PDA

View Full Version : Your home town still in the playoffs

Gsquared
11-19-2004, 10:40 AM
I was driving thru downtown of the town that I grew up in and graduated HS in and they are stilll in the playoffs and play tonight. As I drove thru, I saw all these black and gold streamers all over every light pole in town. Windows were painted and everything. People there are excited and fired up. My question is, who else lives in a town who is still playing and everything is decorated downtown and everyone is pumped? Kinda cool to see home that way.

District303aPastPlayer
11-19-2004, 10:51 AM
EXPERIENCE PIRATE NATION

TONIGHT, IN CORPUS

Junkyard
11-19-2004, 10:56 AM
Unfortunatley Jasper does not get into the playoffs like that. There are a good following of fans but the entire town just doesnt get in to it like that and it is a shame there really isnt a since of town pride like that.

But it is not just about football, I have noticed other small towns have yellow ribbons and memorials and other tributes for their hometown soldiers off fighting for our country but Jasper doesnt do anything like that either.

It is a real shame.

NSUTrumpet08
11-19-2004, 10:57 AM
Yeah...of course Jasper is still in the playoffs and i hope they continue to be. Although i haven't been home in over a month and from what i've seen in the past, i don't think they have done stuff like that. Maybe here and there but not the whole downtown. People always assume Jasper will be in the playoffs so it doesn't quite have the same umph like it used to back in the early to mid 90s. Now that was exciting stuff!

Good luck tonight Dawgs!
:)

Gsquared
11-19-2004, 11:04 AM
I can see why in Jasper, they have high expectations and expect to be there. Jasper is rapidly becoming one of my favorite football towns along with Newton and Brownwood. Dont know why those three places get to me like that, they just do.

tmac
11-19-2004, 11:04 AM
Decatur has a pretty good excitement goin right now

big daddy russ
11-19-2004, 11:06 AM
If you have a DQ, you get dressed up. It's as simple as that. Ingleside has a Dairy Queen, and they're still in the playoffs.

Junkyard
11-19-2004, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by Gsquared
I can see why in Jasper, they have high expectations and expect to be there. Jasper is rapidly becoming one of my favorite football towns along with Newton and Brownwood. Dont know why those three places get to me like that, they just do.

There is nothing wrong with expecting to be in the playoffs, infact expecting to be in the playoffs is a good thing, but I still think the town should show a little more excitment so the kids can see that they are affecting the town in a positive way.

Just my opinion.

District303aPastPlayer
11-19-2004, 11:07 AM
HEB and Whataburger are the only things left open in Sinton during games . . .

turbostud
Portland is decorated quite a bit. Of course they are the #1 ranked team in 4a. If they play Calallen again for the Reg championship I am sure the whole town will be red and blue.

District303aPastPlayer
Originally posted by turbostud
Portland is decorated quite a bit. Of course they are the #1 ranked team in 4a. If they play Calallen again for the Reg championship I sure the whole town will be red and blue.

im thinkin that it will be more than just those 2 towns bein red and blue (gregory and portland) . . .

turbostud
11-19-2004, 11:11 AM
I was in the HEB in Portland this morning and they got a photo album of the players and games that you can look at. That town is really into their team.

gobblerfan02
11-19-2004, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by Junkyard
There is nothing wrong with expecting to be in the playoffs, infact expecting to be in the playoffs is a good thing, but I still think the town should show a little more excitment so the kids can see that they are affecting the town in a positive way.

Just my opinion.

Come to Cuero, you'll see the whole town, not just downtown decorated!!! Everybody is into the team, and we expect a record crowd @ seguin tomorrow afternoon, so everybody come on out if you want to watch some good smash mouth football!

dawgmom
11-19-2004, 11:15 AM
I have to agree with you Junkyard. There are a few businesses with good wishes on their signs, but very few. You would think everyone would be willing to show their support of something positive. I mean, it doesn't take much to put a sign in your window, hang a ribbon, GO TO THE PEP RALLY AND PARTICIPATE! I really get aggravated when I go to the pep rally or game, and here are all these adults, parents, SITTING QUIETLY! IT IS A FOOTBALL GAME! GET UP AND YELL!
Okay, I will get off my soapbox now.

Junkyard
11-19-2004, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by dawgmom
I have to agree with you Junkyard. There are a few businesses with good wishes on their signs, but very few. You would think everyone would be willing to show their support of something positive. I mean, it doesn't take much to put a sign in your window, hang a ribbon, GO TO THE PEP RALLY AND PARTICIPATE! I really get aggravated when I go to the pep rally or game, and here are all these adults, parents, SITTING QUIETLY! IT IS A FOOTBALL GAME! GET UP AND YELL!
Okay, I will get off my soapbox now.

No way MOM get back on that box and maybe the town will listen.

CHSBaseball07
11-19-2004, 11:19 AM
caldwells still in

RiverRat19
11-19-2004, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by gobblerfan02
Come to Cuero, you'll see the whole town, not just downtown decorated!!! Everybody is into the team, and we expect a record crowd @ seguin tomorrow afternoon, so everybody come on out if you want to watch some good smash mouth football!

If you are going through Cuero between 3pm and 8pm, don't expect to find much to eat other than fast foods. I had heard all about the good BBQ place on the south end of town and wanted to eat there one friday evening last year... on a friday, with a home game. There was nobody in sight there- I was bent. I went there this spring and it was pretty dang good......

My hometown missed the playoffs b/c their 2 studs got thrown out in game #9 (which they lost) and were suspended for game #10 and they lost that game too- out of the playoffs.... Oh, well. They are state ranked in hoops so I guess they wanted to get to that season faster.... Things have been downhill over there since I left town..... :mad: :mad: :mad:

dawgmom
11-19-2004, 11:36 AM
I love it when a town is like that! Like the sign out of West Orange used to say (don't know if it is still there). Last one out of town, turn out the lights! Thats how it should be!

big daddy russ
11-19-2004, 11:37 AM
Hey river rat, where are you from?

AggieJohn
11-19-2004, 11:37 AM
it's november 20 and liberty is still in the playoffs.

CHS_Grad '85
11-19-2004, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by CHSBaseball07
caldwells still in
And we had a community wide pep rally last night in the gym... & the business' in town have changed their marqees to show their support - some have even painted the windows... it's really good to see the town supporting this team...

FIRE UP HORNETS!!!!

RiverRat19
11-19-2004, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Hey river rat, where are you from?

You got a PM.... I like my privacy :cool:

Gsquared
11-19-2004, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by CHS_Grad '85
And we had a community wide pep rally last night in the gym... & the business' in town have changed their marqees to show their support - some have even painted the windows... it's really good to see the town supporting this team...

FIRE UP HORNETS!!!!
Thats pretty cool!

eagleman
11-19-2004, 01:51 PM
Spirit is alive in Eagletown (Canyon). Displayed in the signs along the highway on the way to Perryton a couple of weeks ago and Lubbock tonight. Town bleeds purple. Excitement spilling over as lots of Amarillo folks going to tonight's big one.

NSUTrumpet08
11-19-2004, 02:18 PM
I agree with dawgmom...i guess since it's almost expected we make the playoffs, the town doesn't quite get involved. Sure, there are the die-hard fans that support the team no matter what. I was surprised last year at how few supporters there were during pep-rallies even though we were in the 2nd or 3rd round of the playoffs.

Although i was in the band, i still supported our team. A great football is when everyone gets involved and fired up.

Yeah...i made another signature...i must be really bored at college! hopefully ya'll can see it better this time!