PDA

View Full Version : What will the impact be if

turbostud
11-16-2004, 04:15 PM
the government closes Naval Base Ingleside? This would possibly effect Ingleside, Aransas Pass, and even Gregory-Portland. Would these teams all drop a classification? There was an article in the Caller Times about it Sunday. Can someone who is registered with the Caller Times pull up the archive on the article?

11TARPON
11-16-2004, 04:21 PM
Doesn't seem right that the government would consider closing down the Ingleside Naval base. I remember years back when several coastal communities were fight it out to attract the Navy to their respective towns. Every city was willing to put up substancial funds to entice the Navy. Port Isabel was one of those cities being considered and was willing to pass a big bond issue to draw the Navy to town. Now the Navy can just take it all away. Doesn't seem fair.

big daddy russ
11-16-2004, 04:23 PM
None will drop a classification, but all will take a nice hit in enrollment. Before the Navy families arrived, Ingleside had a steady growth... us and G-P were both growing fairly rapidly... and we had about 480 students at the school. Enough for a small 3A. AP had a little more than us, maybe 500. They don't feel as much of the Navy impact as us or G-P. G-P would probably drop by about 100-150 kids. I'd be willing to bet that if Homeport left, IHS would drop to about 510 kids.

CS_WILDCATS
11-16-2004, 05:36 PM
It could hurt the talent pool. You saw this with many schools that relied on the oil business to bring in more talent/recruits. In the 80's they were power houses and now they are just average.

IHStangFan
11-16-2004, 05:39 PM
it might hurt enrollment in the high schools...but it wouldnt hurt my feelings. try driving through Ingleside around 3:30-4:30 in the afternoon. Also..it'd make buying a house around here REAL easy considering theyre STILL building them faster than i can count em....and if the Navy suddenly went away...they'd have to GIVE em away to try and make some money back....heck...i'm all for it...adios Homeport.

pirate44
11-16-2004, 05:39 PM
I dont think Beeville was hurt in enrollment back when they lost their base. But it hurt the town a bit. we'll just have to keep our fingers crossed.

big daddy russ
11-16-2004, 05:46 PM
The big thing I'd be worried about if Homeport left would be our economy. A lot of local businesses would flop.

IHStangFan
11-16-2004, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
The big thing I'd be worried about if Homeport left would be our economy. A lot of local businesses would flop. yeah, i hate it for people who are already home owners and business owners.....thats unfortunate....but we were fine before the navy...we'll be fine after....sure...some people are gonna be hit and hit hard i suspect, which sucks....but in the long run it'll probably effect us ALL......what would the base closeure do for taxes....i hope all this new skate park and crap they are building is ALREADY paid for!!