PDA

View Full Version : Houston Texans

sinton66
08-05-2002, 09:47 PM
Seem to be holding their own, other than two stretchers so far, they're doing ok. Oh crud, there went another bomb!

[This message has been edited by sinton66 (edited August 05, 2002).]

Bulldog92
08-06-2002, 12:59 AM
I'm a lifelong Cowboys fan, but being out of the state, I have no idea what other Dallas fans feel about the Texans. I really like David Carr and he could be better that either Carter or Hutchinson (or both) in a very short period of time. I got to see 7 or 8 of his games at Fresno St. and he's definitely gonna be worth every penny they pay him. He's got an accurate cannon (unlike QC, but he's getting better) and can make good decisions with the ball. With the talent Houston has, they will get better as the season goes on after struggling early...and should finish 4-12 or 5-11. There are people that think they could push .500, but they don't have the depth to do that well just yet.
Dallas should get 8 to 10 wins and be right in the wild card race at the end. All indications are that Carter is ready to be at least competent at running Coslet's offense and as long as injuries aren't a big problem, the Cowboys will be one of the most improved teams in the league. Any thoughts?

sinton66
08-06-2002, 01:13 AM
Yea, I've always been a fan of the 'boys myself. They are getting better, they're just really young! The wholesale changeout will affect them for a while, but with the speed and talent they have, they will contend in a couple of years. But, living so close to Houston, guess I'm gonna have to support them too. My boss even has 4 PSL's that I might get a chance to use once in awhile. I'm really happy to have two teams again. The best thing to ever happen to Houston was that Bud Adams LEFT! I'm also a HUGE UT fan (sssssh! can't say that too loud around here) which is also kinda strange since I'm about 45 minutes from Aggieland. One thing that I LIKE about the Houston organization is that they have 15 Texas players on the roster! Dallas only has two.
I've always wished they'd do better in that department. But. that said, I'll die a Cowboy fan!

[This message has been edited by sinton66 (edited August 06, 2002).]

SintonFan
08-06-2002, 01:17 AM
I gotta agree with your analysis Bulldog92. In addition, I think that Carter might struggle and the cowboys might throw in Hutchinson by week 6. They (the cowboys) seem to be taking alot of casualties at OL and secondary. This could affect the first few games or so. With the signees and new blood, they should still be very much improved.

sinton66
08-06-2002, 01:21 AM
SintonFan, I re'd ya!

SintonFan
08-06-2002, 01:27 AM
hehe, one step ahead. already re'd you back.
LOL...
now i'm gonna go night-night...

Bulldog92
08-06-2002, 01:58 AM
I agree that the 'Boys are a very young team, but I think youth is overrated as a weakness at times. A good example is the '92 Cowboys, who were the youngest, hungriest team in the league. I think this defense will compare favorably with the '92-93 teams and could be dominant by mid-season. Hopefully, the offensive line can hold up well enough to give QC time to make the right decisions with the ball and create the deep passing game that has been missing. If that happens, Emmitt will have a big year, the defense won't be on the field all day, and the Cowboys can compete with the Eagles for NFC East supremacy. That's a lot to ask, but that's why they play the games....

sinton66
08-06-2002, 06:54 AM
I hope you're right, I would love to see them breakout on top again.

BH_146
08-06-2002, 01:44 PM
I have always been a Cowboys fan but I have 2 season tickets for the Texans. It should be quite an atmoshpere at Reliant which will make the games interesting. I personally don't see more than 1 or 2 wins for the Texans unless their defense comes along real fast. As far as the Cowboys, I hope you guys are right. But I am not a QC fan. I just believe his skills should be more advanced by now.

Bulldog92
08-06-2002, 03:16 PM
If you think about it, Carter should have been coming out this year...and I figure most teams would have picked him in the third to fifth round this year. He's not a top flight QB by any stretch, nor should he be considered one anytime soon. I think they signed Hutchinson in hopes that he will develop quickly enough to take over by next year or the year after. Personally, I doubt that either of these guys is the answer, but if Brady can do it, maybe one of these guys can, too.

sinton66
08-06-2002, 06:18 PM
You should know about Quincy by the end of this year. If they spend draft choices or trade deals for a qb, it'll be a sure sign of their disappointment in him. Doubt he'll get another year after this one to "mature". On a slightly different note, BH_146, did you see any Vincent Young games or highlights? From what I saw, this kid appears to have the tools to be the greatest qb ever from this state.

BH_146
08-06-2002, 07:13 PM
I only saw video clips on Vincent Young. But from what I saw and read, you could be right. Someone compared him to Michael Vick which might be a good early comparison. But Young has the height that Vick is lacking. Speaking of Cowboys, quarterbacks and Michaels, I wonder why the Cowboys never made an offer to Michael Bishop? He was local, had a strong arm and could run from the pressure due to poor blocking.

sinton66
08-06-2002, 07:38 PM
That's a good question, and I honestly don't have a clue. I would think he could have made second or third slot easy. I guess he just didn't fit what they were looking for. BTW 'boys fans, I miscounted, left off the guy from Baylor, so there are three instead of two Texas players on the Dallas roster, my bad! Back to VY for a moment, I know it's impossible for this season, but I can't wait for Simms to graduate and Vincent get his shot at UT. I got a feeling this kid's gonna light them up!