PDA

View Full Version : Caldwell 30-Navasota 24 OT

CHS_Grad '85
11-13-2004, 12:41 AM
Man what a game... thanks Rattlers for an exciting game... there was a point when it was tied that I thought I was going to barf... my head was spinning - I was sick to my stomache... but the Hornets pulled it out... WOW!!!

Again - thanks Rattlers excellant game...

44INAROW
11-13-2004, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by CHS_Grad '85
Man what a game... thanks Rattlers for an exciting game... there was a point when it was tied that I thought I was going to barf... my head was spinning - I was sick to my stomache... but the Hornets pulled it out... WOW!!!

Again - thanks Rattlers excellant game...

30-21 that is unusal OT score.. did Caldwell score on Navasota's possession?>

HornetMom
11-13-2004, 12:45 AM
Yes, Navasota had first possession, fumbled the ball, and Freddy Williams picked it up and ran it in for a touchdonwn.

chs_cheer06
11-13-2004, 12:53 AM
OH MY FRIGGIN GOSH!! that has to be the best game of my life!! Good win for the Hornets now on to either Madisonville or Waco Connally!!

The Hornets SWARMED over the Rattlers!!
Way to go guys!!

LH Panther Mom
11-13-2004, 12:54 AM
Congrats, Caldwell! Sounds like a great game!

CHSBaseball07
11-13-2004, 12:54 AM
Great game...at one point i was bout to leave b/c i was FREEZING...but i stuck it out.......found a blanket........shared it w/ many people...and watched us win a GREAT game....the BIGGEST win in Caldwell in a LONG TIME.....GOOD GAME GUYS!

CHS_CG
11-13-2004, 12:55 AM
Yup thats our boy! Way to go Hornets! Yall played a great game. I have to say Chris Smith is a very fine player, he made sure he shook every one of our players hands.. On the way to run down Freddy Navasota's #60 was hurt but I am not sure what happened or how he his.. If a Navasota poster here will ya let us know please!

collegeboy7
11-13-2004, 01:13 AM
I had no idea Martin was tht friggan quik , all i hav to say is great game Martin and Smith but Congrats to the horntes becuz theygot th Job done Kendrick Pittman and Freddy Williams were sensational and also way to step up J Scott , but none the least the defense did a great job back boned by Estes , and great Job by the fans to suport and stick behind the guys 100% Caldwell has established a 12th man GO HORNETS! more wins in the future

HornetMom
11-13-2004, 01:42 AM
Hats off to Navasota. It was a hard fought game and stayed close all night. Practically score for score. Navasota's Martin and Smith, you guys were awesome.

Caldwell great win, on to next week and Waco Connally or Madisonville.

faithfuldog
11-13-2004, 02:30 AM
Big win Hornets! Sounds like a great game... Keep on pushing.

CheerMom
11-13-2004, 07:25 AM
My heart goes out to all the Rattlers!!! I didn't get a chance to listen on the radio(no reception), but was defintely pulling for ya'll via mental telepathy. I just knew that this was your year. By the way it sounds, ya'll gave them an excellant game. I wouldn't have expected anything less.
Be proud and never let anything get you down. Ya'll have something that very few have, and that is class!! Keep your heads up because ya'll are definitely special!!

Go Raiders!!!:cheerl: :cheerl: :cheerl:

rhs78
11-13-2004, 07:44 AM
great win hornets, good luck next week

HornetMom
11-13-2004, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by CheerMom
My heart goes out to all the Rattlers!!! I didn't get a chance to listen on the radio(no reception), but was defintely pulling for ya'll via mental telepathy. I just knew that this was your year. By the way it sounds, ya'll gave them an excellant game. I wouldn't have expected anything less.
Be proud and never let anything get you down. Ya'll have something that very few have, and that is class!! Keep your heads up because ya'll are definitely special!!

Go Raiders!!!:cheerl: :cheerl: :cheerl:

CheerMom, you are right. These guys have lots of class and they showed it after the game. Especially Chris Smith. BTW Rattlers, I hope #60 is okay.

Thanks for one of the most exciting games we've had. You guys gave us one heck of a fight.

CHS_Grad '85
11-13-2004, 10:25 AM
http://www.brazossports.com/football/photos/111304nav.jpg

Navasota’s Chris Smith mishandled the pitch on the option,
fumbling in overtime. Hornet linebacker Danny Deere was
defending Smith on the play.

November 13, 2004

Caldwell stuns No. 5 Navasota in overtime

By JASON ROSAS
Eagle Staff Writer

Navasota falls to Caldwell
Eagle photo/Patric Schneider

Caldwell’s Freddy Williams went from goat to hero in a matter of minutes.

Williams returned a Navasota fumble 80 yards for the game-winning touchdown in overtime as the Caldwell Hornets downed the fifth-ranked Navasota Rattlers 30-24 on Friday night at A&M Consolidated’s Tigerland Stadium in a Class 3A, Division I, bi-district playoff game.

With the game tied at 24 and the Hornets driving with 40 seconds left in regulation, Williams took a reverse 28 yards to the Rattler 20-yard line before Navasota safety Scott Martin stripped Williams of the ball and recovered the fumble. The field position would have set up at least a 37-yard field goal attempt by Matt Harper.

But Williams was able to redeem himself in overtime when his fumble return put Caldwell in the area round of the playoffs, where Caldwell (10-1) will face the winner of Waco Connally and Madisonville, who play on Saturday at 1 p.m. at Baylor’s Floyd Casey Stadium. Navasota finished the season with a 9-2 record.

“[Williams] took it down there [to the 20], but Martin just made a great play,” Caldwell head coach Rick Cobia said. “But, Freddy responded. The team gathered around him and I told him that it ain’t over. He then took it for the score. He is just a great athlete.”

From the opening drive, the game appeared destined to go to the team that had the last possession. Both offenses moved the ball at will.

The Caldwell offense rolled up 393 yards of offense, with 346 yards via the ground game. Kendrick Pittman rushed for 169 and two touchdowns on 20 carries and fellow Caldwell running back Justin Scott had 115 yards and a touchdown on 15 carries.

Navasota running back Chris Smith, who led the Brazos Valley in rushing with 1,724 yards during the regular season, rushed for 136 yards and two touchdowns on 28 carries.

Both teams were evenly matched, with strong running games pounding out methodical drives.

Pittman put the Hornets on the board first with 9:17 left in the first on a 5-yard run, capping a nine-play, 65-yard drive.

The drive was kept alive on a third-and-12 play when Caldwell quarterback Chris Sleeth hit Williams on a 28-yard pass that set the Hornets up at the 9-yard line.

The Rattlers responded with a very similar looking drive where Martin hooked up with Jermaine Williams on a 32-yard gain that set up a Smith 7-yard touchdown run with 4:51 left in the first.

The Hornets took the ensuing possession 80 yards in 14 plays to take a 14-7 lead with 10:03 left in the first half.

Scott was the beneficiary of the drive as he scored from the 1.

On Navasota’s next possession, Smith and Martin led the Rattlers down the field to set up an apparent 35-yard field goal by Fernando Espinoza.

But Navasota head coach Dan Burk called a fake field goal that paid dividends.

Martin, who was the holder for Espinoza, picked up the hold and broke a tackle in the back field. He found a wide-open Kerry Wheatfall at the 5-yard line for a touchdown that tied the game at 14-14 with 3:16 left in the first half.

Martin finished the game with 121 yards passing.

Navasota took its opening drive of the second half 67 yards to capture its first lead of the game on a Smith 3-yard touchdown run with 7:33 remaining in the third.

Caldwell was held out of the end zone on its next possession, and the Hornets had to settle for a 24-yard field goal with 4:38 left in the third to trail 21-17.

Navasota drove its next possession down to the Hornet 17-yard line and appeared to be headed in to take a 10-point lead on the first play in the fourth quarter.

But Freddy Williams came up with another big play, intercepting Martin in the end zone to turn the momentum back in the Hornets’ favor.

Caldwell then diced up the Rattlers defense with an 80-yard drive in just six plays. Pittman scored on a pitch around the left side for a 26-yard touchdown that gave the Hornets a 24-21 lead with 9:08 left in the game.

The Rattlers retaliated with another lengthy drive from their own 16 that took them inside the Hornets’ red zone.

But the Rattlers were forced to settle for a 27-yard Espinoza field goal with 2:39 left in the game.

There was just one punt in the game — a 58-yard punt by Pittman.

Navasota’s Jermaine Williams finished the game with three catches for 78 yards and Wheatfall had two catches for 30 yards.

• Jason Rosas’ e-mail address is jsr1646@yahoo.com.

BURNT ORANGE HORNET 86
11-13-2004, 10:26 AM
This was a grate game, the Hornets made the plays when they had to.

Ranger Mom
11-13-2004, 10:29 AM
Isn't #60 from Navasota one of our posters??

I believe he is the one who asked me to rom him until the season was over.

I'm gonna have to investigate further!!

NHSRattler60 is ROM (http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20305&highlight=NHSRattler60)

BURNT ORANGE HORNET 86
11-13-2004, 10:33 AM
Yes he is

CHS_Grad '85
11-13-2004, 10:33 AM
You know RangerMom - I believe you're right (as if I had any doubt)... He did ROM himself... he wanted to concentrate...

HornetMom
11-13-2004, 10:34 AM
Burnt Orange and CHS_Grad, we must all think along the same track. I almost posted the article at the same time. :D :D

CHS_Grad '85
11-13-2004, 10:37 AM
LOL... great minds thinking alike... well I have to run now... gotta go to work (A&M vs TT game :D) HornetMom - keep me posted on Cameron's game today... oh & the Madisonville/Connelly game too...

HornetMom
11-13-2004, 10:39 AM
You got it.

Insanity_Strikes_Again
11-13-2004, 10:48 AM
Wow, sounds like an extraordinary game! Nice picture as well.

HornetMom
11-13-2004, 10:57 AM
It was, I couldn't stay seated for more that a minute at a time, if that long. Good thing we always sit on the top row. :D

Bellville22
11-13-2004, 12:12 PM
Congrats to both teams on what must have been an outstanding game.

Another tough first round loss for the Rattlers. They've put together very good teams the past few years, but always seem to get a tough draw in that first round. Congrats to them on a fine season. Chris Smith showed me what a classy young man he was in the Bellville game, I wish him, and the rest of these young men, luck in the future on and off the field.

And hats off to Caldwell. I picked y'all to win by six, and while it was not a conventional way, you proved me right. The Hornets just beat a very good Rattler team, and they should be very proud of that. Best of luck to Caldwell throughout the rest of the playoffs.

HornetMom
11-13-2004, 12:28 PM
Thanks bellville22.

HornetMom
11-13-2004, 12:37 PM
Hey, ctplaya, good game last night. We are all proud of you guys. I don't think I sat down for more that 5 minutes the whole game. (except for half time)

pirate4state
11-13-2004, 01:05 PM
Good win Hornets!! I should've stuck with y'all in my Predict It! bracket. :( Congrats to the Rattlers on a great season! :clap: Good Luck to the Hornets next week! :)

CHS_CG
11-13-2004, 01:37 PM
OK so we figured out he is an ex poster but is he ok... I felt really bad bc usually our fans and team is really good about being quite when somebody is hurt but I dont we could stand to be quite when we won a game like that. I know he was hurt on the last play and i saw him try to get up and he fell back down. My mom said that he was on the chase for Freddy and she thinks he may have twisted his ankle but I am not sure I was watchin Freddy run that ball! Caldwell does hope he is ok though!

sinton66
11-13-2004, 01:44 PM
Congrats Hornets.

Ranger Mom
11-13-2004, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by CHS_CG
OK so we figured out he is an ex poster but is he ok... I felt really bad bc usually our fans and team is really good about being quite when somebody is hurt but I dont we could stand to be quite when we won a game like that. I know he was hurt on the last play and i saw him try to get up and he fell back down. My mom said that he was on the chase for Freddy and she thinks he may have twisted his ankle but I am not sure I was watchin Freddy run that ball! Caldwell does hope he is ok though!

Okay, I just got an IM from him, he said and I quote:

" tell everyone i hyperextened my knee in the second play against sealy, straining a ligament and that i just twisted my knee to trying hawk down #6..."

I have also sent a request to Matthew328 to have #60 reinstated so he can support some other teams!

HornetMom
11-13-2004, 11:38 PM
That is good news. I just had a PM from Rattlermom about it too, but she wasn't sure what happened.

NHSRattler60 we look forward to seeing you back on the DL. Ya'll gave a very exciting game. Congrats on a great season.

CHS_CG
11-13-2004, 11:47 PM
Thank you lol! I was wondering what was goin on with that! I hope his injury is ok! Cant wait to have him back!