PDA

View Full Version : Aggie Memorial was just what it should of been

AggieJohn
11-18-2004, 05:30 PM
it started with dr. gates welcoming everyone in..... the place had at least 10000 on hand, then it followed byt thei singing of our national anthem and then TExas our Texas, then Mr. Mathhtew Josefy, who was the SBP when the bonfire collapsed led the invocation. After that The honorable rick perry came to the stand to tell of his days building bonfire and how it should return and how we should remember it. Mr. Jerry Ebanks, who represented the 12 fallen aggies then spoke and was very moving, followed by Mr. Chip Theil who represented the wounded aggies still living, he wanted us to remember what a day was building bonfire and created a very vivid image if you ask me.After the Commbined choirs and bands played a song called "future hope," one regents of the A&M System presented the memorial to Gates, which he graciously accepted, the ceremony was concluded by Jackson Hildebrand, the current SBP speaking and then the whole crowd sung the "sprit of aggieland" followed by the parents going to the site.......

very moving day...

shellman54
11-18-2004, 05:32 PM
Any chance of bringing back the bonfire?

Bulldog_12
11-18-2004, 05:33 PM
No idea on that. But Gov. Perry did mention that he would like to see them happen again. I personally think that they should bring them back. But thats just me. Great dedication service though. There was easily 10-20 thousand people there if not more.

onfirebball05mustang
11-18-2004, 05:46 PM
:clap:
i'm glad it went well!

AggieJohn
11-18-2004, 06:09 PM
prolly not, there is an outside chance..but we'll see what happens

gobblerfan02
11-18-2004, 06:15 PM
I hope they bring it back, but should be more cautious during the building, which they would be. But it will probly be awhile before we see another lit up sky in college station. Tradition is what they do best!

AggieJohn
11-18-2004, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by gobblerfan02
I hope they bring it back, but should be more cautious during the building, which they would be. But it will probly be awhile before we see another lit up sky in college station. Tradition is what they do best!

i just don't like it when people say that their were drunks up there and that was what caused it to collapse...

that rational disturbs me and offends me at the same time

they took every safety precaution imaginable to make sure students were okay, the centerpole broke, period it wasn't sturdy enough, they were taking everything into account....

gobblerfan02
11-18-2004, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
i just don't like it when people say that their were drunks up there and that was what caused it to collapse...

that rational disturbs me and offends me at the same time

they took every safety precaution imaginable to make sure students were okay, the centerpole broke, period it wasn't sturdy enough, they were taking everything into account....

I never said anything about anyone being drunk. One of my best friends was there building just hours before it collapsed. She told me that they had taken good safety measures. I just think they should make more precautions when necessary!

AggieJohn
11-18-2004, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by gobblerfan02
I never said anything about anyone being drunk. One of my best friends was there building just hours before it collapsed. She told me that they had taken good safety measures. I just think they should make more precautions when necessary!

no man, don't think im accusing you, that's just a generalization by many of the students who know nothing about the university at all

Panther Ross
11-18-2004, 07:06 PM
I'm watching it on the news right now.

big daddy russ
11-18-2004, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by shellman54
Any chance of bringing back the bonfire? President Gates basically wants it to fade away. It was good to hear Governor Perry and the kid who was wounded in the tragedy both say that they hope it comes back. When they took the bonfire away, the traditions at A&M started to die. I've actually heard kids talk about how dorky saying Howdy is... it just isn't the same.

Bulldog_12
11-18-2004, 09:57 PM
Good point Russ. You have no idea how true your statement is. No one honors the traditions anymore. Howdy has become stupid, yells are dorky and take away from the game, and I have actually seen where people have ridden their bikes through the grass at the MSC. For those that don't know, you don't walk on the grass at the M.S.C. (Memorial Student Center) because it is respectful to the former students that have passed away. There is no love for the traditions and it is truly saddening. Thats one of the big reasons I came here. I loved how rich in tradition this school was, and now its as if no one cares for them anymore. It really is a shame.

FormerBellvilleBrahma
11-18-2004, 10:13 PM
Not being a aggie fan, I think they sould bring it back, but get some contractors to build it for them.

spiveyrat
11-19-2004, 08:09 AM
Here's a good look at the memorial from start to finish. (http://bonfirememorial.tamu.edu/)

bmbf_06
11-19-2004, 09:45 AM
i really wish i could see it....i hope they can start the bonfire again--i have never gotten to see it in person