PDA

View Full Version : hey, i need some computer help...

jason
11-09-2004, 09:04 AM
...my computer has some sort of virus and i CANNOT figure out how to get rid of it...when i run a virus scan (nai stinger AND mcafee) it gets to a certain point in my Windows32 directory and it shuts down and reboots the computer, the odd thing is that i cant run in safe mode, it just restarts and makes you run normal....PLEASE HELP....GRRRRRRRRRR :mad: :mad: :mad:

99IHSMustang
11-09-2004, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by jason
...my computer has some sort of virus and i CANNOT figure out how to get rid of it...when i run a virus scan (nai stinger AND mcafee) it gets to a certain point in my Windows32 directory and it shuts down and reboots the computer, the odd thing is that i cant run in safe mode, it just restarts and makes you run normal....PLEASE HELP....GRRRRRRRRRR :mad: :mad: :mad:

Do you get any error messages? Do you know in fact that it is a virus and not some spyware? Try running a spyware removal utility.

99IHSMustang
11-09-2004, 09:27 AM
I am not sure what virus you may have if that is the case but here is a link that gives you some removal tools for virus variants.

http://us.mcafee.com/virusInfo/default.asp?id=vrt

jason
11-09-2004, 09:28 AM
thats what spybot is...it shuts itself down once it gets to the windows32 directory...and whatever it is totally disabled my adaware, it wont even start, it gives a file corrupt error...its not spyware, its some sort of trojan, before mcafee shut down earlier it deleted a trojan called notepad.com/trojan, so i dunno...everything seems to be working fine now, im just afraid to run a virus/spyware scan...

jason
11-09-2004, 09:30 AM
theres a GREAT virus scan at www.vil.nai.com/vil/stinger, but whatever i have shuts it down...and this one is the most up to date i can find...everything seems to run fine when i use mozilla and not explorer...

IHStangFan
11-09-2004, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by 99IHSMustang
I am not sure what virus you may have if that is the case but here is a link that gives you some removal tools for virus variants.

http://us.mcafee.com/virusInfo/default.asp?id=vrt whats shakin Mr. Flores?? man..i have some sorta spyware on my laptop that its giving me fits as well....no matter WHAT i run, or remove....the little spyware popups seem to find their way back.....i'm fixin to say F internet explorer and run stricktly netscape.

jason
11-09-2004, 09:31 AM

http://us.mcafee.com/virusInfo/default.asp?id=vrt ha, all the downloads are direct links to the url i posted...mcafee is all in the same i guess...thanks though...

jason
11-09-2004, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
whats shakin Mr. Flores?? man..i have some sorta spyware on my laptop that its giving me fits as well....no matter WHAT i run, or remove....the little spyware popups seem to find their way back.....i'm fixin to say F internet explorer and run stricktly netscape. Mozilla Firefox (http://www.mozilla.org/) - Browser

SpyBot Search and Destroy (http://www.download.com/Spybot-Search-Destroy/3000-8022_4-10289035.html?tag=lst-0-1) - SpyWare Removal

AdAware (http://www.download.com/Ad-Aware-SE-Personal-Edition/3000-8022_4-10319876.html?tag=lst-0-2) - SpyWare Removal

big daddy russ
11-09-2004, 09:35 AM
Hey guys, me next... my Dell computer that is maybe six months old is running slower than my Gateway which is about four years old. For some reason, it takes forever to load the Start menu. I even timed it- 29 seconds just to pull up the menu. I figured I had Spyware so I ran Spysweeper. No dice. Then I ran a virus scan. Nothing again. It's not like I download MP3's and I don't do any hacking. I called Dell's awesome Tech Support and in the best English he could muster the technician gave me that all-too-famous Dell line, "I tink eet ees time for you to start from scratch." I fixed my Gateway without having to reload Windows, any suggestions on this?

jason
11-09-2004, 09:37 AM
try running the spybot program and maybe defragmenting your hard drive....dont get me started on dell's though lol...good luck

99IHSMustang
11-09-2004, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
whats shakin Mr. Flores?? man..i have some sorta spyware on my laptop that its giving me fits as well....no matter WHAT i run, or remove....the little spyware popups seem to find their way back.....i'm fixin to say F internet explorer and run stricktly netscape.

Try this spyware removal utiliy. I have a co-worker that said he used this utility on something similar to what you were talking about.

http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/x-Download-8114.html

IHStangFan
11-09-2004, 09:41 AM
Try this spyware removal utiliy. I have a co-worker that said he used this utility on something similar to what you were talking about.

http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/x-Download-8114.html thanks bro.

big daddy russ
11-09-2004, 09:42 AM
try running the spybot program and maybe defragmenting your hard drive....dont get me started on dell's though lol...good luck
Already defragged both my hard drive and my memory. But I might try spybot... oh Jason, I know that two virus scans can't operate at the same time. One will mess with the other's registry. I don't know if spyware remover is the same, but you might want to try removing one temporarily just to see if anything changes.

99IHSMustang
11-09-2004, 09:44 AM
I also have a file that places keys within the registry that completely blocks out the most common spyware. If you want it along with instructions just PM me and give me an e-mail address and I will e-mail it to you.

jason
11-09-2004, 09:49 AM
i just downloaded this program and it does a deep scan on all files, memory, and registry...it found 75 'threats' in my registry

http://www.intermute.com/spysubtract/cwshredder/092704/

jason
11-09-2004, 09:54 AM
i just ran the above program and it shut my computer down at the same point as the others...when it was scanning the Windows32 files....GRRRRRRRRRr

99IHSMustang
11-09-2004, 09:57 AM
i just ran the above program and it shut my computer down at the same point as the others...when it was scanning the Windows32 files....GRRRRRRRRRr

You may be SOL unless you can find out what virus you have to pick it out of the registry..... <------that is no fun either.

jason
11-09-2004, 09:57 AM
im not even gonna attempt to pick and choose from the registry lol

Bullaholic
11-09-2004, 10:13 AM

Jason....you need to get McAfee to run a "DOS" scan, instead of running under windows. Read your docs about running a "DOS" scan, or contact McAfee tech support (may be a fee involved). That way the windows files will not interfere and stop the scan.

jason
11-09-2004, 10:15 AM
uhm, i dont have any docs (do you mean paperwork?) the copy i have wasnt obtained in the manner in which it was intended lol....if you know what i mean ;)...and i would have no clue how to run a DOS scan....

99IHSMustang
11-09-2004, 10:19 AM
uhm, i dont have any docs (do you mean paperwork?) the copy i have wasnt obtained in the manner in which it was intended lol....if you know what i mean ;)...and i would have no clue how to run a DOS scan....

Your best bet is just to go ahead and re-image the system. Unless time is not a factor and you don't care how much time you spend fixing this problem. Obviously it hasn't been. I would give about another day's research and if I found nothing I would go ahead and re-image it just for safe measures.

jason
11-09-2004, 10:21 AM
im gonna talk to one of my many computer professors and see what she thinks...if all else fails ill just refomat and start from scratch....

99IHSMustang
11-09-2004, 10:25 AM
im gonna talk to one of my many computer professors and see what she thinks...if all else fails ill just refomat and start from scratch....

Hey man keep me informed on this if she finds a fix.... I always love learning from people that are more knowledgeable in the IT field.

Bullaholic
11-09-2004, 10:25 AM

Try this link:

http://ts.mcafeehelp.com/faq3.asp?docid=401

99IHSMustang
11-09-2004, 10:31 AM
Jason, one last attemp could be:

Try slaving the current hard drive on another system and then running McAfee again on the slave drive.

onfirebball05mustang
11-09-2004, 10:31 AM
i just have one thing to say...jason can't figure out a computer problem...?? mr. perfection eh? HA:rolleyes:

jason
11-09-2004, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Try this link:

http://ts.mcafeehelp.com/faq3.asp?docid=401 i tried it, but my computer wont let me start in safe mode...it freezes...im gonna try from the dos promt in windows and see if that will work

jason
11-09-2004, 10:41 AM
Jason, one last attemp could be:

Try slaving the current hard drive on another system and then running McAfee again on the slave drive. blah, i dont do hardware...and i dont have another system sitting around i can use

jason
11-09-2004, 03:26 PM
ok, nothing so far has worked...all virus/spyware scans stop and shut down the computer at the same c:windows32 file, even a web based virus scan didnt work....i cant run mcafee from DOS, when i try to run safe mode, it restarts to normal mode....it looks like im gonna have to either format my hard drive or try to repair the current windows version...GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

fruckin computer nerds....:mad:

onfirebball05mustang
11-09-2004, 03:29 PM
:nerd:

cdlvj
11-09-2004, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Hey guys, me next... my Dell computer that is maybe six months old is running slower than my Gateway which is about four years old. For some reason, it takes forever to load the Start menu. I even timed it- 29 seconds just to pull up the menu. I figured I had Spyware so I ran Spysweeper. No dice. Then I ran a virus scan. Nothing again. It's not like I download MP3's and I don't do any hacking. I called Dell's awesome Tech Support and in the best English he could muster the technician gave me that all-too-famous Dell line, "I tink eet ees time for you to start from scratch." I fixed my Gateway without having to reload Windows, any suggestions on this?

Have you seen the commercial where the man in bed calls Dell, and a normal kid from the US answers. This ought to be false advertising.

cdlvj
11-09-2004, 03:41 PM
You may have a corrupt dll, try the repair mode with your install CDROM.

jason
11-09-2004, 03:41 PM
theres not a repair mode...just an upgrade or a new install

cdlvj
11-09-2004, 03:43 PM
is this XP?

jason
11-09-2004, 03:44 PM
xp pro

cdlvj
11-09-2004, 03:58 PM
Any idea which file?

http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;314058&spid=1173&sid=216

You can use this tool to see if you can fixate on the problem.

jason
11-09-2004, 03:59 PM
nah, its scanning so fast you cant read individual files...just the c:windows32 part

cdlvj
11-09-2004, 04:06 PM
win 98 had a nice tool msinfo32.exe where you could run and check all the dll files, and if it found one that was bad, you could simply copy in the one from the CDROM.

I don't see anything for XP like that.

jason
11-09-2004, 04:09 PM
yeah, and the instructions to press R or f10 to run the repair isnt working :mad:

onfirebball05mustang
11-09-2004, 04:34 PM
yeah, and the instructions to press R or f10 to run the repair isnt working :mad:

hm...

jason
11-09-2004, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by onfirebball05mustang
hm... :nerd:

11TARPON
11-09-2004, 05:01 PM
I need computer help to get rid of this rookie label.

jason
11-09-2004, 05:13 PM
its gone

99IHSMustang
11-09-2004, 05:20 PM
its gone

Do you mean the problem with your machine is gone?

jason
11-09-2004, 05:23 PM
Do you mean the problem with your machine is gone? no, his 'rookie' label is gone...my problem is still there, it looks like im gonna have to reinstall windows :mad:

99IHSMustang
11-09-2004, 05:26 PM
no, his 'rookie' label is gone...my problem is still there, it looks like im gonna have to reinstall windows :mad:

You can't win them all Jason... I could get down and dirty with the problem but I charge 80/hr. For you though Jason I will knock of 10 bucks...... J/K

jason
11-09-2004, 05:30 PM
ha, how bout you just come to the house and ill order pizza and put some beer on ice...im sure we would have a good time...:D :D :D

3afan
11-09-2004, 05:43 PM
everyone stop using Internet Explorer NOW for your own good ... go with Netscape or Mozila !!!

jason
11-09-2004, 05:56 PM
daddy my computer is broken :weeping: :weeping: :weeping: :weeping: :weeping: :weeping: :weeping:

Comeaux
11-09-2004, 08:53 PM
GET A MAC!

Sorry! I resisted as long as I could.

cdlvj
11-11-2004, 12:06 PM
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;315341

refer to the above link, as there is a repair part.

spiveyrat
11-11-2004, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by Comeaux
GET A MAC!

Sorry! I resisted as long as I could.

IMHO, buying a Mac does nothing but severely limit computing capability. Not because they are inferior but because of the amount of available software. Macs have their niche, but for general computing, PC's offer more versatility.

jason
11-11-2004, 01:16 PM
ive tried everything....im havin a computer fixin party tonight at my house lol...im gonna have a reformatted hard drive come tomorrow morning....

onfirebball05mustang
11-11-2004, 01:21 PM
:nerd:

hey i'm generally concerned! I've asked all our tech aides and they've said to use it for skeet....:thinking:

99IHSMustang
11-11-2004, 01:29 PM
Actually, you said that it shuts down right about the same point right Jason? Does your computer act funny besides that in any way? I would go ahead and fine a HD utility for that hard drive and run a diagnostics check on it. It is possible that you could have a bad sector and when you hit that sector your OS doesn't like it. I know that if you right click my computer and go to properties and then go to the advance tab then click on start up and recovery and then settings there is an option that restarts the machine after an error. If this is checked uncheck it and then try to run the virus scan again and see what error is displayed.

jason
11-11-2004, 01:37 PM
thats the weird thing, it runs fine...it just shuts down whenever i run a virus scan or spyware, which could kick me in the butt in the long run...we're gonna try to boot from my xp cd and run a repair, but if that doesnt work, im just gonna reformat...ive been burning cd's all day just in case thats what i have to do...which isnt all that bad, it'll be like having a brand new computer once im all done.....IF i can get all the fruckin drivers i need, i hate searching for those darn things....

99IHSMustang
11-11-2004, 01:40 PM
thats the weird thing, it runs fine...it just shuts down whenever i run a virus scan or spyware, which could kick me in the butt in the long run...we're gonna try to boot from my xp cd and run a repair, but if that doesnt work, im just gonna reformat...ive been burning cd's all day just in case thats what i have to do...which isnt all that bad, it'll be like having a brand new computer once im all done.....IF i can get all the fruckin drivers i need, i hate searching for those darn things....

Did you try what I posted above. Are you running XP? If so how old is your machine?

jason
11-11-2004, 01:49 PM
its scanning right now, its passed the point where it was restarting and its found no viruses and gave no errors...my machine is goin on 3 years old and i have xp pro....

99IHSMustang
11-11-2004, 01:55 PM
its scanning right now, its passed the point where it was restarting and its found no viruses and gave no errors...my machine is goin on 3 years old and i have xp pro....

So whas the option to restart the machine checked?

jason
11-11-2004, 01:56 PM
yes, i unchecked it, and ran the mcafee...and its past the point where it would have restarted and it gave no error and found no virus.....im confused now lol...

...and its still scanning, i started it RIGHT after you gave those instructions....

99IHSMustang
11-11-2004, 02:15 PM
yes, i unchecked it, and ran the mcafee...and its past the point where it would have restarted and it gave no error and found no virus.....im confused now lol...

...and its still scanning, i started it RIGHT after you gave those instructions....

Go ahead and get a HD utility from the maker of the hard drive off the Internet. Run the diagnostics on it. You might have a bad sector on your hard drive.

jason
11-11-2004, 02:42 PM
k, the virus scan finally shut down and it went to a dark navy blue screen (not the blue screen of death) and it had an error that said page_fault_in_non-paged_area

99IHSMustang
11-11-2004, 02:46 PM
k, the virus scan finally shut down and it went to a dark navy blue screen (not the blue screen of death) and it had an error that said page_fault_in_non-paged_area

Have you added any hardware lately to your machine? Just for safe measure go ahead and use the HD diagnostic utility from the manufacturer from the HD. If that comes back fine then we can rule out the HD as being the source of the problem.

jason
11-11-2004, 03:25 PM
no, no hew hardware...i downloaded and ran the diagnostics test and it didnt find anything...its probably a corrupt file or something...im sick of messing with it lol...

onfirebball05mustang
11-11-2004, 03:26 PM
the never ending computer problem...i still vote for the skeet option lol:thinking:

jason
11-11-2004, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by onfirebball05mustang
the never ending computer problem...i still vote for the skeet option lol:thinking: nobody asked you :tongue:

onfirebball05mustang
11-11-2004, 03:29 PM
:(
just a thought:crying:

cdlvj
11-11-2004, 03:31 PM
You know it could be memory, I have had two computers go down this past month, were built at the same time, replaced the memory and back up.

jason
11-11-2004, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by cdlvj
You know it could be memory, I have had two computers go down this past month, were built at the same time, replaced the memory and back up. its not memory...thanks though...

jason
11-14-2004, 12:29 AM
well, we've definitely got it narrowed down to a bad mother board...im on a loaner for now, hopefully mine will be fixed soon, its gonna be tough to find a motherboard that will run with my processor...grr....

thanks for all your suggestions and tips...i learned a few things...

CHS_CG
11-14-2004, 12:35 AM
Jason I think you need more than just computer help

Comeaux
11-16-2004, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by spiveyrat
IMHO, buying a Mac does nothing but severely limit computing capability. Not because they are inferior but because of the amount of available software. Macs have their niche, but for general computing, PC's offer more versatility.

But we don't get bugs.
What software do you use that you can't get fot the Mac ?

Comeaux
11-16-2004, 08:39 PM
If you have thought of any yet - please let me know.