PDA

View Full Version : NCAA's top 2, as voted by the 3ADL

big daddy russ
11-14-2004, 04:17 AM
OK, the BCS sucks. We all understand that. Right now there are four legitimate teams with a claim to the BCS Championship game down in Miami, but who really deserves to be there?

USC whipped Arizona

OU made Nebraska its red-headed stepchild.

Auburn dominated the number five team in the nation.

Utah had a good ole' fashioned northwest whupping against Wyoming.

Who do you think deserves that all-expense paid trip to South Florida? Pick your top team.

big daddy russ
11-14-2004, 02:48 PM
Call me a homer, but Auburn deserves to be in the top spot. They're a much more complete team than OU or USC and the only game that was close was the one against the then-number seven LSU Tigers. USC and OU have had several close games against teams they should've beat. Meanwhile, Auburn has stomped both Georgia (24-6, then number five) and Tennessee (34-10, then number eight), two teams with legitimate claims to a top-ten ranking.

The only way any team could beat Auburn right now is if Dusty Dvoracek came back and Tommie Harris and Lehman came back to play defense for the Sooners.

Bulldog_12
11-14-2004, 03:36 PM
I give the top spot to USC, but Auburn definately has my #2 spot over OU.

lobo12
11-14-2004, 03:40 PM
Auburn
USC
OU
Utah

bigpimpin
11-14-2004, 05:29 PM
OU is too good on offense not to go to the championship. Adrian Peterson's numbers are so good because OU just runs the ball until you stop it, then throw. I don't think the Heisman should go to Peterson or White, I think it should go to that offensive line because that's where it starts, that's what makes them the most versitiliest team in the country. They have 9 recievers that could start for the Dallas Cowboys and both runningbacks are dangerous, I haven't seen Jones get less than 6 yards on a carry all season and he's the back-up...all that being said, A&M still should have beat them and this conversation would never have happenned...really makes you think, doesn't it?

Flourhead
11-14-2004, 05:36 PM
reggie bush is my unanimous choice for heisman.... he doesnt have more rushing yards or rushing tds than everybody but he's the most complete player in the nation... he returns punts and kickoffs, he lines up at receiver and is one of the best there, and when he lines up at rb he makes people miss and then outruns u to the endzone... every now and then he big faces u or lowers his shoulder and runs u over

IHStangFan
11-14-2004, 05:42 PM
Auburn & USC

Outcome: Auburn will stomp a mudhole in USC and become National Champs.

LH Panther Mom
11-14-2004, 07:05 PM
Russ, you should've allowed two options for voting. :( We can only vote for one team. So, should the vote be for the "real" number 1 or the "real" number 2 team? :confused:

Bulldog_12
11-14-2004, 08:07 PM
OU may have a championship offense, but a VERY lackluster D. Like the proverbial saying goes, Offense brings the crowds, defense wins championships! USC and Auburn for National Championship with USC winning it in a close one. Gotta stick with my original bet saying USC goes unbeaten this year.

Keith7
11-14-2004, 08:09 PM
YOU LEFT OFF CAL!!!!!

TheDOCTORdre
11-14-2004, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
YOU LEFT OFF CAL!!!!!
Due to Cal losing one game they cannot be considered in the conversation, although they lost to the #1 USC, then you also have to put UT into this poll because their loss comes to #2 OU, this poll is just of the unbeatens

Keith7
11-14-2004, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre
Due to Cal losing one game they cannot be considered in the conversation, although they lost to the #1 USC, then you also have to put UT into this poll because their loss comes to #2 OU, this poll is just of the unbeatens

When Cal lost to USC they were at the 10 yard line throwing into the endzone to win the game at the end.. when UT lost to Oklahoma it wasnt even a contest.. Cal is also Ranked #4 in all the polls so they should at least be an option because they still have a shot to make it to the ship, although its a long shot, its still a better shot then Utah

big daddy russ
11-14-2004, 09:26 PM
When Cal lost to USC they were at the 10 yard line throwing into the endzone to win the game at the end.. when UT lost to Oklahoma it wasnt even a contest.. Cal is also Ranked #4 in all the polls so they should at least be an option because they still have a shot to make it to the ship, although its a long shot, its still a better shot then Utah
Utah's unbeaten and whipped A&M, which took it to OU and beat the snot out of OSU. They haven't been challenged all year long. Not by A&M, not by North Carolina, and not by San Jose State (see Boise State). That's a pretty good resume, although not enough in my opinion to warrant a National Championship berth. I've always thought they were overrated, but you can't argue the facts with your opinions.

Cal was given 60 minutes to win that game. They didn't, even if they were on the 10. By the same token, A&M killed themselves against OU while outplaying the Sooners (just like Cal outplayed the Trojans). Still, they were given 60 minutes to decide the outcome of the game, they knew what they had to do. The outcome was on the scoreboard.

Keith7
11-14-2004, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Utah's unbeaten and whipped A&M, which took it to OU and beat the snot out of OSU. They haven't been challenged all year long. Not by A&M, not by North Carolina, and not by San Jose State (see Boise State). That's a pretty good resume, although not enough in my opinion to warrant a National Championship berth. I've always thought they were overrated, but you can't argue the facts with your opinions.

Cal was given 60 minutes to win that game. They didn't, even if they were on the 10. By the same token, A&M killed themselves against OU while outplaying the Sooners (just like Cal outplayed the Trojans). Still, they were given 60 minutes to decide the outcome of the game, they knew what they had to do. The outcome was on the scoreboard.

Cal plays a harder schedule then Utah, end of story.. If Utah and Cal played eachother do u honestly thing Utah would beat them?? I hope you say no..

and if your gonna do the A to B, B to C, C to A comparisons.. how about these...

Cal beat Air Force by 42
Utah only beat Air Force by 14

Cal beat Arizona by 38
Utah only beat Arizona by 17

big daddy russ
11-14-2004, 10:17 PM
And I still think everybody overrates USC. The secondary has major holes and the defense looks ten times better than what it really is because of two reasons:

1. The defensive line makes up for for everyone else's mistakes and...

2. ...they play in the Pac-10, which is the most overrated conference in the nation. The only teams USC has played that are worth a darn are Cal and Arizona State. The Big XII South makes up for the crappiness of the North and the SEC is the best conference in the nation.

There's a reason Aaron Rogers completed 90% of his passes against the Trojans. On offense (OK, this is nitpicking... they have a great offense) they have four possession receivers and no real big threat on the outside to take the ball to the house. That's why Reggie Bush is their second-leading receiver. I'd actually put USC third behind 1. Auburn and 2. OU. Oklahoma's defense has some huge holes, but White's a smarter QB with a quicker release and faster feet than Leinart. That Trojan line would be neutralized against him, just like it was against Rogers. I know Auburn's offense has the same dilemma on the outside but they're a more complete team throughout and their RB duo, IMO, makes them a more dangerous and consistent offense than USC.

IHStangFan
11-14-2004, 10:23 PM
agreed Russ.......hey DLers, yall wanna know the BEST part of all of this....Russ is no bandwagon jumper....he's been an Auburn fan for as long as i can remember...hell...we used to rag on him when they were a .....how should i say...."sub-standard" team, but he kept his faith in his team and would just say things like "ah well...i'm a loyal fan" and "they'll come around someday" well..that day seems to be a hand......good luck to Auburn!

SintonFan
11-14-2004, 10:27 PM
What gets me is that I voted for Utah:o and it didn't count how is that?!?
IT'S THE FRIGGIN BCS SYSTEM BABY! THEY WON'T ALLOW MY VOTE FOR UTAH!!!!!!!!:mad: :mad: :mad: http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0304/fragend/confused-smiley-008.gif:D

TheDOCTORdre
11-14-2004, 10:28 PM
Ah, what the hell does it matter what we think they all problably finish undefeated and the teams that dont make the national championship game cry foul while those that are in the game have no quarrels against the BCS while most of the nation complains and asks for a playoff system, same song different verse

big daddy russ
11-14-2004, 10:37 PM
Cal plays a harder schedule then Utah, end of story.. If Utah and Cal played eachother do u honestly thing Utah would beat them?? I hope you say no...
Nope, I sure don't. But that 9-0 sure makes a better argument than 8-1.

...and if your gonna do the A to B, B to C, C to A comparisons.. how about these...

Cal beat Air Force by 42
Utah only beat Air Force by 14

Cal beat Arizona by 38
Utah only beat Arizona by 17
Basically, Cal doesn't belong in the argument if USC is there. That's all I'm saying. There's no way I'd rate them above the Trojans if the Trojans are undefeated and beat them, and there's no way anyone else should vote for Cal over the Trojans. Because this is a poll for the best team (and we'll see which two get the most votes at the end of it all), it was the four undefeateds. If you want to get technical, I'd put UT right there with Cal, and Michigan right there with both of them. With only one choice, how would you vote?

IHStangFan
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre
Ah, what the hell does it matter what we think they all problably finish undefeated and the teams that dont make the national championship game cry foul while those that are in the game have no quarrels against the BCS while most of the nation complains and asks for a playoff system, same song different verse you know THATS right Doc!!

Keith7
And I still think everybody overrates USC. The secondary has major holes and the defense looks ten times better than what it really is because of two reasons:

1. The defensive line makes up for for everyone else's mistakes and...

2. ...they play in the Pac-10, which is the most overrated conference in the nation. The only teams USC has played that are worth a darn are Cal and Arizona State. The Big XII South makes up for the crappiness of the North and the SEC is the best conference in the nation.

There's a reason Aaron Rogers completed 90% of his passes against the Trojans. On offense (OK, this is nitpicking... they have a great offense) they have four possession receivers and no real big threat on the outside to take the ball to the house. That's why Reggie Bush is their second-leading receiver. I'd actually put USC third behind 1. Auburn and 2. OU. Oklahoma's defense has some huge holes, but White's a smarter QB with a quicker release and faster feet than Leinart. That Trojan line would be neutralized against him, just like it was against Rogers. I know Auburn's offense has the same dilemma on the outside but they're a more complete team throughout and their RB duo, IMO, makes them a more dangerous and consistent offense than USC.

you got a point, but i still believe that Cal would give any of those 4 teams a good game... I was looking at those teams pass defenses and Auburn's is great.. they only give up 140 yards per game passing.. as opposed to USC's 190..

big daddy russ
11-14-2004, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
What gets me is that I voted for Utah:o and it didn't count how is that?!?
IT'S THE FRIGGIN BCS SYSTEM BABY! THEY WON'T ALLOW MY VOTE FOR UTAH!!!!!!!!:mad: :mad: :mad: http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0304/fragend/confused-smiley-008.gif:D
LOL

Keith7
11-14-2004, 10:40 PM
Nope, I sure don't. But that 9-0 sure makes a better argument than 8-1.

Basically, Cal doesn't belong in the argument if USC is there. That's all I'm saying. There's no way I'd rate them above the Trojans if the Trojans are undefeated and beat them, and there's no way anyone else should vote for Cal over the Trojans. Because this is a poll for the best team (and we'll see which two get the most votes at the end of it all), it was the four undefeateds. If you want to get technical, I'd put UT right there with Cal, and Michigan right there with both of them. With only one choice, how would you vote?

I'd vote for Cal.. I think they'd beat USC if they played again, and would give those other 2 teams a run for thier money.. just my opinion though

do u know who the only team to beat USC in the past 2 years is??

big daddy russ
11-14-2004, 10:42 PM
you got a point, but i still believe that Cal would give any of those 4 teams a good game... I was looking at those teams pass defenses and Auburn's is great.. they only give up 140 yards per game passing.. as opposed to USC's 190..
Oh yeah, they're the only two teams in the Pac-10 that really carry the conference. Arizona State basically has Walters doing everything on that team (one man just isn't enough in Division I football) and everyone else is mediocre this year. Cal would probably win all but three NCAA conferences. Unfortunately, they play in one of them.

big daddy russ
11-14-2004, 10:43 PM
I'd vote for Cal.. I think they'd beat USC if they played again, and would give those other 2 teams a run for thier money.. just my opinion though

do u know who the only team to beat USC in the past 2 years is??
Yup.:D :D :D

I hate USC.

Keith7
11-14-2004, 10:44 PM
Oh yeah, they're the only two teams in the Pac-10 that really carry the conference. Arizona State basically has Walters doing everything on that team (one man just isn't enough in Division I football) and everyone else is mediocre this year. Cal would probably win all but three NCAA conferences. Unfortunately, they play in one of them.

just count 1 write in vote for Cal and i'll be happy you win this arguement.. you should be proud thats never happened before.. I feel ashamed :(

IHStangFan
11-14-2004, 10:45 PM
Yup. But that was two years ago.:D :D :D

I hate USC. i hate onions & tomatos on my burgers, but i LOVE pico de gallo. :crazy:

big daddy russ
11-14-2004, 10:56 PM
just count 1 write in vote for Cal and i'll be happy you win this arguement.. you should be proud thats never happened before.. I feel ashamed :(
Sounds good, Keith.

Originally posted by IHStangFan
i hate onions & tomatos on my burgers, but i LOVE pico de gallo. :crazy:
Just saying that it wasn't my team... Auburn lost both years.

IHStangFan
11-14-2004, 10:58 PM
Sounds good, Keith.

Just saying that it wasn't my team... Auburn lost both years. no bro..i wasnt saying anything about you hating USC...so do i...i was just making a random joke and saying I was crazy..not you, LOL.

big daddy russ
11-14-2004, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Russ, you should've allowed two options for voting. :( We can only vote for one team. So, should the vote be for the "real" number 1 or the "real" number 2 team? :confused:
Sorry for getting back to you so late... vote for the best team. If you think USC should be number one, vote for them. If you think Utah should be number one, vote for them. At the end, we'll just see who the top two vote-getters were.

big daddy russ
11-14-2004, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
no bro..i wasnt saying anything about you hating USC...so do i...i was just making a random joke and saying I was crazy..not you, LOL.
LOL