PDA

View Full Version : Top Running Back Tandem.......

Crow22
05-23-2003, 02:12 PM
Rice Consolidated will have a 1-2 punch that, in MY opinion, will give them a great chance of winning it all in D-2.

Charles Huffman (jr.) - 5'8", 185, 4.4 (1,200 yds)
Michael Spears (sr.) - 5'8", 175, 4.5 (1,300 yds)

Make me proud boys.....

Old Cardinal
05-23-2003, 03:08 PM
I think that the combination of Michael Gauthier and Jon Landry of Bridge City will be the very fastest two backs on the field in 3A...it's really kind of tragic that they will have such a young and inexperienced line in front of them..

Gobbla2001
05-23-2003, 04:36 PM
Those two scare the crap outta me, Crow... Why didn't you take them with you?

big daddy russ
05-23-2003, 04:44 PM
Watch out for Corey Hale and Myron Brown out of Aransas Pass. Hale rushed for over 700 yards playing second fiddle to 2,000-yard back Tommy Blake last year while Brown will be a force at fullback. Brown started on defense his sophomore year, but was forced to sit out last season due to UIL restrictions. Kid is one of the hardest hitters I've seen in a while. Both will be seniors.

Oh, and those two kids from Rice will wreck house.

<small>[ May 23, 2003, 04:45 PM: Message edited by: big daddy russ ]</small>

District303aPastPlayer
05-24-2003, 12:16 AM
Myrons older brother was a hass with Tommy Blake, Marcus... I dont know about upcoming tandems, but i do know the best i have seen in person was from Sinton. Jones and Hughes... Jones should enter the draft after this season is over.

the tigers are back
05-24-2003, 06:24 AM
Emeal Andrus, 5-10 170 4.3 speed, i recommend that he is in the top of the wolf pac. Oh yeah...last season 1676 yds.,and 18 tds,but also with all the front line returning from last year, but 2 we looking forward for a good year.SEALY TIGERS RAAAAAHHHHH..... eek!

big daddy russ
05-24-2003, 08:34 AM
30-3A, your two boys were both hosses. Dang, I still have nightmares about those guys.
Oh, and believe it or not Myron is actually a better ballplayer than Marcus eek! , and Marcus hung 300 yards on our boys in his first game after switching from QB to RB. Those two kids are some of the best pure athletes I've ever run across.

Bellville22
05-24-2003, 12:05 PM
the tigers are back:
Emeal Andrus, 5-10 170 4.3 speed, i recommend that he is in the top of the wolf pac. Oh yeah...last season 1676 yds.,and 18 tds,but also with all the front line returning from last year, but 2 we looking forward for a good year.SEALY TIGERS RAAAAAHHHHH..... eek! 'tandem' (tan-dem) n. - one behind another, two, as in two horses harnessed one behind the other
--Webster's Dictionary, Deluxe Edition

tigers are back: all you have to do is mention Travis Williams, and I would probably agree with you for the first time ever

Old Cardinal
05-24-2003, 12:53 PM
Thanks Bellville 22, I understood that a tandem is usually referred to on a Power I team set...But I think in recent years it has come to be regarded as a one-two punch ability by any running backfield positions.

Bellville22
05-24-2003, 02:13 PM
Yea, Old Card, I think we've broadened the term a bit in the past few years. I just wanted to make sure our friend "tigers are back" understands that it means TWO backs. Of course I'm sure we'll be hearing soon from him. He'll probably tell us that Emeal is so fast that we'll think he's 2 backs, hahahaha. I can't wait.

Bellville22
05-24-2003, 02:19 PM
I'm not gonna throw these guys among the top of this list yet, but Harold Runnels and Josh Bryant could make some noise for Bellville next year. They're two pretty different backs. Runnels is a bigger guy who can pickup the 2 or 3 yards at the end of a run, but still has good speed and knows when to cut. Bryant is a very quick, speedy back (no, not as fast as Emeal :rolleyes: ) who can get to the corner in a hurry. He's a bit undersized, but very hard to catch, also a tremendous reciever out of the backfield or in the slot. These two will most likely be the RB/FB tandem. Won't be regarded as one of the top combos, but should do a nice job keeping a secondary honest for Buenger to throw the ball, and could get a little recognition by the end of the year.

Old Cardinal
05-24-2003, 07:33 PM
I hear, Emeal Andrus is going to move over to Sweeny and play football there this fall...

<small>[ May 24, 2003, 09:12 PM: Message edited by: Old Cardinal ]</small>

the tigers are back
05-24-2003, 10:33 PM
hello! guy's, i see you'll really enjoy keeping me in your mouth's.I wonder what would it would be without me on the line ha.... oh boy. We'll let's seee here; bellville i really do agree with you on j.bryant he is a very tricky runner. I watch him made some really fine runs against {liberty} and {giddings} ,but i don't think runnels is as good as j.b.,but runnels is a power runner; i saw him against {BANDERA}and travis williams is a sr. grad. We are looking to fill the gap up with j. brown or t. slaughter.d. hamilton and a few other's this want be easy filling in travis spot though.We'll rumors are that andrus was going to bellville i heard the coach asked him over,but katy tigers asked also, but i guess you'll making up the part about {sweeny}.... we'll i guess you'll will be happy that i respond on the questions, but i'm gonna chill for a while until july, because i know that we are all ready for some football,oh yeah runnells is my cousin tell him keep it real hah.. :D

Bellville22
05-25-2003, 10:39 AM
My mistake, I though Williams was coming back this year.

District303aPastPlayer
05-25-2003, 11:53 AM
big daddy russ:
30-3A, your two boys were both hosses. Dang, I still have nightmares about those guys.
Oh, and believe it or not Myron is actually a better ballplayer than Marcus eek! , and Marcus hung 300 yards on our boys in his first game after switching from QB to RB. Those two kids are some of the best pure athletes I've ever run across.I hear that West Oso has ANOTHER Filmore brother coming up, and he is supposed to be as good as Deandre was in his prime.... Just what I heard...
Also, how does Ingleside look this year Russ? Ive heard that Taft should make a BIG NOISE this year... just curious as to how everyone will be.
-aaron

big daddy russ
05-25-2003, 07:22 PM
Another Fillmore? Oh my dear Lord. I can't believe they have another one. Will he be a freshman, or is he coming up as like a sophomore or something? Can you imagine that kid, Desion Jackson and Benny Leal (he's coming back, right?) in the backfield? If their line improves they will be hell to keep up with.

As far as Ingleside, we'll be better, but I don't know if the boys could be considered a top playoff contender just yet. Our team speed is way down from a couple years ago, but our lines should be bigger. If just two more offensive linemen could get that nasty streak, they'll be an awesome unit. Every single one of those kids is just too nice. Defensive line will be tough. They'll be anchored by 6'1" 285-lb. DT/DE Robert Haughie. Haughie will also line up on the offensive line... the kid's an animal. Runs a 5.1 at 285 and was moved over to TE at times last year. Offensive skill positions are still kinda up in the air, but at QB they'd do well to put in Ryan Lyman. Lyman started about five games last year when Trey Turnbough went down. Doesn't have a super arm, but is an amazing athlete and great when the play breaks down. He's good on bootlegs and is a very elusive runner. In the offensive backfield, two-year starter C.J. Jackson is back as a fullback... again, just needs that nasty streak to be great... and the rest looks like a fight between sophomore Michael Fenton, Brandon Stacy and a few other kids trying for wingback and tailback. Wideouts will be solid, but not spectacular. A bunch of posession-type guys, but they get the job done and do it effectively. Linebackers will be solid, but will probably be undersized. Defensive backfield is very inexperienced. All in all, about an average team, but if they put it together and become the physical team third-year Head Coach Lamar Lewis wants, they'll be dangerous. Of course, they have nowhere near the talent of some of the other teams in the district, but put them in another district and they could very well make the playoffs as the second or third team.

As far as Taft goes, you can line them and Orange Grove up against one another and have almost identical teams. Very quick and willing to get to the ball. Team speed is an asset, although size isn't. Again, I'd pick them as the fourth-best team in the district, but I think they're coming together under their new head coach and that young, inexperienced team that they had last year should give way to a tough, seasoned squad next year. They could very well sneak into the playoffs and go a couple rounds deep if they come together like I expect. They should be much more disciplined this year than in years past. AP, Sinton and West Oso have twice as much talent as the Greyhounds, but the typical discipline problems could again plague WO and AP... giving Taft just enough room to slip in.

You know, last year Taft played everyone (including Sinton) very well and was in just about all their ballgames. They may have only won a couple of games, but remember back in 2000 there was a team out of our district who had a similar year. Odem went 1-9 overall, then followed it up in 2001 and 2002 with consecutive playoff berths. You always have to watch those young teams who always seem to lose games by less than two touchdowns.

<small>[ May 26, 2003, 09:14 AM: Message edited by: big daddy russ ]</small>

District303aPastPlayer
05-25-2003, 08:48 PM
Actually Russ... there are two more Filmores... ones a female... ones a male... The daughter filmore is going to be a junior i believe... and the son Filmore will be a freshman, or an 8th grader... again.. this is stretching my memory... i could be wrong... and Tafts players now are the citys 1st unit of peewee players, so they have been accustomed to eachother for a while.

qb12
05-26-2003, 06:40 PM
boo beechum will not hesitate to run u over or run away from you with the 4.3 speed from carthage watch out!

ThaRealBulldog
05-26-2003, 07:28 PM
Don't forget #1 Jamon Edwards, he can break one at anytime. Edwards and Beechum are one of the best backfield tandems in the state.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
05-27-2003, 11:33 AM
I know that 1-2 punches are good......but 1-2-3 punches are better! wink

Port Isabel will have such a punch this coming season. The exact combination isn't set yet, so i'll name the players, and the potential combos.

QB - Sr. Gabe Alvarez, 5'10, 180, 4.5 - An option style QB with great speed, and is incredibly elusive. Has also developed his arm since last season.

RB/FB Jr. Johnny Nieto, 5'11, 195, 4.5 - A quick RB that runs with power, prefers to run through people instead of around them. Can also pull away from defenders when he breaks one. He did that with a 76 yd. run vs. 4A Los Fresnos last season.

FB/OLB Sr. Josue Trejo, 5'9, 180, 4.6 - What this kid lacks in size, he more than makes up with his hitting power. Is also quick off the snap.

RB/WR Sr. Joe Arevalo, 5'11, 190, 4.4 - 2nd of 3 candidates for the RB position left open with the graduation of Joey Loera. Arevalo is very fast, and can pull away from defenders when he breaks one. He did just that with an 81 yd. run vs. 4A Los Fresnos last season.

RB/WR Sr. Misael Iracheta, 5'11, 180, 4.3 - The fastest of the Tarpons. Is very shifty and easily pulls away from defenders when he breaks one. Ran the ball a few times last season with spectacular results. The only drawback is how he responds to his quad injury during the track season.

So, the 3 options are.....

QB Alvarez
RB Nieto
FB Trejo

QB Alvarez
RB Arevalo
FB Nieto

or

QB Alvarez
RB Iracheta
FB Nieto

Since this isn't set in stone YET, there's a possibility of seeing all 3 combinations being utilized next season. Will be fun to watch.

Also, good luck to the Rice Raiders. I'd say a fairly good chance of PI meeting up with you guys in the playoffs. Will be a great one.

Matthew328
05-27-2003, 12:45 PM
Hey what a shock Everman should be pretty deep in the backfield again this year...look for the Bulldogs to be much like 2001 and use as many as 5 or 6 guys to carry the ball....don't know if they can match 2001 when they had one of the deepest backfields ever....but I think they'll be pretty strong..the jury is still out on most of em since they are young...

2001 Everman backfield numbers..
Theo Miller 152 att 1397 yds 19 TD
JJ Jennings 107 att 725 yds 11 TD
Michael Benton 82 att 622 yds 19 TD
Terry Jones 97 att 601 yds 4 TD
Blaine Harrell 23 att 326 yds 2 TD
Tremaine Wright 32 att 296 yds 3 TD
Prentice Wright 23 att 233 yds 3 TD

Those are some pretty salty numbers...but this group has the talent to match that...but like I said you never know when you are playing guys with little varsity experience..

<small>[ May 27, 2003, 12:47 PM: Message edited by: Matthew328 ]</small>

GwoodRanger#4
05-28-2003, 01:51 PM
All I know is that you shouldnt count out Midland Greenwoods Backfield, they run they wishbone offense and have four backs that can kill you any given play!

Jerell Brooks- FB 6' 190 4.58- Hes only going to be a junior, he's definetly going to be a play maker

Brian Zachry- 6' 180 4.56- Hes one of the tail backs who played last year: an amazing athlete, he was ALL-West Tx Strong Saftey last year as a junior. Also very capable of making big plays, great player; clutch

Jeremy Audas- 5'8 160 4.47- This kid is amazing: Started as a Freshman, and has started every friday night since then. He has great speed as well as quickness, his vision and shiftyness make him capable to do some really amazing things. He was also named All West Tx last year as a junior. Oh yeah another thing to keep in mind is he bench presses 305, (he only wieghs 160), he'll be really fun to watch!

DAWSON WILBER- 5'11 205 4.51- Then on top of all of those backs teams will have to try to stop this kid! Last year he was ALL WEST TX 3A M.V.P, as a junior. He does things that make you say "WOW", he has it all except for hieght. He has great Feet,Speed,Vision,Very Elusive, and runs that offense Great. Also a Great leader, he leads that offense down the field, much like a Lieutenant would lead troops into battle. Great Competitor..Ya'll Watch out!

I just had to point these things out about Greenwood, just think about this tandem, 3 of them were All West Tx last year , and they're coming back. I look to see lots of points being put on the board next year.