PDA

View Full Version : Gainesville Vs. Graham Preview

Keith7
11-11-2004, 07:43 PM
GHS riding five-game winning streak

By DARIN ALLRED

Gainesville Register Sports Editor

Five weeks ago, some were predicting gloom and doom for the Gainesville Leopard football team. After all, they had a record of 2-3 and had lost two straight ballgames heading into district play.

But now, five weeks later, the Leopards are right where they expected to be. They are district champs and in the Class 3A playoffs for the fifth straight year.

After going 2-3 in non-district play, the Leopards (7-3 overall) have won five straight games, winning their second consecutive district title.

"One of our goals when we began the season was to win the district championship," GHS head coach Jeff Cordell said. "To go 5-0 is an even bigger accomplishment for our team. Not many people in the state thought we could do it, especially after back-to-back losses to Royse City and Iowa Park. But our kids continue to believe in themselves and in our coaching staff and we won some key ballgames without all our key people, and that shows something about the character of our team."

All three of Gainesville's losses came to playoff teams in Class 3A (Decatur, Royse City and Iowa Park). In fact, all three won at least a share of a district championship. Their combined record is 27-3.

"We played some tough teams in non-district, but I think it helped prepare us for district play and the playoff run we about to make," Cordell added.

The Leopards ended the regular season with a 27-6 win over the Bowie Jackrabbits last Friday. Gainesville trailed 6-0 until scoring a touchdown with just 6 seconds remaining before halftime. They went on to score 20 more points in the second half.

"I think us scoring right there before halftime was key in that ballgame," Cordell said. "Just like in the past, we didn't go in at halftime and give a lot of speeches, we just went in and made adjustments and then came out and executed better. It wasn't necessarily what Bowie was doing in the first half, it was what we were doing to ourselves. We had to eliminate our negative plays offensively and do a better job of tackling defensively. We did that in the second half and they ended up not scoring in the second half."

The Leopards enter the playoffs as close to 100 percent healthy as they have been all season. For the first time all season, Gainesville's two returning All-State players from a year ago (running back Terrius Purvey and linebacker Jeremy Franklin) will be in the starting lineup at the same time.

"I don't know if we are at 100 percent, I just know we are a lot better off with those kids back in our system," Cordell said. "They are difference-makers, both offensively and defensively. We played well without them, but having them back allows us to do more things both offensively and defensively."

The Leopards open the playoffs against the Graham Steers (6-4), who finished as co-champs in District 5-3A.

"Coach (David) Bourquin does a great job with that ballclub up there," Cordell said of Graham. "I'm not sure what his overall record is, but I know that since like 1999, they have been the district champs or co-champs every year. They are a program that has had success over the years. They are very simple, both offensively and defensively, but they do things right."

The Leopards game plan will be simple -- stop the run. Graham runs the veer, something Gainesville has seen from Pottsboro and Bowie in consecutive weeks.

But while the Leopards are almost back to 100 percent health-wise, the same can't be said for the Steers. Three weeks ago, Graham lost their starting fullback to a knee injury. Chance Condron was the District MVP last year, but will not return this season. Then last week, starting quarterback Jeremy Louder became ineligible because of grades.

"Offensively they run the veer and do a good job of running the veer," Cordell said of Graham. "Everyone knows that one of their best running backs is out with an MCL injury and their quarterback was an academic casualty last week. However, they had two guys that stepped in and did a great job last week in the loss to Iowa Park. There is not a big step down as far as their ability."

Graham tailback Blake Rogers has taken up the slack for Condron. Rogers has rushed for 1,037 yards and 13 touchdowns this season.

Gainesville and Graham will play at the new C.H. Collins Athletic Complex in Denton Friday at 7:30 p.m. Cordell says he has visited the first-year stadium and players and fans alike are in for a treat.

"It's a great complex. Watching it being built, it's amazing how fast they got that thing up and running," he said. "They are supposed to have great service, one of the best services we've seen even during our playoff run last year. I think this will be one of the better venues we have played at in the six years I have been here."

As for the keys to the game, Cordell says it starts with his team's defense.

"We have to stop their run game and not get lulled to sleep trying to stop their run game and have someone get behind us in the secondary," he said. "Offensively, we cannot have the negative plays that we had last week. We can't have the penalties that put us in bad positions in regards to down and distance situations. We can't do that against this ballclub or we will be packing our bags and getting ready for the offseason."

LEOPARD NOTES: Gainesville is 5-1 against Graham since 1972. Their only loss came in their last meeting back in 2001 when the Steers won 38-14 at home. Gainesville won in 2000 and 1972-75 ... Graham's losses came to Decatur, Abilene Wylie, Marlin and Iowa Park. All of those teams made the playoffs in Class 3A ... Gainesville has only played two playoff games in Denton since 1980. They lost to Everman in 2001 in the 3A playoffs at the old Denton ISD Stadium. In 1990, they lost to W.T. White in the 4A playoffs at Fouts Field on the University of North Texas campus.

VWG
11-11-2004, 08:08 PM
Gainesville by 17 pts.
Those two kids Graham lost before the Iowa Park game equaled 5 starting positions. Safety, Linebacker, Fullback, Quaterback, and Punter.
Also throw in that Graham lost another starting secondary member last week against IP due to injury, and you've got 6 total starting positions gone to backups.
If David Bourquin and his staff pull this off... well, let's just say anybody who doubts his coaching abilities should think twice about his ability to coach a team.

Gainesville back at full strength will be dangerous in the playoffs.
If Gainesville and Decatur meet up again I would love to see how they will re-direct their efforts to stopping Decatur.

garageoffice
11-11-2004, 08:27 PM
Man! I hate to see teams goin into the playoffs with injuries. I had this game picked as one of the ones to see in the area this weekend. It may still be a good game, but it won't be what it should have been.

Chief Woodman
11-11-2004, 11:03 PM
Gainesville wins this one. If Decatur can manage a victory against mighty West, then week two will be a great game to see.

Macarthur
11-11-2004, 11:11 PM
Man, I would be scared if I were Gainesville. The reason is all signs point to them winning this one fairly easy.

Not so fast my friend! I just have a funny feeling about this one. Gainesville may be a bit overconfident. Let's not forget that Graham is more than a little upset about losing in the first round something like 4 or 5 years straight. I think this is going to be an interesting game.

Stangster
11-11-2004, 11:13 PM
I gotta go with Gainesville

Bullaholic
11-11-2004, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by garageoffice
Man! I hate to see teams goin into the playoffs with injuries. I had this game picked as one of the ones to see in the area this weekend. It may still be a good game, but it won't be what it should have been.

Conventional wisdom says Gainesville, and Graham has the 1st Round Playoff jinx to overcome---but they do always play tough, I gotta give em' that.

HighSchool Fan
11-13-2004, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by Macarthur
Man, I would be scared if I were Gainesville. The reason is all signs point to them winning this one fairly easy.

Not so fast my friend! I just have a funny feeling about this one. Gainesville may be a bit overconfident. Let's not forget that Graham is more than a little upset about losing in the first round something like 4 or 5 years straight. I think this is going to be an interesting game.

What was the funny feeling? You keep talking down about Gainesville and have not seen them play this year. It was really never close. Gainesville scored on 1st play. I hope you have the same funny feeling this week.

Bullaholic
11-13-2004, 10:27 AM
I was at this one with HighSchool Fan. The Graham "veer" never got untracked against the faster GVille "D", and made lots of mistakes. Graham has absolutely no passing game. The GVille "O" had too much speed with Purvey and co., and broke several medium and long gainers for TD's. I think Decatur will see a different GVille team the second time around, and the game will be much closer.

Macarthur
11-13-2004, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by HighSchool Fan
What was the funny feeling? You keep talking down about Gainesville and have not seen them play this year. It was really never close. Gainesville scored on 1st play. I hope you have the same funny feeling this week.

HighSchoolFan, I never talked down Gainesville. All I have done is rebutt you when you claim they are better than Iowa Park. IP clearly won that game. I know you guys weren't full speed, but IP won the game easily so there is no way you can claim Gainesville to be better. That's all I said about that.

As for the Graham game, good job. I just felt that reading some of the posts on here, it appeard Gainesville was taking this game for granted. Clearly, you guys whipped Graham. Congrats! But please stop mischaracterizing what I say.

HighSchool Fan
11-13-2004, 11:26 AM
the point is that what happened 7 weeks ago doesn't mean anything now. It also doesn't matter if the fans take a game lightly or not, they don't play the game. On previous post you kept saying you heard this or that about Gainesville, Well guess what, we all heard that WOS was gonna win state and what happened to them? Remember, 1 game doesn't make a season for most teams.

Chief Woodman
11-13-2004, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
I was at this one with HighSchool Fan. The Graham "veer" never got untracked against the faster GVille "D", and made lots of mistakes. Graham has absolutely no passing game. The GVille "O" had too much speed with Purvey and co., and broke several medium and long gainers for TD's. I think Decatur will see a different GVille team the second time around, and the game will be much closer.

I think you are right that Gainesville will be much better. But Decatur is faster on both sides of the ball than Gaineville. That is no bull.

Bullaholic
11-13-2004, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by Chief Woodman
I think you are right that Gainesville will be much better. But Decatur is faster on both sides of the ball than Gaineville. That is no bull.

Chief....I usually agree with everything you say, but I gotta disagree with you a little bit on this one. I've seen both teams play a couple of times, and Decatur is not faster on both sides of the ball, but rather I think they may be about even in speed with Decatur having the edge as far as skill goes at receiver, because of Christian. Dane gets my vote over the GVille QB on skills--not speed. Godboldt and Purvey are both great running backs, but Godboldt is not faster than Purvey. Nevertheless, I'm pulling for the Eagles to go all the way for District 7 pride. Good luck, but don't forget to bring your best game for GVille--you're gonna need it

Chief Woodman
11-13-2004, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Chief....I usually agree with everything you say, but I gotta disagree with you a little bit on this one. I've seen both teams play a couple of times, and Decatur is not faster on both sides of the ball, but rather I think they may be about even in speed with Decatur having the edge as far as skill goes at receiver, because of Christian. Dane gets my vote over the GVille QB on skills--not speed. Godboldt and Purvey are both great running backs, but Godboldt is not faster than Purvey. Nevertheless, I'm pulling for the Eagles to go all the way for District 7 pride. Good luck, but don't forget to bring your best game for GVille--you're gonna need it

Sorry! I did not intend for it to mean that Godboldt was faster than Purvey, or that Dane is faster than their QB.

What I meant was Decatur "D" is as fast or faster than Gainesville "O" (Purvey got run down from BEHIND)

The Decatur "O" is as fast as anything on Gainesville "D" Nobody cauht Godboldt from behind and Decatur receivers pulled away from the Gainesville DB's after the catch, including Purvey. Gainsville depends on speed to win. At best it is even and they have NO advantage in that area.

HighSchool Fan
11-13-2004, 01:47 PM
I was trying to stay out of this speed argument. However, Purvey was not caught from behind in open field and he was playing with a sprained ankle and the flu. I hope that the Decatur kids are as over confident as you sound. It should be a good game and I hope to get to meet you there.

Keith7
11-13-2004, 02:39 PM
Sorry! I did not intend for it to mean that Godboldt was faster than Purvey, or that Dane is faster than their QB.

What I meant was Decatur "D" is as fast or faster than Gainesville "O" (Purvey got run down from BEHIND)

The Decatur "O" is as fast as anything on Gainesville "D" Nobody cauht Godboldt from behind and Decatur receivers pulled away from the Gainesville DB's after the catch, including Purvey. Gainsville depends on speed to win. At best it is even and they have NO advantage in that area.

I promise you Gainesville is just as fast, if not faster then Decatur.. Of course i havnt seen either team this year, but I know Gainesville takes pride in thier speed because they dont have size.. so i have a good feeling that Gainesville is one of the faster teams in state...

HighSchool Fan
11-13-2004, 02:41 PM
i've been waiting for you today. it's gonna be a good game this week.

VWG
11-13-2004, 02:43 PM
Gainesville will have to play top notch football to beat Decatur.
They beat Graham easily... and, well they should have.
With 6 minutes left Graham was down to their JV QB playing the game, after injury to their QB, who was their original second string QB.
The Leopards are a good football team. I don't understand why with a kid like Purvey they don't utilize the I formation more.
Big brusing fullback, decent line... the I formation is made for a tall "Eric Dickerson" like tailback like Purvey. Pound the ball for 4-5 yards a carry.
Gainesville's d-line is suspect. One kid appears to be about 280lbs but about 5'5". Number 44, their linebacker is tough, but Graham's line pounded him and he had trouble shaking blocks off.
Gainesville D made good open field tackles, and their middle linebacker is very good.
Decatur will have to contain Purvey. If Decatur's defense can contain Purvey and put pressure on their passing game then Decatur takes it.

HighSchool Fan
11-13-2004, 02:48 PM
go ahead and key on Purvey and watch Hweitt run. the first play last night was fake to Purvey to the left and handoff to Hewitt for a touchdown run that the 5'5" 280lbs lineman could of ran in. Gainesville's offense is doing just enough to keep a defense honest.

Keith7
11-13-2004, 02:51 PM
I want to see them get Purvey and Hewitt both in the back field and Graham's veer option a couple of times

Chief Woodman
11-13-2004, 02:51 PM
Hewitt played against Decatur already and did not run away with the game. He wasn't injured when they met in September.

Keith7
11-13-2004, 02:54 PM
Hewitt played against Decatur already and did not run away with the game. He wasn't injured when they met in September.

Gainesville has a passing game and purvey back that will keep the defense off balance, and give hewitt alot of room to run

Bullaholic
11-13-2004, 03:06 PM
What do you say we all switch up to Chief's new "Round II" GVille/Decatur post. That way all posters can read and post in one place---I got a feeling this topic is going to have a lot of threads and views before next Friday.

Chief Woodman
11-13-2004, 03:10 PM
I agree lets consolidate. This is going to be a great week.

HighSchool Fan
11-13-2004, 03:13 PM
just hope no one takes it to seriously.