PDA

View Full Version : Wharton

Johnny Utah
11-12-2004, 11:11 AM
Not trying to stir anything up, just wondering. Wharton has athletes!!!! They are a very large 3a!!!! What is the deal????

IHStangFan
11-12-2004, 11:19 AM
i listened to the game last night....in the first half it was a track meet. second half Wharton had trouble moving the ball on Yoakum's D (who obviously stepped it up from the first half) and Yoakum's FB ran all over Wharton's D.

raider red 2000
11-12-2004, 11:22 AM
wharton does have good athletes....they are not a big school they are the 4th largest in the district...they ran into a good yoakum team.

Tidal Wave
11-12-2004, 11:23 AM
Who Will Wharton have coming back next year?

Johnny Utah
11-12-2004, 11:24 AM
They are a large 3a, were 4a not too long ago. I realize they are in a district with other large 3a's but come on!!!! I have watched them at the state track meet in the past and man they have speed!!!! Dont they have size as well???? Yoakum has tradition, but to beat them by 19?????

IHStangFan
11-12-2004, 11:24 AM
well, and as GOFOR2 pointed out earlier this week.....Yoakum is very disciplined...where as...Wharton isnt as much.

whtfbplaya
11-12-2004, 11:27 AM
The big guys are mostly just big and if you lose the battle upfront its hard to win the game.

Johnny Utah
11-12-2004, 11:27 AM
Disciplined???? How long has the coaching staff been there??? D1 athletes all over the place and cant win in the first round???

IHStangFan
11-12-2004, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by Johnny Utah
Disciplined???? How long has the coaching staff been there??? D1 athletes all over the place and cant win in the first round??? well to be honest...i can only speak for the Yoakum team..they have ALWAYS been very disciplined. they always have a way of gettin it done too....ALWAYS play very hard. theyve been a good team for several years now...they have just been overlooked.

raider red 2000
11-12-2004, 11:33 AM
once again what has wharton done to be undisciplined?

4a about 6 years ago...wharton would be the the the 3rd largest in half of the districts in region 4.

wharton does have great athletes....speed wise...as for size they have been the smaller team in alomst every game this year...they will be returning several people on O and on D.

wharton made some mistakes on O. yoakum played great defense. Wharton had some trouble on D. The team lost to a good yoakum team.

last year in track wharton was state runner up....have a chance to be good in BB and baseball and track.

good luck to the tigers.

GOFOR2
11-12-2004, 11:34 AM
Disciplined???? How long has the coaching staff been there??? D1 athletes all over the place and cant win in the first round???

I think what IHMustang might be saying is that in Yoakum the kids are prolly more willing to jump through hoops for the program than other programs like Wharton who prolly rely purely on athleticism. I really dont know, but it is disappointing to see them out so early with the talent they have.

Johnny Utah
11-12-2004, 11:36 AM
I think most teams play hard in the playoffs. I will agree that a more disciplined team will more than likely beat a non-disciplined team even if that team has more talent. Wharton scored 50 something on Cuero did they not???? WC must really be good!!! Good luck to Yoakum the rest of the way. I know a team like Marlin is very talented and they win all the time, Wharton has that kind of talent, or so I have heard!!!!

GOFOR2
11-12-2004, 11:38 AM
I think most teams play hard in the playoffs. I will agree that a more disciplined team will more than likely beat a non-disciplined team even if that team has more talent. Wharton scored 50 something on Cuero did they not???? WC must really be good!!! Good luck to Yoakum the rest of the way. I know a team like Marlin is very talented and they win all the time, Wharton has that kind of talent, or so I have heard!!!!

You're a small town newspaper dude arent you?

Johnny Utah
11-12-2004, 11:46 AM
Dude yes, small no!!! Viva Las Vegas!!!! Just wondering about why some very talented teams do not do as well as they should!!!! Manor-not even in the playoffs!!!! Wharton-one and done!!!! Vernon-no playoffs!!!!! Perryton-one and done!!! Canton-no playoffs!!!! Is it hard getting high school kids focused or what????

IHStangFan
11-12-2004, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by GOFOR2
I think what IHMustang might be saying is that in Yoakum the kids are prolly more willing to jump through hoops for the program than other programs like Wharton who prolly rely purely on athleticism. I really dont know, but it is disappointing to see them out so early with the talent they have. yeah, like i said above...i can really only speak for Yoakum...it may not be that Wharton isnt disciplined.....just that Yoakum kids are VERY disciplined and work harder than any group of kids ive ever watched. their coach says do it...and it gets done no questions asked. very dedicated kids. way to go Yoakum, great job.

Johnnypaycheck
11-12-2004, 11:55 AM
Manor is not in playoffs because their kids couldn't pass their classes...all of em were ineligable...

or that is what i heard was true

raider red 2000
11-12-2004, 12:03 PM
manor lost kids to grades...could we say that yoakum and wharton are more disciplined than manor then????

we could, but we shouldnt....it isnt right. i dont know manor kids or manor coaches or manor parents....i shouldnt judge people based on what i read here.

briefcase
11-12-2004, 12:04 PM
Roberts has done an excellent job with Wharton's discipline. That was the most disciplined Wharton team I have seen in a while. Give credit to Yoakum and their coaching staff, they played and coached a great game.

IHStangFan
11-12-2004, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by raider red 2000
manor lost kids to grades...could we say that yoakum and wharton are more disciplined than manor then????

we could, but we shouldnt....it isnt right. i dont know manor kids or manor coaches or manor parents....i shouldnt judge people based on what i read here. come on man...drop it...i already said "i can only speak for Yoakum" TWICE now. they ARE disciplined...i'm just making an observation. i really dont know WHAT the Wharton kids are like....but i cant help but wonder then...if they have so much atheleticism.....why did they get beat so convincingly? did they give up? were they outcoached in the second half? do they lack depth and they just got tired? i think that was the origional purpose of this thread....i believe Johnny was basically in shock that the Wharton team, w/ so much talent lost to the Yoakum team w/ a bunch of fairly average atheletes. i dont know what that says to YOU...but when a team w/ far superior atheletes looses to a team of "average" atheletes...its one of two things they were outcoached...or the "average" fellas play better as a team......which leads us back to discipline. its not a BAD thing, its just something that should be worked on....just as a team that might need to work on pass defense. i never meant you to take it as an insult.

chugbug
11-17-2004, 11:00 AM
When the Wharton Tigers hear the sound of basketballs hitting the gym floor they forget about football. It happens every year. They are one round wonders. :eek: :eek: :flamingma :eek: :eek: :eek:

GOFOR2
11-17-2004, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by chugbug
When the Wharton Tigers hear the sound of basketballs hitting the gym floor they forget about football. It happens every year. They are one round wonders. :eek: :eek: :flamingma :eek: :eek: :eek:

That is what i hear, and that is ashame.

raider red 2000
11-17-2004, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by chugbug

why do you care what happens in wharton? does it effect you ar make you feel better that these kids didnt win?

chugbug
11-18-2004, 09:41 AM
You are absolutely right I don't give a flip what happens in Wharton.:eek: :eek: :tongue: :eek: :eek: :eek:

whrtntig1
11-18-2004, 09:57 AM
The boys could have care less about b-ball.. all they wanted to do was go farther in play-offs. B-ball was NEVER an issue. It's upsetting though when our coach comes out in yesterday's paper and said that Wharton did not have talent players..they just worked hard, and kept repeating that. Guess thats CYA.

chugbug
11-18-2004, 10:12 AM
Wharton Tiger 1 it should upset you. If Wharton does not have any talent then nobody does. I cannot believe that the coaching staff thinks that. If they do , maybe it is time to clean house.:eek: :eek: :flamingma :eek: :eek: :eek:

FbCoachB40
11-18-2004, 10:53 AM
Believe it or not Wharton lost 7 Juco or DI athletes last year. The team this year has talent, but many of them have never played in a playoff game. Many were not on varsity at all last year. Most of the starters this year were kept on JV, because of the talent on the team last year.
What was the difference against Yoakum? I'll tell you. If you ask any coach that has an athletic team like Wharton, he will tell you that in order to win you must make big plays. The Wharton kids didn't stop playing in the second half, they just didn't make the big plays that they usually make. Lets give all the credit to that Yoakum defense. They have a GREAT coaching staff, but I didn't see any coaches pick passes, make big hits, or score touchdowns. I guarantee you that Coach Crow would tell you that the kids deserve all the credit. GOOD LUCK YOAKUM!! KEEP IT ROLLING!!