PDA

View Full Version : Why are people so angry?

TheDOCTORdre
11-20-2004, 03:15 PM
Sunday NFL fight in pregame between Pittsburgh and Clevland, last night NBA Pistons and Pacers, and just now NCAA pregame fight between Clemson and South Carolina

Bullaholic
11-20-2004, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre
Sunday NFL fight in pregame between Pittsburgh and Clevland, last night NBA Pistons and Pacers, and just now NCAA pregame fight between Clemson and South Carolina

Unfortunate sign of the times with instant coverage of such events by a global news media, DOCTORdre. Our society grows more violent everyday due to the increased pressures of everyday living in the 21st century and the increased numbers of population. More people per sq. mi. + increased pressure to exist= boiling point. However, as bad as behavior by some of our athletes and fans is, it does not come close to fan behavior exhibited by world soccer fans who have rioted repeatedly at events with many resulting in the loss of lives, numerous serious injuries, and great property loss.

Ranger05
11-20-2004, 03:29 PM
they had fight during the pregame. But they just got in another fight like 30 minutes ago. They had to bring in the state troopers to help break it up. Both sides were swinging helmets and each other and it was an all out brawl.

Keith7
11-20-2004, 03:30 PM
I once met a lil guy who told me this:

"Pain leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering"

I think his name was Yoda

TheDOCTORdre
11-20-2004, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by Keith7

and suffering leads to the Dark side so is that what direction we are heading to

Bullaholic
11-20-2004, 03:32 PM

Wasn't he a catcher for the NY Yankees years agO?:D

mwynn05
11-20-2004, 03:33 PM
Sunday NFL fight in pregame between Pittsburgh and Clevland, last night NBA Pistons and Pacers, and just now NCAA pregame fight between Clemson and South Carolina What about the fight between Waxahachie and Ennis last night?

Keith7
11-20-2004, 03:36 PM
and suffering leads to the Dark side so is that what direction we are heading to

does this answer your question??

http://images5.theimagehosting.com/waldarth.gif

sinton66
11-20-2004, 03:38 PM
It is the ultimate culmination of the attitude that causes simple things like smack talk. It is the culmination of super stars like Terrell Owens and others that engage in public celebrations and taunting. In short, it is the culmination of poor sportsmanship, period. If the respective leagues don't deal with it harshly and soon, it will only get worse.

As evident in the debacle last night between Waxahachie and Ennis, it has already invaded the high school ranks. There are many more examples. How long before it spreads all the way down to Jr. High? It may well be a sign of the times, but it's not forgivable or preventable. It can and MUST be dealt with.

Bullaholic
11-20-2004, 03:38 PM
does this answer your question??

http://images5.theimagehosting.com/waldarth.gif

No, you twit, that's obviously a picture of Darth Wallace, not Yoda Berra.

Keith7
11-20-2004, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
It is the ultimate culmination of the attitude that causes simple things like smack talk. It is the culmination of super stars like Terrell Owens and others that engage in public celebrations and taunting.

this had nothing to do with taunting though??? more like people just getting pissed and wanting to beat the crap out of eachother.. nobody taunted anybody in any of those incidents

District303aPastPlayer
11-20-2004, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic

LMAO!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Bulldog_12
11-20-2004, 03:42 PM
It really is sad to see all of this going on. Now we see fans wanting to come out of the crowd and make fools of themselves. We also see players who pitch temper tantrums and do stupid things to get themselves suspended. Im really glad they suspended all of those guys from last night in the NBA. I am also glad that they didn't let the guys from the Steelers and Browns game. I like the harsh punishment. If grown men are going to act like children, then punish them like children, with a timeout.:D

Phil C
11-20-2004, 03:43 PM
Unfortunate sign of the times with instant coverage of such events by a global news media, DOCTORdre. Our society grows more violent everyday due to the increased pressures of everyday living in the 21st century and the increased numbers of population. More people per sq. mi. + increased pressure to exist= boiling point. However, as bad as behavior by some of our athletes and fans is, it does not come close to fan behavior exhibited by world soccer fans who have rioted repeatedly at events with many resulting in the loss of lives, numerous serious injuries, and great property loss.

Hey I have been to several women's NCAA college soccer games and have never seen any rioting or fighting or even any danger at all. Nor have I ever heard of it in women's soccer.

sinton66
11-20-2004, 03:44 PM
this had nothing to do with taunting though??? more like people just getting pissed and wanting to beat the crap out of eachother.. nobody taunted anybody in any of those incidents

The taunting crap is where this attitude comes from, though Keith. That was my point. From taunting to fighting, it's POOR SPORTSMANSHIP, period.

Bullaholic
11-20-2004, 03:47 PM
It is the ultimate culmination of the attitude that causes simple things like smack talk. It is the culmination of super stars like Terrell Owens and others that engage in public celebrations and taunting. In short, it is the culmination of poor sportsmanship, period. If the respective leagues don't deal with it harshly and soon, it will only get worse.

As evident in the debacle last night between Waxahachie and Ennis, it has already invaded the high school ranks. There are many more examples. How long before it spreads all the way down to Jr. High? It may well be a sign of the times, but it's not forgivable or preventable. It can and MUST be dealt with.

No argument here, 66'. The ultimate question is do the majority of us have enough will and policing power to stem the rising tide of an entire societal trend?

Keith7
11-20-2004, 03:47 PM

here is a picture of yoda berra

http://images5.theimagehosting.com/yodaberra.gif

Bulldog_12
11-20-2004, 03:48 PM
Ha Ha, thats great!

Bullaholic
11-20-2004, 03:49 PM
here is a picture of yoda berra

http://images5.theimagehosting.com/yodaberra.gif

O.k...you win, I guess that's him.

vet93
11-20-2004, 03:49 PM
Sinton66....I agree with you 100%...I guess that we are just old school though.....or maybe we are just OLD;)

The taunting crap is where this attitude comes from, though Keith. That was my point. From taunting to fighting, it's POOR SPORTSMANSHIP, period.

Keith7
11-20-2004, 03:50 PM

TO doesnt taunt though.. just celebrates..

he hasnt taunted since the dallas star incident...

sinton66
11-20-2004, 03:51 PM
No argument here, 66'. The ultimate question is do the majority of us have enough will and policing power to stem the rising tide of an entire societal trend?

From the pros down to the high school level, assault is assault. It is a CRIME and needs to be dealt with as such. That's the answer. If you resort to violence, you should go to JAIL. To quote and old saying, "Evil can only triumph when good men do nothing".

Bullaholic
11-20-2004, 04:03 PM
From the pros down to the high school level, assault is assault. It is a CRIME and needs to be dealt with as such. That's the answer. If you resort to violence, you should go to JAIL. To quote and old saying, "Evil can only triumph when good men do nothing".

Again 66', you and I agree on this topic, the majority of our generation believes strongly in those values and I wish those values could be instilled and enforced in the majority of our society---but the problem is that most of the athletes and largely the active fan base is composed largely of younger people, who may, or may not, be acquainted with and share our values. Perhaps all parents need to do a better job of instilling the proper values in our children and make everyone realize that they will be held fully accountable for their actions in our society. You are correct when you state that it is up to the responsible members of our society to see that these values are enforced.

big daddy russ
11-20-2004, 04:13 PM
That's not the first time a fight has broke out between Clemson and South Carolina. Look back to the 60's and 70's. It also happened once in the late 80's or early 90's. I have a good friend who's a USC grad... her uncle (Bob Peeler) won the governorship of South Carolina on that game.

sinton66
11-20-2004, 04:16 PM

Call it whatever you want, Keith. It comes from the same attitude. Look at the response the "star" incident provoked from George Teague. Who got fined? Teague. Who deserved what he got? Owens, definitely. Were either of them right? No, they weren't.

Bullaholic
11-20-2004, 04:16 PM

Keith....T.O. celebrates the individual, not the team. We teach our kids that there is no "I" in team, yet they see a T.O. violate virtually every rule of good sportmanship regularly every week on t.v. with some ridiculous personal antic. It has to stop, or professional sports will become nothing more than a WWF type of entertainment.

Keith7
11-20-2004, 04:21 PM
Keith....T.O. celebrates the individual, not the team. We teach our kids that there is no "I" in team, yet they see a T.O. violate virtually every rule of good sportmanship regularly every week on t.v. with some ridiculous personal antic. It has to stop, or professional sports will become nothing more than a WWF type of entertainment.

well if he celebrated w/ the team they would get a 15 yard penalty.. lol

sinton66
11-20-2004, 04:27 PM
My response to the "star" incident would have been Teague gets charged with assault, and Owens gets charged with inciting to riot.

Bullaholic
11-20-2004, 04:27 PM
well if he celebrated w/ the team they would get a 15 yard penalty.. lol

I don't think team celebrations after a score should be outlawed in the NFL, Keith. I think it is a healthy part of the "showmanship" of professional sports, as long as it is not a "in your face" type of celebration designed to humiliate the other team. Obviously, the NFL feels that team celebrations have the potential to cause fights, and don't want to take any chance of losing "control" over the game and the players.

mwynn05
11-20-2004, 04:28 PM
very true keith

Keith7
11-20-2004, 04:32 PM
Owens gets charged with inciting to riot.

ri·ot Audio pronunciation of "riot" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (rt)
n.

1. A wild or turbulent disturbance created by a large number of people.
2. Law. A violent disturbance of the public peace by three or more persons assembled for a common purpose.

only 2 people were involved

sinton66
11-20-2004, 04:35 PM
Put the dictionary up and listen. Rioting and Inciting to riot are two different things. Do you not understand it could have emptied the benches in a heartbeat?

spiveyrat
11-20-2004, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
Hey I have been to several women's NCAA college soccer games and have never seen any rioting or fighting or even any danger at all. Nor have I ever heard of it in women's soccer.

Naaa, they just take their clothes off! :D

Gilmer Buckeye
11-20-2004, 10:59 PM
As H. Rap Brown once observed, "Violence is as American as cherry pie."

All those yellow ribbons on people's cars everywhere are not honoring and celebrating peaceniks; they're celebrating warriors.

It can't help but spill over into the rest of society. Ours is a martial society and is growing more violent with each passing year. Maybe that's why they're also trying to clamp down with police state-style measures at the same time. When you whip a population up into an aggressive frenzy, there's a fear of those at the top of losing control.