PDA

View Full Version : Rice, Bellvile, and Navasota....

NHSRattler60
11-22-2004, 10:33 AM
I don't think anyone ever pointed this out but...congrats you 3 for being:

Navasota: 20-3a District Champions
Bellville: 20-3a District Champions
Rice Consolidated: 20-3a District Champions

jason
11-22-2004, 10:37 AM
thats cool to see a 3 way tie for champs....

but they're lacking in the 'play-off wins' category this year......

CheerMom
11-22-2004, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by jason
thats cool to see a 3 way tie for champs....

but they're lacking in the 'play-off wins' category this year......

Rice had several key injuries.

snakebite
11-22-2004, 11:18 AM
This was a great season for all of these teams. They all had big upsets and both in winning and in losing. Congrats to all of ya'll and good luck next year!!

rattlerbb01
11-22-2004, 05:55 PM
well, who is gonna be on top next year? Navasota loses its big RB and playmaker QB/DB, Rice loses its big RB, and Bellville loses its playmaker Sanders. I here that the Brahmas have an up and coming soph. RB, and the Rattlers should have a decent soph. arm behind center. Any other D-20 fans know about next year?

FormerBellvilleBrahma
11-22-2004, 06:48 PM
This district was locked with co-champs, Bellville was the #1 seed, Rice #2 and Navasota #3. Bellville sould be the pick in this district the next 2 years they have a lot of under classmen coming back next year, the Brahmas will have some young skill players back that saw action this year, Bellville will be loaded with Jrs, and Sophmors next year. Lane O'conner, will lead the Brahmas at QB, for the next 2 years. Bellville should be picked to win the district the next 2 years, the 2nd year going deep in the play-offs.
This group of boys ( freshman, and sophmors) are undefeated, since the 7th grade .
Not sure about this years Jr High teams but I think the A teams were also undefeated. If so looks like Bellville will be good for the next 4 or 5 years. Good Luck to the Brahmas!!!!!!!

Bull's-eye
11-23-2004, 06:07 PM
Yes FBB, Bellville has a bright future! Several back-to-back classes that have been undefeated. They may struggle early, with a new QB and finding a replacement for Sanders, but once this team gets rolling they will be a force for 2-3 years. I didn't see alot of size on the play-off call ups, but I expect this year sophs to grow some in the next 2 years. This year's freshman class was one of the best ever in Bellville. I can't wait for next season.

scotty
11-24-2004, 10:27 PM
I didn’t see all that many line prospects along the Bellville sideline during the season, nor the playoffs. Looking at the program it doesn’t indicate all that many line prospects either.
That seemed to be Bellville’s big weakness this year. I’m wondering do the Bellville freshmen and sophomore classes have a lot of quality line prospects.
The offensive line was the problem with just about all of the district 20-3A teams.
The teams that can dominate in the trenches usually win in high school. From the junior varsity on down a couple of real good skill players can dominate a game, but usually not in high school.
Do you see any of the D-20 3A teams having real dominating linemen on the horizon? I didn’t see it at Sealy, Rice, Columbus, Navasota or Bellville. And if that is the case, I don’t expect long playoff drives unless teams can win in the trenches.

NHSRattler60
11-25-2004, 12:54 AM
The offensive line was the problem with just about all of the district 20-3A teams.

The O-line was no problem for Navasota, Rice, Bellville, or Sealy. You can't go 9-2 with a weak O-line. Theres no way. Trust me when I say for navasota the O-line was not the weakness. Navasota had key injuries late in the season. District 20-3a destroyed each other. Each team took blows to the roster. Columbus lost 22 of their starters. Rice Lost huffman against bellville. We lost 2 of our middle linebackers, one of them being a dang good wide receiver, the other being a great Backup QB and a great short yardage reciever. And we lost 2 stellar recievers when we needed them. We were a very small team made of nothing but the best Navasota had to offer. We couldnt afford to lose people but we did. Bellville, who went the farthest in the playoffs had a decently healthy team. So O-lines? No. Hempstead, maybe, Columbus, maybe, but the top 4 teams, theres no way you could say the o-lines were the weaknesses.

How do you think Navasota got to be th #1 offense in the District? No offense Chris is a great runner, and Scott is a stellar QB, those are my brothers and I respect them very much, but even the best ball handlers in the country can't get as far as we have without a fairly decent o-line in front of them. Im sorry to go off like this...I've bit my tongue about everything I could, but NOBODY tells me that me and my brothers were the weak point of the team. We worked our hind ends off to get to the point we got to, and NOBODY is going to take our pride and glory away from us.

Side Note: I take full responsibility for what I just said, and I do not at all mean to take away from the great players, coaches, and people of Navasota. Everyone is a class act in Navasota, and is being misrepresented by me in this post. Please do not form your opinion on Navasota because of my actions.

I do want to defend myself about an earlier post made before i ROMed myself. It wasn't me because I dont use words like "Representin'" and "Head Busta's". I got in trouble for it and took it with a grain of salt, but it wasn't me. A coach had it edited out by Ranger Mom, rightfully so. It was total trash talk.

scotty
11-25-2004, 07:39 AM
My other post wasn’t meant to be offensive, but I continue to believe that real good football teams must have outstanding line play.
And from what I’m hearing, from Bellville fans, is that a district championship isn’t what their projections are from the group they have coming up.
It’s the big plum that comes around the week before Christmas. I believe that Bellville will have the skill type kids to make a good run at that prize, but do they have the offensive and defensive linemen?
During the La Grange and Sealy championship runs, they had the real good lines.
There were several times during Sealy’s runs that they were as much as three deep in the offensive line.
That took care of the injury problems. If one went down another was put in his place and the team did just as well.
Now before I get in trouble with the skill kid’s parents I know you need both linemen and skill kids to make a team go.

Bellville22
11-25-2004, 10:35 AM
'scotty', I absolutely agree with your concerns. I've asked several people, as well, about whether these younger groups have any size, and I can't say I've ever got a real answer. I'm with you, without a line, you can't make a run. Personally I've seen very few "big fellas" in those lower classes, but alot of those Freshmen will still have a chance to grow, hopefully a few will hit a spurt. No doubt Bellville has an amazing group of skill people coming up. They'll have all kinds of guys that can make plays. My concern, however, much like you, is will we have a line, and will we have someone to run the show. If you want to reach the level Bellville is shooting for, you have to have a QB with a good head on his shoulders. Bellville has some candidates, but I want to see some one step up and be the guy.

BrahmaMom
11-25-2004, 08:19 PM
I am going to surprise a few of you, but Bellville just showed us that you don't have to be big to be tough. We had such a small defense, yet they made it happen. Don't sell them short (or small) because it just might come back to haunt you! GO BRAHMAS--get ready for next year!

rattlerbb01
11-26-2004, 12:57 AM
i stand with you 60. there were times when i looked at what appeared to be a flat navasota offense (rice, first half of columbus) and was quick to think "man, we just aint blocking." however, to average 370 yards a game you and your brothers were performing exceptionally well. there are sets of downs when a defensive coordinator will call stunts, audible formations, or they send 8 people on a blitz when we call a trap, or some other slow developing play that takes chris some time to get the ball. if i could honestly form an opinion, i believe the only offensive weakness navasota had this year was a lack of passing over the middle. roland and mark (8 and 88) were tall targets capable of catching 8 of ten thrown at them. jermaine (11) would have torn teams up over the middle. and once that happens, chris smith can tear up a line and backers that are dropping back in coverage on a trap. thats my humble opinion anyway. like the tcu scout told me at the sealy game, "there are two things every man in texas thinks they can do. build a fire and coach football." BUT, to reiterate, your line carried our offense. congratulations on our best season since 96.