PDA

View Full Version : Texas Tech vs. (22) Texas A&M

KTJ
11-11-2004, 08:51 PM
Things don't get any easier for A&M. After a good game with OU, they now face Tech, who has beaten A&M 3 straight years in a row and 4 out of the last 5. It doesn't bode well for A&M either that they have lost 2 in a row, counting the Baylor fiasco. The offense for A&M is really what kept them in the game. Reggie and the backup QB (can't think of his name right now) stayed calm and in control and helped A&M stay with OU. However, A&M's defense is what cost them. They couldn't stop White, which proved to be very detrimental.

For Tech to win this game, they have to score early and score often. Use that gimmicky offense for all it's worth! As long as they do that, they can keep the crowd out of it, which is always a good thing. Mike Leach knows how to beat A&M--he's done it 3 years in a row. But Leach better tell Lyle to have the defense in tip-top condition if he wants to walk out of Kyle with a win.

With that said, both teams know what is at stake should they win--a possible Cotton Bowl invite. Tech is sick of going to bowls named after internet sites and A&M--well, they just want to go to a bowl. They haven't been to one since 2001. I wish I could watch this game but I'll be out of town on business.

It will be close folks but I like the system Tech is running and they have the momentum right now.

Texas Tech - 52
Texas A&M - 45

LH Panther Mom
11-11-2004, 08:53 PM
WooHoo! Guns up! GO TECH!!!!

KTJ, thanks for the vote of confidence. :kiss:

big daddy russ
11-11-2004, 08:59 PM
A&M picks up one more win this season...

...and it won't come this week.

As much as I think the crowd will play a factor in Tech's pass-oriented offense, I just don't think A&M's secondary is up to the task. And after seeing Reggie pulled out of the last game (the rush defense keeps them in the game... the offense wins it for them) I don't know if he'll be back at 100%. That could spell doom for the Ags. Tech by a safety.

KTJ
11-11-2004, 09:11 PM
Russ--

I just don't see how most A&M fans are so confident that they will beat UT after losing to Baylor, barely beating CU, and possibly getting a loss to Tech this weekend. Realistically, you guys can beat Tech but have a 10% chance of beating UT. Our defense is the best in the Big 12 and I don't see how A&M can, or will, get past that.

But hey, I've been wrong before.

Bulldog_12
11-11-2004, 09:15 PM
I disagree with you on this KTJ. We can be confident because we have such an awesome rush defense. I think that UT's passing game is too inconsistent. And I know what Im gonna get, "did you see the game against Tech, or the one last week with OSU?" I saw both and saw UT have a good gameplan there, but then the next week, all I saw was Benson and Young running all over the place. We just held A.D. to 100 yds. rushing. Maybe its just my opinion, but I think he is a much better runner than either of UT's guys. I think UT will be forced to pass and their newness to the passing game will show. Thats just the way I see it, and thats why I am confident. But, I could be wrong as well. Who knows. I hope Im right though.:D

KTJ
11-11-2004, 09:19 PM
Bulldog-

That's why I respect your opinon. Are you coming to the game?

Russ, are you coming?

big daddy russ
11-11-2004, 09:42 PM
Well, my team has a huge game this weekend (hell, it's the marquee game nationwide) so I won't go to the A&M game (they both play at 2:30)... but I will be flipping between the channels to keep up with the score. The thing with the Aggies is that they're young. They ALWAYS play to the level of their competition, ever since week 2 at least.

They were a much better team than CU or Baylor, but they should've gone 0-2 through that stretch the way they were playing. The Buffs and the Bears both outplayed them horribly. But the Ags managed to stay in the game. Then they suddenly got up for the OU game, and actually outplayed the number two team in the nation. They shot themselves in the foot and White made them pay. Still, they should've won that game.

I think UT is a similar team to OSU, but they are on a different level talent-wise. UT has more pure talent than anyone in the nation this side of Miami. That includes my boys down on the plains, Florida State, USC and Oklahoma.

The strength of A&M and the thing that has kept them in most of their games isn't necessarily Reggie, but their run defense. They don't have the numbers of Boise State or Florida State, but they're built better than any team in the nation.... and they've allowed fewer rushing yards than UT. That line is one of the best in the nation and is built for keeping hats off of their linebackers. Those linebackers are all about speed, and even though they're not the absolute best trio in the nation, they're absolutely perfect for A&M's scheme. They still may be the fastest in the nation and they focus on tackling. That's all they need to do. With Appel hanging out in the backfield (he's the best safety in the nation at coming up to the line and giving the front seven support), it's tough to run on them. That's why I wasn't worried about Peterson last week. That's why I kept going on about it being White's week. Even with the offense opened up, Peterson still only gained about 3.5 yards per carry.

When Vince Young shows me that he can throw the ball, I'll believe that the Longhorns will beat A&M. If Mack gets smart, looks at the tape and decides to go with Mock over Young, I'll go with the 'Horns. But you cannot beat A&M with a run-oriented offense. It's just a matter of the matchups and unfortunately, I can't see UT winning this one. If Morency and Peterson have a tough time running on the Aggies, then Benson and Young will, too.

Just throw out the rankings and the loss to Baylor... look at how these two particular teams match up.

big daddy russ
11-11-2004, 09:45 PM
Sorry, got caught up doing something else... wound up saying the exact same thing as Bulldog in a post 12 miles longer.

big daddy russ
11-11-2004, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by KTJ
Bulldog-

That's why I respect your opinon. Are you coming to the game?

Russ, are you coming?
Probably not, but if I do manage to score tickets, I'll be sure to look you up. Maybe have a 3ADL tailgate or something.

Panther Ross
11-11-2004, 10:38 PM
Aggies by 14.

Bulldog_12
11-12-2004, 12:54 AM
I had planned on coming, until I found out that the tickets were 75 dollars. (yikes) I just don't have that kind of money to throw around. I'll just have to wait till it comes here next year. Maybe you can make that one.:D

AggieJohn
11-12-2004, 02:00 AM
i think that the aggies play this one tight, and of course i have to go with an aggie win of course, but i do realize that our secondary will get burned.....just hope that reggie and our offense can keep the ball moving....i think one small factor that we are forgetting is that this is also maroon out, the one game that with the exception of texas last year that we don't lose too, no matter what the opponent is.....but that's a mystique and auora factor which is insignificant mainly, but does present an interesting angle...

A&M's offense is potentially one of the best offenses in the nation they are hard to stop and can basically score any drive, i think the game comes down to whether or not our secondaries can stop their WR, look for jaxson appel to have a career day in my opinion...i think it will be a good game for sure....one for the decade, wish this game had a title like the "red river shootout"....

KTJ
11-12-2004, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by Bulldog_12
I had planned on coming, until I found out that the tickets were 75 dollars. (yikes) I just don't have that kind of money to throw around. I'll just have to wait till it comes here next year. Maybe you can make that one.:D

haha---the last time I was at Kyle, I was in the 7th grade and yall played SMU. It was so hot and I was ready to go home.

But I'll be there next year, all decked out in Burnt Orange! :D

AggieJohn
11-12-2004, 11:34 AM
just remember to stay off the field at halftime;)

IHStangFan
11-12-2004, 11:38 AM
THIS is the game ive been worried about...not the OU game...not the UT game...THIS one. we can stop the rush, we've proven it...but Tech's passing game MAY prove a little too much for my Ags. and i'm not clear what McNeal's status is either...is he back to 100%?? if not...thats another check in the "oh damn" column. i'll be suprised if the Ags pull this one off. Tech by 17.

AggieJohn
11-12-2004, 11:40 AM
tech's defense won't be able to stop reggie in my opinion, i just don't see how they can let texas let vy have a field day with 170 or so yards rushing, we'll just feed reggie the horse all day, and hope for a stop by the secondary along the way..

Bullaholic
11-12-2004, 11:41 AM
KTJ.....I think the Ags will get by Tech in a close one. I think Francione will "borrow" from Tech's game against UT, and will line up and just "mash" the smaller tech defense. As for UT-A&M, that one is going to be one of the best games of the year because I think both teams are good this year, and there seems to be an especially acute emphasis on this classic rivalry this year. I am "pulling" for the 'Horns, but don't go to the concession stand or fridge during this one.

AggieJohn
11-12-2004, 11:42 AM
these last two games will be exciting that's for sure

IHStangFan
11-12-2004, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by explayer2001
tech's defense won't be able to stop reggie in my opinion, i just don't see how they can let texas let vy have a field day with 170 or so yards rushing, we'll just feed reggie the horse all day, and hope for a stop by the secondary along the way.. yeah, provided NcNeal is healthy...that MIGHT would sway my previous prediction. if hes healthy the Ags pull it off. if not..then i'm not sure...they could get beat this week.

Titans
11-12-2004, 12:42 PM
As a ex-Red Raider, I'm not so sure Tech can pull this one out.

#1 - they are a dismal road team...even after winning @ KSU.

#2 - their defense has many weaknesses (at times)

If you are a betting person, bet the OVER - period. I can't see the two teams combining for less than 80 points.

If Tech wins, I'd be surprised. I gotta stick with them though!

District303aPastPlayer
11-12-2004, 12:53 PM

A&M's offense is potentially one of the best offenses in the nation

But potential is wortha bout as much as the dirt in my shoes if its not utilized. . .

big daddy russ
11-12-2004, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
But potential is wortha bout as much as the dirt in my shoes if its not utilized. . .
Hey Aaron, let me rephrase that for my buddy up there, for clarification... A&M is one of the top ten or 15 offenses in the nation.

But without Reggie at 100% it won't run on all eight. A&M won't shoot themselves in the foot by turning it over, but that stable of horses they have on the outside can't do much damage if they don't get the ball. Remember, as good a QB as Reggie has become, A&M's wideouts make him look great.

Tech by a safety.

LH Panther Mom
11-13-2004, 06:35 PM
Is anyone else watching the game? Man, what a game! I missed a big part of the first half, buying basketball shoes; just caught bits & pieces on the radio. Come on, Tech!

Keith7
11-13-2004, 07:03 PM
its down to 1 play

LH Panther Mom
11-13-2004, 07:04 PM
Overtime!!!!!!!

Keith7
11-13-2004, 07:04 PM
its tied up 25-25 10 seconds left in the 4th

LH Panther Mom
11-13-2004, 07:13 PM
CRAP! Aggies score in OT. 32-25 - GO TECH - you're turn!

Keith7
11-13-2004, 07:20 PM
who was sonny combie passing to on that last play???

LH Panther Mom
11-13-2004, 07:22 PM
You got me. I didn't see see a receiver anywhere within at least 5 yards. I can hardly wait till the A&M fans get on here. :doh:

Keith7
11-13-2004, 07:23 PM
at least you didnt make any bets!!

GreenMonster
11-13-2004, 07:24 PM
What a great game this turned out to be. Excellent rivalry.

LH Panther Mom
11-13-2004, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
at least you didnt make any bets!!

ROFLMAO! :D

TxRedneck13
11-13-2004, 07:34 PM
Good Game Ags GIG EM

KTJ
11-13-2004, 08:39 PM
Well I was right about one thing--I said it would be close and from what I'm hearing and reading, it was.

:D

AggieJohn
11-13-2004, 10:17 PM
it's not a rivalry, a college playing a high school team is not a rivalry...just kidding....glad we played tech and they are a good team......but on a serious note they aren't our rival, texas is our rival, will always be our rival, just because tech or OU is good this year when they play us doesn't mean it's a rivalry, remember that it's long standing history that makes teams rivals not popularity

Keith7
11-13-2004, 10:20 PM
it's not a rivalry, a college playing a high school team is not a rivalry...just kidding....glad we played tech and they are a good team......but on a serious note they aren't our rival, texas is our rival, will always be our rival, just because tech or OU is good this year when they play us doesn't mean it's a rivalry, remember that it's long standing history that makes teams rivals not popularity

how many times in a row had Texas Tech beaten A&M before this game??

LH Panther Mom
11-13-2004, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
how many times in a row had Texas Tech beaten A&M before this game??

:kiss: :kiss: Point!

AggieJohn
11-13-2004, 10:46 PM
true, they have beat us a lot lately, but we still don't acknowledge them as OUR rival

Keith7
11-13-2004, 10:47 PM
true, they have beat us a lot lately, but we still don't acknowledge them as OUR rival

teams dont have to have 1 rival..

Bulldog_12
11-14-2004, 01:38 AM
All I know is that it was a heck of a game. Some bad officiating is what took it to overtime, but Im not complaining. Im glad we overcame some of the bad calls and won it. Today just wasnt a very good day for officiating.:D

CHSBaseball07
11-14-2004, 12:09 PM
so if A&M wouldve lost would it have been the Officials fault just like the Kansas people are saying? lol j/k....Good game Ags...yall deserved that one

Bulldog_12
11-14-2004, 03:41 PM
If you go back and look at the film or any highlights of the last play of regulation, you'll see a HUGE pushoff by a techie. I really cant believe it wasnt called. Call me mangino if ya want, but it was terrible. At least we won.

IHStangFan
11-14-2004, 03:44 PM
WOW!!! that was one hellova game!!! bring on UT!!

AggieJohn
11-14-2004, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by Bulldog_12
If you go back and look at the film or any highlights of the last play of regulation, you'll see a HUGE pushoff by a techie. I really cant believe it wasnt called. Call me mangino if ya want, but it was terrible. At least we won.

there was an article in the dallas morning news this morning from a guy that said he thought that A&M had to fight both Tech and thre refs to basically win this game....there were just some crappy calls on this game.....we are lucky to run away with the win being what they had to overcome....if tech could be more complete with their running game, they would be a perrenial force in the nation, let alone the big 12....

bmbf_06
11-15-2004, 09:47 AM
Way to go Ags! im glad this was the game i picked to go to! that was an awesome game! :)

onfirebball05mustang
11-15-2004, 11:31 AM
twas an awesome game....but how bout those penalties?! jeesh! Congrats Aggies-that was a CLOSE one!!! :clap: