PDA

View Full Version : The Madison Trojans continue their Cinderella season...

JR2004
11-20-2004, 03:35 AM
I saw that the score was posted on another thread on here and tonight's game was probably the biggest win in the school's history as far as I can tell. I don't know that this was widely publicized, but last week's win over Van Alstyne marked the first win for the James Madison Trojans in the playoffs since 1966 when they were still playing in the PVIL. It's really been 38 years between playoffs victories on the gridiron and before this season, they'd never won a single playoff game since they joined the UIL almost 30 years ago. I talked to a coach tonight after the game when they stopped to eat and he told me that he's almost certain that tonight's win against Mt. Vernon provided a first for James Madison football. He said that next week will be the first time in the school's history that they've ever been in the 3rd round of the playoffs.

They showed something new tonight in that when they got behind, they didn't get frustrated and make dumb mistakes. They could've laid it down when it was 10-3 and Mt. Vernon was driving again inside the Madison 20, but they held them to a missed FG and before ya knew it, Madison had scored the next 32 points in a row before giving up a meaningless TD in the 4th quarter to provide the 35-17 final score. I'm excited for the kids and I hope they get a little bit of attention for their accomplishments because they get next to no publicity for what they're doing right now even though they deserve some. The Dallas news stations and newspapers more/less just ignore the school and treat it like it doesn't even exist. If they can somehow find a way to beat Gilmer next week, then I think a lot of folks will jump on the Trojan bandwagon. I'm really looking forward to seeing if Gilmer will be the first team to score more than 21 points on the Trojan defense. I know the kids and coaches are excited that they're getting a chance to play an undefeated Gilmer team. A win against Gilmer could do wonders for the future of this program and I'm hoping that it happens!!!!

District303aPastPlayer
11-20-2004, 04:33 AM
Who in the blue heck is madison?

LH Panther Mom
11-20-2004, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
Who in the blue heck is madison?

They're the team that beat Mt. Vernon. :D

Ranger Mom
11-20-2004, 08:40 AM
WOW!! Good luck and congrats to Madison!

Gilmer Buckeye
11-20-2004, 09:24 AM
Does anyone know where and when the Gilmer-Madison game will be? I know it won't be Friday night at Rose Stadium as I was hoping because Tatum and Wilmer-Hutchins have already reserved that spot.

Buckeye80
11-20-2004, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by Gilmer Buckeye
Does anyone know where and when the Gilmer-Madison game will be? I know it won't be Friday night at Rose Stadium as I was hoping because Tatum and Wilmer-Hutchins have already reserved that spot.

Hey Buck, this is my (and let me stress the word) GUESS. I would personally lean toward a game in Mesquite. That is the most logical place in my mind, which probably rules it out. :D

Go down to the Gilmer/Spring Hill thread on p. 2 and let's discuss the game.

jason
11-20-2004, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
Who in the blue heck is madison? Dallas Madison.....they were 3a Basketball Champs a few years ago, they're not normally known for football....

3afan
11-20-2004, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by Buckeye80
Hey Buck, this is my (and let me stress the word) GUESS. I would personally lean toward a game in Mesquite. That is the most logical place in my mind, which probably rules it out. :D

Go down to the Gilmer/Spring Hill thread on p. 2 and let's discuss the game.

doubt if it will be in mesquite - no playoffs games so far in mesquite 'cause both stadium have astroturf, not field turf .... williams in garland a possibility, or greenville, or wylie, take your pick ........

rhs78
11-20-2004, 10:47 AM
CONGRATS MADISON,VERY GOOD WIN, GOOD LUCK THIS WEEK.

Titans
11-20-2004, 11:57 AM
Cinderella story? How can a team that gets into the playoffs with an 7-3 record be a longshot? You want longshot, look at Mesquite. Last night they defeated Dallas Carter. Now that's an upset.

Dallas Madison has a quality team this year. They beat SOC, which defeated Wilmer-Hutchins. They aren't a surprise to me at all.

Who is Madison? Well...they are the 2004 Class 3A sprint relay champions. They are the team that is now 3 rounds deep into the playoffs. They....are the Trojans!

This next round could be interesting...closer than expected!

Buckeye80
11-20-2004, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Titans

This next round could be interesting...closer than expected!

I personally don't think so, but then again, I'm probably just being a "homer". :D

Madison has not allowed more than 21 points in a game, and Gilmer hasn't scored fewer than 20. Sounds to me like something has to give.

By the way, what is the general scheme of the Trojan offense? Are we talkin' 80%-20% run or 60%-40% pass or what? Just curious.