PDA

View Full Version : Incident in Corona, California

99IHSMustang
11-12-2004, 09:10 AM
I don't know if most of you saw the incident in California about a woman that was running and screaming from a car that was following her. It was reported that

Article in www.caller.com

CORONA, Calif. (AP) -- A shopping mall security camera videotaped the apparent kidnapping of a woman who was chased through a parking garage by two men and stuffed into the trunk of a car in front of shoppers.

Police on Thursday were trying to determine the identities of the woman and the two men involved in the Sunday evening incident at the Corona Discount Mall. The woman's videotaped reaction upon seeing the men suggested she knew them.

"It's obvious that some kind of crime occurred," Detective Frank Zellers told KCAL-TV.

A security camera recorded the scene as the woman walked from a parking lot to the sidewalk outside the mall entrance. When a black car pulled up sharply, the woman looked over her shoulder at the car and took off running into a parking garage, the car in pursuit.

Two men jumped out of the car, chased her down, grabbed her and put her in the trunk.

A few shoppers appeared to turn their heads and watch but took no action. In addition, several motorists drove through the scene.

© 2004 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

I want to know honestly what many of you would have done? I will be honest and say that I would have been shocked also what I was seeing and probably be to late to react to something like that, but then again I have never been in that type of situation where I have had to think quickly. Let me here your thoughts and opinions please.

IHStangFan
11-12-2004, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by 99IHSMustang
I don't know if most of you saw the incident in California about a woman that was running and screaming from a car that was following her. It was reported that

Article in www.caller.com

CORONA, Calif. (AP) -- A shopping mall security camera videotaped the apparent kidnapping of a woman who was chased through a parking garage by two men and stuffed into the trunk of a car in front of shoppers.

Police on Thursday were trying to determine the identities of the woman and the two men involved in the Sunday evening incident at the Corona Discount Mall. The woman's videotaped reaction upon seeing the men suggested she knew them.

"It's obvious that some kind of crime occurred," Detective Frank Zellers told KCAL-TV.

A security camera recorded the scene as the woman walked from a parking lot to the sidewalk outside the mall entrance. When a black car pulled up sharply, the woman looked over her shoulder at the car and took off running into a parking garage, the car in pursuit.

Two men jumped out of the car, chased her down, grabbed her and put her in the trunk.

A few shoppers appeared to turn their heads and watch but took no action. In addition, several motorists drove through the scene.

© 2004 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

I want to know honestly what many of you would have done? I will be honest and say that I would have been shocked also what I was seeing and probably be to late to react to something like that, but then again I have never been in that type of situation where I have had to think quickly. Let me here your thoughts and opinions please. i dont know honestly....i think if i were to confront two such men...ESPECIALLY in Kommiefornia.....i would have had my pistol nearby.

99IHSMustang
11-12-2004, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
i dont know honestly....i think if i were to confront two such men...ESPECIALLY in Kommiefornia.....i would have had my pistol nearby.

I hear that man... I a more than sure that these men had guns also.

IHStangFan
11-12-2004, 09:25 AM
I hear that man... I a more than sure that these men had guns also. yeah, exactly my point....betting on the fact they were packing...i wouldnt directly approach them unless i was too...and i'd STILL dial 911!!

99IHSMustang
11-12-2004, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
yeah, exactly my point....betting on the fact they were packing...i wouldnt directly approach them unless i was too...and i'd STILL dial 911!!

I seperated the two options from helping and calling becuase by the time you actually would have gotten through to the dispatcher it would have been too late to help more than likely.

big daddy russ
11-12-2004, 09:30 AM
A lot of people say they'd help, but you can't say unless you've been in that particular situation. I don't know what I'd do if someone was being kidnapped, but I know last year I was at Northgate here in College Station me and an old buddy of mine were walking out to his truck and in the parking lot this guy was beating the hell out of his girlfriend. She was trying to take off and as she was backing out he physically pulled her out of the car (the car was still running and in the middle of a street). One of the reasons I moved up here was because I can associate with the people. They're very polite, well-mannered, and they have respect for ladies. Just a classy city, IMO the classiest in Texas. I can't live in Austin, Houston or Dallas for those reasons.

But I digress. There were probably 50 people out there standing around watching it and only four of us were helping her out. I would've got my tail whipped by that guy and his friend if it weren't for another guy stepping in. Everyone else was pissed off because they couldn't move their cars and get out of the parking lot (it was 2am and some of the kids there were drunk and underage... said they didn't want to get an MIP!!!). Man that left a sour taste in my mouth about some of the people here. Like I said, I'd hope that I would do something, but I'm sure everyone that was at Northgate last spring still tells themselves they would help a lady if she really needed it. Helping a lady out who's being beaten by a worthless white trash redneck is something that I could handle, but I've never been in a situation where someone was kidnapped.

IHStangFan
11-12-2004, 09:32 AM
I seperated the two options from helping and calling becuase by the time you actually would have gotten through to the dispatcher it would have been too late to help more than likely. yeah, i guess i should have clarified....if i wasnt armed, i'd DEFINATELY call 911, and if i confronted them...it wouldnt be on foot....i might try to pin the guy down w/ my truck or something (basically run him over, LOL) if i WAS packing...i might would fire a warning shot, and then depending on how they reacted....head that direction...or...in a bad case senario, take cover. there are so many things that'd be going through your head...its really hard to say HOW youd react.

Keith7
11-12-2004, 01:45 PM
You guys also gotta remember where corona is.. Its in a bad part of L.A. next to the infamous Compton.. I have a feeling they have seen these shoppers may have seen this stuff before.. Many people in that area dont report crimes because they believe that police don't pay attention to them anymore because there are so many crimes being commited in that area dailey.. So as alot of yall would be shocked by seeing something like this its just a part of life for them..

honeymd
11-12-2004, 02:46 PM
Have they determined who she is or has anyone been reported missing?

I think running up to someone who is capable of doing that to a woman is too risky. If they went looking for her with that in mind, they likely had firearms.

Corona is a bad part of town.

I probably would have tried to get close enough to get a license plate number while dialing 911.

Chief Woodman
11-12-2004, 03:04 PM
I doubt anyone really knows what they would do unless and until they are in the situation. Adrenaline does not make you smarter, it makes you stop thinking and makes you react by "flight or fight". Just an observation from one who has been in some of those "you don't have time to think " situations.

TheDOCTORdre
11-12-2004, 03:18 PM
What happened here is a case known as diffusion of responsiblity, numerous shoppers were watching the apparent kidnapping and were probably compelled to do something to help, but when they saw others watching they thought that someone else would help her, thus difusing their responsibility to do the right thing to the others who were watching

Bullaholic
11-12-2004, 03:51 PM
Good thing this incident didn't happen in Texas---these guys would have died from lead poisoning immediately or lethal injection later.

honeymd
11-12-2004, 04:34 PM
Nice explanation Doctor...sounds right.