PDA

View Full Version : should off the field happenings effect a players status

cts76325i
10-29-2002, 10:25 PM
i was recently removed from my team because i feel the coach had a problem with me and i did something stupid and gave him a reason to let me go. personally i don't think it was worth being kicked off the team for, neither did any of my team mates but what happens happens. i just know that he let go an all district letterman becuase he didn't like me. i will end this before i say something that will have me removed from here.

Jimbotex40
10-29-2002, 10:33 PM
who did you play for?

what exactly did you do?

bigbullbacker
10-29-2002, 10:38 PM
I dont really know what u did?

cts76325i
10-29-2002, 10:39 PM
i played for castleberry and we went on a feild trip to medievel times and me my g/f and a couple of buddies tried to take some of those plates. well only i was removed from the team. the others got a game suspension and that same day another guy just didn't show up for the game he went to school and just left. he was a starter and he has recieved no punishment he is one of my freinds and it there wasn't a reason(sept for a fight with his g/f) just didn't show up. i dunno i just think its bull

bigbullbacker
10-29-2002, 10:39 PM
I dont really know what u did? But like u said u did something stupid....Go ask for a redo....

kepdawg
10-29-2002, 10:56 PM
Everyone should be treated fairly, but if you attempt to steal while on a school field trip, I certainly believe disciplinary action is necessary. To answer your question, yes, off the field happenings should effect a players status.

eye of the tiger
10-29-2002, 10:57 PM
Talk to the coach. Old cliche "Sometimes good people do stupid things" or something like that. Most coaches will listen and maybe a secong chance will be there for you. Give it a shot and good luck.

sinton66
10-29-2002, 10:58 PM
It sounds as though the "whose bright idea was this?" finger was pointed at you. If you were the instigator, you would have endangered a number of players as well as yourself. A coach would have to take that as a very serious situation. If you have any legal matters hanging as a result of this, there isn't much hope of reinstatement until those matters are settled. If there are no legal matters pending, there is a small chance to turn this around. Your best bet would be to stand tall, admit you were wrong, apologize, and ask for a second chance. If he still says no, it will do no good to pursue farther. Good luck.

cts76325i
10-29-2002, 11:09 PM
thanx guys i like the ideas. i was not the instigator and i do believe i should be punished but i think he went over board.

Owen B
10-29-2002, 11:13 PM
No one here has enough information to even think about second guessing the coach. You attempted to commit a crime while on a school field trip. That, in itself, is enough to warrant removal from the team, although a lesser punishment might also be appropriate, depending on any number of possible variables, not the least of which would be attitude, including remorse. Your post suggests to me that you could stand to do a little self examination of attitude and then go talk to the coach.

cts76325i
10-29-2002, 11:19 PM
i was remorseful i acted very dumb and i apologized to everyone envolved. the next thing is you don't know my coach. if you ddi you would see things in another light.

DEChildress17
10-29-2002, 11:21 PM
Yeah dude if you new his coach you would understand where he's comin from. He favors people hardcore, as well as every other coach in our program. What i don't understand is, another player did the exact same thing but got a different punishment...?

Jacket2000
10-29-2002, 11:39 PM
Absolutely! Athletes are supposed to be the elite of the school and should be held to a higher standard than the general student body. That includes on and off the field, and in as well as out of school. If the coach deemed the offense bad enough to removed from the team, then that's his decision to make, and I commend him for it. It takes alot of guts to show that kind of tough love.
J2K

cts76325i
10-29-2002, 11:44 PM
ok well it was not tuff love because he doesn't love us. the only reason he got the job is because he gave it to himself. he is the athletic director. he wanted more pay i guess and gave himself the job. he is a a lil troll who favors whoever he likes and treats the rest like dirt. ask anyone from my school and they would tell you the same.

Z motion 10 out on 2
10-30-2002, 12:11 AM
I agree with Sinton66. Perfectly said. I'm not sure if anyone remembers Bernard Scott from Vernon last year. He gained 2,400+ yards Well off the field he and some of his so called friends got into a fight inside someone's home. Police called and all that stuff. He was suspended from Track (it was at the end of the year). He felt like he shouldn't have been suspended, and transferred to Wichita Falls Old High. Made me sick to think this athlete would not be back to Vernon. To make this long story short the UIL ruled him ineligible to play for any other team except Vernon because he transferred for athletic reasons. So I hope he learned his lesson and Vernon has taken a few on the chin this year as a result of losing this RB. No winners here, but that is the way of the colleges too, so you have to conform to societies rules. Maybe the coach will give you a second chance if you ask and admit that what you did was wrong. Bernard never admitted such and thus didn’t get to play this year. frown

CHS_QB_24
10-30-2002, 12:13 AM
Well some of that's is true. I think it was ridiculous to kick you off of our team. I don't see why you couldn't have been punished at practice, but with our coach you know it's all about the rep and respect. He has his morals and you owned up to something your girl should have, to keep something like this from happening.

russ31
10-30-2002, 12:13 AM
I feel that a player should be punished if and only if his off-field actions are illegal and he is convicted of committing a crime. In your case, stealing is illegal and you could potentially be convicted if someone were to press the issue, so yes you should be disciplined. Have you ever had any other disciplinary issues with this coach or school?

fwisd
10-30-2002, 08:48 PM
When you are on a field trip you are representing your school and should be subject to the same disciplinary action as if you were in the building. Not smart - but then - at one time or another all of us have done something stupid. If it's not yours - don't take it or attempt to take it. Without knowing all the particulars - really couldn't make a judgment. Life is not fair - I preach that every chance I get in class - kids have been taught on the one hand that there's equality and life is fair. That's only in the storybooks. So, please be careful - don't give anyone any reason to question your behavior or give them the satisfaction of being able to question your behavior. Good luck!

bearcat1
10-31-2002, 12:18 AM
Why did they only get a game suspension and you got removed? Did you ask?
bc

cts76325i:
i played for castleberry and we went on a feild trip to medievel times and me my g/f and a couple of buddies tried to take some of those plates. well only i was removed from the team. the others got a game suspension and that same day another guy just didn't show up for the game he went to school and just left. he was a starter and he has recieved no punishment he is one of my freinds and it there wasn't a reason(sept for a fight with his g/f) just didn't show up. i dunno i just think its bull

Pudlugger
10-31-2002, 09:28 AM
As a member of the football team you are representing your school. When you do something stupid (as young men will often do) you not only reflect dishonor on yourself but your school. You are responsible for your choices and now must pay the price. If the coach was unfair by not being consistant than that reflects poorly on him. However, he may have reasons to justify his actions such as attitude and willingness to accept responsibility. If you talk to him you must not make excuses or point the finger; you must accept responsibility and make an effort to restore your image as a responsible member of the team. Perhaps if you do that he will relent and give you a one game suspension. Maybe you could offer to clean up the dressing room after practice for a week to show good faith. Good luck, and I am sorry you had to pay such a price for a dumb mistake.

RBMorris21
10-31-2002, 09:38 AM
The thing about this is he didn't even steal it he gave it back to them, He ATTEMPTED to steal it but like I said he returned it. Thats why I think he shouldn't have been kicked off our team, he should've been punished but not kicked off.

ReDhElMetWaNnAbEcHs7
10-31-2002, 11:26 AM
This is BS. So is the head coach. He doesnt do crap at practice. He stands there and lets the assistant coaches run it. I cant wait till he leaves.

this is the way we ball
10-31-2002, 11:40 AM
I'll bet you he thinks the same thing about YOU. :p Ha Ha Ha

VWG
10-31-2002, 01:20 PM
Sounds as if the coach was a little biased, if and only if, one player was removed from the team.

Cooter
10-31-2002, 01:45 PM
I can't believe you would get on here and call yourself thief and then complain because you got punished more severely than someone else. You put yourself and your coach in a bad situation. You screwed up. Take your punishment and learn from it. Good luck to you the rest of the year.