PDA

View Full Version : Hutch

hutchfan
11-20-2004, 01:15 PM
Wilmer-Hutchins moves on with ease

Bell throws five touchdown passes in area-round win

03:05 AM CST on Saturday, November 20, 2004

By J. BRADY McCOLLOUGH / The Dallas Morning News

RICHARDSON – Wilmer-Hutchins was just plain greedy.

When it wanted more against Wills Point on Friday night, Wilmer-Hutchins found a way to get it. More turnovers. More points.

Led by Mike Robinson, its riverboat gambler of a coach, Wilmer-Hutchins hit the gas when the game started and kept its foot there for 48 minutes in a 42-18 victory over Wills Point in a Class 3A Division II area-round playoff game. If Robinson could draw it up, this is how every game would go.

High school football

Playoff results/pairings

Friday's area scores

Saturday's schedule

Playoff Week 2 photos

Send us your photos

Leaderboard: Schedules, results, rosters, standings, stats and more

More football
"We're not going to play scared," Robinson said. "We play with confidence. We play to win."

By a lot.

Wilmer-Hutchins quarterback Dustin Bell admitted his coach wants blowouts. Bell did everything he could to create one, connecting on 15 of 25 passes for 284 yards and five touchdowns.

"I was in the zone," Bell said. "I have to be a leader for my team, and they followed me."

Everybody followed. Receivers Isiah Oputa and Xavier Rambo caught two touchdown passes apiece. Wilmer-Hutchins intercepted five passes – two each by Derrius Bell and Anthony Webb – and recovered two fumbles.

Wilmer-Hutchins (10-1) advanced to face Tatum in the regional semifinals. The question is, can Wilmer-Hutchins be stopped?

"We've been thinking we can be the best team in the state since the off-season," Bell said. "We said we're getting to December."

Wilmer-Hutchins is one win away from playing in December and four wins from a state title.

John F. Rhodes / DMN
Wilmer-Hutchins' Dustin Bell (3) is brought down by Wills Point's Taelor Brewer (4) and Jesse Epperson. Unlike in last week's 14-12 victory over Bonham, Wilmer-Hutchins stayed focused and overcame a Wills Point push late in the third quarter. Wills Point pulled to within 28-18 on back-to-back touchdowns, a 58-yard run by running back Chris Booker and a 60-yard fumble-recovery return for a touchdown by Chris Cunigan.

After the Wilmer-Hutchins defense came up with a stop at its 10-yard line, Bell found receiver Jefferson Brundige for a 48-yard completion. Wilmer-Hutchins went on to add two touchdowns in the fourth quarter and kept Wills Point grounded.

"They didn't quit, but we showed we don't quit either," Robinson said. "When bad things happen, you learn to bounce back. I'm proud of our kids, and I'm proud of our community."