PDA

View Full Version : Maurice Clarett: I Got Cash, Cars at Ohio State

Keith7
11-09-2004, 11:25 AM
Ending six months of silence, former Ohio State running back Maurice Clarett has told ESPN The Magazine in this week's edition that he "took the fall" for the school during a 2003 NCAA investigation and that he's talking now because he wants to "clear his name" with National Football League owners and general managers.

Clarett says that while he was at Ohio State in 2002 and 2003 head coach Jim Tressel, as well as certain members of his staff and boosters, provided him with improper benefits. He says he covered up Tressel's improprieties during the NCAA investigation and afterward, Ohio State "blackballed'' him from the football program.

According to Clarett, Tressel arranged loaner cars for him and Tressel's brother, Dick, found him lucrative landscaping jobs that he did not even have to show up for. He says members of Tressel's staff also introduced him to boosters who'd slip him thousands of dollars, and the better he played, the more cash he'd receive. He says boosters eventually began inviting him into their homes or would meet him out in the community

"When you'd leave, [the booster] sets you straight," Clarett told The Magazine. "They say, 'You got any money in your pocket?' They make sure your money's straight."

Clarett also says he likely would have been ineligible for Ohio State's national title season of 2002 if the football staff had not "aligned'' him with an academic advisor whose goal was simply to keep him eligible. He says the academic advisor enrolled him in Independent Study courses and also put him with hand-picked teachers who would pass him whether he attended their classes or not. He says his advisor also introduced him to a tutor who prepared outlines and told him what to write for assignments.

Another former Ohio State player, linebacker Marco Cooper (2000-01; Spring 2002), corroborated many of Clarett's comments. Cooper, who was suspended from the team following two arrests for drug possession, says he also had bogus landscaping jobs, that a booster helped furnish his apartment, and that he was able to borrow cars from local Columbus dealerships in exchange for signed OSU memorabilia.

Another former Buckeyes player, current Maryland running back Sammy Maldonado, says he was placed in so many courses that did not put him on the road to graduation that only 17 of a possible 40 credits earned would transfer to his new school.

Ohio State officials have declined to comment on many of the allegations. School President Karen Holbrook, Jim Tressel and Dick Tressel refused to respond through spokespersons, while Athletic Director Andy Geiger said he would not answer questions until after the magazine story appeared, if then.

"We went through a yearlong investigation of our academic programs, everything that [Clarett] has to allege,'' Geiger said. "He vowed to me that he would do something to try to get us and this may be what he's trying to do. So he's on his own.

"We dealt with this guy [Clarett] for 18 months. I just hope you've checked into the background and history of who you're dealing with.''

Clarett's former academic advisor and tutor also declined comment. The NCAA, which investigated Clarett for potential academic and financial irregularities in the summer of 2003, said it is against its policy to discuss the Clarett case.

Clarett, 21, who gained 1,237 yards and scored 18 touchdowns in 2002, his only collegiate season, says he was asked during the 2003 NCAA investigation whether he received a loaner car from Tressel, and, to protect the coach, he says, he answered no. He says when he was asked about other indiscretions, he answered, "I don't know" or "I don't remember," which was a violation of NCAA Rule 10.1, requiring forthright answers.

"What would have become of Ohio State if I said everything?'' Clarett told The Magazine. "Half the team would have been suspended, and it would have been worse for everybody. I was like, 'Why don't I just take it?'"

The school suspended him for the entire 2003 season, and when Clarett asked to be reinstated for 2004, he says the athletic department systematically "blackballed him" by taking away the teachers and tutors.

Clarett then tried applying for the 2004 NFL Draft, and was first ruled eligible and then ineligible, because he wasn't the requisite three years removed from high school. He says he was "depressed" by the court's ultimate decision to ban him, but is now working out in anticipation of the 2005 draft in April. He says he is hoping this winter to play in this winter's East-West Shrine game and the Senior Bowl, all-star invitationals that would be his first football games in two years.

Several pro executives say, as of now, the running back could go as low as the fourth or fifth round. Clarett contends he will change any negative perceptions at the NFL combine in February.

"I'm thinking, 'NFL GMs know college players take money,' " Clarett says. "It was nothing like I stole something. Nothing like I'm running from the law or I'm dragging a girl down the stairs. No domestic violence. No nothing. I got to clear myself up now, because it's affecting the minds of the GMs."

http://espn.starwave.com/media/ncf/2004/1109/photo/w_clarett_i.jpg

[b]By Tom Friend and Ryan Hockensmith
ESPN The Magazine

IHStangFan
11-09-2004, 11:26 AM
that dude is such an F'in worm

tmac
11-09-2004, 11:34 AM
clarett is a stud and i believe him because crap like that does happen and no1 hears about it

IHStangFan
11-09-2004, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by tmac
clarett is a stud and i believe him because crap like that does happen and no1 hears about it no doubt hes a stud...but hes a punk and has alot of growing up to do or so it seems.

tmac
11-09-2004, 11:41 AM
how so????

IHStangFan
11-09-2004, 11:43 AM
how so???? how long have you followed this guy? nothing but trouble, always has been.

tmac
11-09-2004, 11:44 AM
what has he done other than accepting what every other person alive would do?Hes done nothing but accept takin stuff given to him.Other than this case what else???

Phil C
11-09-2004, 11:45 AM
clarett is a stud and i believe him because crap like that does happen and no1 hears about it

Say it isn't so tmac! :eek:

IHStangFan
11-09-2004, 11:49 AM
taking bribes...thats only the tip of the iceberg...so again i ask you...how long have you followed this clown? how bout the throwing a fit and taking the NFL to court because he didnt like the eligibility rule of 3 seasons removed from HS before you can enter the NFL? shall i go on? the dude is a PUNK.

Phil C
11-09-2004, 11:53 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Keith7
[B Geiger said. "He vowed to me that he would do something to try to get us and this may be what he's trying to do. So he's on his own.

"We dealt with this guy [Clarett] for 18 months. I just hope you've checked into the background and history of who you're dealing with.''

Why didn't Ohio State check into his background and history before they recruited him?

tmac
11-09-2004, 11:55 AM
mike williams tried to do the exact same thing but he doesnt get ragged on because hes considerd a "good guy" compared to the provacative clarett that made 1 mistake and now he supposidly is a punk for wanting to play in the nfl???where is the crime in wanting to play football at its highest level???there isnt 1

IHStangFan
11-09-2004, 11:59 AM
okay...i guess that means you want me to go on....

how bout the chit he pulled w/ the "i'm gonna go or i'm not playing" attitude he displayed when he failed to submit the required paperwork to attend a funeral, it was his lack of responsibility that caused that mix up.........he couldnt make the grades.........he borrowed a car, which was broken into and items were stolen..then when he reported it...he grossly inflated the value of the items...thats insurance fraud......hes a PUNK

Keith7
11-09-2004, 11:59 AM
mike williams tried to do the exact same thing but he doesnt get ragged on because hes considerd a "good guy" compared to the provacative clarett that made 1 mistake and now he supposidly is a punk for wanting to play in the nfl???where is the crime in wanting to play football at its highest level???there isnt 1

the only thing mike williams and Clarett have in common is that they tryed both tryed to enter the draft early, Mike Williams never took gifts or brives like Clarett did...

Mike Williams also keeps his mouth to the media.. maybe if Clarett didnt speak out like this people wouldnt cast him off as a bad guy

jason
11-09-2004, 12:06 PM
mike williams tried to do the exact same thing but he doesnt get ragged on because hes considerd a "good guy" compared to the provacative clarett that made 1 mistake and now he supposidly is a punk for wanting to play in the nfl???where is the crime in wanting to play football at its highest level???there isnt 1 their league, their rules...he needs to get over it :tongue:

IHStangFan
11-09-2004, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by jason
their league, their rules...he needs to get over it :tongue: LOL!!! Jason, dude, you sig line SUCKS....thats just cold man!! crazy bastage :clap:

District303aPastPlayer
11-09-2004, 12:10 PM
i noticed that too. . . but hey, to explayers credit, he IS takin this rahter well. . . i guess, considering we dont know how he feels. . .

jason
11-09-2004, 12:12 PM
he has already pm'd be askin what it would take to let him post again...:D

IHStangFan
11-09-2004, 12:14 PM
he has already pm'd be askin what it would take to let him post again...:D LOL!!!

tmac
11-09-2004, 12:16 PM
maybe its just me keith but im pretty sure thats exactly what i said.and yeah it is their league and rules didnt say it wasnt im sayin who wouldnt take that stuff if given the oppurtunity.dont care what u say wont believe any1 who says other wise.and im with to in one perspective(dont like him but agree)ray lewis(1 of my fav players) can murder some1 and still play its forgotten no biggie to the nfl or football.But somethin like a td dance in this case takin bribes isnt acceptable in anyway and god forbid he wants to be in the nfl.if some1 wants to sign him let them and the consequences are his and that teams just as in osu

District303aPastPlayer
11-09-2004, 12:17 PM
19 days huh. . . i say he waits 19 days . . .

TheDOCTORdre
11-09-2004, 12:18 PM
ray lewis(1 of my fav players) can murder some1 and still play its forgotten no biggie to the nfl or football
Never was proven guilty

District303aPastPlayer
11-09-2004, 12:18 PM
maybe its just me keith but im pretty sure thats exactly what i said.and yeah it is their league and rules didnt say it wasnt im sayin who wouldnt take that stuff if given the oppurtunity.dont care what u say wont believe any1 who says other wise.and im with to in one perspective(dont like him but agree)ray lewis(1 of my fav players) can murder some1 and still play its forgotten no biggie to the nfl or football.But somethin like a td dance in this case takin bribes isnt acceptable in anyway and god forbid he wants to be in the nfl.if some1 wants to sign him let them and the consequences are his and that teams just as in osu

what the hell does this mean??

IHStangFan
11-09-2004, 12:20 PM
maybe its just me keith but im pretty sure thats exactly what i said.and yeah it is their league and rules didnt say it wasnt im sayin who wouldnt take that stuff if given the oppurtunity.dont care what u say wont believe any1 who says other wise.and im with to in one perspective(dont like him but agree)ray lewis(1 of my fav players) can murder some1 and still play its forgotten no biggie to the nfl or football.But somethin like a td dance in this case takin bribes isnt acceptable in anyway and god forbid he wants to be in the nfl.if some1 wants to sign him let them and the consequences are his and that teams just as in osu tmac...bro...none of us are denying that hes an awesome RB....i just dont like the guys character...and for valid reasons....i think he needs to do alot of growing up and maturing to be REALLY successful...in the NFL..and hell..in LIFE. he makes stupid decisions. he may make the NFL...but if he doesnt change his ways...i see another David Boston story in the making...GREAT athelete...but his troubles OFF the field affect his ON field performances....thats all i'm getting at. ya can take the kid outa the ghetto...but you can never take the ghetto outa the kid....that phrase fits Clarett to a T.

tmac
11-09-2004, 12:25 PM
if u dont know what it means district thats probably cuz i wasnt talkin to u.and yeah lewis wasnt proven guilty doesnt mean he didnt participate.oj was innocent too!!!!:eek:

Macarthur
11-09-2004, 12:27 PM
I don't particulary like Clarett, but I don't think he's any different than many college players. We all know this is going on; we just like for it to be kept quite.

IHStangFan
11-09-2004, 12:27 PM
.oj was innocent too!!!!:eek: LOL!!!! dude....NO HE WASNT! but money talks, murderers walk. pretty sad.

Keith7
11-09-2004, 12:29 PM
he has already pm'd be askin what it would take to let him post again...:D

http://img4.exs.cx/img4/9153/threadpirates.jpg

tmac
11-09-2004, 12:30 PM
i know i was sayin that like the ray lewis.it was a joke player

IHStangFan
11-09-2004, 12:32 PM
i know i was sayin that like the ray lewis.it was a joke player yeah, i know, i was just givin ya a hard time.

tmac
11-09-2004, 01:44 PM
got me:clap:

scrub c
11-09-2004, 01:48 PM
who ever said clarett is a punk...............

i agree

tmac
11-09-2004, 01:49 PM
...................its too late

handNthedirt
11-09-2004, 02:02 PM
If he's willing to jeopordize his future in the NFL by knowingly breaking the NCAA's rules, what is this guy going to do when he's a multi-millionaire? Can you say drug dealer and Future inmate #JPC-14258-4435

IHStangFan
11-09-2004, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by handNthedirt
If he's willing to jeopordize his future in the NFL by knowingly breaking the NCAA's rules, what is this guy going to do when he's a multi-millionaire? Can you say drug dealer and Future inmate #JPC-14258-4435 +1....thats bout what it boils down to if he doesnt grow up and get his head on straight.

big daddy russ
11-09-2004, 02:32 PM
Two completely different cases. Clarrett won his decision, then NFL LEAGUE EXECUTIVES (not just GM's) came to Williams to see if he would enter his name early. He was going to be a top-15 pick and was guaranteed more money than he'd ever get with a college degree. He thought it over and said yes. Then, when the decision was reversed, he was told he couldn't go back to the NCAA game because he had already hired an agent. But he had already given back all the money given to him by sponsors and any products he had endorsed. Completely different case, much higher character than Clarrett.

That being said, I believe this worm might be telling the truth. You have two guys backing up his story. OK, one may be a drug dealer, but the other's still playing college ball and actually working on his degree. What if he isn't lying?

Chief Woodman
11-09-2004, 02:43 PM
what has he done other than accepting what every other person alive would do?Hes done nothing but accept takin stuff given to him.Other than this case what else???

Tmac,

Please reconsider your statements here. To say that "what every other person alive would do" is a gross misunderstanding.

First, to think that "everyone does it" when it comes to breaking rules is an excuse by trying to compare ourselfs with the mystical "Them or they". When this is done we usually try to compare to known cases of terrible wrongdoing. Why is it we do not compare our faults with say...Mother Terresa or Billy Graham? Because the truth condems us, therefore we want to compare ourselfs to someone who makes us look better than we really are. If your correct that "every other person" would knowingly break the rules is correct then our society is in much worse shape than many of us have feared.

Last, let me assure you that "every other person" would NOT have done this. Look at Jim Wacker of TCU. There are many people you know who that have enough character to have not done this. Just look at your coaches and parents of friends- do you think they all would willing do something as wrong as this? I can assure you I would not have done that. How do I know? I have been offered oportunities to break the rules in public life involving money many, many times. So far in my 45 years, I have not given into the temptation. But it is usally the last time I have anything to do with the person who is trying to get me to do so.

What Mr. Clarette is now saying may indeed be 100% true. But NO ONE made him take the money or cars. HE chose to do so and is therefore culpable.