PDA

View Full Version : Iowa Park vs. Bridgeport

GreenMonster
11-18-2004, 01:49 AM
I just thought it was time to bring this back up as we are getting closer and closer to kick-off 6pm Saturday in Pioneer Stadium at Saginaw Boswell HS just outside of Ft. Worth. Haven't heard much from the Bridgeport posters this week and I'd like to hear some of the thoughts that you guys have on this one. I respect your opinions from previous posts and am interested in having a nice conversation with you guys about your Bulls. By the way, I voted for Coach Danny Henson in the 3A Coach of the Year Poll because I feel he is deserving for the tremendous coaching job he has done this season making his team better each and every week.

Bullaholic
11-18-2004, 07:16 AM
Green Monster.....The Hawks will be the heavy favorite in this one.... 10-1 vs 4-7 tells us that. I know that the Hawks run a multiple set offense with great effectiveness and have a pretty stingy defense. IP is a very, very, good team this year with many picking you to go all the way to state in D2. The Bulls are young and have really matured over the last few weeks. When we started this season, I frankly wasn't sure we were going to win a single game. Since that time, Coach Henson has made numerous personnel changes, especially on defense and we have a few players back who we had lost to injury and grades. The boys have made tremendous strides on both sides of the ball both in execution and maturity. The Bull "O' has been practically legendary for over 11 years now, thanks to the genius of Coach Henson, and this year, we still run the spread on offense, featuring one of the best break-away running backs in 3A, Colin Jones, and we still throw very effectively. If the Bull "D" can put together 4 quarters of good defense without yielding the big play, this game could get very interesting in a hurry. Best of Luck to the Hawks for a clean, hard-fought, injury-free, playoff game. See you in Saginaw----and remember---Los Toros are coming!

GreenMonster
11-18-2004, 09:51 AM
Fantastic!!! It does look like a lopsided win for IP on paper I agree, but I also know how competetive that program is down there and I really figured that the record was an anomolie. As for my Hawks we run a very multiple Wing-T offense. Same coaches that we've had for the last several years, but the kids just seem to be able to remember all the different plays this year. We will line up in a traditional wing formation, a double wing formation, a single-wing formation, a spread formation (a version that is still based off of the wing with lots of misdirection and lots of motion), and a no backs formation. I've also seen a Straight T, with and without shotgun, as well as a couple of other formations that I can't even name because they are rather unique. We will run all of the traditional wing plays out of just about any formation. We basically try to confuse the defense on multiple fronts. Our QB is a ballhandling magician so we will try to confuse you with the traditional wing t where's the football as well as try to confuse you with our many sets and formations. Defensively we run a 3-5-3. The secondary is very quick and very wylie. They just seem to know where the ball is going before the QB can get his pass off. The secondary will go for the INT in most cases instead of the sure tackle. The corners totally trust the Safety to run down anyone that gets past them. So far he's only been beaten once, A kid from Vernon got behind everyone and just did beat the safety to the endzone. The 5 linebackers are very good tacklers and have become very good at separating the football from the ball carrier. Just ask Bowie. They had only 9 fumbles going into last week's game and IP forced 7 more. :eek: Our weakness is the D-Line. The only size we have starts on the O-line and plays sparingly on D. When the small D-line is in the game we can be pushed around. That's my description of the Hawks. I'd like to hear more about the Bulls.

Macarthur
11-18-2004, 10:24 AM
As a Hawk fan, this game scares me very much. The Bulls have, IMO, the most complete RB in 3A (speed, power, balance). They can score some points. My biggest fear is that this becomes a shoot out. In those types of games, anything can happen.

Having said that, the Bulls had better hope that they can run the ball effectively. If you get behind IP and have to throw, you play into IP's strength. I think IP has the best secondary in all of 3A. They have very good athletes in the secondary about 6 deep and they are all ball hawks (ha ha). Monster is right in that our main weakness is size on the DL. We have had difficulty with power running teams this year. However, at 10-1, we haven't had too much trouble.

I don't think B-port's D can shut down IP. I think their hope is that it is a shoot out and gets wild in the 4th quarter. If the Hawks can get 2 or 3 early TD's, they are very difficult to beat because their defensive quickness then comes into play and they start flying around and forcing mistakes by the offense.

I think this is going to be a really good game.

Z motion 10 out on 2
11-18-2004, 01:30 PM
Great analysis. Although I don't think this one will be that close. I suspect that it will be similar to the Bowie game. Not to say that it will be a shut out, but I think IP will flex its muscle again this week.

Macarthur
11-18-2004, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by Z motion 10 out on 2
Great analysis. Although I don't think this one will be that close. I suspect that it will be similar to the Bowie game. Not to say that it will be a shut out, but I think IP will flex its muscle again this week.

I certainly hope you are right. I think the key to this game is turnovers (I know that's not original). But more specifically, I don't think B-port can overcome any turnovers. If IP has some turnovers, then it could be really close. But if B-port gives IP a short field a couple of times early, IP is very good at making things snowball against opposing teams. For example, the Bowie game was over mid way through the 2nd quarter because IP jumped out and took Bowie's running game out of play.

bullfrog_alumni_02
11-18-2004, 02:25 PM
i didnt know that the hawks had a small d-line, record to record its an easy win for I.P. but im betting it will be totally different when it comes to game time. good luck to both teams this week.

Bullaholic
11-18-2004, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by Z motion 10 out on 2

I just like to thank all of you guys for responding to game threads with thought, great pride in your teams, and respect for your opponents. It is really a pleasure to be able to read and analyze your game insights every week. And no, just for the record---I'm not one of those "warm and fuzzy" fans who pays insincere nice complements to their opponents just to be known as a "nice" guy. I am as hard- nosed of a HS football fan and Bull supporter as there is and will "headbutt" anybody-- anytime , and I get "fired up" for every game, and shout "bring em' on" with the best of em'. I do respect those who do likewise within the bounds of good sportsmanship.

Macarthur
11-18-2004, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
I just like to thank all of you guys for responding to game threads with thought, great pride in your teams, and respect for your opponents. It is really a pleasure to be able to read and analyze your game insights every week. And no, just for the record---I'm not one of those "warm and fuzzy" fans who pays insincere nice complements to their opponents just to be known as a "nice" guy. I am as hard- nosed of a HS football fan and Bull supporter as there is and will "headbutt" anybody-- anytime , and I get "fired up" for every game, and shout "bring em' on" with the best of em'. I do respect those who do likewise within the bounds of good sportsmanship.

I used to get much more wound up about these things until I had children. I then began to realize what is really important and that this is just a game.

I too get frustrated by folks on these types of boards that don't really think through their posts. There's nothing wrong with a little smack and having fun with it, but I also like to talk about some legitimate football points.

Z motion 10 out on 2
11-18-2004, 03:57 PM
I agree Bullaholic. I really like to read about the different teams. They way other fans think about strategy and all of that stuff. I remember three years ago when Vernon was doing very well. We beat Wylie then Aledo in the playoffs and I just knew we were going to win it all that year. I found my first message board at an Amarillo newspaper website and talked to some folks from Perryton. All I could talk about was how good Benard Scott our RB was. They gave me the insight about Perryton. I never met them, but that was really the first time I ever used a message board. I cam across it by accident as I was looking up the team write up's in the paper and found the message board link. I have been hooked ever since! By the way, Scott didn't even get a 100 yards that night and we lost. That was my first taste of Crow and it sucked!

VWG
11-18-2004, 07:07 PM
The Bulls will have to establish the run to win this game.
Iowa Park does have some deficiencies on defense. I would say their defensive line and linebackers are undersized. They are a swarming defense and get to the ball..... but if Bridgeport can move with muscle then they will have some success.
The great thing about the Hawks is their overall offensive gameplan. They spread it out, they roll the QB out and use his speed, they bunch it up tight and use the ground game.... etc.
They have different formations to choose from and do so on a regular basis.
I look for Iowa Park to take this one by at least two touchdowns.
The Hawks will key on Jones and try and take him out of the game.
On the flipside, the Bulls have to stop Swenson at QB for the Hawks. He is a big factor in their offense. Reminds me of Carrillo a few years ago from Sweetwater. Small, but quick and can throw if needed. Very elusive.

GreenMonster
11-18-2004, 07:42 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I was hoping to get a really nice response out of this thread. I appreciate everyone's time and your wonderful insights. I would still like to know more about the Bulls but I will find out soon enough. I hope everyone has a nice, safe, drive and I hope the kids put on a great show. See you at Pioneer Stadium on Saturday night!

Macarthur
11-18-2004, 08:30 PM
Bullaholic, can you tell me B-ports schedule and results of each game?

PPHSfan
11-18-2004, 08:33 PM
I think the Bulls should get Daugherty to come home for the weekend and dress up as a QB.:D

Bullaholic
11-18-2004, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by Macarthur
Bullaholic, can you tell me B-ports schedule and results of each game?

Mac....try this link:

http://www.texasfootballratings.com/2004SchedWkly3ADist7.html

Bullaholic
11-18-2004, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by PPHSfan
I think the Bulls should get Daugherty to come home for the weekend and dress up as a QB.:D

Think we need more help at QB, PPHSFan?

PPHSfan
11-18-2004, 09:56 PM
Think we need more help at QB, PPHSFan?

Not so much as I think that Daugherty was the best Texas HS QB in the past three years.

Bullaholic
11-18-2004, 10:01 PM
Not so much as I think that Daugherty was the best Texas HS QB in the past three years.

Better even than Harrell and Bomar? It will be a "homer" response if I agree with you.

Keith7
11-18-2004, 10:02 PM
Better even than Harrell and Bomar? It will be a "homer" response if I agree with you.

both of those QBs had daddy padding thier stats

PPHSfan
11-18-2004, 10:09 PM
I would easily put PD in the same class as Harrell, Bomar, Freeman, Hanie, and McGee.

I would put Dane there too if he were not so short.:eek:

Sorry, couldn't resist the last comment.

Bullaholic
11-18-2004, 10:17 PM
I would easily put PD in the same class as Harrell, Bomar, Freeman, Hanie, and McGee.

I would put Dane there too if he were not so short.:eek:

Sorry, couldn't resist the last comment.

Size could hurt Dane in NCAA D1, but he does have all the tools plus the smarts. You can probably add G.J. Kinne from Canton to that list in about a year or two.

caldwell
11-18-2004, 10:49 PM
SOSU RULES
WHAT WHAT

GreenMonster
11-19-2004, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by caldwell
SOSU RULES
WHAT WHAT
what what the heck does that have to do with this thread you idiot?? you are ruining my thread and I don't like it
:mad: :mad: :mad:

Z motion 10 out on 2
11-19-2004, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by caldwell
SOSU RULES
WHAT WHAT

I'm sure Caldwell is refering to the team picture of Southeastern Oklahoma on my sig. line. They did have a great year this year.

stateboundWR#5
11-20-2004, 01:47 PM
my thoughts on this one is that bridgeport pulls out an upset, something big happens and changes the entire game... wylie upset 11-0 canyon last night and they were the underdogs for sure, so on any given friday anyone can be beat in the playoffs!

Bullaholic
11-20-2004, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by stateboundWR#5
my thoughts on this one is that bridgeport pulls out an upset, something big happens and changes the entire game... wylie upset 11-0 canyon last night and they were the underdogs for sure, so on any given friday anyone can be beat in the playoffs!

I don't know you statebound, but as "Slingblade" would say---"I sure like the way you talk."