PDA

View Full Version : KTJ's Big 12 Power Rankings - Week 13

KTJ
11-18-2004, 07:45 PM
1. Oklahoma - Slowly slipping out of contention for the National Championship.
2. Texas - Has a bye week to prepare for A&M...Most likely, we're going to the Cotton Bowl, yet again.
3. Texas A&M - Has a bye week to prepare for Texas. Can go to the Cotton Bowl with a win next week.
4. Oklahoma State - Has a bye week as well. Will have their hands full at Tech next week.
5. Iowa State - Who would've thought they could possibly win the North???
6. Colorado - The only team in the North who is bowl eligible.
7. Texas Tech - Tech is better than this. Leach needs a win over Okie State.
8. Nebraska - After the squabble with the OU fans, Callahan better watch out...
9. Kansas State - First losing season in 12 years.
10. Mizzou - A disappointing season for Gary Pinkle. But his name keeps popping up for the UDub job.
11. Kansas - Mangino needs to keep his mouth shut. They will be better next year.
12. Baylor - Watch for Guy Morriss to pull out all the tricks against OU on Saturday.

Ranger05
11-18-2004, 08:27 PM
acutually UT is in contention for a bcs bowl

PPHSfan
11-18-2004, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by Ranger05

The top six do not get automatic bids if two different teams from the same conference are in the top six. I know, it does not seem fair, but Texas could easily finish in the top 5 and not get an invite.

Ranger05
11-18-2004, 08:33 PM
yea i sort of figured they would because i doubt they are gonna give it to utah

D. R. Hooks
11-18-2004, 09:39 PM
Good rankings KTJ, I would say teams 1-5 should be Big 12 South schools:

I would move up TT as they would probably beat CU and are much better than ISU. Do you really think ISU could hang with TT? ISU's only Big 12 South win was 31-30 over Baylor.

TT is also 3-0 against the Big 12 North this year, though that isn't saying much.

And TT was also ranked #25 in the coaches poll last week, and are #27 this week.

sahen
11-18-2004, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by D. R. Hooks
ISU's only Big 12 South win was 31-30 over Baylor.

not to be a smartarse, but it was 26-25...they scored a TD in the final minute to win it....it is kinda sickening that iowa st. can be in contention for the big 12 north title...the difference between the north and south is crazy this year...

lobo12
11-18-2004, 09:57 PM
tech is alot better than their record shows, and i think they are better than colorado and iowa state

D. R. Hooks
11-18-2004, 10:24 PM
not to be a smartarse, but it was 26-25

you're right. I had the TT/KU score in my head.

KTJ
11-18-2004, 10:29 PM

I go to school here so yeah, I knew that. But the probability of us going to the Fiesta Bowl gets slimmer everyday. Trust me, I know this. And you would to if you've been paying attention to the news lately. (I know that came off as sounding mean, but it's not supposed to be. :))

I don't have Tech ranked above ISU or Colorado simply because ISU and CU could possibly win the North Division of the Big 12. You have to give them some love for that. Tech has a lot of talent but went 0-2 against their in-state rivals. They usually win one of those games. So trust me when I say, yes, I know they are better than their record shows. But with key injuries to their roster, and not playing up to their potential level, I had to put them at 7th. They have a chance to go to the Holiday or Alamo Bowl, but they could also very well end up at the Independence Bowl.

FormerBellvilleBrahma
11-18-2004, 10:29 PM
If the Aggies win were will the Horns end up, the Mack Brown Toilet bowl?

KTJ
11-18-2004, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by FormerBellvilleBrahma

Hmm, I don't know if that was a shot at Mack and the UT program or just a joke gone awry.

But if A&M beats us, then they are most likely going to either the Cotton Bowl or the Holiday Bowl.

Macarthur
11-18-2004, 10:33 PM

HOliday

caldwell
11-18-2004, 10:39 PM
Boomer Sooner

Keith7
11-18-2004, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by Macarthur
HOliday

YAY! san diego

Bellville22
11-18-2004, 11:18 PM

Contention, yes. But a very slim chance. Utah gets the bid over Texas because a non-BCS conference team in the top 6 goes over a BCS conference team who has another team ahead of them. So Texas and Cal will battle for the final at-large. Right now, Cal would almost certainly get the nod over Texas.

This, of course, is assuming that there are no major upsets in the top teams, which is certainly no guarantee, this being college football!

But most likely: Winner UT/A&M=Cotton, Loser=Holiday

big daddy russ
11-19-2004, 01:41 AM
Originally posted by Bellville22
... So Texas and Cal will battle for the final at-large. Right now, Cal would almost certainly get the nod over Texas...
As it stands right now, the Rose Bowl has the first at-large pick because USC is ranked #1 and the Fiesta has the second pick because Oklahoma is ranked #2. Traditionally, the Rose Bowl picks up the Pac-10 champ and the Big Ten champ and the Fiesta takes the Big East and the Big XII. Since USC is in the championship, the Grandaddy would want Cal and it's starting to look like the Fiesta would want Utah over Texas. Utah would draw more fans to the game.

Now if Auburn slips in to the Orange Bowl, UT's chances of a BCS Bowl go way down. They aren't nonexistant, but it pushes the at-large berth from the Fiesta to the Sugar Bowl and Utah would probably move up a little in the standings.

Bellville22
11-19-2004, 01:45 AM
Not a matter of wanting Utah over Texas, Utah automatically gets the bid. BCS rules state that a non-BCS conf. team in the top 6 automatically gets the nod over a BCS conference team that is not the top BCS ranking in its conference. Should Utah stay in the top 6, there's ultimately only one true "at large" bid, and it's looking like Cal.

TheDOCTORdre
11-19-2004, 01:50 AM
Alas my friends there is no need to worry if you are a Texas fan because I am telling you there will be an upset this weekend, I am not sure who but it will either be Stanford over Cal or Brigham Young over Utah. Now ya'll are probably saying Doctor you've gone crazy, but these are both big rivalry games and anything can happen.

KL3
11-19-2004, 01:50 AM
Yes, the winner of the A&M/UT game goes Cotton. If A&M loses, they will go Holiday. If Texas loses, either Holiday or Alamo.

big daddy russ
11-19-2004, 01:54 AM
Originally posted by Bellville22
Not a matter of wanting Utah over Texas, Utah automatically gets the bid. BCS rules state that a non-BCS conf. team in the top 6 automatically gets the nod over a BCS conference team that is not the top BCS ranking in its conference. Should Utah stay in the top 6, there's ultimately only one true "at large" bid, and it's looking like Cal. Utah still has to maintain their top-six ranking and that gets tougher with each teams' upcoming games. UT has their final game vs. A&M while Utah plays BYU. That strength of schedule plays into the voters minds. If Utah does finish number seven, then the Fiesta has to choose.

With a team like Utah that's a mid-major and has a one-shot, once in a lifetime deal, the fans go crazy and start following their team to the ends of the Earth. That's what they're looking at right now and that's why ESPN and a lot of the major networks are reporting that Utah's fan base is factoring into the decision. For UT, this is just another year. A one-loss season isn't special for their fan base unless they're in the National Championship. A program that strong almost spoils the fans. On the other hand, UT might bring more revenue from souvenirs and memorabilia and such, just because they're more widely recognized.

But for real, would you rather see UT vs. Boston College or Utah vs. BC? UT would squash the Eagles.

KTJ
11-19-2004, 10:13 AM
russ--

There is NO WAY that Utah would bring more fans than TEXAS. The Fiesta has already stated they want Texas but if they have to take Utah, then so be it. (stupid BCS) The money that UT fans would bring to Tempe would be crazy. The Fiesta has wanted Texas for several years now because of our numerous fan base and they know we travel well. In all honestly, a Utah vs. Boston College matchup would be extra boring and who would want to watch that game? I'd rather see Utah vs. Louisville in the Liberty Bowl. And if Utah finishes 7th while Texas is in the Top 6, then their BCS hopes are done--the Fiesta would take Texas in a heartbeat. They have already stated this as well.

Come to think of it, any team from the Big East would get smashed by any other team. BC or West Virginia.

big daddy russ
11-19-2004, 11:27 AM
KTJ, I agree with you that the Big East sucks... it shouldn't be a BCS conference anymore. I'd rather see C-USA in there than the Big East.

There's a couple of articles I read last week talking about the Utah/UT debacle. I'll see if I can't find them for you.

KTJ
11-19-2004, 11:44 AM
russ...

maybe we can band together and start the "we want the big east to not get an automatic bcs bowl bid because they suck" petition.

i think it'd work. :D

big daddy russ
11-19-2004, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by KTJ
russ...

maybe we can band together and start the "we want the big east to not get an automatic bcs bowl bid because they suck" petition.

i think it'd work. :D
LOL. We can picket at Indiana in front of Myles Brand's office.

AggieJohn
11-19-2004, 11:48 AM
hey bud, calm down and spell "where" right next time