PDA

View Full Version : Port Isabel v.s. Halletsville

Ibleedblue
11-20-2004, 09:54 AM
regionals!
All comes down to this game. Port Isabel coming off a 35-25 win against Ingleside and halletsvile coming off a 30-19 win over brady meet in the regional championship to either be played at Sam Stadium or in SanAnTonio. What are your predictions on this game. who will win:thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

gobblerfan02
11-20-2004, 09:57 AM
Sorry, but I hafta go w/ Halletsville on this one. They are a very well-balanced ball club, not to say that PI isn't. I'm just supporting 26-3A as long as I can!

CheerMom
11-20-2004, 10:21 AM
Hallettsville is a local team with many kids that I know, but I will have to go with PI. I don't think Hallettsville has been tested this year, with the exception of Cuero. They will be in for a rude awakening when they meet up with the Tarpons, if they are anything like the team that we played last year. Sorry Brahmas, I have to go with PI in this one.

rhs78
11-20-2004, 10:39 AM
congrats to both teams to reach region final. second year in a row for tarpons first in a very long time for the brahmas. here is my take on this one.
Halletsville brings balance offense but spreads it out which can make it tough on defenses. their defense has not given up very many points at all this year around 10 per game. that sounds good until you look at the competition. pre-season played 3-2a teams and 2-3a teams with a combined record of 16 wins and 36 loses. this could hurt them this week. brahmas only loss came to cuero which is a big powerful football team with size and speed on both sides of ball, score 35-14. brahmas have played good ball all year long.

Port Isabel on the other hand has a powerful team with good size and great speed. they run the ball very well and can pass if need be. tarpons schedule was tougher, played 5a,4a,3-a teams in pre season, only defeat was to 5-a los fresnos. they breezed thru district. defense plays very well against run and stepped it up in second half vs Ingleside and shut them down on pass.
this game might be close in first half but P I brings more on both sides of the ball and is use to big games(experience). tarpons win this one by atleast 14. good luck to both teams and stay injury free.

bd62
11-20-2004, 10:49 AM
i think you are wrong about hallettsville not being tested. 17-14 against yoakum with a field goal on last play. 14-7 against a tough luling team in luling. luling and yoakum played cuero down to the wire. that has helped cuero and will help hallettsville in close games.
p.i. has more playoff experience and seem to bring there play up a couple of notches in playoffs. they are solid and get better each week. hallettsville will have to play very well to beat them.p.i. will be by far the best team they have seen in playoffs. it will be a good one to watch.

rhs78
11-20-2004, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by bd62
i think you are wrong about hallettsville not being tested. 17-14 against yoakum with a field goal on last play. 14-7 against a tough luling team in luling. luling and yoakum played cuero down to the wire. that has helped cuero and will help hallettsville in close games.
p.i. has more playoff experience and seem to bring there play up a couple of notches in playoffs. they are solid and get better each week. hallettsville will have to play very well to beat them.p.i. will be by far the best team they have seen in playoffs. it will be a good one to watch.

all i said about brahmas was their pre-season was very weak in competition. they played in a tough district, but that want be near enough against PI. brahmas will have to play their best game of the year and hope for a lot of turnovers. anything can happen !!! but i still pick tarpons in this one

bd62
11-20-2004, 11:04 AM
my comment was directed towards cheermon's saying that hallettsville has not been tested this year except cuero. that is not true. i did not read rhs78 message untill after i sent mine.your point about there pre-dist. schedule is right on.

rhs78
11-20-2004, 11:09 AM
your right bd62 they were tested by three good teams

CheerMom
11-20-2004, 11:27 AM
I'm sorry, but in my opinion, the only team Hallettsville has played that is the same caliber of team, as PI, is Cuero. Not taking away from a good Yoakum team. I'm hoping, today, they go out and prove me wrong and bring home a win against a very stout Liberty Hill team. I will be cheering for the Bulldogs!!

footballgal
11-20-2004, 11:27 AM
All I know is what the Tarpons are capable of doing; but I have never seen the Brahmas, and all I know from my hubby, is that PI lost a heartbreaker by inches them in the 70's. PIs Handel Woods was just inches short of the 1st down. Hallettsville won with one more 1st down or something like that. Interesting Handel Woods' son is a senior on this team with the same#, 44.

Honeymd, you being the Tarpon Football Historian was it that game or Yoakum, my hubby can't remember for sure. He says he remember Juan Castillo (Coach Philadelphia Eagles) just sitting in the field crying in disbelief.

honeymd
11-20-2004, 11:44 AM
Yes, I remember seeing all the things you're talking about. Juan was especially upset and I remember Handel fighting & thrashing around like the Tarpon he was trying to twist another inch while all these guys were tugging on him from all directions...hard to watch.

footballgal
11-20-2004, 11:46 AM
Just read on the RGV Board that the game will be in San Antonio, on Sat. @2:00pm, pending confirmation of which field in SA, hopefully it's Alamo Stadium, I liked that stadium, that's where RC & PI played last year.

honeymd
11-20-2004, 11:46 AM
I don't remember who they were playing though. Maybe this will be revenge for his son?

congo
11-20-2004, 11:47 AM
Just heard the game is gonna be on Saturday in San Antonio ...its at 2pm for sure but don't know what field yet........I'll keep you posted when I get what field it is.....

congo
11-20-2004, 11:56 AM
Its official Saturday at 2:30 Alamo Stadium

peeweetarp
11-20-2004, 11:57 AM
Game is Sat Alamo Stadium @ 2 or 2:30 something like that

SintonFan_inAustin
11-20-2004, 12:41 PM
Ingleside gave yall some problems early but ingleside defense tires and so does there offense with a few players going both ways, Halletsville i think is a notch better than Ingleside with there defense being better than Ingleside. So this will be tight game maybe even overtime, But PI wins it. I think Cuero had some close games in district cause looks like they had some very good teams in that District.

rhs78
11-20-2004, 12:58 PM
don't say overtime!!!! PI & Rice 4ot's same venue ,same time,same round, kind of errie!!!!

CheerMom
11-20-2004, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by rhs78
don't say overtime!!!! PI & Rice 4ot's same venue ,same time,same round, kind of errie!!!!

Same team, same time but different round. We played PI there in the fourth round (Quarterfinals).

rhs78
11-20-2004, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by CheerMom
Same team, same time but different round. We played PI there in the fourth round (Quarterfinals).

sorry cheermom for the error but its still freaky.

CheerMom
11-20-2004, 01:14 PM
sorry cheermom for the error but its still freaky.

yes, it is. :eek:

congo
11-20-2004, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan_inAustin
Ingleside gave yall some problems early but ingleside defense tires and so does there offense with a few players going both ways, Halletsville i think is a notch better than Ingleside with there defense being better than Ingleside. So this will be tight game maybe even overtime, But PI wins it. I think Cuero had some close games in district cause looks like they had some very good teams in that District.

Problems??? The only problems PI had were not caused by their defense it was their own mental mistakes......PI stopped themselves and just showed their true colors in the second half and this game should of never been close had they not turned the ball over in their own territory.....I see PI over Hallettsville by at least 14

footballgal
11-20-2004, 08:13 PM

LOL, :D I hear ya!

Kool Tarpon 21
11-20-2004, 09:49 PM
Hallettsville comes from a good district. I think that this game is going to be a close game. It will go to either team by about 3 or maybe a touchdown. The Tarpons are hungry though. I don't think that they'll let this game slip. Good Luck Tarpons. GO GET A BRAHMA!!! Peace up, A-Town down.

Tidal Wave
11-20-2004, 09:56 PM
Halletsville is not a team to be underestimated..I have no doubt that this game will be very close...Imma be a homer and say PI by 7...if the Tarpons start the way they did against Ingleside then its gonna be hard for them to win..GO TARPONS

CrunkTarpon21
11-20-2004, 10:45 PM
GO TARPONS!!! Peace up, A-Town down.

Unblockability
11-21-2004, 12:14 AM
Go Tarpons!!!!!!!!!

Tarpons stadiun is going to be good to us again.

footballgal
11-21-2004, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by Unblockability

Tarpons stadium is going to be good to us again.

huh?

PI-fan
11-21-2004, 03:44 AM
Looks like Hallettsville is defensively better than Ingleside, but not as explosive. I expect a lower scoring game than the last one, but with similar results... PI by 10-14pts...

Their schedule is hard to figure:

At 11-1 there only loss to was to Cuero, but by 21pts... the last 4 weeks included 7pt wins over (4-6)Luling and (3-7) Gonzalez :thinking:

PI's secondary has to step it up since quarter one... thing is PIs secondary is there step for step they just need to react better to the receivers/incoming passes. ;)

footballgal
11-21-2004, 10:29 AM
Hey Sinton 66, please do that little anyalical/stats thing you did with the PI/Ingleside game.

Tidal Wave
11-21-2004, 01:14 PM
A lil Article on Hallettsville's best players stats etc

http://www.gonzalesinquirer.com/articles/2004/11/04/news/sports/sports01.txt

CrunkTarpon21
11-21-2004, 02:44 PM
Are there any Hallettsville posters? I haven't seen any. Well, I can't wait until next week. I need to start eating turkey. :D LoL. Then on Friday is back to San Antonio to watch Sinton play against Cuero. Then on Saturday is Port Isabel vs Hallettsville. I can't wait. Peace up, A-Town down.

sinton66
11-21-2004, 03:02 PM
My differential analysis has PI by 3. Halletsville appears strong defensively. They have 3 shutouts and an additional 4 where they allowed only 1 touchdown, then three more where they allowed only two touchdowns. Only allowed more than 14 in two games, Cuero and this last round. PI offense will have to click, but is capable.

gobbler grad
11-21-2004, 03:14 PM
would like to see hallesttville win :clap: , but do believe PI has alot more playoff experience in years past, hallesttville may make mistakes and PI will take advantage of them...take PI by 3 tds.
(same thing that happen to yoakum):(

CrunkTarpon21
11-21-2004, 06:37 PM
I want to see Port Isabel go all the way this year. Three more games to go. Come on Tarpons you all can do it. Peace up, A-Town down.

honeymd
11-22-2004, 06:19 PM
GooooOOOO TARPONS!!!:cheerl: :cheerl: :cheerl:

PurpleHart
11-22-2004, 07:47 PM
Im pulling for ya! I want the boys to get my revenge on last year lol.

footballgal
11-22-2004, 08:26 PM
Purple Hart, be careful what you wish for? :D
But if both teams make it past this week, it will be a great one. :clap: More will be at stake, last year it was the Regional Qtr. finals, but this year it would be for the Region IV Championship.

If this game materializes; again I think it will be a great one; yes you guys are better, but so are we.

PurpleHart
11-23-2004, 02:35 AM
I have no doubt it will be a great game. I really think that PI was the first team that i felt played as a team as hard as us. There were teams that had more talent or more individuals but PI just kept coming on both sides. We gave them all we had last year and they beat us in a close one. I hope this years game will live up to the hype. With a little diff ending of course!!!:D

footballgal
11-23-2004, 08:49 AM
Let's just hope it materializes as I agree, it will be one for the ages.:) :clap:

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-23-2004, 08:53 AM
Agreed. It would definitely have all the makings of a classic a la PI/Rice Consolidated last season.

Footballgal, I'll see you in San Antonio Saturday. Know if anyone is bringing a digital cam? BTW, getting ready for my drive to Houston today, but i'll be able to post while in Houston, maybe I can take in a 3A playoff game in or around the Houston area while i'm there Friday.

footballgal
11-23-2004, 08:57 AM
Hey Buddy! I look forward to seeing you again this year, same place. As for the digital camera, I don't know of anyone that will bring one but, my boss has a real nice one, but I wouldn't want to take and then something happen to it. Because it cost alot of money, it's a professional one. :( I can bring a regualr disposable camera; then get done on CD and upload them that way.

gobblerfan02
11-23-2004, 09:14 AM
Dang, are all the PI fans lookin' past halletsville, if you do, you're gonna be in for a big surprise!

footballgal
11-23-2004, 09:22 AM
No one is looking past Hallettsville; Tarpons know what they have to do to stay alive past this very tough Halletsville team.

Nothing wrong with talking about another possible match-up, calm down.

honeymd
11-23-2004, 09:25 AM
PI doesn't look past anyone. They've been in the playoffs for too many years and are more than aware of what can happen. The fans are just anxious.

BlueBlood
11-23-2004, 10:31 AM
Not a Halletsville poster but I'm sure pulling for them.

CrunkTarpon21
11-23-2004, 11:02 AM
The Tarpon players know not to look past their opponent no matter who it is. The Tarpons know better. We are just anxious to see them play already. That is what Tarpon football is all about. I wish the best of luck to the Tarpons. GO GET A BRAHMA!!! Peace up, A-Town down.

pirate4state
11-23-2004, 12:30 PM
I'm still on the bubble about coming to this game!! We're gonna drive back home after our game, but I have someone I can stay with if I decide to drive back up Saturday morning! :D Either way -- I'll be pulling for the TARPONS!! I really want to watch y'all play, especially since Kool Tarpon & Tidal Wave have been to some of our games. :D

Footballgal -- will you be at the SInton/Cuero game Friday night??

congo
11-23-2004, 02:17 PM
Well thank god the weather finally cleared up today........It had been raining all day for like 4 days straight and now the sun finally popped up here in Central Texas.........Shouldn't effect the PI game either way.....I'll be there to watch the Tarpons play on Saturday and on the way back to my home in Kyle i'll stop by New Braunfels and check out LH play. Both games should be a great one. Hope to see a rematch from last years game.

CrunkTarpon21
11-23-2004, 02:19 PM
Well, the more the merrier. We would love to have you at our game. Of course, if you're sitting on the Port Isabel side. LoL. Nah, jk. Either way. You're more than welcome to attend that game. You know we'll be at the Sinton vs Cuero game. ;) Peace up, A-Town down.

footballgal
11-23-2004, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state

Footballgal -- will you be at the SInton/Cuero game Friday night??

I will be leaving to my parents Friday Morning, my hubby and I were talking about it. He might end up going with my uncle I am not sure. As much as I hate even the thought of staying behind I think I need to stick around my parents, as it is I will not be there all day Saturday, I already feel guilty about that.:(

Originally posted by congo
.....I'll be there to watch the Tarpons play on Saturday...
Hey Congo make sure you're there early for the 3A downlow pix.:)

congo
11-23-2004, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by footballgal
Hey Congo make sure you're there early for the 3A downlow pix.:)

I'll be there but don't know how early........Gotta see if Shaggy is gonna go with me too......I'll probably will be there early so I can visit with my family before the game....I'll finally get to see my lil cuz Joel Martinez play Varsity.....If they put him in again....And lets not forget about my other cousin Johnny Nitro.....Good Luck Tarps

pirate4state
11-23-2004, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by CrunkTarpon21
Well, the more the merrier. We would love to have you at our game. Of course, if you're sitting on the Port Isabel side. LoL. Nah, jk. Either way. You're more than welcome to attend that game. You know we'll be at the Sinton vs Cuero game. ;) Peace up, A-Town down. Of course I'd sit on the PI side, duh! :D :D :D

pirate4state
11-23-2004, 02:57 PM
I will be leaving to my parents Friday Morning, my hubby and I were talking about it. He might end up going with my uncle I am not sure. As much as I hate even the thought of staying behind I think I need to stick around my parents, as it is I will not be there all day Saturday, I already feel guilty about that.:( I understand about family. That is why I am still debating about going to your game. The difference I guess is that it sounds like you won't be with your parents on Thanksgiving Day & I will be with my family that day so it'd make it easier for me to spend Saturday at a football game!! :D :D

P.S. If I go -- I'll take my digital camera for the pic! ;)

CrunkTarpon21
11-23-2004, 03:43 PM
Yeah, I'll be sitting at the Sinton side of course. :D Well, everyone have safe trips while you all travel. Take care. I will probably be back to post if not, until Saturday or Sunday. Happy Thanksgiving! GO TARPONS!!! GO GET A BRAHMA!!! Peace up, A-Town down.

GOOD LUCK TO THE SINTON PIRATES!!!

GOOD LUCK TO THE MARLIN BULLDOGS!!!

GOOD LUCK TO THE LIBERTY HILL PANTHERS!!!

LAST BUT CERTAINLY NOT LEAST,

GOOD LUCK TARPONS!!!

super1
11-23-2004, 04:35 PM
As a former Brahma assistant coach, I've gotta say
"Go Bulls!! Beat the Tarpons!!!"

footballgal
11-23-2004, 07:08 PM
Tarpon time here once again
http://www.brownsvilleherald.com/images/uploads/RoyHess.jpg
Nov. 23, 2004 — The Valley high school football season has come down to fortunes of three teams left in the state playoffs with San Benito and La Joya still alive in Class 5A and Port Isabel marching on in Class 3A.

This week, the Greyhounds, Coyotes and Tarpons face highly regarded upstate opponents. The only one of the three playing in the Valley will be La Joya (10-2), which is at home against state-ranked Converse Judson (12-0) at 6 p.m. Friday. Also Friday, San Benito (12-0) attempts to keep its amazing season going against Smithson Valley (10-2) at 4 p.m. at the Alamodome in San Antonio.

Then it’s PI (11-1) and Hallettsville (11-1) colliding at the Alamo Stadium at 2 p.m. Saturday. The Tarpons, Greyhounds and Coyotes all have a simple goal: They just want to play football in December. That means winning this week. Whether it’s fair or not, we always seem to hold higher expectations for PI in the playoffs than other Valley teams.

San Benito and La Joya are enjoying super seasons that will be talked about for years in their respective communities and around the Valley. While the PI community is just as excited about its team, there is also a definite feeling that reaching the third round of the playoffs is more or less business as usual for the Tarpons even though what they have done so far is quite an accomplishment in itself.

Tarpon quarterback Lando Ochoa probably summed up the thoughts of many PI fans when a few days ago he said, “Being in the third round feels good, but considering that we went to the fifth round (state semifinals) last year, we know we can do better. I have higher hopes now and I’m not content at all. I want to go farther. The third round is just another step.”

Here’s hoping the Tarpons make it to December. Seeing the Coyotes and Greyhounds continue on would be nice, too. Regardless of Saturday’s outcome, PI coach Monty Stumbaugh said his team is playing up to its potential as the challenges get bigger every week.

“These kids have lived up to what we thought they could do and we (coaches) have nothing but faith in them,” Stumbaugh said. “They’ve come along and gotten better and better, and hopefully will continue to get better. Our goal is to play December football. Whatever happens Saturday, I know that these kids have fulfilled everything we’ve asked of them. They play with a lot of heart and character and they’re a joy to coach.

“Everybody’s hoping that we can get there (December),” he added. “To do that, we’ve got to win this next one. All I know is that Saturday our kids will go out and play their tails off. And beyond that, whatever happens, happens.”

44INAROW
11-28-2004, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by congo
Problems??? The only problems PI had were not caused by their defense it was their own mental mistakes......PI stopped themselves and just showed their true colors in the second half and this game should of never been close had they not turned the ball over in their own territory.....I see PI over Hallettsville by at least 14

It's never a factor that they played a good team I guess

dear_whoever
11-28-2004, 02:38 PM
halletsville by 10 is my prediction, and i dont care if they already played, cuz im scared

HBsr
11-28-2004, 05:41 PM
hmm.. seems to me that a few of the posters on this site underestimated us just a tad... port isabel: you guys played a damn good game:) it was sad after the game because I saw one player (number 11 dunno who he was) just pacing around the end zone with his helmet off.. you guys are great and i'm sure will go far next year:)
to the brahmas: you guys never cease to amaze me.. i'm EXTREMELY proud to be in school with each and every one of you:) good luck next week against Liberty Hill.. i know theyre tough but you guys have enough heart to get it done... play your best and I'm sure you guys will keep up the great work:)

*britt*

HB kicks more than just footballs..;);)

HBsr
11-28-2004, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by dear_whoever
halletsville by 10 is my prediction, and i dont care if they already played, cuz im scared

funny that you say that.. exactly what happened:) did anyone realize that we beat PI by the exact same score they beat us by in 79?

*britt*

Old Green
11-28-2004, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by HBsr
funny that you say that.. exactly what happened:) did anyone realize that we beat PI by the exact same score they beat us by in 79?

*britt* I noticed. Welcome to the board HBsr.:clap:

HBsr
11-28-2004, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by Old Green
I noticed. Welcome to the board HBsr.:clap:

gracias:) actually this is a screen name for the whole senior class at hallettsville:) so it could be a different person each time a new post comes up

*britt*

HB kicks more than just footballs;)

Ibleedblue
11-28-2004, 07:44 PM
good luck in 2005; year of the fish!

HBsr
11-28-2004, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by Ibleedblue
good luck in 2005; year of the fish!

not if they get matched up with the brahmas again;)

lol jk

*britt*

ps best of luck to the future tarpons

footballgal
11-28-2004, 10:28 PM
port isabel: you guys played a damn good game:) it was sad after the game because I saw one player (number 11 dunno who he was) just pacing around the end zone with his helmet off.. you guys are great and i'm sure will go far next year:

That would have been our QB Lando Ochoa, I feel bad for the kid, cuz that was a sad way to exit out of high school football, being he is a senior. He helped win alot of games for us this season, but like I said before he is entitled to have a bad game, at one time or another.

HBsr
11-28-2004, 10:35 PM
That would have been our QB Lando Ochoa, I feel bad for the kid, cuz that was a sad way to exit out of high school football, being he is a senior. He helped win alot of games for us this season, but like I said before he is entitled to have a bad game, at one time or another.

yeah it was pretty sad:( made me wanna cry and feel really bad for him

*britt*

CrunkTarpon21
11-28-2004, 10:37 PM
I agree...everyone is entitled to have a bad game. Lando did a great job though. He messed up that game a little bit, but he still did good overall. Congratulations to him on getting District 32-3A MVP. Peace up, A-Town down.

footballgal
11-28-2004, 10:40 PM
Congrats Lando, I figured he would be. Hey Missile how did you get this info? Are the selections out already?

HBsr
11-28-2004, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by CrunkTarpon21
I agree...everyone is entitled to have a bad game. Lando did a great job though. He messed up that game a little bit, but he still did good overall. Congratulations to him on getting District 32-3A MVP. Peace up, A-Town down.

did "the missle" graduate last year?

i remember seeing him at the rice/pi game

*Britt*

footballgal
11-28-2004, 10:42 PM
did "the missle" graduate last year?

i remember seeing him at the rice/pi game

*Britt*

Yes, he did Oh really you where at that great game?

HBsr
11-28-2004, 10:44 PM
Yes, he did Oh really you where at that great game?

yeah i remember wishing it would be over already because i was tired of sitting lol

footballgal
11-28-2004, 10:46 PM
yeah i remember wishing it would be over already because i was tired of sitting lol

LOl,:D I know what you mean, I was physically and emotionally drained after that game. ( and I was just a fan):eek:

HBsr
11-28-2004, 10:49 PM
yeah my cuzin is/was a cheerleader for rice and she was literally bawling all the way home from SA

*britt*

footballgal
11-28-2004, 10:50 PM
Yikes, poor thing, that could have easily been us, the game was just that close, back and forth, back and forth.... well you know you were there.