PDA

View Full Version : Beware the Howling Bear and the Prowling Panther!

Phil C
11-15-2004, 11:46 AM
In basketball that is. I am talking about the West Oso Bears and Aransas Pass Panthers. Both of these teams are great in basketball and will now be practicing and getting ready for the season and will have a head start on a lot of teams. The scary thing is that both of them are capable of going to regionals and state and doing well. The extra time to get ready for the season increases the risk.

The Howling Bear was eliminated last week in football and will be determined to have an even better basketball season. Watch out for the Howling Bear and beware!

The Prowling Panther will be mad after starting off a good year in football at 6 - 0 but going 1 - 3 the last three games and missing the playoffs. I can think of nothing that will infuriate the Prowling Panther more. Beware! The Prowling Panther will be determined to atone for the football disappointment and is ready to prounce on their opponents! :eek: :(

IHStangFan
11-15-2004, 11:54 AM
i'm willing to bet West Oso will be decent, but AP? do they have any talent returning to their team? i really dont know, i'm asking. heck...forget bball..i'm ready for TRACK!!

big daddy russ
11-15-2004, 01:26 PM
Hey B, they have a couple of guys (one is the coaches' son) who have been playing varsity since they were freshmen. I think they're juniors now, but there's a huge jump in talent in those four miles between our HS and AP.

District303aPastPlayer
11-15-2004, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Hey B, they have a couple of guys (one is the coaches' son) who have been playing varsity since they were freshmen. I think they're juniors now, but there's a huge jump in talent in those four miles between our HS and AP.

Aransas Pass and West Oso are both state ranked. . . their pre-district game should garner some attention this year. . .

if im not mistaken, a team from District 30-3A had been to the state tourney the previous 3 years. . if AP wants to continue this tradition, they will run into West Oso no doubt on the way. .

btw, hot girl alert on my right

pirate44
11-15-2004, 01:33 PM
i miss those days when Sinton and West Oso would fight it out for district. Man those Gymnasiums would rock with all the people and excitement. Has there ever been a time when West Oso stunk it up on the court? Not that i can remember.

big daddy russ
11-15-2004, 01:34 PM
A team from District 30 has made the Regional IV final every year since 1993. Eleven years, going on 12. Not a bad little run. I think Sinton made it two or three times, Ingleside made it once, and West Oso (when they were in 30-3A) and AP made it the rest.

District303aPastPlayer
11-15-2004, 01:36 PM
A team from District 30 has made the Regional IV final every year since 1993. Eleven years, going on 12. Not a bad little run. I think Sinton made it two or three times, Ingleside made it once, and West Oso (when they were in 30-3A) and AP made it the rest.

in that, how many other than sintons 1 (state chip) made it to the state finals?

big daddy russ
11-15-2004, 01:44 PM
Sinton won in '96. That's the only championship we've brought. West Oso, I believe, went to the final somewhere around '01, somewhere around '99 and I want to say they made it one other time.

Ingleside had an excellent shot at making it in '98, but one huge injury in the Regional Semifinal (I can't remember if we played Gonzales or Somerset) killed us. One of our starting posts, a 6'4" rebounding machine, separated his shoulder. We still had another post who was about 6'9", but because Joe went down we had to move our three-point marksman down into the high post and he just wasn't suited for that job. He was about 6'2" 150 lbs. and opened up the inside for our other two guards (he was kind of like a small forward at the high school level). Dang, that was a good team. I guess I can complain and cry all I want about injuries and such, but all that will get me is a Kleenex.

District303aPastPlayer
11-15-2004, 01:46 PM
Sinton won in '96. That's the only championship we've brought. West Oso, I believe, went to the final somewhere around '01, somewhere around '99 and I want to say they made it one other time.

Ingleside had an excellent shot at making it in '98, but one huge injury in the Regional Semifinal (I can't remember if we played Gonzales or Somerset) killed us. One of our starting posts, a 6'4" rebounding machine, separated his shoulder. We still had another post who was about 6'9", but because Joe went down we had to move our three-point marksman down into the high post and he just wasn't suited for that job. He was about 6'2" 150 lbs. and opened up the inside for our other two guards (he was kind of like a small forward at the high school level). Dang, that was a good team. I guess I can complain and cry all I want about injuries and such, but all that will get me is a Kleenex.

is that the year Mr Socks was playing the 1 guard... i forgot his name, kid could shoot.. when he set up behind the 3pt line... light out... you could almost bet the farm on the ball droppin

District303aPastPlayer
11-15-2004, 01:47 PM
steven younk was his name

big daddy russ
11-15-2004, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
steven younk was his name
Younk was a junior that year. We had kind of an NBA setup that year. The starters were 5-9 Younk at PG (quickest guy I've ever seen in my life), 6-0 Jake Lamkin at SG, 6-2 Aaron Rombs at SF, 6-4 Joe Pritchard at PF and 6-9 Thomas Hahn at C. Rombs was lights out from behind the arc. Shot over 50% for the year. Had a game against Sinton where he knocked down 7 treys. Lamkin was a slasher. Younk was a dribble/penetrate, dish-out point. Pritch was kind of the meat in the middle. Awesome rebounder and good at creating space. Thomas was our near-7 footer. He was a monster through district and the playoffs. Pretty much unstoppable, but got some help from having Pritch line up next to him down low.

Our biggest strength was our height. Our athleticism came from Younk, Lamkin and our sixth man, Casey Dohogne, but they weren't super athletes. Rombs was athletic (probably had a 30-someodd vert) and long, but he wasn't quick. If we would have run into someone with a 6'2" uber-athletic wing (like Gainesville, circa 2002), that might have hurt us. But we were quicker than anyone else on the outside and we could pound it on the inside like no other mother.

District303aPastPlayer
11-15-2004, 02:47 PM
Younk was a junior that year. We had kind of an NBA setup that year. The starters were 5-9 Younk at PG (quickest guy I've ever seen in my life), 6-0 Jake Lamkin at SG, 6-2 Aaron Rombs at SF, 6-4 Joe Pritchard at PF and 6-9 Thomas Hahn at C. Rombs was lights out from behind the arc. Shot over 50% for the year. Had a game against Sinton where he knocked down 7 treys. Lamkin was a slasher. Younk was a dribble/penetrate, dish-out point. Pritch was kind of the meat in the middle. Awesome rebounder and good at creating space. Thomas was our near-7 footer. He was a monster through district and the playoffs. Pretty much unstoppable, but got some help from having Pritch line up next to him down low.

Our biggest strength was our height. Our athleticism came from Younk, Lamkin and our sixth man, Casey Dohogne, but they weren't super athletes. Rombs was athletic (probably had a 30-someodd vert) and long, but he wasn't quick. If we would have run into someone with a 6'2" uber-athletic wing (like Gainesville, circa 2002), that might have hurt us. But we were quicker than anyone else on the outside and we could pound it on the inside like no other mother.

i remember a game that year against Sinton. . great basketball team. . .they had all the makings of greatness. . . Dohogne, i remember that name, always had athletics in him

Phil C
11-15-2004, 03:57 PM
The year after Sinton won State in basketball they went to State the next year which was a big surprise because they had a completely different team and coaches. They lost in the semis.
The Lakers are in a similar position except they still have Kobe and some of the other starters. If they didn't it would be like Sinton that year. A remarkable team.