PDA

View Full Version : SLPYBEAR WEEKLY PICK'EM -- Week #13 -- Gainesville vs. Decatur, The Sequel...

slpybear the bullfan
11-15-2004, 11:30 PM
This Week's Pick 'em... PLAYOFF EDITION

They played earlier in the season... and it was a resounding Decatur victory. How about a rematch of the 2003 state champs against a Decatur team that is on a roll? You got it...

Poll closes on Fridays.

Last Week's Pick'em...

Last week the poll did well, with 52 of 72 (72%) picking Jasper to win their first game against Diboll.

2004 Season Results...

(Click on a Week to be taken to that thread...)

Week 12 - Jasper W vs. Diboll - 52 of 72 - 72% Week 12 - 55.9% cumulative YTD (http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22534)
Week 11 - Rice Cons. vs. Bellville W - 16 of 67 - 23.8% Week 11 - 54.2% cumulative YTD (http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22083)
Week 10 - Abiliene Wylie vs. Snyder W - 6 of 52 - 11.5% Week 10 - 57.6% cumulative YTD (http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21584)
Week 9 - Bridgeport vs. Decatur W - 43 of 56 - 76.7% Week 9 - 62% cumulative YTD (http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21164)
Week 8 - Southlake Carroll W vs. Denton Ryan - 52 of 61 - 85.2% week 8 - 60.3% cumulative YTD (http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20641)
Week 7 - Cameron W vs. Caldwell - 27 of 56 - 48.2% week 7 - 56.7% cumulative YTD (http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20217)
Week 6 - Graham vs. Marlin W - 36 of 62 - 58% week 6 - 58.0% cumulative YTD (http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19652)
Week 5 - Cuero W vs. Sinton - 50 of 89 - 56% week 5 - 58.0% cumulative YTD (http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19244)
Week 4 - Liberty Hill W vs. Manor - 34 of 53 - 64.1% week 4 - 58.8% cumulative YTD (http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18803)
Week 3 - Decatur W vs. Gainesville - 31 of 58 - 53.4% week 3 - 57.1% cumlative YTD (http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18430)
Week 2 - Liberty Hill vs. Burnet W - 32 of 48 - 66.6% week 2 - 59% cumlative YTD (http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18151)
Week 1 - Jasper W vs. WOS - 33 of 62 - 53% week 1 - 53% cumulative YTD (http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17853)

tmac
11-16-2004, 11:07 AM
not bein cocky just askin what makes people think g ville can pull out a w this time?

LH Panther Mom
11-16-2004, 11:48 AM
It could be that it is difficult, while not impossible, for one team to beat the same team twice in one season. Also, I could be wrong (it has happened once this year...), but wasn't Purvey out for the original matchup? If that's the case, folks may be looking at his return as enough for Gainesville to pull the upset. But, that's JMO.

jason
11-16-2004, 12:08 PM
i think he played in the first game

PPHSfan
11-16-2004, 12:32 PM
It would not surprise me one bit to see Gainesville win this game. They have some great film on Decatur. (Their Own Game). Purvey is healthy, and they know what they have to do on defense now. They have the athletes to cover the passing attack, and I think they will make a bunch of personnel changes for this particular game. Don't be surprised to see Gainesville come from behind to win.

Gainesville 24
Decatur 21:eek:

Keith7
11-16-2004, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by jason
i think he played in the first game

he barely played.. he also had a hurt ankle and the flu.. Here is some algebra for you Jason before i go to school

Gainesville O= T

No T=No O

Flourhead
11-16-2004, 01:20 PM
wow i never learned that in algebra... it makes sense though

HighSchool Fan
11-16-2004, 05:55 PM
gaineville also didn't have their all-state linebacker the first game.

Bigbuck
11-16-2004, 05:56 PM
Purvey played the first half. He didn't play the second. By then the game was over 45 - 14. Hewitt did play pretty well though. The two touchdowns came from to long passes that caught Decatur off guard. It should be a good matchup though.
Decatur 49 Gainesville 21

AggieJohn
11-16-2004, 06:04 PM
i think gainsville pulls an amazing upset

Leopards,class of 75
11-16-2004, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by Bigbuck
Purvey played the first half. He didn't play the second. By then the game was over 45 - 14. Hewitt did play pretty well though. The two touchdowns came from to long passes that caught Decatur off guard. It should be a good matchup though.
Decatur 49 Gainesville 21 Big Buck, remember what I told you today at work? I said that Gainesville has nothing to lose because they are the under-dogs. They won several games in the play-offs last year that they were picked to lose including the state game against Burnet. I am not picking an upset here, but you never know what will happen. Purvey is looking really good and so is the rest of the offense. If Gainesville can't defend the pass, it will be another cake walk for Decatur. Having Franklin (#34) back in the linebacker spot can only help the Leopards chances to win this game. Good luck to both of these fine teams!!!

gobbler grad
11-16-2004, 07:23 PM
this is a hard poll to vote for... you 2 tremendous teams with alot of talent and experience...gainesville has to be at their very best and play mistake free, cause i imagine decatur would take advantage of any mistakes...and you don't want to have to come from behind to beat decatur...i believe it's impossible!!!!
good luck to both teams and may the best team win!!!

Bullaholic
11-16-2004, 09:55 PM
Breaking down the rhetoric to it's simplest terms---I see it this way:

The GVille "D" can't stop the Decatur "O"---nobody has yet.
The Decatur "D" can stop the GVille "O" well enough to win.
Decatur by 7-14. Upset potential= 40%.

KTJ
11-17-2004, 11:08 AM
I hope we can pull of an upset, a la Burnet from last year..

No one gave Gainesville a chance going in to that one either. Everyone thought Burnet had it all wrapped up. But who knows...

black&blue
11-17-2004, 01:50 PM
I know purvey only played for a half but could he have accounted for the 35pts that Gainseville lost by?? That being said i think that the game will be closer this time due just to the fact that the two teams have already played and are more familiar with each other.

Keith7
11-17-2004, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by black&blue
I know purvey only played for a half but could he have accounted for the 35pts that Gainseville lost by??

Yes... not only could he have scored more points but he could have helped control the clock

black&blue
11-17-2004, 08:11 PM
ok but just for the sake of argument, if Purvey had scored more points and had in fact played the whole game, then you have to also say that Decatur wouldve had the first-teamers in for longer and they too wouldve scored more points...either way that was during the regular season and playoff football is when it counts

Keith7
11-17-2004, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by black&blue
ok but just for the sake of argument, if Purvey had scored more points and had in fact played the whole game, then you have to also say that Decatur wouldve had the first-teamers in for longer and they too wouldve scored more points...either way that was during the regular season and playoff football is when it counts

Purvey is not the only thing different.. the O-Line is better and the QB has started to make plays you'll see friday

Roll'em up
11-17-2004, 08:49 PM
What's funny in all this talk is that Decatur was also playing a backup at RB. Godboldt played a limited # of snaps possibly not even a full quarter.

HighSchool Fan
11-17-2004, 08:52 PM
the difference is that godboldt isn't have the back that purvey is. if godboldt was on gainesville's team he wouldn't even be 2nd string. try comparing apples to apples, how would decatur be without Dane? best player for best player.

Keith7
11-17-2004, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by Roll'em up
What's funny in all this talk is that Decatur was also playing a backup at RB. Godboldt played a limited # of snaps possibly not even a full quarter.

Oh but he did have 3 times as many carrys as the next guy

Roll'em up
11-17-2004, 09:05 PM
I'm not comparing Godboldt to Purvey, but you have made my point in that he is highly underestimated. What he does do is make Dane and the Decatur offense much tougher to defend.

Underwater Basketweaver
11-17-2004, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by HighSchool Fan
the difference is that godboldt isn't have the back that purvey is. if godboldt was on gainesville's team he wouldn't even be 2nd string. try comparing apples to apples, how would decatur be without Dane? best player for best player.

Ok, look. I am not predicting this game or anything else for that matter in this game, but I am so sick of Godboldt not getting any credit. Yeah sure maybe Decatur uses the passing game to open the running game up, but the kid has been one of the top rushers in the area while getting a limited number of carries due to the fact that we throw the ball so much. Look at his average yards per carry. I don't have it in front of me right now, but I know at one time it was over 9 yards a carry. And it's not like he only carries it 2 or 3 times a game. He has over 200 yards rushing in two separate games in the last 3 weeks. Purvey is a fantastic runner of the ball. Yes, he is the 6th ranked running back recruit in the nation, but unless you've seen Godboldt run at least 3 or 4 games this year, please don't say he isn't half the back Purvey is. Ask a few of the people we played this year if they want to see him again. Purvey is great, but get your lips off his backside long enough to realize that he isn't the only great running back in the state or 3a football.

slpybear the bullfan
11-17-2004, 09:52 PM
Good Grief... Now I am agreeing with UWBW!

Godbolt is the Real Deal. If G-Town thinks that all they have to worry about is Dane and Passing game... see ya. Godbolt has a LOT of talent.

The game won't be decided by who has the better game... Purvey or Godbolt...

...the game is won by the better team.

Looking forward to Friday!

Keith7
11-17-2004, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by slpybear the bullfan

Godbolt is the Real Deal. If G-Town thinks that all they have to worry about is Dane and Passing game... see ya. Godbolt has a LOT of talent.

are you going to the game sleepy

HighSchool Fan
11-17-2004, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by slpybear the bullfan

In away it will, if godboldt has a bettrer game, then Decatur wins easily. If Purvey has a better game, it should be close.

slpybear the bullfan
11-17-2004, 10:19 PM
The wife has plans for Friday night... Barn Party at some friends... *sigh*

I am hoping that maybe I can squirrl out of it somehow and make it there...

HighSchool Fan
11-17-2004, 10:20 PM
you need to go, i want to meet some more people

MASH4077
11-17-2004, 10:40 PM
watched game one on film today and Decatur's 1st O came out with 8:40 left in the 3rd Qtr! How many more pts would they have scored if left in?

HighSchool Fan
11-17-2004, 10:41 PM
and your point

black&blue
11-17-2004, 10:47 PM

I'm willing to bet that Godbolt IS "have" the back that Purvey is. I'd also be willing to bet that if for some reason Decatur got down big in this game, Godbolt wouldnt mysteriously turn up "sick" and sit on the sideline the whole second half.

HighSchool Fan
11-17-2004, 10:48 PM
where is godboldt rated in the country? are you guys blind, did you not see him puking on the sideline, go back and watch the tape again.

Bigbuck
11-17-2004, 11:06 PM
Well put Underwater Basket Weaver.

Godboldt is definitely a good running back. No, he isn't heavily recruited like Purvey, but he gets the job done just fine and hopefully will have a good game Friday.

PPHSfan
11-17-2004, 11:12 PM
I will say this. And yall can disagree with me or not. But if Decatur agreed to leave Dane on the bus, and Gainesville agreed to leave Purvey on the bus. Gainesville wins this game by three touchdowns. With both of them in the game, and both at full speed, Gainesville has a real good chance of winning this game. I am thinking about skipping the Gilmer game and going to this game. But I think the Gilmer vs Spring Hill game is the game of the week.

HighSchool Fan
11-17-2004, 11:13 PM
pphs if you go, i would like to me ya

PPHSfan
11-17-2004, 11:32 PM
I will decide tomorrow. But I am leaning towards the Gilmer game. I also have family in East Texas that I would like to spend the weekend with.

HighSchool Fan
11-18-2004, 07:14 AM
i understand wanting to visit with family, but do they want to visit with you:D

Bullaholic
11-18-2004, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by PPHSfan
I will decide tomorrow. But I am leaning towards the Gilmer game. I also have family in East Texas that I would like to spend the weekend with.

Don't let them know you're coming. They may not be home. :D

PPHSfan
11-18-2004, 07:36 AM
i understand wanting to visit with family, but do they want to visit with you:D

I usually just show up unannounced and looking hungry.

HighSchool Fan
11-18-2004, 07:37 AM
I usually just show up unannounced and looking hungry.

lol

el negro
11-18-2004, 11:38 AM
the passing game of decatur will be very difficult to stop...dane and christian are one is the best qb/wr duos in the state...decatur gets the W

Chief Woodman
11-18-2004, 12:14 PM
It would not surprise me one bit to see Gainesville win this game. They have some great film on Decatur. (Their Own Game). Purvey is healthy, and they know what they have to do on defense now. They have the athletes to cover the passing attack, and I think they will make a bunch of personnel changes for this particular game. Don't be surprised to see Gainesville come from behind to win.

Gainesville 24
Decatur 21:eek:

Were the some of athletes you are talking about that can cover the pass playing during the first half 284 yard 5 td passing performance by The Eagles in the first half alone during game 1? Perhaps they were all injured and unavailable. Lets remember Dane and Christian only played the first half and two drives in half 2.

For sake of argument, lets say that a healthy Purvey makes the Gainesville "O" 3 times as good as they were, first string versus first string. That would score about 42 points and keeps the ball away from the Eagles about 25% more of the time.

Then lets asume that the Gainesville "D" is twice as good as they were in September AND that Decatur has not improved. Dane and Christian play for all 4 quarters instead of 2 quarter and 2 drives, but only score 50% as much for the time played. That has Decatur scoring 28 points by the second drive of quarter 3, and with the extra time scoring about another 19 points.

That could still mean a final of Decatur 47- Gainesville 42 IF the Leps"D" is twice as good as meeting 1 and IF their "O" is 3 times as good as in meeting 1 AND Decatur has not improved.

Having said all that, I realize that was then, this is now. I will be shocked if the Leps can hold Decatur to under 30 points and they themselfs can score 35 or more. Even at that I really do not care if the final is 14-13, as long as Decatur advances.

Chief Woodman
11-18-2004, 12:19 PM
PS- The Leps coach said today in the star telegram that Dane/ Christian combo is in his opinion better than the McGee/ Shipley combo. That comes from their coach who has studied game films on each duo and had to play against each duo.

MonkeyJoe
11-18-2004, 01:20 PM
Decatur has outscored opponents 415-104 in the last 11 games.
Gainesville has outscored opponents 346-169 in 11 games.
Average those out and it comes out to Decatur scores about 38 points a game and gives up 10.
Gainesville scores about 32 points a game and gives up 15.
So that means statically that Decatur scores 6 more points a game, and Gainesville gives up 5 more points a game.

11 points?!

A healthy Terrius and Jeremy Franklin will account for 11 points, i promise you.

Some stats from the last game...
Chandler Dane was 18 of 23 and passed for 404 yards and six touchdowns. Godboldt had 9 carries for 92 yards. Christian caught 9 passes for 205 yards and three touchdowns. Decatur finished with 502 yards of total offense.

Purvey had 16 carries for 98 yards. Hewitt had 13 rushes for 94 yards. Sutton was 5 of 16 passing for 118 yards with two
touchdowns. Gainesville finsihed with 367 total yards.

Chief Woodman
11-18-2004, 02:00 PM
Sorry to tell ya this...Decatur is scoring over 54 points a game, not 38. So are those two guys now worth 27 points a game? Probably not against Decatur.

Decatur has played 7 playoff teams with a record of 7-0 wining by average score of 55-19 versus playoff teams.

Gainesville has played 6 playoff teams with a record of 3-3 with an avg score of Gainesvill 19 opponent 23.

All this is certainly accademic. The game will be played on the field. I certainly know Gainsvile can win, but it WILL take their best effort to do so.

PPHSfan
11-18-2004, 05:09 PM
Well one thing is for sure. Gainesville has not lost a playoff game since 2002. So they do have the edge there. LOL

Chief Woodman
11-18-2004, 07:01 PM
That is certainly true. (I actually would not be shocked by a VERY close game with either team being on top, nor would I be shocked by a huge Eagle victory) I would be shocked by a huge Leps victory.

Keith7
11-18-2004, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by Chief Woodman
I would be shocked by a huge Leps victory.

a lil cocky eh??

Bullaholic
11-18-2004, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
a lil cocky eh??

Keith...I don't think Chief is trying to be cocky. If GVille was the No. 2 team, and No.1 team, in some polls in the state, would people think you were cocky if you would be shocked if GVille lost to somebody by a bunch?

Chief Woodman
11-18-2004, 09:38 PM
Not cocky at all. I think most folks in the state would be shocked if G'Villie wins by a huge score. At the same time, fewer would be shocked by a huge Eagle victory after what has already happened this year.

KTJ
11-18-2004, 10:40 PM
If we won by a huge margin, then I too would be shocked.

Shocked because we aren't expected to win this game. Shocked just like people were shocked that we beat Burnet last year. Shocked....well, you get the picture. :D

Leopards,class of 75
11-18-2004, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by KTJ
If we won by a huge margin, then I too would be shocked.

Shocked because we aren't expected to win this game. Shocked just like people were shocked that we beat Burnet last year. Shocked....well, you get the picture. :D Well said KTJ, the Leopards did shock Burnet in the state final game last year. The question is, can they shock the Eagles? Nobody really knows that answer so we will have to find out Friday night! Should be a much better game this time, good luck to both teams and I pray for an injury free game and safe travel to all who are on the road to and from the game!!!

tmac
11-19-2004, 11:25 AM
well said ktj but u summed it all up with your last few words......last year

Decatur2004
11-19-2004, 11:28 AM
T mac....boy i thought u knew!!!!!!!! Do you know?

KTJ
11-19-2004, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by tmac
well said ktj but u summed it all up with your last few words......last year

Wow...that's a lot of haterade in that one sentence. I was trying to make a joke. Don't take things so seriously.

Anywho, I had a hilarious dream last night about this game. Why? I dunno.

tmac
11-20-2004, 09:41 PM
no haterade just tired of hearin bout last year.at least wait till u can refer to it as back in the day before you go reminicing;)

huarache18
11-20-2004, 11:20 PM
I don't like TMAC's posts?

"Or do I?"
NAH!!!!!!!!!!

tmac
11-21-2004, 03:29 PM
u better watch it young man ill punch u in the face in 2nd block on monday!Or will i????:D