11-19-2004, 02:07 AM
Just Region I, right?

DI
Offense- Decatur
Defense- Gainesville

D2
Offense- Royse City
Defense- Iowa Park

The way Gainesville's playing RIGHT NOW, I'd have to say their defense might be the best in the state. Tough to pick Royse City over Sweetwater and Mount Vernon, but I still think they're the tougher offense. Iowa Park's D got it done in what I consider the toughest district in the state.

Macarthur
11-19-2004, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Just Region I, right?

DI
Offense- Decatur
Defense- Gainesville

D2
Offense- Royse City
Defense- Iowa Park

The way Gainesville's playing RIGHT NOW, I'd have to say their defense might be the best in the state. Tough to pick Royse City over Sweetwater and Mount Vernon, but I still think they're the tougher offense. Iowa Park's D got it done in what I consider the toughest district in the state.

Russ, IP's D has overachieved this year. However, their offense is with out question what will carry them if they have a long run in the playoffs.

Black_Magic
11-19-2004, 11:23 AM
Im going to go with the Swiss Chees D Line of Clyde.... Joke.. I think we wait for the all state selections.:thumbsup:

big daddy russ
11-19-2004, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by Macarthur
Russ, IP's D has overachieved this year. However, their offense is with out question what will carry them if they have a long run in the playoffs. I haven't seen any of these teams play personally, I just have friends in some of the areas. You have a better idea than I would. One of my buddies from Graham was saying that IP was legit this year... that they were only allowing like 10 points per game... and in that district I just figured that it was outstanding.

Macarthur
11-19-2004, 11:42 AM
I haven't seen any of these teams play personally, I just have friends in some of the areas. You have a better idea than I would. One of my buddies from Graham was saying that IP was legit this year... that they were only allowing like 10 points per game... and in that district I just figured that it was outstanding.

It is outstanding, and I agree with you about that district. It's certainly one of if not the toughest.

Some of the games have been a bit misleading from a defensive standpoint. What I mean is that the offense has been really good and gotten leads on teams. Those teams have then had to take some chances and throw the ball around, and that really does play into IP's strength. I posted on another thread that I think IP has the best secondary in 3a. Obviously, I haven't seen eveyone in 3a, but they have really good athletes in the secondary and their LB's run really well so when teams get desperate, they become very oportunistic. For example, the one loss was to a power running team in Vernon. Vernon did not panic when IP got up on them and they stuck to running the ball and won a close one at the buzzer on a FG. By contrast, Breck is pretty capable of throwing the ball around. IP's defense shut them out, and when GRaham got away from their run game and had to throw, IP just ate them up.

So, I guess in summary they are really fast and opportunistic. If you try to finess them with passing, and especially run a spread type of offense, you play into their biggest strength which is their athleticism in their LB & DB corps. The one area they have some weakness is against a power running team. If you can slow down IP's offense and you have a good power running game, you have a good chance to knock them off. However, if I'm not mistaken, I don't think there are many teams in region 1 that fit that mold. I could be wrong about that.

big daddy russ
11-19-2004, 12:13 PM
I actually had IP playing in the title game this year on bracketmaker. That district hardened them for the playoffs.

Macarthur
11-19-2004, 12:22 PM
I actually had IP playing in the title game this year on bracketmaker. That district hardened them for the playoffs.

I sure hope you are right, man. Not only is their district tough, they played 3 4A teams in pre-district. Plus, their two scrimmages were against Decatur and Holliday so they really have only played one "soft" team in Hirschi.

eagleman
11-19-2004, 12:30 PM
gotta through Canyon in the mix for best Def D1. Outside of a turnover on their own 15 against Levelland and their own 32 against Perryton they gave up only one TD drive is last 5 games!