PDA

View Full Version : Tell us something beautiful and/or scenic around your 3A town

Old Cardinal
11-22-2004, 08:25 PM
Well at this exact time of year each fall season, Bridge City has "Spectacular Island". If you park on the north side of Hwy 73/87 by the Bridges over Cow Bayou, there is a boat launch parking area. Just walk up the bridge and look out over the Island to the West. You will see one of the most beautiful autumn scenes to be found anywhere. Some are calling it the last fall color extravanganza to be viewed before winter comes in to drop the leaves. The island is covered with sumac, water maple, chinese tallow, red maple, cypress, sweet gum, and a host of assorted colors to view, mixed into the scenery. Now if you bring your bug spray you can watch the sunset to the west over Cow Bayou from the crest of the bridge. Usually you can see a gator, a nutria or two swimming and the mullet jumping in the bayou. Sometimes you might be treated to a otter playing around the banks. This view of "Spectacular Island" changes a bit each day and last on into near Christmas, or when ever a killing frost gets the foliage.

Tell us something interesting about the area around your town?

wildstangs
11-22-2004, 08:53 PM
Mustang Bowl on Friday nights in the Fall.

theyoefnshow
11-22-2004, 09:07 PM
back when I lived in Cameron there was this beautiful.....no....umm...hmm....well there was this really nice uh.....no...that's not it......well, on Yoe Field we have this huge display that has all of our district, bi district, regional, area, quarterfinal, semi final and state wins year by year! That's real nice!

espn1
11-22-2004, 09:34 PM
Me in a Thong!:D :D :D

LH Panther Mom
11-22-2004, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by espn1
Me in a Thong!:D :D :D

:eek: :doh: :p

gobblerfan02
11-22-2004, 09:43 PM
DeWitt County is suppose to be the wild flower capitol of Texas!

NSUTrumpet08
11-22-2004, 09:56 PM
Jasper has Lake Sam Rayburn to the north...

SintonFan
11-22-2004, 10:12 PM
I love the dragons on the back-half three green...:D
Seriously, seeing alligators on any golf course is cool!:cool:

mustang04
11-22-2004, 10:26 PM
The leaves rustling slowly and softly in the wind,
the chilly air bringing forth good summer's end.
The sound of football fans yellin in the air,
the trick-or-treating at Halloween on the Square.
The hot cocoa, with marshmellows floating atop,
eating turykey and dressing, till you can almost pop.
Sitting around a fireplace, on a cozy peaceful night,
staying in bed on weekends, cuz u know its alright.

Thats the perfect fall....BUT!!!!!...i live in west texas....

The dirt getting in your eyes, it stings like a son-of-a-b****,
u dont wear a costume to Halloween, and u still look like a witch,
the football games are freezin cold, and the wind does not help,
your whole face gets frost bitten, and u become one BIG welp,
you have hot cocoa, but just ran out of sugar and marshmellows
u cant even get the stupid fire started with 5 or six fellows
so u end up freezin ur butt off, while sitting around the house,
not even living conditions for a small, battered field mouse.
This is Sweetwater's Fall, and i still, truly love it,
and if yall have a problem with it, u can kindly, simply shove it!

:D :D :D

both poems by ME

onfirebball05mustang
11-22-2004, 10:37 PM
nice reggie...real nice!

manor's fall....
Manor Fest..ahh the smell/taste of bbq and volleyball playoffs..on top of that RAIN, cold, dust and bad traffic...

mustang04 says it best though!:clap: :clap:

gobbler grad
11-22-2004, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by gobblerfan02
DeWitt County is suppose to be the wild flower capitol of Texas!

:( now it's guadalupe river valley, because the river is coming to town...I really hope not!!:hand: go away water

Ranger Mom
11-22-2004, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by mustang04

both poems by ME

You are darn good at that Reggie!!:inlove:

Old Tiger
11-23-2004, 12:34 AM
We have a lake that is polluted by Alcoa. And we got Alcoa. Oh and a golf course.

Stangster
11-23-2004, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by mustang04

both poems by ME
Reggie,
You have too much time on your hands!

jmcgee
11-23-2004, 01:23 AM
Reggie your gay

Tidal Wave
11-23-2004, 01:47 AM
Port Isabel has a bridge that links from PI to an Island called South Padre Island with Palm trees,a beach with sandunes and hot girls during spring break:D haha GO TARPONS!!

JasperDog94
11-23-2004, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by NSUTrumpet08
Jasper has Lake Sam Rayburn to the north... You got that right! We also have Toledo Bend about 20 miles from Rayburn. Two great bass fishing lakes!

BlueBlood
11-23-2004, 10:16 AM
At Barbers Hill you can go out to the recreation center which is just beautiful. Golf course is really nice. Rec center has a wave pool, weight room, basketball courts, and a great food area. Lots of trees. Or you could go south of I-10 and enjoy Trinty Bay and the fishing. Or you could go to the marsh and hunt. Or just drive down Eagle drive and you will see an outstanding high school with a gorgeous football field, tennis courts, and baseball field. Man, I'm living in the middle of paradise.

"Barbers Hill will be 5A in ten years"

PPHSfan
11-23-2004, 10:22 AM
Pilot Point has a nice Mural. And the nicest natural grass football field in the State. The turf is grown at a nearby farm, where the softest ground in North America is found. We also have some of the finest horses on the planet, standing at the nicest horse facilities anywhere. Land in town, and in some of the residential communties sells for upwards of 75k an acre. We also have a nice school system, that has not had a single drop-out in several years.

Here is a picture of one of the Horse Barns at Valor Farms.

http://www.valorfarm.com/Tour%20Pages/images/tour%20-%20mare%20barn%20at%20night_jpg.jpg

Here is a LINK (http://www.valorfarm.com/virtual_tour.html) to one of the Horse Farm websites that is loaded with nice pics.

Mural story and link (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://images.ibsys.com/2003/0821/2422053_200X150.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.nbc5i.com/news/2422024/detail.html&h=150&w=200&sz=8&tbnid=TtW_figuGNQJ:&tbnh=74&tbnw=98&start=2&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dpilot%2Bpoint%2Bmural%2Beve%26hl%3Den %26lr%3D%26safe%3Doff%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26sa%3DN)

BullFrog Dad
11-23-2004, 10:25 AM
At LW more retail square footage than any 3A town in the state.

pirate44
11-23-2004, 10:44 AM
i'd say Sinton's High School trophy case is beautiful.:p

District303aPastPlayer
11-23-2004, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by pirate44
i'd say Sinton's High School trophy case is beautiful.:p

that is. . . also, we have the Rob & Bessie Welder Park that is Part of the Great Texas Birding Trail. Its a real nice area. In that park as well, we have a golf course. A lil bit further north, you have the Welder Wildlife Refuge(get a sense of a hint with the last name). Its a very nice place. . . In Victoria, you have Patty Welder elementary. . . named for the welder family, just like the park and refuge. :D

PurpleHart
11-23-2004, 05:20 PM
UH.... we have a nice ... Graveyard. Yeah some really old headstones.:doh:

Keith7
11-23-2004, 05:22 PM
San Diego has a beach that is connected to a big body of water called the "pacific ocean" its was water is very blue and there are hott girls on it year round

AP Panther Fan
11-23-2004, 05:34 PM
We have some nice saltwater flats complete with kayak trails and a lighthouse. It is also pretty neat to see the shrimp boats arriving and departing from Conn Brown Harbor. On any given day on the stretch between Aransas Pass and Port Aransas you will see people fishing, kayaking or just cruising around in their boats.....aaaahhhh, a life of leisure!:cool: :cool: :cool:

honeymd
11-23-2004, 05:52 PM
Port Isabel is a small shrimping village. Gateway to South Padre Island! A beach paradise and Spring Break Mecca...and only 30 minutes from Mexico. Living in Port Isabel is like being on vacation all year long...:D

AP Panther Fan
11-23-2004, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by honeymd
Port Isabel is a small shrimping village. Gateway to South Padre Island! A beach paradise and Spring Break Mecca...and only 30 minutes from Mexico. Living in Port Isabel is like being on vacation all year long...:D

We should both work for our local Chambers of Commerce!:D

LHMom
11-23-2004, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by PurpleHart
UH.... we have a nice ... Graveyard. Yeah some really old headstones.:doh:

Hey - don't forget we have some world famous sculptures at the middle school.

And Sunday morning, my family that was visiting for the weekend woke up to the sound of two bucks fighting - right in my front yard. It was very cool.

slpybear the bullfan
11-23-2004, 10:57 PM
Bridgeport has the best wife in the whole world...

Mrs. Slpybear

(there, that ought to get me out of a few years of purgatory and some good tools for Christmas ;) )

raider red 2000
11-23-2004, 11:01 PM
wharton-
has a big dinosaur...it is by the river....i hope it dosnt float away.

Old Cardinal
11-24-2004, 07:19 PM
Thanks folks: This was kind of fun. When off-season rolls around we always do some interesting things so don't abandon the site in a few weeks.

GreenMonster
11-24-2004, 09:18 PM
We have a beautifully landscaped landfill situated on the Southwest side of town just outside the city limits. It is very visible from most parts of town. You just haven't seen anything until you've seen how it is possible to landscape a landfill with blowing trash. We're so PROUD!!

It's actually an ugly piece of poo that our city father's never saw coming when they sold the city landfill to a private corp that then sold it to a larger private corp that decided the only way it could be profitable was to contract with area communities to haul their trash too making our little landfill a very large Regional landfill.

wildkat0507
11-24-2004, 10:38 PM
i know that when i go to Mont Belview, i always go to their rec center called eagle point. and that a cool place. i Also go to church there when i visit. it is real nice. especially in the summer, and the wave pool .

Sinton Pirate#2
11-24-2004, 10:50 PM
whataburger...lol:D

rattlerbb01
11-25-2004, 12:30 AM
northbound on highway 6 just before the navasota river. on a clear day you can see kyle field 20 miles away. at night, bryan/CS is a sheet of lights just spread out. oh, and green river valley for miles. beautiful thing it is

gobblerfan02
11-25-2004, 12:33 AM
Well, today I came home for the feast, and the only scenic view around cuero is the guadalupe river flooding! Not as bad as the previous two floods, but dang that river is still pretty high!

CHSBaseball07
11-25-2004, 12:45 AM
Umm here in Caldwell we have a ......umm.....well the McDonalds was a big hit when it first opened......and then umm...we got a lot of gas stations......2 of which my dad owns..lol...and a new Civic CENTER!!

Highschoolfan78
11-25-2004, 02:46 AM
Yep... we have a nice little sized lake filled with nasty river water. River crested right before midnight at 40.56 feet. that's practically 11 feet less than it was in 98. The town seemed to be in panic mode once again. Maybe it's a sign that when the town floods, Cuero goes to state. Yep.. that's it.. It has to be that. By the way, we also have a nice christmas display in the park lasting from november till late january.

Old Cardinal
11-25-2004, 12:08 PM
To Rattlerbb01: I kind of like the town and area around Navasota.

Your town has structure and a lot going for it.....

I saw in the paper this morning where Rusk, TX might have the large mental health facility there--SHUT DOWN. That will be a blow to the local economy. Boy I would like to have their AD and football coach, Wayne McHaffey back in Bridge City. He is an ace of a Coach. He was an assistant down here in the mid-80s.
When Marlin lost their big facility similar to the present Rusk State operation, in pretty well curtained a lot of their economy.
If that happens at Rusk, since it is in a pretty retirement area in about a year the homes will be picked up at deep discounted prices by retirees moving to Texas.

Old Cardinal
11-25-2004, 04:13 PM
T

Old Cardinal
11-26-2004, 02:50 PM
Can someone tell us about Lindale and also Palestine? I was in the Lindale area last weekend and from what I saw it's kind of pretty!

Hupernikomen
11-26-2004, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by Old Cardinal
To Rattlerbb01: I kind of like the town and area around Navasota.

Your town has structure and a lot going for it.....

I saw in the paper this morning where Rusk, TX might have the large mental health facility there--SHUT DOWN. That will be a blow to the local economy. Boy I would like to have their AD and football coach, Wayne McHaffey back in Bridge City. He is an ace of a Coach. He was an assistant down here in the mid-80s.
When Marlin lost their big facility similar to the present Rusk State operation, in pretty well curtained a lot of their economy.
If that happens at Rusk, since it is in a pretty retirement area in about a year the homes will be picked up at deep discounted prices by retirees moving to Texas.

Indeed that is bad news for the area. We should be opening more of these types of facilities instead of shutting them down. Here's hoping we find something else to consolidate to save money.

rattlerbb01
11-27-2004, 05:32 PM
yeah, driving up 69 you cant help but notice the mental health facilities. i have taken numerous TDCJ inmates to Skyview when they lose it down here. I would have to include the large building at the bottom of the hill as pretty scenic. Always catches my attention, anyhow.

lepfan
11-27-2004, 06:06 PM
first of all this is not my hometown...I just happen to live here for the time... not much scenic land around here...we drove to Pikes Peak yesterday...that is the most scenery I have seen in a while...other than the famous feedlots with cow poop piled about 20 yards up...ph, and it has the smell to go with it when it rains!!!

HighSchool Fan
11-27-2004, 06:20 PM
the nice thing about Gainesville is that it don't take to long to drive through it. :D

we also have a water tower that has 3 championships painted on it, collage baseball, high school basketball and high school football.

lobo12
11-28-2004, 07:36 PM
when i first saw this i thought well there is nothing scenic around monahans, but the only thing i could come up with would be the sandhills

Ranger Mom
11-28-2004, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by lobo12
when i first saw this i thought well there is nothing scenic around monahans, but the only thing i could come up with would be the sandhills

lol...that's why I haven't posted in this thread....I couldn't think of anything either!!

Old Cardinal
11-28-2004, 07:59 PM
I have never figured out why teachers want to stay in sorry looking places. I would want to live in Wimberley or somewhere in the hill country if I were a teacher. Now those that have more advanced technical degrees tend to live where the mega-industry salaries are 3 times that of a teacher. That tends to be the contributing factor to keep those people in less desirable places.
Looks like some scenic towns would have a thousand extra teachers applications each year since teacher jobs are not dependent on high salary industry locations.

PPHSfan
11-28-2004, 08:01 PM
Ranger Mom,

Something Midland has going for it.

It can rain for two hours in the morning, and you can play golf after lunch.

If it rains for two hours in East Texas you can't play for three days. LOL

Sandman
11-28-2004, 08:20 PM
Can someone tell us about Lindale and also Palestine? I was in the Lindale area last weekend and from what I saw it's kind of pretty!

Palestine is nice in the spring when the dogwoods bloom. It is an old railroad town, and has a nice old style downtown. It is really nice to ride the Texas State Railroad between Palestine and Rusk during Dogwood Trails.

Ranger Mom
11-28-2004, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by PPHSfan
Ranger Mom,

Something Midland has going for it.

It can rain for two hours in the morning, and you can play golf after lunch.

If it rains for two hours in East Texas you can't play for three days. LOL

I don't think I have EVER seen my name in the same post as the word Golf.....hope to never see it again!!:p

PPHSfan
11-28-2004, 11:07 PM
Lindale has some nice homes. A nice golf couse. "Hideaway Lakes". And is only a short drive from the boats in Louisiana.:)

BIGHANK
11-28-2004, 11:11 PM
ME

HBsr
11-28-2004, 11:36 PM
the lavaca county courthouse:)

Ranger05
11-28-2004, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
lol...that's why I haven't posted in this thread....I couldn't think of anything either!!
um i cant think of anything either maybe the new complex

lepfan
11-28-2004, 11:52 PM
I have never figured out why teachers want to stay in sorry looking places. I would want to live in Wimberley or somewhere in the hill country if I were a teacher. Now those that have more advanced technical degrees tend to live where the mega-industry salaries are 3 times that of a teacher. That tends to be the contributing factor to keep those people in less desirable places.
Looks like some scenic towns would have a thousand extra teachers applications each year since teacher jobs are not dependent on high salary industry locations.

I took a $6000 paycut when I moved from Midland to LaGrange, I worked for Ector County ISD and went to LG ISD...and then took another paycut to come up to scenic (NOT!) western Kansas, this area of Kansas pays more than the more scenic areas---they need some incentive to pull teachers in---because it is pretty ugly...right now it is looking good out my window...everything is covered in about 2 inches of snow...we should have around 6-8 inches by tomorrow night

Z motion 10 out on 2
11-28-2004, 11:54 PM
Your way out of town in Vernon. Just ugly here. Too bad because its a nice place to raise your kids.

Old Cardinal
11-30-2004, 06:08 PM
Orangefield----- I was driving over the upper Cow Bayou bridge on Hwy 105(about a 1/2 mile from Orangefield HS) and I realized that -yes- OF has something unique. There are still about 25 old time standing derricks that remind us of the great oil boom town of the 1920s. Every once in a while a movie crew comes into the area to use the derricks as the backdrop in assorted movies.

LALK
11-30-2004, 08:00 PM
rosa's

FootballChik98
11-30-2004, 08:03 PM
In Canton, we have the First Monday Trades days each month. It's actually this coming weekend. Lots of people come to visit and shop, so I guess that would count!

Mustang22
11-30-2004, 08:07 PM
OH. I know we have a bunch a rattlesnakes in Sweetwater, those are really beautiful.

lepfan
12-01-2004, 01:24 AM
I love going to that!!!!:D

Old Cardinal
12-01-2004, 10:31 PM
Orange has a nice little park down on the Sabine River.

Hupernikomen
12-01-2004, 10:39 PM
I enjoyed fishing off of that old wooden bridge there in your town OC. Pretty spot to take kids fishing.

cdlvj
12-02-2004, 10:11 AM
Guess you would have to say Monument Hill near La Grange.
and the drive down the bluff, although they replaced the small rock wall, as it was much scenic with the rocks.

Old Cardinal
12-02-2004, 10:24 PM
I forgot to mention on the post about Orangefield that each year they array one of the old derricks with Christmas lights. It looks real pretty....Huper, I assume that you are talking about the abandoned bridge there at Cow Bayou in Orangefield. The largest white perch(crapie) that I ever caught came from under those pilings.

PappaBear
12-10-2004, 01:23 PM
Sam Rayburn

http://www.gunslinger1.com/Sunset2.jpg

Jody
12-10-2004, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
You got that right! We also have Toledo Bend about 20 miles from Rayburn. Two great bass fishing lakes!

Don't forget you have a Walmart too.

Jody
12-10-2004, 01:36 PM
Thanks folks: This was kind of fun. When off-season rolls around we always do some interesting things so don't abandon the site in a few weeks.

You can always root for Barbers Hill next year so you don't have to worry about post season blues so soon.....:D

Hey there friend...long time no see! Wished you were going to make the Jasper slaughter this weekend..... :D

Jody
12-10-2004, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by Highschoolfan78
Yep... we have a nice little sized lake filled with nasty river water. River crested right before midnight at 40.56 feet. that's practically 11 feet less than it was in 98. The town seemed to be in panic mode once again. Maybe it's a sign that when the town floods, Cuero goes to state. Yep.. that's it.. It has to be that. By the way, we also have a nice christmas display in the park lasting from november till late january.

I bet the park in Victoria is under water then.

Jody
12-10-2004, 01:41 PM
Orangefield----- I was driving over the upper Cow Bayou bridge on Hwy 105(about a 1/2 mile from Orangefield HS) and I realized that -yes- OF has something unique. There are still about 25 old time standing derricks that remind us of the great oil boom town of the 1920s. Every once in a while a movie crew comes into the area to use the derricks as the backdrop in assorted movies.

I have actually took black and white medium fomat pictues of those. I will have to save one for you and bring it to you next year.

big daddy russ
12-10-2004, 01:57 PM
Ingleside has a stoplight and a horse.

big daddy russ
12-10-2004, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by FootballChik98
In Canton, we have the First Monday Trades days each month. It's actually this coming weekend. Lots of people come to visit and shop, so I guess that would count! I was just in Canton last weekend for First Monday. My roommate is from Grand Saline... that area ranks with the Hill Country as the prettiest in Texas in my books. Looks like something out of a book. The best thing I could compare it to would be Vermont/New Hampshire in the fall. It was awesome.

AP Panther Fan
12-10-2004, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Ingleside has a stoplight and a horse.

HEY....you gotta start somewhere!;)

Hmmmm, thinking, thinking, thinking...Oh yeah, Live Oak Park is pretty neat. Even has a Renaissance Fair going on there this weekend. :D

PappaBear
12-10-2004, 02:21 PM
More pics of Lake Sam Rayburn

http://www.jaspercoc.org/images/samraylake.gif

http://ftp.pcworld.com/pub/screencams/sunset-lake.jpg

http://www.mvk.usace.army.mil/offices/od/odm/avm/photos/samrayburnlake.jpg

Also Dam B or Lake Steinhagan for non locals

http://www.jaspercoc.org/Steinhagen.jpg

http://www.jaspercoc.org/016_16.jpg

http://www.jaspercoc.org/images/martindies1.JPG

and Toledo Bend Res.

http://www.texs.com/crafts/greg_crafts_toledo_bend.jpg

http://ww2.imagewiz.net/images/hvac/36396_Toledo_Bend_Catfish.jpg

http://www.deepeasttexasnature.com/newton_sites/bald_eagle.JPG

Angelina National Forest around Sam Rayburn

http://www.bjgeiger.com/texas/pictures/t05.jpg

scrub c
12-10-2004, 02:25 PM
west columbia has the First Capitol of the Republic of Texas.

(and a 2004 district championship)

bullfrog_alumni_02
12-10-2004, 02:43 PM
in lake worth there is of course a lake, it has lots of soot right now, but it still makes for great pictures. there is also a castle the in practically on the lake. there is a rock quarry near the lake aswell. back in the 20's or so, we had a casino that sat on the water, but its long gone now, however the posts are still there that gave it its foundation. thats about all i can remember off the top of my head right now.

big daddy russ
12-10-2004, 02:57 PM
Isn't Lake Worth home to J.R.'s mansion in the soap opera Dallas? Or was that Lake Dallas?

bullfrog_alumni_02
12-10-2004, 03:17 PM
im thinkin that prize belongs to lake dallas...aside from the the new homes coming into lake worth, there arent too many mansions in lake worth...

LHSCheerleader
12-10-2004, 03:31 PM
I guess ours is the Trinity River..but that's not much to look at.. :(

Well we have really big flags when you first come to our town..at all ends of entering

bullfrog_alumni_02
12-10-2004, 03:52 PM
hey LHSCheerleader i think you may need to relink your sig...it just shows a red x

LH Panther Mom
12-10-2004, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by bullfrog_alumni_02
hey LHSCheerleader i think you may need to relink your sig...it just shows a red x

I see it. :(

LHSCheerleader
12-10-2004, 03:58 PM
but i can see it on my computer?!

bullfrog_alumni_02
12-10-2004, 04:00 PM
maybe its just my computer then...:thinking:

Jody
12-10-2004, 04:01 PM
There is a Hooters not far from me. Now that is something beautiful....right?

bullfrog_alumni_02
12-10-2004, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by Jody
There is a Hooters not far from me. Now that is something beautiful....right? i would certainly say it is!!!