PDA

View Full Version : Ref bashing

spiveyrat
11-12-2004, 10:09 AM
Is it just me, or does there seem to be more ref bashing on here this year than in years past? Some have been in tight games, but a lot of what I have seen were in blowouts that couldn't possibly be decided by the refs.

Bullaholic
11-12-2004, 10:15 AM
My 2 cents....there always has been and probably will always be, ref bashing. I don't think it's any worse now, I think we just have the means to hear about it more. It is a matter of degrees--bash the ref's decisions all you want, but never the ref personally. Some have a hard time making this distinction. Anyone who gets personal with a ref should be reprimanded and ejected. Most refs are great people, doing a hard job that few people want or appreciate. Ask any overzealous ref basher to officiate the next game, and I promise you will never get any "takers".

TXMike
11-12-2004, 10:26 AM
IMHO there is more bashing but that is because there are more folks on the internet so more people available to bash. The fact that some of us lurk around waiting to respond to the bashing probably just encourages some of the flamers.

The game is getting faster and more complicated so the opportunity for situations that call into question the officiating are to be expected. Most of us do not mind the legitimate questions and concerns but rants do little to make someone credible or to get them an answer.

scrub c
11-12-2004, 10:54 AM
are you working in victoria tonite txmike?

wildkat0507
11-12-2004, 10:57 AM
all i can say is dont let silsbee pick who is goona ref cuz whoever they got called a HORRIBLE game and i mean HORRIBLE game against kirbyville.

IHStangFan
11-12-2004, 10:58 AM
ah...i'd say its about 50/50....its a convienant excuse...but at the same time..there really ARE some chitty refs ou there from time to time. ask ANY Sinton or Ingleside fan that was at the game a few weeks ago.....the refs werent bias..they sucked BOTH ways.

TXMike
11-12-2004, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by scrub c
are you working in victoria tonite txmike?

I do not have that game but the crew that is going there is TOP NOTCH. You can bank on the fact that they will not be responsible for the game's outcome, it will be the teams who do that. Not saying things might happen that they do not see but if they do see something it will be dealt with correctly. And they are guys who know where they are supposed to be and you can count on them to be there to make the call. If I were a coach or fan I would be very comfortable with this crew.

spiveyrat
11-12-2004, 11:08 AM
Exhibit "A":

Originally posted by wildkat0507
all i can say is dont let silsbee pick who is goona ref cuz whoever they got called a HORRIBLE game and i mean HORRIBLE game against kirbyville.

IHStangFan
11-12-2004, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by spiveyrat
Exhibit "A": LOL spiv

BIGGBROTHER
11-12-2004, 11:22 AM
In all their are good and bad refs just like their are good and bad
players,coaches,and fans.
even concession stands
but the truth is
we do need more refs on the field
kids are getting faster and faster and more ruthless
which is great im happy to see soccer didnt affect our youth
in my opinion 2 more refs are needed on the field
one to watch the other refs to make sure they are doing their job
and one to watch the one watching the other refs
and giving him a swift kick if he doesnt do his job
and then the fans could yell at one person all night
and complain about one person all the next day

how much do refs get paid
i mean other than the hometeam stocking stuffer what do they get paid for real
maybe bad calls come from a need for attention
the uniforms thats it seriously who likes black and white on the same shirt since garth brooks played it out

hmmmm maybe matter of fact im going to ref school right now

where are my glasses?

GreenMonster
11-12-2004, 12:02 PM
my opinion on this matter: Professional officials that get paid large sums of money still have instant replay. To err is human. If the best officials in the world are expected to make mistakes (see instant replay above) then we should expect to see few mistakes in a high school game.

garageoffice
11-12-2004, 12:41 PM
Refs are just like any other group of folks. Most are about average, some are outstanding, and others are just poor. Most are honest (or at least try to be), but a few wield their authority...unwisely.

It usually balances out in the end. The shame is that there really are occasions when they get it wrong and it really does influence the outcome. Most of the refs I know believe in letting the game be decided on the field, not by the flag (especially when the playoffs start).

A lot of folks talk about the job they do, but most don't stop to think about why they do it. It takes a love of the sport to put in the extra time required to be a referee. Most people couldn't do it. They don't know the rules well enough, can't make the split-second judgements, and can't stand the heat.

All in all, most refs do a pretty good job and deserve our thanks. Without them the game couldn't be played!

:clap: :clap:

Underwater Basketweaver
11-12-2004, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by wildkat0507

All officials are mutually agreed upon by both teams. Rarely does a team choose the officials. Usually the officials chapter appoints a crew to officiate a game. At that point if one of the coaches from either team doesn't want those particular officials, then they can ask for another. It is almost always wrong to suspect homer officials in a Varsity game. Most of them are not from the town in which they officiate anyway, except maybe in metro areas. Most officials could care less who wins the game. Officials are human, and make mistakes, but it is rare that one does it on purpose.

Old No. 7
11-12-2004, 01:49 PM
Well i for one have heard more bashing this year than in the past. I've seen things this year that I've never seen before too. Just one ex. Going for a 1st down, the ball( on the opposit side of the field) was close enough for a 1st d. measure. A ref. picked up the ball and through it to another ref. who spotted it close to the hash mark. then brought the chain out to measure the first down. I saw that happen twice in my life and that was this year. I don't know where we heading. Maybe we need instant replay. Maybe let all the complainers pool their money and pay for it! :thinking: .......:D

Hupernikomen
11-12-2004, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by TXMike
IMHO there is more bashing but that is because there are more folks on the internet so more people available to bash. The fact that some of us lurk around waiting to respond to the bashing probably just encourages some of the flamers.

The game is getting faster and more complicated so the opportunity for situations that call into question the officiating are to be expected. Most of us do not mind the legitimate questions and concerns but rants do little to make someone credible or to get them an answer.

you would think with all that money you guys are making they could get some professional to come do one of the 500+ games each week..;)

cdlvj
11-12-2004, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by Old No. 7
Well i for one have heard more bashing this year than in the past. I've seen things this year that I've never seen before too. Just one ex. Going for a 1st down, the ball( on the opposit side of the field) was close enough for a 1st d. measure. A ref. picked up the ball and through it to another ref. who spotted it close to the hash mark. then brought the chain out to measure the first down. I saw that happen twice in my life and that was this year. I don't know where we heading. Maybe we need instant replay. Maybe let all the complainers pool their money and pay for it! :thinking: .......:D

Same thing happened in LG-Manor game this year.

cdlvj
11-12-2004, 02:32 PM
Years ago at SA MacArthur game(5a), saw it happen, Mac coaches had a fit, and argued but to no avail.

44INAROW
11-14-2004, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by TXMike
I do not have that game but the crew that is going there is TOP NOTCH. You can bank on the fact that they will not be responsible for the game's outcome, it will be the teams who do that. Not saying things might happen that they do not see but if they do see something it will be dealt with correctly. And they are guys who know where they are supposed to be and you can count on them to be there to make the call. If I were a coach or fan I would be very comfortable with this crew.

From a fan's prospective on the Cuero/WC game, I thought the Refs did a good job. I think maybe 50 yards total in penalties. We saw something you don't see everyday - a DELAY OF GAME penalty on the opening kickoff - Not sure if WC's kicker didn't hear the whistle or what -

VWG
11-14-2004, 01:25 PM
This isn't about the ref's but the jerk offs in the stands that yell at the kids on the field.
I am appalled at the actions of some idiots in the stands who berate the kids. These are the same guys that cheered them on during their route to the playoffs, and because they are overmatched or just have a bad night.... they get on them.
Same thing with the coaching staff. The best coach is always the idiot in the stands who hasn't had any experience on the field.
At one point last Friday I was about to turn around and say something to a couple of these losers. Why get on the kids that are out there bustin' their asses off and playing to the best of their ability?

TXMike
11-14-2004, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
From a fan's prospective on the Cuero/WC game, I thought the Refs did a good job. I think maybe 50 yards total in penalties. We saw something you don't see everyday - a DELAY OF GAME penalty on the opening kickoff - Not sure if WC's kicker didn't hear the whistle or what -

Although those were some good guys you had there, the small number of penalties is not due to the crew. Great teams typically play games with few penalties. And games between 2 very good teams are typically the easiest for us to work.

3afan
11-14-2004, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by BIGGBROTHER
In all their are good and bad refs just like their are good and bad
players,coaches,and fans.
even concession stands
but the truth is
we do need more refs on the field
kids are getting faster and faster and more ruthless
which is great im happy to see soccer didnt affect our youth
in my opinion 2 more refs are needed on the field
one to watch the other refs to make sure they are doing their job
and one to watch the one watching the other refs
and giving him a swift kick if he doesnt do his job
and then the fans could yell at one person all night
and complain about one person all the next day

how much do refs get paid
i mean other than the hometeam stocking stuffer what do they get paid for real
maybe bad calls come from a need for attention
the uniforms thats it seriously who likes black and white on the same shirt since garth brooks played it out

hmmmm maybe matter of fact im going to ref school right now

where are my glasses?

this is my nomination for the moronic, UNINFORMED post of the week .......

Gobbler Fan
11-14-2004, 04:39 PM
The only thing I would complain about is the spotting of the ball ....when the officials call an official timeout to measure you DONT move the ball to the center of the field .....good thing he caught himself and put it back down after a few steps but to happen twice in one game .....what was he thinking ?

TXMike
11-14-2004, 04:43 PM
Who moved it?

Gobbler Fan
11-14-2004, 04:50 PM
The referee picked the ball up and moved it after the ball had been spotted and the whistle had blown for an official timeout to measure for a first.

TXMike
11-14-2004, 04:59 PM
The one with a white hat moved it???

Gobbler Fan
11-14-2004, 05:01 PM
No the black hat guy moved it. I believe the white hat fella yelled at him to put it back down ......lol

3afan
11-14-2004, 05:12 PM
there is only 1 "referee" - he's the white hat guy

44INAROW
11-14-2004, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by Gobbler Fan
The only thing I would complain about is the spotting of the ball ....when the officials call an official timeout to measure you DONT move the ball to the center of the field .....good thing he caught himself and put it back down after a few steps but to happen twice in one game .....what was he thinking ?

lol I forgot about that, it did happen twice:eek:

Phantom Stang
11-14-2004, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by VWG
This isn't about the ref's but the jerk offs in the stands that yell at the kids on the field.
I am appalled at the actions of some idiots in the stands who berate the kids. These are the same guys that cheered them on during their route to the playoffs, and because they are overmatched or just have a bad night.... they get on them.
Same thing with the coaching staff. The best coach is always the idiot in the stands who hasn't had any experience on the field.
At one point last Friday I was about to turn around and say something to a couple of these losers. Why get on the kids that are out there bustin' their asses off and playing to the best of their ability?

Phantom Stang sez "amen to that!".:clap: :clap:

Flourhead
11-14-2004, 05:17 PM
and another thing about idiot fans.... if you dont wanna stand up to watch the game then dont sit behind the student section and cuss at us and threaten to fight us... if you really wanna take on all of this then god bless u

gobbler grad
11-14-2004, 05:21 PM
if they can't see because I'm standing, they can move
that's the way I see it!!

Flourhead
11-14-2004, 05:23 PM
no offense to the cuero fans but one of my friends said most of our fans are dinosaurs and wont stand up for anything but going to the bathroom... im tired of our games being packed with people that just like to clap their hands every now and then... thats retarded and doesnt do our team any good

Phantom Stang
11-14-2004, 05:49 PM
The students in Sweetwater have stood since the Phantom's day which was many long days ago!;)

And that's what I like about Texas High School Football!!:D