnny Nieto who will start going both ways again now that he is recovered from a leg injury and newcomer Ralph Valdez. But they are use to it, they are pretty conditioned as they actually appear to play better as the game progresses.

Ya, their RB led the district all right, if you can contain him, you should be fine, but the QB does have a good passing ability, and can throw deep if necessary. Cuero gave up some big passing plays their game against them, so watch out, their pretty balanced on offense as well.!

footballgal
11-25-2004, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by gobblerfan02
Ya, their RB led the district all right, if you can contain him, you should be fine, but the QB does have a good passing ability, and can throw deep if necessary. Cuero gave up some big passing plays their game against them, so watch out, their pretty balanced on offense as well.!

That right there would be my concern, giving up some big passing plays. We're just going to have to put up plenty of points up, to stay ahead. But I have a feeling the D will rise to the challenge.

footballgal
11-25-2004, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by BigChief
As bad as I would like to see 26 AAA prevail, I think PI will beat the Bulls in a close one. I give the Tarpons the edge because of playoff experience. Last year, I went to the Liberty Hill-PI game and I was really impressed with the atmosphere the PI fans brought. Hallettsville probably hasn't seen anyting like that with Stafford or Brady. Get ready for the confetti, Hville.

Port Isabel 21, Hallettsville 18

Good luck to both teams!!!

Thanks BigChief!:)

MagicMan
11-25-2004, 03:17 PM
i hope 26 AAA prevails

footballgal
11-25-2004, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by Ibleedblue
http://www.valleystar.com/images/uploads/FRANKIE112504.jpg

Port Isabel linebacker Frankie Herrera waits on the sidelines during a game last season. Herrera is a force to reckon with and will help lead the Tarpons into battle Saturday against Hallettsville in the regional round of the state playoffs.

http://www.valleystar.com/sports_more.php?id=55759_0_12_0_M

IHStangFan
11-26-2004, 07:30 AM
GO P.I. MAY THE COWBELL BE WITH YOU!!

AP Panther Fan
11-26-2004, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
GO P.I. MAY THE COWBELL BE WITH YOU!!

Good start IHS! Don't forget the never ending S and the panther paw!:D

IHStangFan
11-26-2004, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
Good start IHS! Don't forget the never ending S and the panther paw!:D i have an animated gif. w/ pTi, Mustangs, never ending S, and AP...but i made it w/ an unregistered trial version of the software...so it SAYS "unregistered" at the top of the gif. i need to remedy that problem and get it up asap....i'll try anyway.

RX counselor
11-26-2004, 10:06 PM
Wishing all the Tarpon faithful a safe journey to and from the game Saturday. PANCAKE TIME!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

LHSEagleFan
11-26-2004, 11:18 PM
Does anyone know if there is a webcast of the PI - Halletsville game Saturday. Thanks

CrunkTarpon21
11-27-2004, 10:54 AM
Good Luck Tarpons!!! GO GET A BRAHMA!!! Peace up, A-Town down.

HBsr
11-28-2004, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by gobbler grad
This will be another great game...would like to see Hallettsville win this one:clap: , but PI is too much to handle

guess ur prediction on PI being too much to handle was a lil wrong

*britt*
HB kicks more than just footballs;)

BlueBlood
11-28-2004, 08:20 PM
When was the last time Halletsville was playing football this late in the season?

HBsr
11-28-2004, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by BlueBlood
When was the last time Halletsville was playing football this late in the season?

honestly.. i couldnt tell u.. and im from here.. lol thats bad huh???

*britt*

p.s. i think our team plays well together and is all heart this year... unlike last years team who had a lot of wanna be stars

CheerMom
11-29-2004, 09:27 AM
If I have heard right, the last time the Brahmas have gone this far is 1979. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.