PDA

View Full Version : FINAL: Decatur 23, Gainesville 7

Greenbull
11-19-2004, 10:59 PM
A lot closer than the first game...

Da Mules
11-19-2004, 11:02 PM
that's probably the closest game Decatur will have the rest of the year.

Just kiddin' Gobblers
:D

KTJ
11-19-2004, 11:06 PM
Good luck to Decatur the rest of the way!!!

:)

Keith7
11-19-2004, 11:52 PM
Great season Gainesville :clap: :clap:

you guys could have thrown in the white towel after going 2-3 in predistrict but you guys proved that Gainesville never gives up, and you continued to get better every week from then on out.. There is NO shame in losing to the best team in state, and there is NO shame in losing in the 2nd round, there are hundreds of teams in the state that would love to be in your shoes.. I really wish i could have seen one of your games because you sounded like an exciting bunch... Congrats on all you accomplished this season and Lets get'em next year... I BELIEVE IN THE BIG RED!!!!

http://www.gainesvilleisd.com/ghigh/graphics/newleopardhead.gif

Bulldog_12
11-19-2004, 11:53 PM
Congratulations to both Decatur and Gainesville. Good job to G-ville for hanging in there until the end.

Keith7
11-19-2004, 11:55 PM
And for Decatur great game guys.. please be as humble as you were before the game.. I hope to attend your game next weekend to see the "Great Dane" for my own eyes.. good luck on the rest of the road to state, I know from experience it is an exciting one with alot of memorys to be made... Good luck again..

Bigbuck
11-20-2004, 12:22 AM
I give Gainesville credit, they played a heck of a game. Costly turnovers and Decatur's Defense too much to handle. Jeremy Franklin, one heck of player put a hard hit on Decatur's RB Godboldt and knocked him out of the game. Hopefully his knee is okay and he'll be ready for Wylie.

Keith7
11-20-2004, 12:28 AM
Here is a report and the stats from the Dallas Morning news

Decatur - 23

Gainesville - 7
SOUTHLAKE – Chandler Dane threw for 241 yards and scored a touchdown on a quarterback sneak as Decatur (12-0) moved into the Class 3-A Region I Division I regional finals.
Dane, a 69.6% passer entering game, and his best buddy/receiver Brian Christian, have been the story of Decatur's undefeated season so far, that included a 58-23 torching of Gainesville in week 2. But Decatur's defense was the prime story this night. Jerrod Spence and Jonathan Jones led a defense that contained Gainesville's offense, holding them 26 points below their season average.
Decatur recovered three fumbles in the first half. Eddie Gonzales' recovery set up a five-yard run by Devin Godboldt for the first score of the game. Jadye Kee recovered a fumble on Gainesville's next possession setting up the first of three field goals by Ryan Spence.
By the time Terrius Purvey scored with four minutes left in the half, Decatur had increased their lead to 17-0.
Gainesville's defense did a solid job against Dane, who entered the game with 47 touchdown passes and only one interception. Gainesville's Yusef Stevenson made that two, with his interception mid-way through the second quarter. Overall, Gainesville held Decatur to 292 yards of total offense.
The omens for Gainesville were not good. A wreck on I-35 made it tough for their crowd to make the kickoff on time. And there was some confusion about which team was going to sit and park on the home side. Both teams wore their home jerseys. By the time most Gainesville fans made it into their seats, their team had already made a couple of mistakes that allowed Decatur to take the early lead.
Gainesville 0 7 0 0 -- 7
Decatur 10 10 3 0 -- 23
DEC - Devin Godboldt 5 run (Ryan Spence kick)
DEC - Spence 44 FG
DEC - Chandler Dane 1 run ( Spence kick)
GAI - Terrius Purvey 11 run (Steven Arenas kick)
DEC - Spence 20 FG
DEC - Spence 26 FG
Statistic GAI DEC
First downs 15 17
Rushing yards 41-143 27-51
Passing yards 70 241
Comp-att-int 10-19-0 14-28-1
Punts-avg 5-37.2 4-35.5
Penalties-yards 4-35 4-41
Fumbles-lost 3-3 1-0
INDIVIDUAL LEADERS
Rushing – GAI: Travis Sutton 18-66, Terrius Purvey 15-44, Jerome Hewitt 6-25, Michael Miller 1-6, Da'Ron Calhoun 1-2. DEC: Dean Bible 10-34, Devin Godboldt 7-27, Brian Christian 1-7, Eddie Gonzales 1-0, Chandler Dane 8-(-17).
Passing – GAI: Travis Sutton 9-18-0-65, Phillip Culbertson 1-1-0-5. DEC: Chandler Dane 14-28-1-241.
Receiving – GAI: Da'Ron Calhoun 4-46, Jerome Hewitt 3-9, Yusef Stevenson 1-7, Kevin Phillips 1-5, Terrius Purvey 1-3. DEC: Brian Christian 4-92, Michael Simmons 4-51, Devin Godboldt 1-48, Jonathan Jones 4-31, Brandon Cobb 1-19.

-----------------------

wow only 44 yards for Terrius.. thats a big accomlishment.. Decatur must have a VERY speedy Defense

Bigbuck
11-20-2004, 12:34 AM
Yeah Decatur's Defense is very solid, they don't get alot of recognition because of an all-state qb and wr. They can get after you and frustrate an offense.

Chief Woodman
11-20-2004, 12:35 AM
I'll post a more complete report sometime before Tuesday. For tonight let me say that the Gainesville Leps have nothing to be ashamed of. Great effort by them and your fans should be proud of you.

The surprise of the game to me was how tenacious both "D" 's were. Gainesville holds Decatur 2 times in the red zone for field goals instead af TD'S. That is some kind of effort by the Leps. Not to be outdone, the Decatur "D" held a very potent "O" to just 7 points including a goal line stance. They held a healthy Purvey to under 50 yards. I would have never guessed that could happen. Great job by both teams. Too bad one had to end a season tonight.

Chief Woodman
11-20-2004, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by Keith7

wow only 44 yards for Terrius.. thats a big accomlishment.. Decatur must have a VERY speedy Defense

I told everyone that Decatur proved they had more speed on "D" as a team than the Leps have on "O" during game 1 in September. Honestly, I was NOT being a homer. Purvey is fast, but not fast enough to get the corner with the great team speed of the Decatur "D". If you come to any games give me a PM Keith- I'd like to meet ya.

gobblerfan02
11-20-2004, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by Da Mules
that's probably the closest game Decatur will have the rest of the year.

Just kiddin' Gobblers
:D

Great win for the Eagles!!!...lol, good one mules, but it would be great to see if the gobblers would be able to match up against the eagles!!!, but they hafta get past wimberley and then sinton(rematch), and then the unknown out of Reg. III(toss-up in my mind), but we can't look ahead now can we. Take one week at a time and one week only, december will get here and take care of itself!

Good luck to everyone playin on saturday, and hope ya'll stay injury free!

Keith7
11-20-2004, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by Chief Woodman
If you come to any games give me a PM Keith- I'd like to meet ya.

I plan on being at yalls game next week.. but it really depends on the distance and family.. I dont wanna drive too far.. and i might have to visit family that day so we'll see.. i'll let you know for sure when i find out all the details though..

Chief Woodman
11-20-2004, 12:55 AM
Hey Keith,

If my wife does not want to go to the next game and the weather is good I could fly up to Gainesville and pick you up. Fly down to the game then fly you back home. Much, much faster. I just have to get someone to pick us up at the airport.

Keith7
11-20-2004, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by Chief Woodman
Hey Keith,

If my wife does not want to go to the next game and the weather is good I could fly up to Gainesville and pick you up. Fly down to the game then fly you back home. Much, much faster. I just have to get someone to pick us up at the airport.

that'd be awesome.. Let me know if your wife is goin and i'll find out from my mom about the family business and we can work things out from there

tmac
11-20-2004, 02:18 AM
Originally posted by gobblerfan02
Great win for the Eagles!!!...lol, good one mules, but it would be great to see if the gobblers would be able to match up against the eagles!!!, but they hafta get past wimberley and then sinton(rematch), and then the unknown out of Reg. III(toss-up in my mind), but we can't look ahead now can we. Take one week at a time and one week only, december will get here and take care of itself!

Good luck to everyone playin on saturday, and hope ya'll stay injury free!

godboldt is a warrior maybe not back to 100 % 4 next week tho

Z motion 10 out on 2
11-20-2004, 03:42 AM
Great game. Defense played well for both teams. player of the game in my mind is Jerrod Spence for Decatur. purvey just could not shake this guy. He didnt miss a tackle all night.

Bullaholic
11-20-2004, 06:56 AM
Congrats to a really great Decatur team for a hard-fought victory over a proud Gainesville team. They proved yet another week why they are ranked as one of the 2 best, if not the best, 3A teams in the state, and this Bulls fan sincerely wishes the Eagles the very best in their quest for the D1 state title. Gainesville made a really good year out of a season in which, very early, some doubted would even be a playoff season. They can be very proud of their efforts and their year. It was a real pleasure to have been able to meet Chief Woodman, Z Motion, and a couple of other 3ADL members at the game(sorry I don't remember all of your user names). Nice guys all, as I knew they would be, and I look forward to seeing all of them, and hopefully some more 3ADL members at some of the upcoming playoff games.

CRHSeagle
11-20-2004, 11:11 AM
Good game by both teams. Bullaholic it was me and gbizzle_9lion u met.

Bullaholic
11-20-2004, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by CRHSeagle
Good game by both teams. Bullaholic it was me and gbizzle_9lion u met.

Thanks for the refresher CRHSeagle, you may have a case in my forgetting your user name---but "gbizzle", now that's maybe understandable. Nice to see a couple young guys like you out following these games. Have fun, and be careful wherever you go. Nice to see you.

Keith7
11-20-2004, 04:37 PM
Here are a few pictures from the Dallas Morning News

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/highschools/slideshows/football/2004/week2p/images/NS_19Joneswatches.jpg http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/highschools/slideshows/football/2004/week2p/images/NS_19Daneruns.jpg

Chief Woodman
11-21-2004, 08:53 PM
WOW! That bottom pic is scary. Look at how the bottom defender is using poor form. Lucky he does not get a broken neck.