PDA

View Full Version : UT is World's 15th Best University

Phil C
11-08-2004, 03:13 PM
Accorting to the Times Newspaper in the UK. Harvard was rated No. 1. They used academic grading standards and must have been objective and unbiased because they had Oxford University at No. 5. No other Texas school made the top 25 which includes Rice, Texas A&M, Texas Tech or even Texas A&M at Kingsville :mad: . Also the top 25 list didn't include Notre Dame, The University of Paris in France, Berlin State University in Germany or even the University of Oklahoma!!
:confused:

onfirebball05mustang
11-08-2004, 03:15 PM
:eek: that's interesting...

pirate44
11-08-2004, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
......No other Texas school made the top 25 which includes .....Texas A&M at Kingsville .....
Are these people crazy??!! what kinda commie rag would write this nonsense??!!:mad: :mad:

onfirebball05mustang
11-08-2004, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by pirate44
Are these people crazy??!! what kinda commie rag would write this nonsense??!!:mad: :mad:
lol....you have to wonder..

sahen
11-08-2004, 05:31 PM
do u have a link phil? just curious, i'd like to take a look at it

Phil C
11-08-2004, 05:45 PM
Sorry I don't have one sahen and am lost as to how to get it. I got it from one of the posts on the texas sports message board. :(

sahen
11-08-2004, 05:48 PM
Sorry I don't have one sahen and am lost as to how to get it. I got it from one of the posts on the texas sports message board. :(

oh ok...alright then i'll go look for it after a while..thanks though

cdlvj
11-08-2004, 06:22 PM
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,591-1343946,00.html

World News and Report rates Texas 46th among US schools, the 15th does not compute.

KTJ
11-08-2004, 06:24 PM

PhiI C
11-08-2004, 06:27 PM
Thank you KTJ and cdl!

NSUTrumpet08
11-08-2004, 06:39 PM
Wow...that is very interesting to see...yay for UT i guess...Harvard with that $23 billion endowment...they're way too rich...lol...too bad i don't see NSU on there...haha...

sahen
11-08-2004, 06:40 PM
http://images.thetimes.co.uk/TGD/picture/0,,157854,00.jpg

after researching the site a bit i found this too, the criteria:

"Universities were placed in the table with the help of findings from a survey for the THES of 1,300 academics in 88 countries. They were asked to name the best institutions in the fields that they felt knowledgeable about.

The table also included data on the amount of cited research produced by faculty members as an indicator of intellectual vitality, the ratio of faculty to student numbers and a university's success in attracting foreign students and internationally renowned academics in the global market for education. The five factors were weighted and transformed against a scale that gave the top university 1,000 points and ranked everyone else as a proportion of that score."

so basically i get this as the criteria:
1) Opinion poll of people in the know (THES is people right? it says THES = The Times Higher Academic Survey)
2) Research
3) Faculty to Student Ratio
4) Success in attracting International Students
5) International Opinion of the School (not sure how that was measured)

that is pretty good publicity for UT, i still dunno how they beat out Cornell, John Hopkins, UCLA, and Penn...the weirdest thing is not only is Notre Dame and all not mentioned in teh top 50, i dont see any religious schools whatsoever in the top 50 (that i know are religious i could be completely wrong here guys so dont rip me if i am, just going on what i know of the schools and the schools in England are a bit foggy)...im thinkin the religious schools have less international appeal? esp. to those not of that religion...thats a stretch but i dunno y else they wouldnt have atleast a school like Notre Dame in that list...

sahen
11-08-2004, 06:41 PM
whoops sry i didnt realize the link had already been found...oh well the article (2nd link) might be of some interest

lepfan
11-08-2004, 06:56 PM
Accorting to the Times Newspaper in the UK. Harvard was rated No. 1. They used academic grading standards and must have been objective and unbiased because they had Oxford University at No. 5. No other Texas school made the top 25 which includes Rice, Texas A&M, Texas Tech or even Texas A&M at Kingsville :mad: . Also the top 25 list didn't include Notre Dame, The University of Paris in France, Berlin State University in Germany or even the University of Oklahoma!!
:confused:

I would still choose OU over UT.:D

cdlvj
11-09-2004, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by NSUTrumpet08
Wow...that is very interesting to see...yay for UT i guess...Harvard with that $23 billion endowment...they're way too rich...lol...too bad i don't see NSU on there...haha...

and their $50,000+ annual tution.

Chief Woodman
11-09-2004, 10:00 AM
Congrats to UT for the job well done. Glad to see a home state university getting some notice.

With that said who is the top 20 is strictly depending upon critera used and how subjective that is. A&M for example would be in the top 5 if the critera was how many graduates had died serving our county in time of war or how well trained the officers are that graduate from there.

General George S Patton said "Give me a Battalion of West Pointers and I'll win the battle. Give me a handfull of Texas Aggies and I'll win the whole Da_ _ war!"
He certainly was not talking about UT when he said that.

cdlvj
11-09-2004, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by sahen
http://images.thetimes.co.uk/TGD/picture/0,,157854,00.jpg

after researching the site a bit i found this too, the criteria:

"Universities were placed in the table with the help of findings from a survey for the THES of 1,300 academics in 88 countries. They were asked to name the best institutions in the fields that they felt knowledgeable about.

The table also included data on the amount of cited research produced by faculty members as an indicator of intellectual vitality, the ratio of faculty to student numbers and a university's success in attracting foreign students and internationally renowned academics in the global market for education. The five factors were weighted and transformed against a scale that gave the top university 1,000 points and ranked everyone else as a proportion of that score."

so basically i get this as the criteria:
1) Opinion poll of people in the know (THES is people right? it says THES = The Times Higher Academic Survey)
2) Research
3) Faculty to Student Ratio
4) Success in attracting International Students
5) International Opinion of the School (not sure how that was measured)

that is pretty good publicity for UT, i still dunno how they beat out Cornell, John Hopkins, UCLA, and Penn...the weirdest thing is not only is Notre Dame and all not mentioned in teh top 50, i dont see any religious schools whatsoever in the top 50 (that i know are religious i could be completely wrong here guys so dont rip me if i am, just going on what i know of the schools and the schools in England are a bit foggy)...im thinkin the religious schools have less international appeal? esp. to those not of that religion...thats a stretch but i dunno y else they wouldnt have atleast a school like Notre Dame in that list...

I concur, as like Penn is rated 4th in US News. For the past few years Cal-Berkley was in the top 5 or so, and the last rating shows them at 21. These ratings used to be pretty accurate 5 or 6 years ago, but now they are so politicized.

US News rankings
Harvard
Princton
Yale
Penn
Duke
MIT
Stanford
Cal Institute
Columbia
Darthmouth
Northwestern
Wash U
Brown
Cornell
John Hopkins
Chicago
Rice
Nortre Dame
Vanderbilt
Emory
Cal Berkley

Phil C
11-09-2004, 10:15 AM
Somebody left some grapes for me this morning. Very thoughtful! But they were sour!!!! :mad: