PDA

View Full Version : Sweeny HC / AD Job Opening

g$$
11-17-2004, 03:24 AM
Now that Mike Treybig has been relieved of his coaching duties (still AD currently), who do y'all think are the front runners for the job? It was formally announced Tuesday after much speculation & now will be posted. It is a program that has been down the past 3 years but also one rooted in tradition. Those same bloodlines are still there from many fine years in all sports. I wish Coach Treybig & his family well. Just curious what the people think... please keep it clean & tasteful. Here's where I read it: www.thefacts.com

AggieJohn
11-17-2004, 03:47 AM
sweeny...hmm.....bulldogs right?

g$$
11-17-2004, 03:52 AM
That's right...Brazoria County between Bay City & Lake Jackson. Town is hungry to win again. Used to be one of the bigger 3A enrollments, now just above middle of pack according to Texas Football. Played 4A for 2 years in mid 90s & held their own (coached against them). 3 kids in League right now (George Lane = Chargers, Cedric Woodard = Seahawks, Kevin Garrett = Rams). Interesting opening....we'll see.

scrub c
11-17-2004, 08:13 AM
frontrunner from what my sources are saying is the guy who is currently principal.

pancho villa
11-17-2004, 09:31 AM
Great football tradition, could be a lot of coaches after this job.

BlueBlood
11-17-2004, 09:33 AM
I heard the band director has also applied.

FbCoachB40
11-17-2004, 10:47 AM
I heard that the principal doesn't want the job. It will be hard to please the Sweeny fans with the lack of talent that is there right now. They have a chance to be successful for a couple more years, but the JH kids are not very talented. All that being said, it is a good opportunity to coach a playoff team in the next couple years. I also hear that it is a pretty good place to live. I personally think that a coach with a spread offense would have the best chance for success there. Good athletes, good speed, and good QB returning, not much on the line.

Johnnypaycheck
11-17-2004, 10:54 AM
Heard Steve Spurrier was in town checking out the facilities and talking to the administration...

one&gone
11-17-2004, 11:16 AM
What are quailification for job?

pancho villa
11-17-2004, 11:48 AM
Is it on the thsca job board yet?

raider red 2000
11-17-2004, 03:15 PM
does anyone know if treybig is staying on as the AD?
will this be a head football only and no AD position?

that would suck...good luck to treybig and his family

coaching would be a tough act....win and half the people still dont like you....lose and you gotta find a job

g$$
11-18-2004, 04:22 AM
I think FB Coach B40 makes some good points about what is there now & what is coming up. I have heard the same from numerous coaches, including some at the Jr. High level who played them. But we all know winning seems to change things & more kids come out, then the whole thing snowballs & builds upon itself. Kids change a lot too from 7th to 11th grade. Winning breeds winning just like losing breeds losing. I expect whoever gets the job to throw the heck out of the ball with their current talent base. On film the line play is atrocious, & the kids are weak (offseason program??). I have heard both about the current principal, interest & no interest. He may be limited in what he can do as far as assistants, etc. But TZ can coach, has a good scheme & is very multiple on offense. I was also told his son is currently a freshman qb, so that may play into it too. Kids play hard for him, as we witnessed when they came up to 4A years ago. No way they can expect to get a quality coach without the AD tag at the 3A level. Interesting note: THSCA is listing the job as both HC/AD. Treybig would have to be reassigned if he doesn't move on. Surely he will for all concerned & his career. I wish him well in starting over, sometimes change is just needed. The list of applicants will be very interesting for sure. I bet it gets filled right after Christmas.

FbCoachB40
11-18-2004, 11:28 AM
I agree g$$, if TZ wants it, this is the year to do it with his kid in HS. I also agree that it will be filled before the start of the next semester.

g$$
11-19-2004, 01:13 AM
Good deal. A new guy will need to be in place by the Spring. Right now is not urgent & the hiring process needs to run its course. I just know in Sweeny they are happy the announcement was made & now the kids are into offseason. I expect them to bounce back next year & compete much better in that district. How many wins - who knows right now? WC should & will be the favorite, then it's wide open. I think that baseball district will be lots of fun to watch - WC, Sweeny, & Wharton should all be solid. See who steps up. Take care & good luck.

scrub c
11-19-2004, 08:16 AM
My sources now say, the principal had better be on his p's and q's if he wants it. Because the other front-runner is just down the road in orange and black.......

pancho villa
11-19-2004, 09:12 AM
Word is a big name from west texas.

scrub c
11-19-2004, 09:24 AM
big name? as in a lot of letters in his name or what

Johnnypaycheck
11-19-2004, 09:36 AM
well, you can take spurrier out of the rumor mill since it is almost guaranteed he is going to South Carolina...I thought he would look good in baby blue...or is that powder blue???

darkhorse candidate is from central texas area...

pancho villa
11-19-2004, 09:47 AM
The panhandle has a frontrunner also.

FbCoachB40
11-19-2004, 10:14 AM
Hey scrub, there are two teams in orange and black. One east and one west, I am assuming you talking about the one west, correct?

FbCoachB40
11-19-2004, 10:16 AM
Hey pancho, where exactly does west Texas start? Does it start in Monahans?

pancho villa
11-19-2004, 10:23 AM
west of S. A.

registered
11-19-2004, 11:43 AM
Medina Valley???

Balboa
11-19-2004, 03:45 PM
whoever gets this job has got something to work with....it is just a program that has fallen off the last couple years.....who said monahans

g$$
11-25-2004, 10:27 PM
It is TZ's job to lose if he decides he wants it. There are family considerations plus freedom to bring in assistants, etc. That is where it gets hairy. Patterson in VV has done a good job, & his dad Pat is the interim Supt. there now & previously was the Supt. in Sweeny (& was well thought of). So there are natural ties, but Sweeny is leery of hiring another 2A coach I hear. They want a proven coach from at least the 3A level. Expect an announcement around Christmas. I do not know of the West TX guy, but I am sure there are many qualified applicants from all over for the job. Coaches want to be at a place they can win, & you can win in Sweeny. It must be rebuilt but it can be done. WC went from 1-9 to 9-2 District Champs right? If not for a tough draw in Cuero they would still be playing IMO.

West TX starts west of San Antonio around Junction to me - "the front porch of West TX" & where the Hill Country meets West TX. Sure wish I was hunting there right now. Oh well, see what happens with the hiring process.

TigerShark
11-29-2004, 12:15 PM
Can't let this topic die.

Has anyone heard anything new?