PDA

View Full Version : Game of the Year

BigChamp05
03-02-2003, 11:28 PM
What do you think was the game of the year? I think either the Bellevile-Marlin 3OT game, or the Greenwood-Bandera 2OT for the championship.

VWG
03-02-2003, 11:38 PM
Hard to beat the 2OT game between the Rangers and Bandera. For a state championship... all the marbles.

PPHSfan
03-02-2003, 11:58 PM
In 3A

Greenwood-Bandera

Forney-Everman

Celina's 1 Point loss (missed extra point) playoff game that ended the 68 game win streak has to rank pretty high too.

In all of Texas Highschool Football

Judson-Midland

Jacket2000
03-03-2003, 12:31 AM
I agree, the Celina/Daingerfield game was definately the best of '02. Forney/Everman is up there two.
J2K

TarponFanInNorthTexas
03-03-2003, 02:30 AM
I agree with most of what PPHS said.

Best game EVER in Texas - Midland vs. Judson

Best games in 3A in 2002 - Bandera vs. Greenwood, Forney vs. Everman II, Marlin vs. Bellville.

If there's an honorable mention, it would have to be Port Isabel vs. Aransas Pass (20-19, after scoring the go-ahead touchdown, Port Isabel stops Aransas Pass's last drive on downs to win the game)

BULLDOGFAN
03-03-2003, 07:31 AM
I would have to say by far it was the Bandera vs. Midland Greenwood game. Every down, every play was a heartbreaker and the game was finaly lost on a gutsy play not a stupid play like the Judson vs. Midland game.

There is no reason Judson shoul dhave won that game other then a bonehead call on Midland's part.

And beside's to have a State Championship end with a Conspiracy call worthy of a full Warren Commission investegation is unheard of.

<small>[ March 03, 2003, 06:43 AM: Message edited by: BULLDOGFAN ]</small>

topdawg
03-03-2003, 09:02 PM
the best games i SAW were burnet - marlin and judsonn - midland.

mwynn05
03-03-2003, 09:05 PM
one of the best i seen was bellville fairfield it was a really good game especiazlly in the last 5 or 6minutes final was bellville 10 fairfield 7

rhs_olb33_06
03-03-2003, 10:44 PM
mwynn05:
one of the best i seen was bellville fairfield it was a really good game especiazlly in the last 5 or 6minutes final was bellville 10 fairfield 7Yeah i agree that was an awesome game, i still think that was fairfield's game.

cunbed10
03-04-2003, 01:52 PM
Marlin vs. Cameron was one of the most vicious hits and draining gut wrenching game of the 2002 season it went to overtime and the Yoeman scored and instead of going for the tie 17 17 the Yoeman elected to go for two for the win, becasuse it really didn't matter win on loose they were going to face Gatesville. The two point conversion play was a wide out screen and the receiver caught the ball started to advanced the ball to the goal line and Marlin's super soph Tank Smith remember the name came up and made a Lawrence Taylor type hit that was inches away from the goal line leaving both players on the field eventually both player got up.

mwynn05
03-04-2003, 05:37 PM
thats true but.. didnt happen bellville got tha job done

<small>[ March 04, 2003, 04:39 PM: Message edited by: mwynn05 ]</small>

BigChamp05
03-04-2003, 06:22 PM
In the Bandera-Greenwood game, it was almost like overtime in the second half. It was a defensive battle the second half. And to go two overtimes in a championship game...that is a good game. Not to mention that there was a gutsy play call on fourth down in the first overtime. I don't see how anybody who watched the Bandera-Greenwood game could vote against it.

Ranger Mom
03-04-2003, 06:33 PM
BigChamp05 - I have to agree 100%!!

BigChamp05
03-04-2003, 07:02 PM
Rangermom, who was your son?

Ranger Mom
03-04-2003, 09:19 PM
I don't have one that plays on Varsity yet!! I have one who is a Junior, but he has bad knees and didn't play after his Freshman year - he also went COWBOY on me and spends all of his time roping. My 2 other boys that play are a freshman and 8th grader. So one day I hope to be even more "Fanatic" than I am now! :D

BigChamp05
03-04-2003, 09:29 PM
Rangermom, i don't think you can get more fanatic than you are already.

BULLDOGFAN
03-04-2003, 10:25 PM
RangerMom is cool people Champ, AudasMom was as name implies. The Greenwood people were much like us in the supporting the team

BigChamp05
03-04-2003, 10:28 PM
Oh yeah, our fans were the best. They were the rowdiest. The signs, the horns, the masks. They followed us from the beginning, through hard times huh bulldogfan, to the championship times. They were behind us and cheering us on. They were rowdy.

vet93
03-05-2003, 11:02 AM
Not many people will mention this game but it was a dandy. The Ballinger/Kennedale game which was won in overtime by ballinger. It was a well played game and what may have given it some added drama was the fact that Ballinger was such a sound underdog in that game and yet still pulled off the upset. Also, the kid who kicked the game winning 42 yard field goal in overtime had missed a field goal two weeks before against Wylie that played a factor in a tough loss. We were all so happy that he was able to redeem himself because he was a good kid and he probably took missing the Wylie field goal pretty hard.

Ranger Mom
03-05-2003, 12:34 PM
BigChamp05:
Rangermom, i don't think you can get more fanatic than you are already.You ain't seen nothin' yet!!!! :D :D :D

Bandera YaYa
03-05-2003, 04:08 PM
I agree with you BULLDOGFAN...RangerMom is the coolest!!! Cheering for your team will keep you forever young!!

Ya Ya!!!!

BigChamp05
03-05-2003, 06:19 PM
Vet93, Bandera was the underdogs every playoff game, including the championship to an undefeated team. And there is alot more pressure on a field goal to win a championship than just to win a playoff game.

vet93
03-05-2003, 07:37 PM
BC05...I was a kicker in high school so I understand the pressure of being a kicker. In either instance...if you miss the kick you either go home or start another round of OT depending on the situation. In other words...the fate of your team is on your shoulders in both situations. This kid had only started kicking about midseason and had not kicked a field goal anywhere near this length all year (except earlier in the same game). On top of that, he had missed a field goal and an extra point in the Wylie game (we lost by one point). As to the underdog status in the championship game...I did not consider Bandera an underdog at all. Most people who know football would consider the game a toss-up. Listen, I didn't think that the Ballinger/Kennedale game was the end all and be all game of the year. I just thought it was a great game with alot of drama that deserved mentioning. I was not trying to take any of the luster away from the championship game.

BigChamp05:
Vet93, Bandera was the underdogs every playoff game, including the championship to an undefeated team. And there is alot more pressure on a field goal to win a championship than just to win a playoff game.