PDA

View Full Version : No Surprise--bridge City Claims 3a State Cross Country Championship

Old Cardinal
11-14-2004, 03:47 PM
The very young BC Cross Country team last year were nipped out of the State Championship last year by a great Senior laden Elgin team. This year they totally dominated the field winning by 39 points over #2 Yoakum. Now that is an incredible big domination win in Cross Country. If you could have seen how these boys trained this year you would really admire them. They are young and will be back strong this next year! In fact their JV plus two of their fastest girls comprising a whole second team of seven would have been quite competitive in most boys meets!
It's kind of funny, at church this morning I welcomed a new family visiting. The man and I were talking, it seems that his 15 year old stepson is quite a Cross Country star at Navasota. Given a choice as to where to go to school he just this week chose to enroll in Bridge City because of their great CC Coaching and proven team and he too wants to get one of the scholarships that colleges are clammering to give to BCHS youth...A number of the seven Varsity had new career highs at the State Meet at Old Settlers Park.

I sometimes wonder if maybe these kids are right. One youth said "In a lot of sports especially football an ACL or say MCL knee injury with surgery can end a promising college scholarship so easily. In Cross Country, with enough stamina buildup you can get a great college scholarship with less chance of a career ending injury". Maybe he is right.

Cong'ts to Coach Cody Knight who ran right with them on their crueling training and also Coach Miller the Head Coach who is such a great friend and mentor to these hardworking successful youth.

Yes, I am bragging on them! Dizzy Dean says "It ain't braggin if you can do it! LOL" Folks they did it!

To these youth--Keep running up and down that rice canal levee at long angles along West Roundbunch in BC. Also, keep running that rugged course in the spoil-bank area of Pleasure Island east of Port Arthur(watch for those cotton-mouthed moccasins)! Keep running the gator, muskrat and nutria trails through the baygalls of Clairbone Park on upper Cow Bayou. Remember don' t forget your bug repellent!

I kind of look for folks to sit out along West Roundbunch at the various picnic spots next season while you train.

eagle.eyes
11-14-2004, 04:08 PM
Congrats BC and OC.......This time the bragging is backed. BC CC is and will continue to be the real deal! Impressive unit across the board.

Old Cardinal
11-14-2004, 05:32 PM
I just read that the times were an extremely fast overall upgrading from last year. Example Yoakum in #2 place had a time that would have come in second by only 2 points in last years meet.
In the last three years at state, BC got 8th three years ago; second last year(beat by 8 points) and them a good scoring sweep for first this year.
As you may know, lead runner for BC, Junior, Aaron Brennen had an Achilles Heel injury early this week and was kind of iffy at one point. That return team looks kind of awesome for next year with a lot of depth.

PPHSfan
11-14-2004, 10:02 PM
Who were the top ten individual runners in 3A?

Old Cardinal
11-14-2004, 10:42 PM
To PPHS: I don't know the answer to that question. I do know that Aaron Brennen came in the #2 spot 2 seconds behind a winner from Pharr Valley View. Brennen was the one with the A. heel injury. I also don't know the order of finishers behind Bridge City and Yoakum....I would guess that Canyon was near the top. Maybe Barbers Hill finished pretty high? When I have time I will try to find that site--I did not put it in my "favorites" list. OC

Old Cardinal
11-14-2004, 11:09 PM
It's all posted on the UIL site now....The Canyon Girls won as was expected.
There are three teams from each region, so a total of 12 team entries. The results were as follows:
#1 Bridge City
#2 Yoakum
#3 Canyon
#4 LaVernia
#5 Decatur
#6 Perryton
#7 Eustace
#8 Princeton
#9 Pharr Valley View
#10 Lindale
#11 Lufkin Hudson
#12 Barbers Hill

turbostud
11-15-2004, 08:39 AM
Ernesto Parales (Pharr Valley View) who took first place is only a junior as well as the guy from BC who took second. That should be a good match up a next years meet. I believe there was only a 2 or 3 second difference in #1 and #2.

Hupernikomen
11-15-2004, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by PPHSfan
Who were the top ten individual runners in 3A?

First off congrats to BC on what everyone who knew anything about CC expected this year from yall. The hard work continues to pay off for you guys. We narrowly missed making the rock with a disappointed region meet..4th place by a couple points.

PPHS you can find the meet results at www.texastrack.com. That guy who runs the site does a tremendous job.

RBARKER
11-15-2004, 10:10 AM
Congrats to BC.