PDA

View Full Version : Royse City 27 Kennedale 20

Keith7
11-13-2004, 12:16 AM
not sure if someone already posted this but here is your final

Keith7
11-13-2004, 12:19 AM
Royse City - 27 Kennedale - 20
CORINTH - Royse City coach Rodney Webb said he normally doesn't like to single out players when his team huddles together on the field after a game, win or lose.
But Webb made an exception for junior cornerback Jeremy Alexander, who knocked down a critical fourth-down pass by Kennedale quarterback Tommy Lee with 1:12 to play to preserve Royse City's 27-20 victory at Falcon Stadium in a Class 3A Division I Region II bi-district game.
It was the eighth victory in a row for District 9-3A champion Royse City (9-2), which will play Kaufman in next week's area round.
"There's nobody on our team who deserved to make the winning play more than Jeremy," Webb said. "He's had a tough year at times and a lot of teams threw his way, but he came up big when we needed him most. He saved my butt on that one."
On the previous possession, Royse City had an opportunity to put the game away when it faced a fourth-and-3 situation from the Kennedale 41-yard line. Instead of lining up and going for it or punting it deep, Webb gambled with a fake punt call, which was stuffed by Kennedale.
"There's not a player or a coach on this sideline that didn't think we were going to march down, score a touchdown, go for two and win after that," Kennedale coach Richard Barrett said. "I really thought we were going to win, but they made the play and we didn't. It's a frustrating way to end it."
Lee had already thrown for two touchdown passes, a 26-yard strike to Aaron LeBruce and a 25-yarder to Anthony Wickline. But after a potential game-tying drive stalled at the Royse City 15-yard line with 1:17 to play, Lee tried to hit LeBruce again in the left corner of the end zone.
Alexander was with LeBruce step for step and actually intercepted the pass, although he was ruled out of bounds by the sideline official.
Royse City needed only two kneel downs to run out the clock and close out the victory in its first playoff game since 1999.
"Our offense has carried us all year, but tonight it was up to the defense to win the game," Alexander said. "I had a feeling they were going to throw the ball my way, and I was in perfect position."
Both teams were able to run the ball effectively. Royse City quarterback James Mapps, who came into the game with 1,867 yards on the season, diced the Kennedale defense for 221 yards on 24 carries, including touchdown runs of 16, 2 and 44 yards.
Junior tailback Cameron Holliness added 107 yards on 11 carries and a 1-yard touchdown, as Royse City racked up 392 yards as a team.
"We really feel like we can run the ball on anybody," Webb said. "They had a great scheme against us tonight, but we kept plugging away and James and Cameron came up with some huge runs."
Kennedale (7-2) got 124 yards from fullback Weldon Brooks, whose 1-yard touchdown in the final minute of the first half made it 14-14.

Royse City 7 7 7 6 -- 27
Kennedale 0 14 6 0 -- 20

ROYS - James Mapps 16 run (Jesse Lopez kick)
KEN - Aaron LeBruce 26 pass from Tommy Lee (kick failed)
ROYS - Mapps 2 run (Lopez kick)
KEN - Weldon Brooks 1 run ( Jon Walker run)
ROYS - Cameron Holliness 1 run (Lopez kick)
KEN - Anthony Wickline 25 pass from Lee (kick blocked)
ROYS - Mapps 44 run (kick failed)
Statistic ROYS KEN
First downs 18 17
Rushing yards 43-392 52-283
Passing yards -1 60
Comp-att-int 1-2-0 3-6-1
Punts-avg 1-33.0 2-21.5
Penalties-yards 5-33 5-30
Fumbles-lost 2-0 1-0
INDIVIDUAL LEADERS
Rushing – ROYS: James Mapps 24-221, Cameron Holliness 11-107, Mason Morris 3-41, Jacob Garcia 4-26, TEAM 1-(-3). KEN: Weldon Brooks 22-124, Jon Walker 13-80, Tommy Lee 7-51, Cory Gray 9-31, Anthony Wickline 1-(-3).
Passing – ROYS: James Mapps 1-2-0-(-1). KEN: Tommy Lee 3-5-0-60, Aaron LeBruce 0-1-0-0.
Receiving – ROYS: Mitchell Martin 1-(-1). KEN: Aaron LeBruce 2-35, Anthony Wickline 1-25.

PPHSfan
11-13-2004, 12:21 AM
WTG Royse City.

You guys are the real deal.

You just keep getting better each week.

dogdad
11-13-2004, 02:52 AM
Kennedale played hard and were well prepared for us. My hat's off to their players and coaches. It was a great game.
Who let the dogs out?

Keith7
11-13-2004, 02:55 AM
Originally posted by dogdad
Kennedale played hard and were well prepared for us. My hat's off to their players and coaches. It was a great game.
Who let the dogs out?

hmm the baha men??

catdad
11-13-2004, 07:59 AM
Good luck against Kaufman next week, Dogdad. I hope ya'll go deep in the playoffs.

dogdad
11-13-2004, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by catdad
Good luck against Kaufman next week, Dogdad. I hope ya'll go deep in the playoffs.
thanks catdad
not many games that were better than KHS vs. RC last night
h.s. football at it's best