PDA

View Full Version : Bellville Brahmas vs. Marlin Bulldogs vs. The Possum

Bellville22
11-16-2004, 02:55 PM
For the third year in a row the Brahmas of Bellville meet up with the Marlin Bulldogs in the playoffs. What have they provided us with thusfar.... let's see, we have what I like to refer to as "The Best HS Football Game I've Ever Seen," the 3OT thriller of two years ago, which ended on what seemed to be THE longest 4th down play ever (2 chances at a sack, a Hail Mary of sorts, a battle for the ball, and a ref with every set of eyes in the stadium on him, and an INT). Follow that up with 2 teams about as evenly matched as possible, battling in one of the great venues in the state, Kyle Field. A game which saw the Bulldogs D clinging to a 19-17 lead, fighting with all their might to stop one of the best offenses in the state... they were successful. The unique thing about both of those games, other than their pure entertainment value, the underdog took both of them. Perhaps that's a good sign for the Brahmas, as they'll enter "Round 3" as fairly big underdogs in most eyes.

Two similar teams in that they both rely on their athleticism to win games. Both feature several guys who can get in the end zone on any given play, and in a hurry. But these teams are coming off of very different seasons. Marlin enters the game as a state powerhouse, only one mark in the loss column. They've steamrolled most everyone, and when they seemed to be down and out last week, they showed the heart of a champion, scoring 15 points in 4:00 to edge out the win over a very good China Spring team. Bellville has taken a bit tougher route. The Brahmas were 0-3 and considered by most to be done. But this young team rallied, found a little chemistry and heart, and have rattled off a 7-1 record since, the one loss coming in one of the tougher places to play, the "Snakepit" against a very good Rattler team. So here we sit. Playoffs. Bryan-College Station. Bellville. Marlin. Brahmas. Bulldogs. Red. Purple. Would you have it any other way?

Bellville comes in to this game as the clear underdog. The Brahmas were blown out by the Dogs in the 3rd game of the season. And while this team has come a LONG way, it was quite the convincing win. But as 'Bulls-Eye' stated, Bellville did show signs of success in that game running the ball, they just weren't able to punch it in. And with the success CS, and I assume Conally, had throwing the ball, the Brahmas have to think that if they can take it to the air like they're capable of doing so, they can have success. Top that off with a very improved defense, and big play instinct on special teams, and you've got a Brahma team that believes they have a chance, and sometimes that's all it takes.

Marlin is one of the few teams who can match and surpass Bellville's athleticism. They may not have an Emmanuel Sanders (I still can't get over him running away from D and Red last year), but they do have another Sanders who is almost, if not just as flashy as Bellville's. Marlin is also deeper in the athlete dept, and have a young man who can be described as "simply a football player", Tank Smith. If Marlin plays their best ball, they'll win. No one will tell you different. But it's awful hard to enter a game when you're expected to roll a team, ask Marlin of two years ago (17 point favorites over the Brahmas).

For Marlin to win, it's simple.... come out and play their game. Don't turn the ball over, don't give Bellville a chance to get momentum. Be bigger, be faster, and execute. If that happens, Marlin should advance.

For Bellville to win they have to make some things happen. They need a big play early, to gain some confidence and momentum. Both of these teams feed off of emotion, so if they can get the Dogs down early, it may lead to more Brahma success. Bellville must win the special teams, and must win the turnover battle.

This Bellville team has come so far, I can't tell you how proud the fans are of them. They face their biggest challenge this Friday. Marlin embarrassed them on their home field in Week 2, you better believe they want another shot at the Bulldogs. I see a fired up Bellville team coming out with a balanced attack, and giving Marlin all they want. If they catch one or two extra breaks, they may even pull the upset...

As for Pete the Possum (Is Pete cool with everyone?), he scored on TD in 2002, but failed to return to the field for the conversion. I expect a similar performance this year....

Marlin 35
Bellville 27
Possum 6 (but he owns halftime...again):D

HornetMom
11-16-2004, 03:01 PM
Bellville22, thank you for a great write up on an upcoming game. I have enjoyed reading all of your commentaries. Keep up the good work.

Junkyard
11-16-2004, 03:07 PM
I am going to have to go with Marlin in this one, I believe it will be a close game.

cunbed10
11-16-2004, 04:04 PM
22 You have a bright future to be a writer for the Houston Chronicle, but no where in your write-up did I C The pink Stuff ...................Pepto-Bismol :D

FormerBellvilleBrahma
11-16-2004, 04:16 PM
Lets see if we can all start another topic on this one! 22 this one was started days ago!
If you were to read it you would also see the OPPOSEM was mentioned!

Bellville22
11-16-2004, 05:08 PM
Former: reveal your identity (by the way I'm closing in on finding out) and I'll stop starting new topics, haha.

To be honest, I just liked seeing our buddy the Possum in the Subject Line. Sorry. A few extra clicks never hurt anyone.

CheerMom
11-16-2004, 05:28 PM
Once again, another great post!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Good Luck, Brahmas and show the Bulldogs what D20 is all about!! Play safe and injury free, and everyone traveling to and from the game, please be careful!!

BrahmaMom
11-16-2004, 05:38 PM
Anybody playing the odds would put money on Marlin in this game. HOWEVER, since I don't understand how the odds are determined, I don't know who determines them and I don't bet, my HEART is with the Brahmas in this game. There isn't enough money in the world to make me have a change of heart. 22 is so right, we are so proud of this little team who could. Coach Chancellor hasn't called me yet to see what I suggest (for once, I am glad he hasn't, this is a tough one), so I can't say I know how the Brahmas will do it, but don't give up on the Bulls. One of their former watermen is celebrating his 12th birthday on game night, so I won't be there except in spirit. But, hey, the Brahmas have more than enough spirit to go for the WIN! Good luck, Brahmas! Go, fight, WIN!!!

faithfuldog
11-16-2004, 07:47 PM
Great post....on target! I can hardly wait to see these two teams battle for the win. If the past is any indication... hold on and enjoy the ride...pepto, high blood pressure pills, pacemakers, etc. come prepared cause this oughtta be a good un'. I have to remind myself that this is high school, with 16-18 yr olds, so one never knows who will show up and have the heart and will to win. I LOVE THIS GAME.

go Dawgs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bellville22
11-16-2004, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by faithfuldog
I have to remind myself that this is high school, with 16-18 yr olds, so one never knows who will show up and have the heart and will to win. I LOVE THIS GAME.

Excellent statement!

Bellville22
11-17-2004, 11:33 AM
'CheerMom', will you be making the trip to B-CS this week again? We'd love your support.

CheerMom
11-17-2004, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by Bellville22
'CheerMom', will you be making the trip to B-CS this week again? We'd love your support.

I want to, but my daughter wants to go watch Hallettsville and Brady play(has friends on the H'vlle team). I really don't like the thought of driving all the way to SA, and drive home that night. Trying to talk her and my husband into coming to the Bellville game. We'll see. If I do come to B-CS, I will let you know.
Good Luck and play safe and injury free!!! If I'm not there, you know I'll be cheering you on from wherever I am!!!

Bellville22
11-17-2004, 11:42 AM
Put the foot down and tell her you have friends in Bellville, and you want to see the Bellville game! :D I know RangerMom would.

CheerMom
11-17-2004, 11:51 AM
Put the foot down and tell her you have friends in Bellville, and you want to see the Bellville game! :D I know RangerMom would.

You haven't seen my daughter when she gets mad. Trust me it is not a pretty site!!!:flamingma :D

Port_town_texas
11-17-2004, 12:01 PM
for K'Ville's sake i hope Marlin loses but I have to pick Marlin to win this one....might be a close one though.

Bellville22
11-17-2004, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by CheerMom
You haven't seen my daughter when she gets mad. Trust me it is not a pretty site!!!:flamingma :D

Haha, and she appeared so sweet at the game. Well, guess you'll just have to match her intensity. Get fired up 'CheerMom'! :mad:

CheerMom
11-17-2004, 01:00 PM
Haha, and she appeared so sweet at the game. Well, guess you'll just have to match her intensity. Get fired up 'CheerMom'! :mad:

Oh, she can be sweet. It's that teenage jekyl and hyde thing!!!:eek:

Bellville22
11-17-2004, 01:04 PM
Oh yea, I have a little sister of my own!:D

Bull's-eye
11-17-2004, 03:38 PM
I read that China Spring had success against Marlin, running straight ahead between the tackles and throwing short passes. Bellville coaches take note and read Bellville22's post. :D

Brahma73
11-17-2004, 04:59 PM
Unknown to most, I've become the team veterinarian for the opossum. Early in the year he sustained a tail injury while running an end-around against a bluetick hound, and while this may affect his prehensile capabilities, he should be okay if he doesn't have to climb the goal post.

This past week, he's been working really hard at evasive maneuvers to allow him to find more success avoiding garbage can wielding Rhodes Scholars. His ultimate demise in the '02 debacle centered around his allowing himself to be cornered against a hurricane fence. Don't think you'll see him make that mistake again.

The possum has really stepped up his overall training regimen this season. Being a nocturnal beast, he's been able to build himself up and work on his explosion and ugliness unbeknownst to his human foes who spend those dark hours sleeping and watching South Park. Look for him to be lean and mean this year.

I expect him to use more of the field this year. I wouldn't be surprised to see him sprinting near midfield; nor would I be surprised if he were to use the cover of the Marlin Band. He's been working on this nifty little cutback between the tubas and the piccolos that might make him a tough critter to snare.

All in all, I think this beast has really stepped up his game and this year's encounter should be much more interesting. Still, in spite of the narrow gap between his mentality and that of his probable pursuer, it's hard for me to pick the possum.

My prediction:

Human 1, Possum 0 in overtime.

Bull's-eye
11-17-2004, 05:19 PM
I heard that many colleges have been recruiting Pete Possum. His mom wants him to stay close, so looks like the Aggies will sign our little friend. He does have one bad habit, he loves to run the streets. Hopefully A&M will confine him to the dorms.

HornetMom
11-17-2004, 05:25 PM
http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0304/linie/smiley-linie-009.gif

Bellville22
11-17-2004, 05:26 PM
73: You've outdone yourself. Priceless!!!

Bellville22
11-18-2004, 01:01 PM
'Bulls-Eye', '73', waiting for those predictions.

CheerMom
11-18-2004, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by Brahma73
Unknown to most, I've become the team veterinarian for the opossum. Early in the year he sustained a tail injury while running an end-around against a bluetick hound, and while this may affect his prehensile capabilities, he should be okay if he doesn't have to climb the goal post.

This past week, he's been working really hard at evasive maneuvers to allow him to find more success avoiding garbage can wielding Rhodes Scholars. His ultimate demise in the '02 debacle centered around his allowing himself to be cornered against a hurricane fence. Don't think you'll see him make that mistake again.

The possum has really stepped up his overall training regimen this season. Being a nocturnal beast, he's been able to build himself up and work on his explosion and ugliness unbeknownst to his human foes who spend those dark hours sleeping and watching South Park. Look for him to be lean and mean this year.

I expect him to use more of the field this year. I wouldn't be surprised to see him sprinting near midfield; nor would I be surprised if he were to use the cover of the Marlin Band. He's been working on this nifty little cutback between the tubas and the piccolos that might make him a tough critter to snare.

All in all, I think this beast has really stepped up his game and this year's encounter should be much more interesting. Still, in spite of the narrow gap between his mentality and that of his probable pursuer, it's hard for me to pick the possum.

My prediction:

Human 1, Possum 0 in overtime.

That was good!!!:clap: :clap: :clap:

Bellville22
11-18-2004, 04:05 PM
'CheerMom', what's the latest on your destination Friday? Hope your having some luck.

CheerMom
11-18-2004, 05:30 PM
'CheerMom', what's the latest on your destination Friday? Hope your having some luck.

Now, it looks like I will be sitting at home. Hubby has to work Saturday.:(

Bellville22
11-18-2004, 06:02 PM
So HE'LL be sitting at home, right? Haha, j/k, that does suck.

CheerMom
11-18-2004, 07:29 PM
If it wasn't such a long trip at night, he would be sitting home alone!! :D

scotty
11-18-2004, 07:58 PM
Just about all of the coaches I know are just horrified at having to play a rematch, especially when they defeated the other team decisively. And no doubt Bellville has improved a bunch since that 42-0 pasting.
While I’ve not seen Marlin play this year, I do remember them from last year and the year before and they are blessed with great speed and skill people. Their quarterback must be outstanding as well as the big running back Tank Smith.
In spite of the circumstances from the day before, I was just awed by the Bellville defense against Rice. I just wouldn’t have believed that a team could shut Rice down the way the Brahmas did.
However, last Friday night against Rockdale the Bellville defense came back to earth and looked very much like the one Brahma fans have been watching all year. Bellville may have been looking ahead and we may have underrated Rockdale a bit.
But that Saturday against Rice the Bellville defense reminded me a lot of last year’s La Grange defense. Those little Leopards just flew to the football. And if you remember they were defeated by Marlin, but Marlin was only able to get four or five first downs against La Grange in that playoff game. I believe two of the first downs came on long touchdown runs. Big plays and the inability to establish an offense are what defeated La Grange.
Bellville will have to play the same defense they played against Rice and they must give Pope time to throw the football.
If that happens… taking it all into consideration, the rematch, Bellville’s quickness to the football, their improvement and the great desire that they have shown in the big game. I believe that the Brahmas will win.

Raider Nurse
11-18-2004, 08:20 PM
Let's go Bellville!!! Beat those Marlins!!!! We're all behind you!!!!!:clap:

Raider Nurse
11-18-2004, 08:26 PM
Another great post,22!!!! Keep up the good work!!!! I still remain a fan!!!!

Bull's-eye
11-18-2004, 08:51 PM
'Bulls-Eye', '73', waiting for those predictions. Bellville must prevent those long plays! In their first meeting, Marlin gained 230 of their total yards on just 4 plays. The DE's must stay at home and keep QB Sanders from getting to the outside. The DB's must play tight and prevent those short quick passes. The whole defense must tackle and make sure they wrap up.
Bellville's offense did have some success moving the ball. The Brahmas ran for 162 yds, but had trouble finishing drives. Costly penalties, fumbles and 2 interceptions were the main culprit. Bellville's offense did use some short passes that were effective. I think they must "nickle & dime" the Marlin defense. Throw some short passes to Sanders and Harris, and let them make some big plays. Most of all, avoid those negative plays and finish their drives.
Sometimes it's hard to beat a team twice in the same season. Marlin's coaches may have a difficult time getting the Bulldogs emotionally ready. After winning 42-0, some of the players may take the win for granted. I'm going out on a limb and picking Bellville to upset Marlin. Why not expect another thrilling game?

Bellville 28
Marlin 27

Bull's-eye
11-18-2004, 08:58 PM
Great post Sotty, I was also thinking about which Bellville defense will show up in Bryan.:thinking:

CheerMom
11-18-2004, 09:07 PM
Since it doesn't look like I'll get to make this game, is it going to be on the radio? That way I can atleast cheer from home.:cheerl: :cheerl: :cheerl:

JettJenkins04
11-18-2004, 09:09 PM
How many players went on to play college ball from the 04 Brhamas? What a great team they had last year. Sure was planning on playing those guys in the Semi-Finals last year but anyway. As the great Coach Roark use to say, it's hard to beat a good team twice. So on that note play hard and smart and just try to stay in the game and everything will fall into place. Good luck to Bellville and keep 20'3a rolling.

Brahma73
11-18-2004, 10:37 PM
Marlin's speed on both sides of the ball really concerns me with regard to the Bull's chances.

Marlin 34
Bellville 20

Make me eat it Brahmas!!!!

Bellville22
11-19-2004, 04:58 PM
ttt, this topic isn't going to sit on page 4 on game day