PDA

View Full Version : State Champion Gainesville VS Decatur Round II

Chief Woodman
11-13-2004, 02:44 PM
State Champ Gainesville VS Decatur
By Chief Woodman, Decatur reporter

Gainesville is the only remaining defending State Champions in 3A football this year. They will remain State Champs until someone beats them in the playoffs, if that is even possible. The Leopards have a good offense and Coach Cordell has a knack for devising defensive schemes that can hold in check any aerial assault, including last year’s dynamic duo of McGee and Shipley from Burnet. Add to that the revenge factor from this seasons 58-23 embarrassment at the hands of Decatur and you have a Leopard team that will be playing their best game. Defeating any good team twice in one year is a difficult challenge for anyone to accomplish.

In the first meeting this year Gainesville was last years undefeated 3A State Champions. Winners of 15 straight games, the red machine was rolling. In many of the 15 games opponents had thought they had a scheme or the talent to stop running back star Terrius Purvey and the lightning fast speed of Gainesville. All were wrong and failed to do so. Gainesville had never lost a game since Purvey became a starter. That abruptly ended. Decatur was up 14-0 with just two offensive plays and Gainesville had not even touched the ball on offense. Yet Gainesville’s offense proved to be tough to stop as they quickly scored on their first two drives making the score 14-14. It was beginning to look like the scoring might never end. That is when the Decatur defensive coaches made some adjustments, including putting Brian Christian in at safety. Gainesville never scored another TD until late in the 4th quarter. Key stats from that game were Decatur QB Chandler Dane going 17-25 414 yards 6 TD 1 INT, his only INT of the season. Dane was 13-20 for 284 yards and 5 TD’s with one interception in the first half alone. WR Brian Christian had 10 catches for 204 yards 3 TD’s. Decatur RB Godboldt had 9 rushes 97 yards and 1 reception scoring 2 TD’s. WR J Jones had 4 catches for 125 yards and 1 TD. For Gainesville, Purvey went 16-89 yards and zero TD’s. J Hewitt went 14- 102 and 1 Td with QB T Sutton going 4-17 109 2 TD 1 int.

That was then, this is now. Gainesville has improved a lot. In the first meeting only one or two starters from last year’s championship team were on the field. They were young, and injured (All-state LB) and sick (Purvey had the flu AND a injured ankle). They are now more experienced and are once again district champs. The all-state LB is playing, and Purvey is healthy. They are also hungry for revenge and a chance to prove that the first game was a fluke. Look for them to play much, much better.

But Decatur did not get worse since that game. They had a brand new “O” line and an untested RB in Godboldt who played that game injured as well. His stats for the season (10 yards per carry and over 150 yards per game on offense not including several long kick returns) should be comparable to Purveys, even on a per game basis (Purvey missed a few games). Dane is now 4th all-time yardage QB in the State, and Christian is now 3rd best all-time yardage WR in the State. The Defense has improved tremendously. They were young but are now very salty, giving up just 14 points a game. Their speed matches anything Gainesville has as was demonstrated in September. Decatur has played 7 playoff teams and are undefeated wining by an average score of 55-19 against them.

Should we expect the same score? I do not think so. Gainesville is healthy and much improved. Decatur’s speed will not surprise them this time around. Decatur cannot expect for things to be as easy as last time, and should be prepared to play from behind some in this game. Should we expect the same result, meaning the same winner? I think so, but that is just my opinion. Decatur has the speed, talent and confidence to win in a slugfest, either in a high scoring game or a low scoring game. Gainesville and Decatur should both know it would take their best effort to win this game. They have little room for error. Despite the outcome, here are hopes for an injury free game on both sides.

Keys to victory

Gainesville

1. Have several long sustained scoring drives. You must keep the high octane “O” of the Eagles off the field as much as possible.
2. Do not become overconfident if you get ahead. Lighting comes fast if you lose concentration.
3. Do not let it get in your head if you fall 20 or more behind. You can score from anywhere on the field as well.
4. Make something happen on special teams.
5. Play for field position. Make Decatur go a long way for each score.
6. Score at least 30 points, which no one has done yet against Decatur.
7. Hold Decatur to under 30 points, which has only happened once this season.

Decatur

1. Do not let the last meeting influence you. That was then, this is now.
2. Don’t be surprised if you have to play from behind. Be steady and don’t panic.
3. Do not be disappointed if you do not score on over 50% of your possessions like you usually do.
4. Defense must string Purvey to the sidelines. Great speed and the angle will help you.
5. Hold Gainesville to under 30 points, which has happened six times this year.
6. Score at least 30 points, which you have done every game but once this year.

Chief Woodman
11-13-2004, 02:56 PM
And by the way...do not think that I am overconfident. I full well know that Gainesville is more than capable of reversing the score on Decatur. Whatever happens, the victory will be hard earned next Friday night as neither team is lacking in talent, coaching or hustle. This will be a battle and the loser should not hang their heads. It is no shame to lose to the current defending State champs, and it should be no shame in losing to the talent on Decatur's side of the ball. Good luck to both teams.

(But I still want the Eagles to win)

Bullaholic
11-13-2004, 03:01 PM
Good analysis job, Chief....I can go with this, and you gave it the Fox News treatment---Fair and Balanced. It is amazing to me how much Decatur and GVille posters agree on each team's capabilities---you just express it a little differently, and point-counter-point arguments are great without degenerating into the pure "smack" area. Good teams with great fans on both sides playing at a brand-new world-class facillity 30 mi. from either team in an encore playoff game---this next game is really going to live up to its billing---I can "feel" it in the air already.

Chief Woodman
11-13-2004, 03:07 PM
I really do try to be fair and balanced. Sometime the love for home creeps in as it does for anyone. I am no fool - Gainesville is very, very dangerous and with the revenge factor added in? This is no doubt the toughest game Decatur has faced all year.

Keith7
11-13-2004, 03:08 PM
I like the report.. do you write for the paper?? or was that a Downlow exclusive???

Bullaholic
11-13-2004, 03:13 PM
One big key, Keith...does GVille have any DB's that can run with and cover Christian, and "pound" him after he catches the ball. Nobody yet has been able to do this and he has killed everybody with big YAC yards.

HighSchool Fan
11-13-2004, 03:15 PM
Hewitt can definatly run with him. I don't think he's big enough to "pound" him.

Keith7
11-13-2004, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
One big key, Keith...does GVille have any DB's that can run with and cover Christian, and "pound" him after he catches the ball. Nobody yet has been able to do this and he has killed everybody with big YAC yards.

I havnt seen either team play all year but my guess is they have the DB's that can run w/ him but the rest will be key.. I am guessing Decatur sees up to triple coverage on Christian this game like they did against shipley last year.. and another big Key is that the safetys cannot let anyone over the top, and allow the big play, Friends have told me that was a big problem the Gainesville defense had the first time around..

Chief Woodman
11-13-2004, 03:18 PM
Thank Keith. I write for some things some times, but for now it is just the down low and the wisecounty website (don't know if I can give the addy because it violates rules here). I would really love to see you or a lepfan give a preview here from the Gainesville prespective. The intellectual discussion would be great.

And NO! I do not intend on this getting into smack talk. I truly think that mutual respect does not exclude promoting your teams and you opponents good points and being honest about our opponents and your own weaknesses. Hope to meet as many downlowers at the game as possible. Where is the shirt?...lol

HighSchool Fan
11-13-2004, 03:20 PM
I know it's a few days away, on thursday the Gainesville newspaper will have a preview of the game.

Bullaholic
11-13-2004, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by HighSchool Fan
Hewitt can definatly run with him. I don't think he's big enough to "pound" him.

This could be a factor, HSFan, Christian can really RAC well and is strong. Decatur likes to "dictate" with their "D" to your "O". On offense, Decatur analyzes your "D" sets and then selects the weapon to hit you where you "ain't", and they've got enough talented skill position people to do this. The Bulls had some success against Decatur by playing a "soft" "D" and not going after Dane. Most teams have made a big mistake by going after Dane with the blitz. Big mistake. Dane "slips" the rush as well as anybody and then throws the completion into the holes left by your rush, or hands off to Godboldt on the draw. They like, and execute well, the screens.

Chief Woodman
11-13-2004, 03:23 PM
They tried Purvey and Hewitt covering Christian in game one. Neither could cover him. If you double or triple him Decatur has many other receivers that will hurt you. Look at the stats from game 1 about Jones. Let him or Cobb or Simmons lose.....they WILLl burn you. Or they turn to Godboldt because 3 guys are occupied. Dane does not lock onto Christain, he looks for the open guy.

Keith7
11-13-2004, 03:26 PM
I know it was a scrimmage but Iowa Park has been said to of had success not blitzing at all..

Keith7
11-13-2004, 03:28 PM
here is the early weather forecast.. if this holds up it might be wet from the night before, but other hten that, weather should not be a factor besides it being cold

Day

Partly Cloudy High
65°F

Precip
20%

Wind: WNW 9 mph
Max. Humidity: 74%
UV Index: 3 Moderate

Sunrise: 7:03 AM CT
Avg. High: 63°F
Record High: 87°F (1949)

Night

Partly Cloudy Overnight Low
47°F

Precip
20%

Wind: NW 5 mph
Max. Humidity: 80%

Sunset: 5:24 PM CT
Avg. Low: 42°F
Record Low: 18°F (1951)

Bullaholic
11-13-2004, 03:35 PM
Keith....can the Leps throw well when they need to. Last night they threw "out" routes pretty well, but threw practically nothing "up" the field, save one post pattern that scored from about 30 yds. I realize they probably didn't because their ground game was working very well.

HighSchool Fan
11-13-2004, 03:40 PM
if it comes to Gainesville having to throw downfield alot, then they will lose. Even though they run a spread offense, it is a ball control offense. Run the ball and keep the clock moving.

black&blue
11-13-2004, 05:10 PM
This just in--the Decatur vs. Gainesville game will be held at SLC at 7:30 on Friday the 19th. Decatur is the home team...Hopefully I can make it back from Oxford in time, it should be a great one.

Keith7
11-13-2004, 05:14 PM
someone should try to get the shirt for this game

HighSchool Fan
11-13-2004, 05:17 PM
that's a good stadium but a bad location for this game. denton or lake dallas would of been much better.

Flourhead
11-13-2004, 06:37 PM
unless that all state linebacker can cover every receiver, decatur should win

Flourhead
11-13-2004, 06:41 PM
with that said, a healthy purvery will score whenever he gets the ball

Chief Woodman
11-13-2004, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
someone should try to get the shirt for this game

I would be glad to do the shirt thing. But I think it is already scheduled to be somewhere this week. I do have the time and means to go it WHEREVER it is and even DELIVER it next week. No postman required. (Those stamps are tricky little things!)

Leopards,class of 75
11-13-2004, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by black&blue
This just in--the Decatur vs. Gainesville game will be held at SLC at 7:30 on Friday the 19th. Decatur is the home team...Hopefully I can make it back from Oxford in time, it should be a great one. I was hoping for the game to be played in Denton. Does anyone have directions to S.L.C. coming from Gainesville and about how long it should take to get there?

statebound
11-13-2004, 07:47 PM
im not sure if that SLC info is correct-- Star telegram has it a 7:30 Fri at Lake Dallas and Coach Story was saying the same last night

black&blue
11-13-2004, 07:52 PM
Hey statebound dont u think its possible that the info could've shanged since last nite??? The Lake Dallas thing was just a tentative location given before any agreement was reached between the two teams...But i guess you can go ahead and go to Lake Dallas anyway, im gonna be in South Lake to watch the game

Chief Woodman
11-13-2004, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by Leopards,class of 75
I was hoping for the game to be played in Denton. Does anyone have directions to S.L.C. coming from Gainesville and about how long it should take to get there?

Easy as pie. Three simple steps.

1 Call the A-Train at SMU and have him call Char Char Binks for you.

2. Meet the A-train near DFW and go to the game with him.

3. It will take about 10 minutes longer than going to DFW airport. (It is just a few miles from there). Hope to see ya there.

black&blue
11-13-2004, 08:06 PM
LOL...yeah the A-Train is always a reliable mode of transportation...Our last day of school is on Fri. Hopefully we'll get back in time to catch the game...Maybe I'll see you there Chief

Keith7
11-13-2004, 08:15 PM
I was hoping for the game to be played in Denton. Does anyone have directions to S.L.C. coming from Gainesville and about how long it should take to get there?

this should help you

http://www.mapquest.com/directions/main.adp?go=1&do=nw&un=m&2tabval=address&1n=COOKE+COUNTY&cl=EN&ct=NA&1v=ZIP&1tabval=address&1y=US&1a=&1c=GAINESVILLE&1s=TX&1z=76240&1ah=&2y=US&2a=1085+S+KIMBALL+AVE&2c=SOUTHLAKE&2s=TX&2z=76092-9008&2ah=&idx=0&id=4196b086-00375-054f6-400c3310&aid=4196b086-00376-054f6-400c3310

Chief Woodman
11-13-2004, 08:18 PM
LOL...yeah the A-Train is always a reliable mode of transportation...Our last day of school is on Fri. Hopefully we'll get back in time to catch the game...Maybe I'll see you there Chief

Hope to see you there if you are not tired from flying in (Flapping your arms) to get here. If I can help let me know.

black&blue
11-13-2004, 08:20 PM
haha yeah i get to drive...speed limits may be broken

Bigbuck
11-13-2004, 10:30 PM
Awwe the A-Train, How's he doing at SMU, is he redshirt?

Leopard Class of 75, A-Train is your cousin right?
Oh, and I'll give you directions to SLC stadium at work next week. The stadium is a top notch facility.

KTJ
11-13-2004, 10:40 PM
Can we petition to have this game aired on ESPN so I can watch it in Austin?! :D

Leopards,class of 75
11-13-2004, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
this should help you

http://www.mapquest.com/directions/main.adp?go=1&do=nw&un=m&2tabval=address&1n=COOKE+COUNTY&cl=EN&ct=NA&1v=ZIP&1tabval=address&1y=US&1a=&1c=GAINESVILLE&1s=TX&1z=76240&1ah=&2y=US&2a=1085+S+KIMBALL+AVE&2c=SOUTHLAKE&2s=TX&2z=76092-9008&2ah=&idx=0&id=4196b086-00375-054f6-400c3310&aid=4196b086-00376-054f6-400c3310 Thanks Keith for the map quest info. I will print this up so i will have it ready for friday night.

Chief Woodman
11-14-2004, 08:54 AM
Thanks Keith for the map quest info. I will print this up so i will have it ready for friday night.

Hey! You didn't like MY idea? I AM wounded:(

Chief Woodman
11-15-2004, 05:49 PM
Well?

black&blue
11-15-2004, 08:42 PM
Hey chief, what do u think is the best way to get to SLC if im coming in from Texarkana??

Tidal Wave
11-16-2004, 12:16 AM
http://www.feebleminds-gifs.com/tiger5.gif

GO GAINESVILLE!!:D

slpybear the bullfan
11-16-2004, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by Chief Woodman
Thank Keith. I write for some things some times, but for now it is just the down low and the wisecounty website (don't know if I can give the addy because it violates rules here).

Not a violation Chief... I have posted that link to the website in the past...

To all: Chief and Slpy and some other good posters can also be found at...

www.fridaynightfever.net

Keith7
11-16-2004, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by EaglesRule
Are you guys kidding?? Decatur will win this one easy. They have already proven that Gainesville cannot hold thier jock. Gainesville state champs ha ha. Decatur is the new State Champs.

Decatur 60
Gainesville 10

!!!!!GO DECATUR!!!!!

some cocky posters over there arnt there?? but hey there is a few in every bunch

Chief Woodman
11-16-2004, 12:41 AM
Hey I didn't write that. I go by the super secret pen name of Chief woodman there. OOPS! Doggone it I told ya now......

Chief Woodman
11-16-2004, 12:42 AM
Hey chief, what do u think is the best way to get to SLC if im coming in from Texarkana??

Wow! Let me think and reply tomorrow...it has been a really long day.

slpybear the bullfan
11-16-2004, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by Chief Woodman
Hey I didn't write that. I go by the super secret pen name of Chief woodman there. OOPS! Doggone it I told ya now......

LOL...

Bullaholic
11-16-2004, 08:46 PM
Seems like some sites feel that Decatur will win this by 7 or so, with one site saying Eagles by 22. Talk to more and more people everyday planning to see this one. The possibility of an upset by GVille seems to have a few more supporters also. I'm still going with Decatur by 7-14.

Chief Woodman
11-16-2004, 10:37 PM
I don't care if the Eagles win by one. JUST DO IT!