PDA

View Full Version : Poor Canton

Gsquared
11-12-2004, 10:26 AM
Go 8-2 and sit at home. Does anyone know if they lost the tb on points or what happened?

IHStangFan
11-12-2004, 10:30 AM
hey G2, i heard it was a coin toss. that DOES suck though..

Bullaholic
11-12-2004, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by Gsquared
Go 8-2 and sit at home. Does anyone know if they lost the tb on points or what happened?

Gsquared....it was a real hard luck story. Canton's only losses were both in district to Van and Tyler Chapel Hill. If they had lost to Chapel Hill by 3 points or less they would be in---Chapel Hill kicked a FG in the last 2 secs, and Canton lost 24-20. In order to go, Canton needed Lindale to beat Van in the last game---Van lost. Canton is probably a better team than many in the playoffs. Such is football.

Gsquared
11-12-2004, 10:38 AM
Its really sad. Look at this. 8-2 in this district doesnt make the playoffs, 3-7 in the district right next to it, MAKES the playoffs. What a swing. I think Cantons district was more of a gauntlet than anyone would have immagined at the beginning of the year.

Bullaholic
11-12-2004, 10:49 AM
Its really sad. Look at this. 8-2 in this district doesnt make the playoffs, 3-7 in the district right next to it, MAKES the playoffs. What a swing. I think Cantons district was more of a gauntlet than anyone would have immagined at the beginning of the year.

I had it wrong in my post, Gsquared....Van needed to , and should have beat Lindale in the final game, but Van lost. Go easy on those 3-7, teams...my Bulls got into the playoffs at 3-7. The best year we ever had in 2001, we were 5-5 going in. But you're right---the record shows not many sub .500 teams have ever gone very far in the playoffs. That is what I love about the Bulls---over the last 10 years they are probably one of the most exciting teams to watch in the state.

Gsquared
11-12-2004, 10:56 AM
Was that 2001 team the team that came back in the second half in South Lake to beat Kennedale. I was at that game and I still remember almost every snap! That was a good team. PD to Krebs was automatic!

Bullaholic
11-12-2004, 11:22 AM
Was that 2001 team the team that came back in the second half in South Lake to beat Kennedale. I was at that game and I still remember almost every snap! That was a good team. PD to Krebs was automatic!

I'm pretty poor on history, Gsquared, but I think you are correct. That team went to the semis and lost to a powerful Commerce team. PD to Krebs was a thing of beauty, and we've had almost similar combos in prior years to make things always exciting. Unfortunately for us, that kind of combo is now owned by our archrivals, the Decatur Eagles, with the Dane to Christian combo. By the way, Joseph Krebs is in the New York Yankees farm system now, and PD is up at Tech trying to make Leach's starting lineup.

Gsquared
11-12-2004, 11:27 AM
Thats right, it was Bridgeport vs Commerce at Pennington. I really think Bridgeport could have one that game, they just made too many mistakes.

Bullaholic
11-12-2004, 11:31 AM
Thats right, it was Bridgeport vs Commerce at Pennington. I really think Bridgeport could have one that game, they just made too many mistakes.

Commerce forced most of those mistakes---that was one of the most "physical" teams that we have ever faced. Aggressive, physically developed kids at nearly every position.

Gsquared
11-12-2004, 11:45 AM
That same year I went to Waco to see Commerce/La Grange in the finals. You guys played Commerce better than the Leopards did .

GreenMonster
11-12-2004, 12:17 PM
What's really sad, Canton was already gonna get beat 21-20 but Chapel Hill still ran the score up by kicking that field goal with 2 seconds left. I don't care if a play-off spot is on the line or not, that field goal is chicken$h!t and that coach should be ashamed. What lesson did he teach his athletes, that it is OK to step on anyone and anything to get what you want in life. What poor sportsmanship.

Bullaholic
11-12-2004, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
What's really sad, Canton was already gonna get beat 21-20 but Chapel Hill still ran the score up by kicking that field goal with 2 seconds left. I don't care if a play-off spot is on the line or not, that field goal is chicken$h!t and that coach should be ashamed. What lesson did he teach his athletes, that it is OK to step on anyone and anything to get what you want in life. What poor sportsmanship.

I had heard that account, GreenMonster, and that is poor if it was Chapel Hill coach's intent to kick the FG just to keep Canton out of the playoffs.

Gsquared
11-12-2004, 12:32 PM
Yeah but I would have had to do the same thing if I were on staff at CH. The district race was close and they probably knew it was going to come down to the point differential tie breaker. Id have to try and help my team make the playoffs anyway I could. It would have been different if CH kicked that with a 30 point lead or something.

GreenMonster
11-12-2004, 12:39 PM
They still should have knealt on it. If I were in their shoes I might have agreed with them but as an outsider looking in it looks really really bad. High school sports are about winning first and foremost, I understand this. Jobs are lost and families are run out of town over W's. But they were going to win already. It was morally wrong to kick that field goal. Sends a terrible message to your kids, your fans, and the rest of the state.

FootballChik98
11-12-2004, 03:09 PM
From my understanding, if Chapel Hill would not have kicked that field goal, they would have missed the playoffs by a one point differential. When Chapel Hill decided to kick the field goal with only two seconds left, I was wondering why they would do that, but even the Canton coach said he didn't blame them for doing it. I guess you have to do whatever is best for your team. I still thought that Canton should have the advantage over Lindale since they beat them in their head-to-head game, even if Lindale did beat Van. It has to be discouraging to go 8-2 and sit at home, especially for the seniors on the team.

LST_Terry
11-12-2004, 05:00 PM
If Chapel Hill does not kick the FG they are out of the play-offs by points. That is why Coach Norris did it, not to spite Canton, but to put themselves in the play-offs.

Bullaholic
11-12-2004, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by LST_Terry
If Chapel Hill does not kick the FG they are out of the play-offs by points. That is why Coach Norris did it, not to spite Canton, but to put themselves in the play-offs.

If that's the case, then nobody should have any problem with it. Good Luck in the playoffs!