PDA

View Full Version : Divine -vs- Lyford

99IHSMustang
11-17-2004, 12:55 PM
Who do you think is going to win this one? I don't know how good these 2 teams are but maybe some of you can give me an idea. So I will hold my vote until then.

footballgal
11-17-2004, 01:29 PM
I think this will be closer than most people think.:clap:

Kool Tarpon 21
11-17-2004, 01:31 PM
I don't think it will be that close. Devine will beat Lyford by more than 4 touchdowns. I hope that I'm wrong, but that's what I think. Peace up, A-Town down.

footballgal
11-17-2004, 01:37 PM
I am only basing it on having watched Cotulla and Lyford. Cotulla only lost by 2 points to Devine, and Lyford started playing better after playing PI game. Besides dist 29-aaa is not very strong.

footballgal
11-17-2004, 02:23 PM
Devine intervention
Lyford looks to enact revenge against Warhorses

Christy Espinosa / Valley Morning Star
http://www.valleystar.com/images/uploads/Lyfordsports111704.jpg

Lyford running back Omar Cavazos runs the ball during practice Tuesday as the Bulldogs prepare for their area round game against Devine on Friday.

By BUDDY GREEN
buddyg@valleystar.com
956-430-6284

LYFORD — The running game is clicking. So is the defense.

Add to that a little revenge factor, and the Lyford Bulldogs appear to be heading into Friday’s area championship against Devine in good shape.

"I like the way everybody’s been playing," said running back Omar Cavazos. "Everyone’s playing hard, not giving up."

Devine beat Lyford last year 28-16, also in the area round.

"It’s big-time revenge," said middle linebacker David Garcia. "We want them bad."

Lyford beat West Oso 10-9 in bi-district. Cavazos rushed for 103 yards in the victory.

For the season, the senior has 985 yards on 180 carries, averaging 5.5 per carry.

"He gets the tough yards," said Lyford head coach Jaime Infante. "In our offense, we spread it around. If he was the feature back, he’d have a lot more yards."

The personal numbers really don’t concern Cavazos.

The Bulldogs were second in rushing in District 32-3A to Port Isabel. Including bi-district, the Bulldogs average 244 yards a game.

Aaron Infante is second to Cavazos with 793 yards, fullback Felix Silva has 577 and quarterback Adrian Roma added 223.

"Our running game has been better this year," Cavazos said. "The good thing, this offense is not based on one guy. We have good depth in the backfield."

Of course, as the offensive line goes, so goes the Bulldogs ground attack.

"Our line is playing good," said Cavazos. "They’re real quick. They started slow last week, then started opening big holes in the second half."

The line consists of center Heron Lopez, guards Justin Ramirez and J.R. Delgado, tackles Craig McDonald and Luis Medina and tight end Sonny Lopez.

"We’re (offensive line) not very big," said Infante. "But we get the job done. We’re pretty quick."

Cavazos made second-team all-district the previous two seasons. This in a district with plenty of talented running backs, like Rio Hondo’s Jimmie Heath, Port Isabel’s Misael Iracheta and Lyford’s own Erin Kirksey.

"Since his sophomore year, he’s been in the mix with some good running backs," said Infante. "Maybe this year he can make first team."

Cavazos would trade that in a minute for a win this week.

"I’ve been looking forward to this game," he said. "Last year was a disappointing loss."

Lyford’s win over West Oso was keyed by a defense that gave up some yardage but managed to keep the Bears out of the end zone, for the most part.

Star running back Vernon Powell gained 144 yards, but didn’t score.

"I was real happy with the way we contained him," said Infante. "He broke a couple of long ones, but we punished him. We closed the season playing good solid defense."

The Bulldogs lost to La Feria 2-0 in Week 9, then beat Hidalgo 21-7 to clinch a playoff berth.

Hidalgo, a passing team, was unable to do much of anything against the Lyford D. The Bulldogs blitzed often, putting tremendous pressure on quarterback Danny Rodriguez.

"We like to blitz," said Infante. "We come from all angles."

West Oso managed just 227 yards.

"We became a family," said Garcia, referring to the late-season transformation of the defense. "I think our defense is a lot stronger this year. We’re quicker and smarter."

The Bulldogs have Justin Valdez, Ramirez, Medina and Sonny Lopez on the downline.

Garcia, Joey Rios, Gilbert Esparza and Delgado play linebacker.

In the secondary is Noel Garcia, Larry Mendez, Marcus Lopez and Romo.

"David Garcia was all over the field against West Oso," said Infante. "Really, though, the whole defense is playing well."

This week the Bulldogs will have to concentrate on Devine running back Paul Whitehead. Whitehead had 181 yards and two touchdowns in last year’s game.

"Whitehead is a power runner," said Garcia. "I feel really confident we can stop him. Last year we shot ourselves in the foot. We weren’t wrapping him up."

Said Infante, "It’s a little more challenging playing the guys who eliminated you last year. It’s added incentive."

Hey Misael, did you see your name? and your not even playing high school football anymore :D

rhs78
11-17-2004, 06:16 PM
devine will win this by at least 10 points, this team has improved greatly over last years team that now has playoff exp.

Kool Tarpon 21
11-17-2004, 06:18 PM
LoL...Yeah, I saw it. It was only last football season though. LoL. It's still funny. Peace up, A-Town down.

Unblockability
11-17-2004, 08:56 PM
Sorry to say but i think lyford will lose at least by 14. Either way Go Lyford!

CS_WILDCATS
11-17-2004, 10:15 PM
Lyford be carefull what you wish for - Devine will roll and advance to the next round.

footballgal
11-17-2004, 11:21 PM
I think Lyford can pull it off.