PDA

View Full Version : This is hilarious!

28OptionOn2
11-23-2004, 02:36 PM
This was a letter sent to officials at Texas A&M University following their football game at Oklahoma State University. It is posted on Bill Byrne's "Wednesday Weekly" (11-17-04) on the A&M Athletics website. Let me know what y'all think.

Subject of e-mail: Band conduct

To Whom It May Concern:

I had what I first considered a privilege to sit beside the A&M Band at the Oklahoma State University game on October 16, 2004. We have attended games at OSU for 20-plus years and have seen the Cowboys play A&M more than any other team because we really like to see the band march. They are awesome at marching.

However, we have never sat beside the band to witness their activities during the game. I have to tell you I was absolutely appalled at some of what they did collectively representing A&M. Many times during the game, as a group they yelled, “Beat the hell out of OSU.” I will tell you I do not use nor condone this kind of language, nor do I appreciate hearing it. I have been told by an A&M graduate that this particular phrase has been in use by your school since the late 1800s. I regret to hear that.

Worse than this phrase, however, your band also collectively several times throughout the ball game made the universal sign for (an obscene remark) – arm bent at right angle and slapping bicep with opposite hand. I was actually in shock at this display. It is one thing for one or a few fans to conduct themselves in this manner and another for representatives of the school to…you have no control over the fans and much control over the students and faculty.

I am very disappointed to learn that there is such poor sportsmanship and disgusting behavior condoned and actually initiated by people employed at A&M.

It is sad to see our young adults being led to be disrespectful and obnoxious. My 20-year-old daughter attended the game also and to quote her, “Mom, you would have taken us out of here and whipped us if we did anything like that.” As a peer of the group of band members, she was also appalled at their behavior.

I have raised my children to be respectful and considerate. They are now adults and do conduct themselves in a manner that would make anyone proud.

I have no problem with anyone from an opposing team yelling for their team, being loud and excited. I do have a problem with them using profanity in word and action.

I realize that more than likely you will view this letter as “just a disgruntled fan because OSU lost.” Let me assure you, I am not. We lost, period. I can accept that.

Suffice it to say that if we can only attend one game per year, we will no longer choose to attend when the Cowboys play A&M. I am totally disillusioned with your program.

BlueBlood
11-23-2004, 02:47 PM
Whats funny about that?

28OptionOn2
11-23-2004, 02:55 PM
Blueblood, I take it you know nothing about Texas A&M University's traditions.

3afan
11-23-2004, 02:58 PM
if the person who wrote that was genuinly offended then why is it hilarious?

and a question for you aTm-ers :: what is the "pass-back signal" ??? that came out of the same post on the aTm site.

28OptionOn2
11-23-2004, 03:04 PM
I think it's funny because all of the people who don't like A&M (eg. Longhorns, Red Raiders, etc.) all think that A&M's yells and traditions are impressive, yet ridicule them about it. Now, someone is actually offended by them. Sorry, I just think it's funny.

jason
11-23-2004, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by 28OptionOn2
people who don't like A&M (eg. Longhorns, Red Raiders, etc.) all think that A&M's yells and traditions are impressive i dont think that statement is entirely accurate....

spiveyrat
11-23-2004, 03:22 PM
Surely a joke. You think they've never seen/heard anything obscene at an OSU ballgame in 20 years coming from their fans/students/band, etc? Judging by their remarks, if they had, they would have quit going long ago.

JasperDog94
11-23-2004, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by spiveyrat
Surely a joke. You think they've never seen/heard anything obscene at an OSU ballgame in 20 years coming from their fans/students/band, etc? Judging by their remarks, if they had, they would have quit going long ago. Read very carefully. This person is talking about the actions of a group of students sanctioned by the university. They said that they expected that kind of behavior from some fans. But not collectively from a group of students under the direct supervision and guidance of university faculty. There's a big difference.

Ranger Mom
11-23-2004, 04:12 PM
This really has nothing to do with anything, but I have watched the past 3 A&M games and was extremely impressed with the "fan participation" - I think it's awesome. (Granted, I don't know what's being said, but they are fun to watch)!

That being said, I have also watched the past few OU games....that little "diddy" the band plays every 3 seconds makes me want to pull my hair out by the roots!!

CHS_CG
11-23-2004, 04:26 PM
If you have ever been to A&M Yell practice you know that people from the university and students and fans take part in all of that stuff. If this guy or girl, as never seen or heard anything from OSU then they live a very sheltered life!

JasperDog94
11-23-2004, 04:43 PM
I think ya'll are missing the point. I too think it's impressive to have all the cheering. Please read what this person is trying to say. Is this type of vulgarity supported by the band faculty? Obviously so. That's the point.

3afan
11-23-2004, 04:44 PM
just because someone from OK has never been to Ag yell practice or has "never seen or heard anything" does not mean they've led a sheltered life. the world doesn't revolve around college station.

having said that, i agree with what RM said :: the Ags at the football games are about the "supportingist" in all of college football. in fact i'll go so far as to say no other stadium can match kyle field.

but i do have a question ... in the last few games that were on TV i noticed the 3rd deck, upper left section at kyle field is always empty. are the games not selling out or are those seats not there or what??? has anyone else noticed that??? am i wacko???

Rabbit'93
11-23-2004, 04:47 PM
Can we pleeease not start this crap up all over again. :(

3afan
11-23-2004, 04:48 PM
hey - its aTm / UT week !!!!!

CHS_CG
11-23-2004, 05:23 PM
As CHS_Grad85 has told me.. outsiders to A&M just dont understand it and insiders that live and breathe A&M cant explain it. This stuff has been around since before any of us were even thought of. She also made a very good point of one game or one yell practice just wont make outsiders understand.. you have to live this day in and day out. If you dont,you just dont understand. Thats just the way the Aggie Traditions are.

shellman54
11-23-2004, 05:45 PM
poor lady must not have a TV, either, if she considers "hell" to be a vulgarity.

Holmes_Fans
11-23-2004, 05:47 PM
Good thing she don't hear some of the things said on the field by some people.

jason
11-23-2004, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by CHS_CG
you have to live this day in and day out. they brain wash you...you might as well join a cult....

haha a cult with a sheep as its faithful leader....

Rabbit'93
11-23-2004, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
hey - its aTm / UT week !!!!!

hehe I know...that's what scares me.:D

Stangster
11-23-2004, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by shellman54
poor lady must not have a TV, either, if she considers "hell" to be a vulgarity.
Since when did Television become the standard of what is decent? You really don't expect Hollywood to support morality, do you? There is a higher standard.

easttexan1
11-23-2004, 08:58 PM
In today's world, if you think the word "hell" is vulgar, you definitely need a reality check. You also need to skip church on Sunday so the preacher doesn't offend your sensibilities. As to the obscene gesture, it is not an obscene gesture, but a signal. People really shouldn't criticize things they don't understand. Anyway, GIG'EM AGGIES, and by the way, BEAT THE HELL OUT OF tu!

sinton66
11-23-2004, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by CHS_CG
As CHS_Grad85 has told me.. outsiders to A&M just dont understand it and insiders that live and breathe A&M cant explain it. This stuff has been around since before any of us were even thought of. She also made a very good point of one game or one yell practice just wont make outsiders understand.. you have to live this day in and day out. If you dont,you just dont understand. Thats just the way the Aggie Traditions are.

Good thing for all you "faithful" aggies they don't have a tradition of running head first into a brick wall. Of course, that might explain a few things.:D

3afan
11-23-2004, 10:07 PM
if the person who wrote that was genuinly offended then why is it hilarious?

and a question for you aTm-ers :: what is the "pass-back signal" ??? that came out of the same post on the aTm site.

what is the "pass-back signal" ???

gobbler grad
11-23-2004, 10:14 PM
get different seats and don't let the little things bother you!!!this may happen at all the games...how many others do you go too:confused:

SintonFan
11-23-2004, 11:08 PM
I still think A&M will beat UT.:o :D

AggieBob
11-23-2004, 11:29 PM
You know what this is like? This is like someone going into africa and being offend by cultural ritual and looking down apon them for it. Did you know that in Australia is you show the peace sign it is considered fliping someone off? A&M has a culture all its own and shouldnt be critisized for its traditions. Now the person who wrote this just needs to learn somethings about A&M before she jumps to any conclusions about our character.

3afan- A passback is a signal that the yell leaders start to signal that a yell is about to be done. that signal is passed back through the stands from student to student till everybody knows whats going on. Its a signal done with your hands. EX. the signal that this person is complaining about is the BTHO (insert team here) pass-back. also AggieJohn's avatar contains two passbacks: FIghtem Aggies, and Gig'em Aggies.

JasperDog94
11-23-2004, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by easttexan1
tu :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Please grow up...

JasperDog94
11-23-2004, 11:37 PM
"No officer, it's not what you think it is. You see in my culture, when you show someone your middle finger, it means that you think they're number 1.":crazy:

AggieBob
11-23-2004, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Please grow up...

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Dude...you need to grow up and realize that that is what every single true Aggie refers to ut as...theres no way you are going to convinced them otherwise. Would you prefer t-sips?:kiss:

AggieBob
11-23-2004, 11:41 PM
"No officer, it's not what you think it is. You see in my culture, when you show someone your middle finger, it means that you think they're number 1.":crazy:

????I Never said anything about a middle finger. Just a gester, there are no fingers used in the passback.

jason
Originally posted by AggieBob
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Dude...you need to grow up and realize that that is what every single true Aggie refers to ut as...theres no way you are going to convinced them otherwise. Would you prefer t-sips?:kiss: well there are aggie alumni on this board that say they dont like it, and they agree it makes the school look bad...

JasperDog94
Would you be so kind as to explain to me the meaning behind "t-sip"?

JasperDog94
11-23-2004, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by jason
well there are aggie alumni on this board that say they dont like it, and they agree it makes the school look bad... Yeah, why does school pride and tradition need to come from trashing another university? And what about the Aggies on this board and elsewhere that don't like it? Does that mean that they aren't a "true aggie"?

AggieBob
11-23-2004, 11:44 PM
well there are aggie alumni on this board that say they dont like it, and they agree it makes the school look bad...

I belive i said "true Aggie"...

JasperDog94
11-23-2004, 11:44 PM
????I Never said anything about a middle finger. Just a gester, there are no fingers used in the passback. But it's my culture and tradition...so it must be okay, right?

AggieBob
11-23-2004, 11:47 PM
Yeah, why does school pride and tradition need to come from trashing another university? And what about the Aggies on this board and elsewhere that don't like it? Does that mean that they aren't a "true aggie"?

trashing??? :nerd:

CHS_CG
11-24-2004, 12:05 AM
But it's my culture and tradition...so it must be okay, right?

fine you dont see us trashin your tradition do you?
Like I said b4 if you havent grown up with it or lived it day in and day out then you dont understand and never will so just please drop it.

PPHSfan
11-24-2004, 12:18 AM
I think the person who "wrote" this letter had their tongue pressed firmly in their cheek. And anyone who argues about this stupid letter deserves to be scolded and put in the corner. It has nothing to do with rude behavior. It has everything to do with being funny. I can't believe it went over so many intelligent heads.

big daddy russ
11-24-2004, 02:22 AM
well there are aggie alumni on this board that say they dont like it, and they agree it makes the school look bad... Really? I haven't seen them. Do you have a quote?

Keith7
11-24-2004, 02:48 AM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
Don't use TU that is disrespectful and makes A&M look bad...

P.S. Keith7 is awesome

here is one

Keith7
11-24-2004, 02:50 AM
actually if you talked to anybody outside of the state of texas about UT, they would assume you were talking about Tennessee.. so maybe reffering to them as TU would be a smarter thing to do, maybe the sheep lovers have a point

stallion02
11-24-2004, 02:55 AM
A&M has a chant that says "Beat the hell outta..."
Wait, what? THAT'S what this is all about? That's the big deal? That is what's so offensive?

I hope people see the point of this. It's all in good fun. I did think it was funny to read about the lady who found this so offensive. I could just picture some upper class, straight-outta-suburbia, sheltered lady that was appalled at our yell. And it made me grin a little bit. I think with her attending the violent spectacle of college football, people chanting" beat the hell outta OSU" wasn't the worst thing she saw that day. Yes I understand her disapproval with the university allowing it, but why should everybody be so uptight and politically correct about everything. Football is a relaxing and enjoyable escape, from the stresses of the rest of the world where everything must be taken so seriously.

I dont know... thats just how I feel about all this. But what can I say, I am an Aggie.

"From the outside looking in, you don't understand it. From the inside looking out, you can't explain it."

sinton66
11-24-2004, 07:53 AM
"From the outside looking in, you don't understand it. From the inside looking out, you can't explain it."

Sounds like an excuse to me.

3afan
11-24-2004, 07:57 AM
3afan- A passback is a signal that the yell leaders start to signal that a yell is about to be done. that signal is passed back through the stands from student to student till everybody knows whats going on. Its a signal done with your hands. EX. the signal that this person is complaining about is the BTHO (insert team here) pass-back. also AggieJohn's avatar contains two passbacks: FIghtem Aggies, and Gig'em Aggies.

thanks .....

but what about my kyle field question? any of you aTm-ers?
"... in the last few games that were on TV i noticed the 3rd deck, upper left section, visitors side at kyle field is always empty. are the games not selling out or are those seats not there or what??? has anyone else noticed that??? "

Rabbit'93
11-24-2004, 10:21 AM
please make it stop:foul:

Ranger Mom
11-24-2004, 10:58 AM
thanks .....

but what about my kyle field question? any of you aTm-ers?
"... in the last few games that were on TV i noticed the 3rd deck, upper left section, visitors side at kyle field is always empty. are the games not selling out or are those seats not there or what??? has anyone else noticed that??? "

It's a conspiracy 3afan!! Doesn't look like you are gonna get an answer...does it?? :thinking: :thinking:

3afan
11-24-2004, 11:01 AM
oh well ......... what are ya gonna do?

happy thinksgiving!!!! about to hit the road (to Cove), back friday after the ut/aTm game, then to Texas Stadium on Sat!!!!

28OptionOn2
11-24-2004, 11:08 AM
Anyway, GIG'EM AGGIES, and by the way, BEAT THE HELL OUT OF tu!

I think Longhorns should start saying MnA so that the Aggies could see just how stupid they sound saying "t.u." Oh yeah, and A&M must be a pretty envious institution of UT if their whole fight song and a lot of their other traditions are focused on UT. I wonder if other teams that the Aggies play wonder why they're shouting and singing "goodbye to Texas University, so long to the orange and white."

Oh yeah, 3afan, I have noticed that about A&M home games. They don't sell out unless it's a big game, or unless they're undefeated. The UT/A&M game last year at Kyle Field wasn't even sold out until game day. Just a couple of observations. Hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving!

JasperDog94
11-24-2004, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by 28OptionOn2
I think Longhorns should start saying MnA so that the Aggies could see just how stupid they sound saying "t.u." But that would make us sound as retarded as they sound.;)