PDA

View Full Version : Who Can Stop Decatur?

Bullaholic
11-09-2004, 11:48 AM
Who do you think matches up well enough with Decatur to de-rail their State-bound Express in D1? The only two teams that I have any familiarity with, are Graham and Gainesville---I think the winner of this game will have a legitimate "shot" at Decatur, as they both previously played the Eagles and lost, and should profit by those mistakes. Others that might be able to beat them from just looking at their records and some opponents:

Silsbee
WO-S
Jasper
Sinton
Cuero
Canyon

If you add to, or comment on this list, please give details why you think a given team matches up well with Decatur's offense or defense, and has a chance against Decatur, not just passionate statements that your team is going to win----tell us specifically why they can beat Decatur.

theyoefnshow
11-09-2004, 12:24 PM
The Steelers?

tmac
11-09-2004, 12:26 PM
nah...lol:clap:

Keith7
11-09-2004, 12:31 PM
I bet Gainesville can...

westTXbest
11-09-2004, 12:32 PM
From region 1 i think canyon can give them a run for there money.

Keith7
11-09-2004, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by westTXbest
From region 1 i think canyon can give them a run for there money.

Canyon wont have to worry about them if Gainesville knocks them (decatur) out in the 2nd round

3afan
11-09-2004, 12:34 PM
Who can stop Decatur?
Decatur

IHStangFan
11-09-2004, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
Canyon wont have to worry about them if Gainesville knocks them (decatur) out in the 2nd round OOOHH!! is that the likely matchup in the 2nd round?! WOW! its pretty sad that one of those great teams will be goin home afterwards.

Keith7
11-09-2004, 12:36 PM
yup if Gainesville beats Graham and Decatur beats West

TheDOCTORdre
11-09-2004, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Who do you think matches up well enough with Decatur to de-rail their State-bound Express in D1?
...tell us specifically why they can beat Decatur.
Only God himself, because He can do whatever He wants

IHStangFan
11-09-2004, 12:37 PM
yup if Gainesville beats Graham and Decatur beats West that'd be a GREAT one!! sucks ya cant be more than one place at once....there are SEVERAL potential matchups i'd like to see in the coming weeks

westTXbest
11-09-2004, 12:38 PM
good one dre.

Hagamanp
11-09-2004, 12:38 PM
Not that they are perfect but I just dont think there is a team that can beat them. The Offense is playing well with Chandler, Brian, Devin, Cobb and Jones all playing very well. And Coach Jones has the Defense playing well also. My prediction is a State Championship(knock on wood).

mustang04
11-09-2004, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre
Only God himself, because He can do whatever He wants

yeah ok ur gettin bonus points to Heaven w/ that lil comment

sheeesh what a brown-noser

99IHSMustang
11-09-2004, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by mustang04
yeah ok ur gettin bonus points to Heaven w/ that lil comment

Lol.... :clap:

TheDOCTORdre
11-09-2004, 12:41 PM
I cant help it that I was born this way

mustang04
11-09-2004, 12:42 PM
I cant help it that I was born this way

ur right....but jsut cuz physically ur nose REALLY IS BROWN....doesnt mean it has to be symbolically

Keith7
11-09-2004, 12:42 PM
I think most Decatur fans will tell you that mother nature can stop Decatur if she gets the wind blowing, like last year in the playoffs

TheDOCTORdre
11-09-2004, 12:43 PM
I think most Decatur fans will tell you that mother nature can stop Decatur if she gets the wind blowing, like last year in the playoffs
Which would be God acting

Keith7
11-09-2004, 12:44 PM
Which would be God acting

Yup and i guess this would be Jesus acting

http://mullah.blogs.com/mullah/passion.jpg

mustang04
11-09-2004, 12:45 PM
Yup and i guess this would be Jesus acting

http://mullah.blogs.com/mullah/passion.jpg

haha

cunbed10
11-09-2004, 01:18 PM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB Marlin Bulldogs

GreenMonster
11-09-2004, 01:34 PM
Leon must be on crack again. I think Decatur's biggest hump in the road to a title is themselves. If Decatur limits their mistakes then I don't think there is a team out there that can stop them this year.

IHStangFan
11-09-2004, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
Leon must be on crack again. I think Decatur's biggest hump in the road to a title is themselves. If Decatur limits their mistakes then I don't think there is a team out there that can stop them this year. i know theyre VERY good...but thats a pretty bold statement. if they wind up in the final...i will most likely try to be there to see it.....i would really like to see this team ive heard so much about.

Jody
11-09-2004, 01:37 PM
I am not sure you stop them, but maybe outscore them. Liberty Hill maybe?

Z motion 10 out on 2
11-09-2004, 01:59 PM
Last year the wind did hurt Decatur against Vernon. Of course Vernon had a great secondary as well (4 picks). I remember the Vernon coach say that they studied the Vernon win over Bridgeport the year before (Phillip Doughtery spelling?) and they employed several coverage packages that helped the Lions beat Bridgeport and their passing attack. If I were a coach, I think I would study that Vernon game last year to get an idea how which coverages work best against the Eagle passing game.

Now, how to defeat the Eagle defense is another story. Of course you stick with what brought you. With that said, I'm sure a balanced attack is what it is going to take.

Bullaholic
11-09-2004, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by Z motion 10 out on 2
Last year the wind did hurt Decatur against Vernon. Of course Vernon had a great secondary as well (4 picks). I remember the Vernon coach say that they studied the Vernon win over Bridgeport the year before (Phillip Doughtery spelling?) and they employed several coverage packages that helped the Lions beat Bridgeport and their passing attack. If I were a coach, I think I would study that Vernon game last year to get an idea how which coverages work best against the Eagle passing game.

Now, how to defeat the Eagle defense is another story. Of course you stick with what brought you. With that said, I'm sure a balanced attack is what it is going to take.

Z Motion.....the 2001 Bulls team that lost to Commerce in the semis was very similar to the 04' Decatur team, although I do not think they were quite as loaded with talent all-around. Commerce was a big,fast, physical team that was able to run and punish our receivers as well as put pressure on Daughtery with the rush. Their offense had enough speed at receivers and RB to be able to run over our defenders and pass consistently. It will take that type of team ---with athletic kids on both sides of the ball that can play strong physically and aggressively to have a chance against Decatur.

Chief Woodman
11-09-2004, 02:17 PM
Despite who might could stop Decatur, only 5 teams will get the chance. At this point in the season anyone can win any game.

So far Decatur has won by an average score of 54-13 in each game. 6 of Decatur's opponents are playoff teams, so the numbers should give you an idea of the scoring potential and defensive potential of this team. Some might say that the teams that were not playoff teams helped to pad Decaturs stats. Is that true?

How did Decatur do against those 6 playoff teams, 3 of which are district or co-district champs? Decatur won by an average score of 54-20 in each game. Not much padding going on there.

I do know Decatur can be beat, but the question might should be who will do it if it is done? I think the team that beats Decatur will have to score more than 30 points (not too likely) and will have to have better defenses than the 6 current playoff teams. By the way it looks like Decatur could face 2 of the former opponents if they go all the way. Everyone should know how difficult it is to beat a good team twice in the same season. Decatur will not be handed anything, they will have to earn it. But on the other hand Decatur will not lay down for anyone either. It will take your best game of the season to beat the Eagles.

rhs78
11-09-2004, 02:25 PM
no one can stop decator but their own errors. the closest game may be the finals against wos or cuero

Z motion 10 out on 2
11-09-2004, 02:35 PM
Canyon may have a shot. They are in a similar position as Decatur in the fact that they have not been beat. They may also try and get Decatur to play in Abilene where the wind tends to blow strong. They also have not had much press either. Decatur will beat Graham and or Gainseville whoever moves up out of that game. Now down South I don't know much about those teams. I would have said that Gilmer could play with the Eagles, but they went DII.

JasperDog94
11-09-2004, 03:15 PM
Sorry, but Jasper can't stop them....because they won't get to play them.;)

gobblerfan02
11-09-2004, 03:17 PM
let me first say that any team can be beaten on any given friday(or saturday due to playoffs)
there have been lots of positive things going around all about the decatur eagles, and yes they can be beaten, since i'm a homer, i do believe that cuero has a shot at them, but the gobblers need to take one game at a time, starting with a tough wc roughneck team, whose defense seems comparable to that of decatur, if the gobblers can get by them, who knows what will happen, also, other teams that have a shot at the eagles:

WOS
Jasper-fired up after their second loss, but went D2
Gilmer-unfortunately went D2, but still could test any D1 team
...and in Reg. 1, Decatur better watch out for a rematch w/ Gainsville

Those are the main competitors, but like i said ealier, anything could happen!
...even the WC roughnecks may have a shot!

BullFrog Dad
11-09-2004, 04:39 PM
Just got off the phone with overrated2004 and he thinks they won't make it past West.

koose
11-09-2004, 05:10 PM
With a passing team like Decatur the weather can beat you and the forecast for Friday night is calling for....North Winds 20 to 25 mph.

If Gainesville beats Graham and Decatur beats West it will be a good game. Gainesville is playing much better and will have a healthy Purvey(he had the flu in the first game and hurt his ankle) at RB and Franklin at LB. Both All state last year. Gainesville has really grown and gotten better as the year went on in the defensive backfield and at quarterback.

Bullaholic
11-09-2004, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by koose
With a passing team like Decatur the weather can beat you and the forecast for Friday night is calling for....North Winds 20 to 25 mph.

If Gainesville beats Graham and Decatur beats West it will be a good game. Gainesville is playing much better and will have a healthy Purvey(he had the flu in the first game and hurt his ankle) at RB and Franklin at LB. Both All state last year. Gainesville has really grown and gotten better as the year went on in the defensive backfield and at quarterback.

koose....What you say about the weather is true. However, I saw Dane in a monsoon rain game against the Bulls 2 years ago---nuthin' but spirals, and he ended up with pretty good passing yards that night.

Keith7
11-09-2004, 05:49 PM
koose....What you say about the weather is true. However, I saw Dane in a monsoon rain game against the Bulls 2 years ago---nuthin' but spirals, and he ended up with pretty good passing yards that night.

ask sweetwater how the wind can affect dane

Bullaholic
11-09-2004, 05:52 PM
ask sweetwater how the wind can affect dane

I think you're giving the wind too much credit, Keith. I think it was more Sweetwater, and less wind.

Keith7
11-09-2004, 05:56 PM
I think you're giving the wind too much credit, Keith. I think it was more Sweetwater, and less wind.

i just go by what i hear

Flourhead
11-09-2004, 05:58 PM
so far all i have heard is that the weather and decatur's own mistakes can beat decatur... lets say that when they play west, west's defense forces 4 or 5 turnovers... now are those decatur's mistakes or west just making great plays? if its just decatur's mistakes, then a team's own mistakes are the only way any good team can be beaten... i honestly dont see decatur beating gainesville a second time

Flourhead
11-09-2004, 05:58 PM
and that doesnt mean they wont beat them a second time because gainesville wont make it past graham... i believe gainesville will probably make it to the finals

Bullaholic
11-09-2004, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by Flourhead
so far all i have heard is that the weather and decatur's own mistakes can beat decatur... lets say that when they play west, west's defense forces 4 or 5 turnovers... now are those decatur's mistakes or west just making great plays? if its just decatur's mistakes, then a team's own mistakes are the only way any good team can be beaten... i honestly dont see decatur beating gainesville a second time

O.k. Flourhead...what kind of "dirt" does Keith7 have on you?

black&blue
11-09-2004, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by koose
Dont sell Decatur's rushing game short, Godbolt is a great back with great stats and they havn't even had to use him much yet...

slpybear the bullfan
11-09-2004, 10:12 PM
Legitimately, I think that...

Canyon
Cuero
WOS

...have the best shots.

Any given team can get beat on any night...

BUT...

You have to play the odds. And the odds look pretty good for Decatur.

Good luck to all teams,

LH Panther Mom
11-09-2004, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by Jody
I am not sure you stop them, but maybe outscore them. Liberty Hill maybe?

Nope, they're ahead of us.

gobbler grad
11-09-2004, 10:30 PM
looking at West's record Decatur's ballboys could win this one,,,Decatur wins easy, by at least 45 points, maybe more if they run the score up..

take no prisoners....

setex
11-09-2004, 10:40 PM
WO-S, if they can get by Silsbee will give Decatur all they want

They have a legit game breaker in jr Kenneth Beasley, strong kicking game and a SR QB who can throw. Plus their hungry, no playoffs in last 3yrs and Head Coach Dan Hooks.

Port_town_texas
11-10-2004, 01:10 AM
that's correct. I pick WO-S or Silsbee over this team.

KTJ
11-10-2004, 01:32 AM
I've got WOS and Decatur in the finals, with WOS winning the title.

Thanks Flourhead for the kind words about Gainesville. If we can pull the upset, that would be sweet! :D

tmac
11-10-2004, 10:46 AM
I Think that the Decatur and Gainsville game will not be even close.though Decatur has already beaten Gainsville (BADLY) 58-23 the only reason for 23 is the second and third stringers got some playing time. :devil:

pancho villa
11-10-2004, 10:53 AM
Cuero can't beat them cause they won't make it past the first round. Watch out for the NECKS.

koose
11-10-2004, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by tmac
I Think that the Decatur and Gainsville game will not be even close.though Decatur has already beaten Gainsville (BADLY) 58-23 the only reason for 23 is the second and third stringers got some playing time. :devil:

TMAC--- you either have a bad memory or you were not there -- You guys beat us bad, but the game was tied at 14-14 with 4 minutes to go in the first quarter. He is a piece of the write up from http://www.goredsports.com " The Leopards took over at their own 30-yard line and needed just 3 plays
to tie the game. Sutton hit Da'Ron Calhoun on a 58-yard TD pass.
Arenas' kick made it 14-14 with over 4 minutes left in the first period." I don't mind that you say you beat us bad because you did, but get your facts straight.

tmac
11-10-2004, 11:44 AM
yeah starting out good and finishing good are different stories playa.and i was there i saw the whole thing.okie state was beating texas was!!!!the final score is ALL that matters.its like that!!!!

repeat2002
11-10-2004, 12:26 PM
tmac - you're a real idiot - i'm sure most of the players and backers of decatur football pay as much attention to you there as they need to on 3a dl

koose
11-10-2004, 12:50 PM
TMAC-- not only do you not pay attention when you are watching football -- you cannot comprehend what you read.

How are those special ed classes going today? Do I need to type slower for you?

I was pointing out the error that you made that said we do not score on your 1st team defense, which we did. I did not dispute the final score. Know what you are talking about before you discuss it.

Z motion 10 out on 2
11-10-2004, 01:02 PM
Koose point taken. But I would suspect that the 2nd and 3rd teamers were in--in the 4th quarter which may have led to more scoring. All I can say is worry about Graham. They have a kid #12 Rogers that is so dang quick. Now they lost two valuable players the QB to grades and the FB to injury, nevertheless, they will still be a team to beat.

Phantom Stang
11-10-2004, 01:25 PM
Who can beat Decatur?
Any great running team. Such as Liberty Hill or Sweetwater.
Well shucks,they're both DII so y'all may luck-out after all! ;) :D

tmac
11-10-2004, 01:36 PM
repeat-im sure that when u find some friends u will have more time on your hands but until then ill tell u that i get more attention than u think i do.and koose the only classes im in are your moms sex ed classes,and by the way didnt say yall didnt score on 1st teamers i stated that the only reason u got 23 was 2nd and 3rd teamers.so koose on that

koose
11-10-2004, 01:44 PM
So -- you can't do that right either.

tmac
11-10-2004, 01:47 PM
......dude its okay that gainesville isnt god like this year get over it.You TRYING to diss me isnt gonna change anything player.come on now your just tryin to start some stuff,usually its me but im innocent 2day

thatboy
11-10-2004, 02:03 PM
Decatur lucky they are D1. If they were D2 they would have to deal with those MARLIN BULDOGS!

Chief Woodman
11-10-2004, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by Phantom Stang
Who can beat Decatur?
Any great running team. Such as Liberty Hill or Sweetwater.
Well shucks,they're both DII so y'all may luck-out after all! ;) :D

Wylie, Graham and Gainesville are good running teams. None did the job.

IHStangFan
11-10-2004, 02:28 PM
i wouldnt count Sinton or Cuero out just yet, Cuero has talent and Sinton has talent AND depth.

mustang04
11-10-2004, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by Chief Woodman
Wylie, Graham and Gainesville are good running teams. None did the job.

i dont think any of those have an explosive running game as sweetwater

Phantom Stang
11-10-2004, 02:47 PM
The final score of the Decatur-Graham game was 28-19 in y'alls favor. The Mustang Offense IMHO is at least 10 points better than the Steers' and the Defense is far from shabby.

Chief Woodman
11-10-2004, 03:20 PM
The final score of the Decatur-Graham game was 28-19 in y'alls favor. The Mustang Offense IMHO is at least 10 points better than the Steers' and the Defense is far from shabby.

You might have a point there. Trust me when I say that the Eagles would LOVE to play the stangs this year. I am thinking that the stangs do not feel the same about playing the Eagles however.

In truth ANY team can stop the Eagles. Most defenses use the goal line at the end of the play to do so. Once the Eagles cross that line they are stopped for now.

Keith7
11-10-2004, 03:24 PM
i dont think any of those have an explosive running game as sweetwater

haha lol.. just click the link

http://texasprepxtra.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=26465

Chief Woodman
11-10-2004, 03:26 PM

I was wondering if he knew who he was insulting. Thought you might show up to point it out.

repeat2002
11-10-2004, 03:27 PM
phantom stang - decatur 44 abilene wylie 7
abilene wylie 13 sweetwater 7

lets compare like opponents - not just guess at who has what better

GOFOR2
11-10-2004, 03:34 PM
you know who can stop Decatur?
EX LAX and alot of it!!

Chief Woodman
11-10-2004, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by repeat2002

OOPS!

^5 repeat

Chief Woodman
11-10-2004, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by GOFOR2
you know who can stop Decatur?
EX LAX and alot of it!!

No way dude! That would make them change from a passing team to a "running" team. It would stink the place up!

JasperDog94
11-10-2004, 03:37 PM
How about.......The Kansas City Chiefs?:D :D :D

(Those of you that haven't been around awhile might not get this one.)

JasperDog94
11-10-2004, 03:38 PM
No way dude! That would make them change from a passing team to a "running" team. It would stink the place up! Thanks for the visual there Chief...:hairpunk: :hairpunk:

GOFOR2
11-10-2004, 03:40 PM
you like that, huh? its all in fun, good luck to you.

Chief Woodman
11-10-2004, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by GOFOR2
you like that, huh? its all in fun, good luck to you.

Thanks for the humor. I saw the irony and just could not resist.

koose
11-10-2004, 04:31 PM
Keith,

I am glad you posted that link. If he wants to see some explosion go watch last years Gainesville highlight DVD.

Phantom Stang
11-10-2004, 04:35 PM
You might have a point there. Trust me when I say that the Eagles would LOVE to play the stangs this year. I am thinking that the stangs do not feel the same about playing the Eagles however.

I'd almost bet they're remembering the 2002 Mustangs when they wish for that. Believe me, this year's edition has a lot more speed in a lot more places. Being that I live 200 miles away, I haven't asked the team but I'm sure they would jump at the chance to play Decatur if ....Wait a minute! What do you mean, "the stangs do not feel the same"? Do you think they want a cakewalk to the title? Like any team worth their salt in the tournament, I'm sure they want to prove themselves against the best competition in the state!!

Chief Woodman
11-10-2004, 04:40 PM
I'd almost bet they're remembering the 2002 Mustangs when they wish for that. Believe me, this year's edition has a lot more speed in a lot more places. Being that I live 200 miles away, I haven't asked the team but I'm sure they would jump at the chance to play Decatur if ....Wait a minute! What do you mean, "the stangs do not feel the same"? Do you think they want a cakewalk to the title? Like any team worth their salt in the tournament, I'm sure they want to prove themselves against the best competition in the state!!

That is outstanding and I applaud you and the stangs for that attitude. It is one thing to just be glad you made the playoffs, it is another to hope you do well, and still yet another to want to prove you are the best. THAT is what competition is all about. Sweetwater is truly a class act. Good luck to the Stangs in the playoffs.

PS- (This is meant in all sencerity) it was really nice to see you describe the Eagles as "The best competition in the State".

Keith7
11-10-2004, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by tmac
......dude its okay that gainesville isnt god like this year get over it.You TRYING to diss me isnt gonna change anything player.come on now your just tryin to start some stuff,usually its me but im innocent 2day

i'll tell you know Gainesville hasnt been embarassed that bad since Everman beat them in the playoffs a few years ago..

I know the coaches are looking forward to a second chance.. and will be more then ready to take decatur on a second time..

look for a healthy purvey this time and look for the score to be ALOT closer

Phantom Stang
11-10-2004, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by repeat2002

I used Graham as an example due to their option based attack,which is most similar to Sweetwater's. I think that's a better indicater of how we'd match up.:cool:

Your right however, y'all beat Wylie and they beat us.:rolleyes:

mustang04
11-10-2004, 06:34 PM

haha...u think that since u haved that ranked running back it makes yalls running game more explosive.....HAHA i guaruntee you sweetwater has way more options, like joseph banyard, skye greene, kendal carrillo, and jeremy thompson at QB who has alot of speed....thats why we dont have just ONE standout, cuz we are able to balance out all the running....i would love to see the mustangs play gainsville

Keith7
11-10-2004, 06:45 PM
haha...u think that since u haved that ranked running back it makes yalls running game more explosive.....HAHA i guaruntee you sweetwater has way more options, like joseph banyard, skye greene, kendal carrillo, and jeremy thompson at QB who has alot of speed....thats why we dont have just ONE standout, cuz we are able to balance out all the running....i would love to see the mustangs play gainsville

lol.. your still funny cuz our backup's stats look like this

105 attempts 993yards 14td's

do the math.. thats a 9 ypc average.. not explosive eh???

mustang04
11-10-2004, 06:47 PM
lol.. your still funny cuz our backup's stats look like this

105 attempts 993yards 14td's

do the math.. thats a 9 ypc average.. not explosive eh???

i still think we have more threats and thats the glory of it cuz thats what i think.....4 very good runners in our backfield

mustang04
11-10-2004, 06:54 PM

PS- (This is meant in all sencerity) it was really nice to see you describe the Eagles as "The best competition in the State".

dont get me wrong.....as much as i would love to see yall play the mustangs and yall play, and i know how good yall are, theres no way you'd see the players for sweetwater put their tails behind their legs, playing teams like Decatur, you have to stand up to them before you can beat them

im rootin for yall to win state D1...dont let me down

Phantom Stang
11-10-2004, 08:01 PM
Let me say that I've met a lot of fine people who are from Decatur since I've lived in the Metroplex. Y'all support the Eagles win or lose and I respect that.

I have to say,I was at the 2002 game and it had the most exciting finish I've ever seen at any level of football. I was afraid y'all scored!!

c-town_balla
11-10-2004, 08:31 PM
I would say who ever beats Decatur can stop them