PDA

View Full Version : La Feria vs Zapata, DI 1st Round

Hawk Fan Izzy
11-06-2004, 01:33 PM
Who do you guys think wins this one? I'm bias, I'm from Zapata, but the LF defense is good. However, if the Hawks play like they did last night, La Feria doesn't have a great chance. They were subbing Orlando M. and Hugo S. back and forward, and both quarterbacks are able and willing to throw big, score big, and are great at their position.

CS_WILDCATS
11-07-2004, 01:17 AM
I'm taking Zapata in this one. They have one of the best teams they've fielded in years. Go Hawks!

Kool Tarpon 21
11-07-2004, 01:26 AM
I say La Feria will take this one. To my understanding, Zapata has a good football team, but La Feria has an awesome defense...should be a good game. I hope La Feria takes it. GO LIONS!!! Peace up, A-Town down.

CS_WILDCATS
11-11-2004, 11:50 PM
I gotta pull for La Feria the defensive coaches (they're brothers) are from Carrizo. In fact one coached the Wildcats for several years and the other was the head coach in Asherton which consolidated with Carrizo about two years ago.

Stangster
11-11-2004, 11:52 PM
Definitely Zapata

big daddy russ
11-12-2004, 12:51 AM
Zapata HUGE.

CS_WILDCATS
11-12-2004, 01:10 AM
If Zapata pulls out a win in round 1. Sinton vs Zapata should be a good game.

GOFOR2
11-12-2004, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by CS_WILDCATS
I gotta pull for La Feria the defensive coaches (they're brothers) are from Carrizo. In fact one coached the Wildcats for several years and the other was the head coach in Asherton which consolidated with Carrizo about two years ago.

With that said, I see Zapata scoring 55.

IHStangFan
11-12-2004, 09:13 AM
Zapata by at LEAST 21+ points.

COACHCOACH
11-12-2004, 11:29 AM
If Zapata pulls out a win in round 1. Sinton vs Zapata should be a good game.

Yes Zapata will win and yes SINTON will win. But a good game? Actually.......I think the pregame warmups will be exciting......but the game.....
SINTON 48 Zapata 12

IHStangFan
11-12-2004, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by COACHCOACH
Yes Zapata will win and yes SINTON will win. But a good game? Actually.......I think the pregame warmups will be exciting......but the game.....
SINTON 48 Zapata 12 i think youre under-estimating Zapata...i think it'll be more like Sinton 35 Zapata 31

GOFOR2
11-12-2004, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
i think youre under-estimating Zapata...i think i'll be more like Sinton 35 Zapata 31

Hey arent we getting ahead of ourselves? You never know what can happen on Friday nights. That is why the games are played.

IHStangFan
11-12-2004, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by GOFOR2
Hey arent we getting ahead of ourselves? You never know what can happen on Friday nights. That is why the games are played. yeah, i guess i shoulda been a little more clear...HYPOTHETICALLY...if Sinton and Zapata were to play...i think Zapata keeps it a bit closer than some think. you are absolutely right though....ya might THINK you know youre gonna win big....but you may go home and issue basketball equipment come monday. look at Wharton and Yoakum last night.....i'd be willing to bet NOBODY from Wharton thought they'd be starting bball season this early.

RiverRat19
11-12-2004, 01:06 PM
Zapata v. Oso..... Zapata 24-21, winning on last second field goal after being down 21-7 at the half.

Sinton v. Oso..... Sinton 43-13, up 15-0 at half and scoring 21 in the 3rd quarter.
------------------------------------------
Zapata v. Ingleside... Zapata 51-22, 22-2 after 1st quarter too large of a deficit to overcome by the Mustangs.

Sinton v. Ingleside... Sinton 45-20, tight 1st half but Sinton scores 28 unanswered 2nd half points.
-------------------------------------------
Zapata v. Orange Grove.... Zapata 34-13... Zapata clinches outright district title and playoff spot.

Sinton v. Orange Grove... 29-0, Outgained OG 20-3 in 1st downs and 338 to 91 total yards.

I know comparing similar opponents can be misleading but I think that there is a trend here.... They have beaten similar opponents and not exactly the same ways. Gotta give the edge to the state ranked team and the winner of the last matchup.....

IHStangFan
11-12-2004, 01:13 PM
the Oso/Zapata score shocked me a little, but i think Oso is firing on all cylinders now where as before they were not. their offense is clicking now. i think Zapata matches up well against Sinton. I'd REALLY like to see this one go down provided they DO end up and get to play one another. i too would have to give the edge to Sinton, but i would not say for certain that Sinton would take it. i think in a game such as this one, whichever team came out and established the momentum first and keep s it in their favor...wins this game. Sinton is a big, physical, fast team.....Zapata is also a big, physical fast team...i have my fingers crossed...this one would be GREAT!! hope we get to see it.

big daddy russ
11-12-2004, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by RiverRat19
Zapata v. Oso..... Zapata 24-21, winning on last second field goal after being down 21-7 at the half.

Sinton v. Oso..... Sinton 43-13, up 15-0 at half and scoring 21 in the 3rd quarter.
------------------------------------------
Zapata v. Ingleside... Zapata 51-22, 22-2 after 1st quarter too large of a deficit to overcome by the Mustangs.

Sinton v. Ingleside... Sinton 45-20, tight 1st half but Sinton scores 28 unanswered 2nd half points.
Zapata v. Orange Grove.... Zapata 34-13... Zapata clinches outright district title and playoff spot.

Sinton v. Orange Grove... 29-0, Outgained OG 20-3 in 1st downs and 338 to 91 total yards.

I know comparing similar opponents can be misleading but I think that there is a trend here.... They have beaten similar opponents and not exactly the same ways. Gotta give the edge to the state ranked team and the winner of the last matchup.....
Zapata v. Ingleside (Week 1)... 51-22

West Oso v. Ingleside (Week 4)... 38-22

West Oso vs. Zapata (Week 9)... 24-21

OK, so Zapata romped Ingleside, who romped West Oso three weeks later (I heard it wasn't much of a game... much more one-sided than a 16-point win would indicate).... therefore Zapata should've romped West Oso.

This kind of reasoning never pans out because so many people look at the rankings or tradition or how good a team is rather than looking at the matchup. How do Zapata's front seven look against Sinton's line? How will Sinton's DB's fare against Zapata's duo of signal callers? Have any of these teams got significantly better over the course of the year? There's a game within the game that you have to see to get a better picture of the game. You can't just say that Kennedale's one of the top five teams in the state, so Royse City's going to get dominated. Or that Wharton has Yoakum's number because they almost hung top-ranked Cuero with a big fat L. Or that Muleshoe can't beat Perryton because the Rangers were the district champs and were the top-ranked team in the state earlier this year.

On that note, if this game ever did happen I'd take Sinton by a FG.

COACHCOACH
11-12-2004, 01:35 PM
the Oso/Zapata score shocked me a little, but i think Oso is firing on all cylinders now where as before they were not. their offense is clicking now. i think Zapata matches up well against Sinton. I'd REALLY like to see this one go down provided they DO end up and get to play one another. i too would have to give the edge to Sinton, but i would not say for certain that Sinton would take it. i think in a game such as this one, whichever team came out and established the momentum first and keep s it in their favor...wins this game. Sinton is a big, physical, fast team.....Zapata is also a big, physical fast team...i have my fingers crossed...this one would be GREAT!! hope we get to see it.

"Zapata is also a big, physical, fast team"............ Now we can't just go giving these labels to any team. They may be an above average football team but thats in the Valley buddy. When you say fast do you mean 4.4 speed? When you say big do you mean 6'4 260? I don't think so. The valley is known for sub-par football and Zapata surely has sub-par athletes. Zapata is just another regular team from the Valley that hasn't played anybody. Don't take this personal it's just the truth. Sinton Football is on another level. SINTON PLAYS CUERO, ZAPATA PLAYS SAN DIEGO.....COME ON!! Sinton's two losses are to the #1 team in both 3A and 4A. There will be no let down from Sinton and thats for sure. The program thrives on dismantling the "regular" teams they play on the road to where they wanna be. Sinton 48 Zapata 12

big daddy russ
11-12-2004, 01:40 PM
I'd consider Zapata more of a "Brush Country" team. Wouldn't you, IHS?

COACHCOACH
11-12-2004, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
I'd consider Zapata more of a "Brush Country" team. Wouldn't you, IHS?

Na.....it's more who and how they play that have them labeled a Valley team.....ya know what I mean.

Kool Tarpon 21
11-12-2004, 01:49 PM
What do you mean by a "Valley team"? Anyways, if Zapata thinks that they're going to walk all over La Feria, they better think twice. Like I said before, La Feria's defense is pretty good. Peace up, A-Town down.

IHStangFan
11-12-2004, 01:50 PM
I'd consider Zapata more of a "Brush Country" team. Wouldn't you, IHS? yeah, i'd say so Russ. but thats alright..... its okay Sinton fans..i know this guy isnt a direct reflection on ALL of yall.

COACHCOACH...ive seen both Sinton and Zapata play Ingleside....and again...Zapata is a big team, they are a VERY fast team, and they are physical. it wouldnt shock me at ALL if these two teams were to meet up..and Zapata sends Sinton home to play basketball. i'm not saying its a given...i'm saying its very POSSIBLE...thats all.

IHStangFan
11-12-2004, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by Kool Tarpon 21
What do you mean by a "Valley team"? Anyways, if Zapata thinks that they're going to walk all over La Feria, they better think twice. Like I said before, La Feria's defense is pretty good. Peace up, A-Town down. KT21....ive heard that too....so La Feria's D is pretty stout huh?

footballgal
11-12-2004, 01:57 PM

La Feria Defense is good, very good. Coach Eli Esquivel is doing a great job. (He was our Coach when I was in HS). If La Feria can get rolling on offense, I pick La Feria with the upset.

Really, I didn't know about Asherton consolidating with Carrizo, interesting, so is like Asherton's school shut down?

Go Lions Go!!

http://www.valleystar.com/images/uploads/LaFeriaLyford.jpg

Pictured Lions defense on the prowl!

COACHCOACH
11-12-2004, 02:11 PM
yeah, i'd say so Russ. but thats alright..... its okay Sinton fans..i know this guy isnt a direct reflection on ALL of yall.

COACHCOACH...ive seen both Sinton and Zapata play Ingleside....and again...Zapata is a big team, they are a VERY fast team, and they are physical. it wouldnt shock me at ALL if these two teams were to meet up..and Zapata sends Sinton home to play basketball. i'm not saying its a given...i'm saying its very POSSIBLE...thats all.

You people try to hard to be politcally correct. I haven't seen Zapata play but I've seen real football played over and over again. So I know that they are not really big and they are not fast. Fast to you and fast to me are probably two different things IHS fan. Plus you've been watching average Ingleside football........I mean come on man I'm sure they play hard but quit saying they're big and fast. Southlake Carroll is big and fast.....not Zapata.

COACHCOACH
11-12-2004, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by Kool Tarpon 21
What do you mean by a "Valley team"? Anyways, if Zapata thinks that they're going to walk all over La Feria, they better think twice. Like I said before, La Feria's defense is pretty good. Peace up, A-Town down.

You know what I mean by a Valley Team. And yeah La Feria might beat Zapata, I"m sure it's very possible. Whoever wins..........same result next round....plain and simple guaranteed!

big daddy russ
11-12-2004, 02:15 PM
...I haven't seen Zapata play... So I know that they are not really big and they are not fast...
Way to sound intelligent.

IHStangFan
11-12-2004, 02:17 PM
You people try to hard to be politcally correct. I haven't seen Zapata play but I've seen real football played over and over again. So I know that they are not really big and they are not fast. Fast to you and fast to me are probably two different things IHS fan. Plus you've been watching average Ingleside football........I mean come on man I'm sure they play hard but quit saying they're big and fast. Southlake Carroll is big and fast.....not Zapata. youre comparing apples to oranges, we're talkin 3A Region IV ball....Sinton -vs- Zapata.....Zapata, when compared to Sinton...is fast...they are BOTH fast teams. and ive seen football my friend....i used to watch the Univ. Tennesse Vols play at Neland Stadium when Peyton Manning was QB and Jamal Lewis was the RB....and if that isnt great, fast football....i dont know what is.

COACHCOACH
11-12-2004, 02:20 PM
Good to know that we can count on you for accurate observations of the team, COACH.

THEY'RE ZAPATA!!!!!!! WHEN HAVE YOU EVER HEARD OF LEGITEMATE 6'4 240 LB ATHLETES WHO RUN A 4.4 COME OUT OF THAT SCHOOL. IN FACT NAME TWO COLLEGE ATHELTES YOU KNOW FROM THERE. QUIT BEING SO NICE.......YOU AND I BOTH KNOW THE KIND OF PLAYERS THEY ALLLLWWWAAAAYSSSS HAVE!

IHStangFan
11-12-2004, 02:22 PM
You know what I mean by a Valley Team. And yeah La Feria might beat Zapata, I"m sure it's very possible. Whoever wins..........same result next round....plain and simple guaranteed! i'm just curious......would you consider the Everman team of 2001 a fast team?

COACHCOACH
Way to sound intelligent.

THEY'RE ZAPATA!!!!!!! WHEN HAVE YOU EVER HEARD OF LEGITEMATE 6'4 240 LB ATHLETES WHO RUN A 4.4 COME OUT OF THAT SCHOOL. IN FACT NAME TWO COLLEGE ATHELTES YOU KNOW FROM THERE. QUIT BEING SO NICE.......YOU AND I BOTH KNOW THE KIND OF PLAYERS THEY ALLLLWWWAAAAYSSSS HAVE!

big daddy russ
I can't... but would you consider Falfurrias a Valley school? They play Valley teams all the time, and I'm sure I could name at least a couple of Jersey alums that have gone on to play D1 ball.

COACHCOACH
11-12-2004, 02:25 PM
i'm just curious......would you consider the Everman team of 2001 a fast team?

Yes, they were a very fast team. So was Sinton that year. See thats the point I wanted to make. That type of speed, Everman speed, is real real speed. Sinton has the capabilites and people to actually matchup in those types of games. That Everman team was very fast and they played Speedy north texas type football. Sinton was able to compete and stay in that ballgame because they too possess that type of speed.

COACHCOACH
11-12-2004, 02:25 PM
I can't... but would you consider Falfurrias a Valley school? They play Valley teams all the time, and I'm sure I could name at least a couple of Jersey alums that have gone on to play D1 ball.

NAME THEM!!

IHStangFan
11-12-2004, 02:26 PM
Yes, they were a very fast team. So was Sinton that year. See thats the point I wanted to make. That type of speed, Everman speed, is real real speed. Sinton has the capabilites and people to actually matchup in those types of games. That Everman team was very fast and they played Speedy north texas type football. Sinton was able to compete and stay in that ballgame because they too possess that type of speed. and i'm telling YOU...yes TELLING you....Zapata is just as fast as Sinton THIS year.

IHStangFan
11-12-2004, 02:27 PM
hey Russ....where we eatin dinner tonight?

District303aPastPlayer
11-12-2004, 02:29 PM
hey Russ....where we eatin dinner tonight?

im thinkin cowboy stew :D

COACHCOACH
11-12-2004, 02:29 PM
and i'm telling YOU...yes TELLING you....Zapata is just as fast as Sinton THIS year.

I'm sure they are a little fast but come on man. They are not as fast as Sinton. They just aren't. It's Zapata for g*** sake. Even if they were just as fast as Sinton, what good is a fast mule in a race with a Clydesdale.

IHStangFan
11-12-2004, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
im thinkin cowboy stew :D LOL. Aaron, are you gonna be in San Antone tonight too? i dont remember where yall are playin.

footballgal
11-12-2004, 02:32 PM
CoachCoach, I have stopped myself several times from addressing you; But, you can be very hateful, and to think that your a coach/teacher, should be really scary for the fine folks from Sinton. You're being very ignorant for making such generalizations.

Also Coach don’t speak if you don’t know, Zapata is NOT part of the Rio Grande Valley!! The RGV is from West to East, Roma to South Padre Island and most northern city is Raymondville. You would have to drive about two hours from Roma to get to Zapata, so if that's RGV, you might as well call Falfurrias, Corpus Christi part of the RGV, since they are about the same distance too. :rolleyes:

BTW, you never answered my question on the thread where you were talking about Frankie Herrera MLB.

District303aPastPlayer
11-12-2004, 02:32 PM
LOL. Aaron, are you gonna be in San Antone tonight too? i dont remember where yall are playin.

we are playin at The Gus. . . its on Loop 410 @ Bandera Rd. West side of SA

IHStangFan
11-12-2004, 02:33 PM
I'm sure they are a little fast but come on man. They are not as fast as Sinton. They just aren't. It's Zapata for g*** sake. Even if they were just as fast as Sinton, what good is a fast mule in a race with a Clydesdale. LMAO....um....WHAT?

http://home.ripway.com/2003-7/15091/Icon%20Stuff/headscratch.gif
http://home.ripway.com/2003-7/15091/Icon%20Stuff/icon19.gif
http://home.ripway.com/2003-7/15091/Icon%20Stuff/icon9.gif

District303aPastPlayer
11-12-2004, 02:33 PM
basically, Sinton/Zapata, to me, if it happens, will be an evenly matched game.

COACHCOACH
11-12-2004, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by footballgal
CoachCoach, I have stopped myself several times from addressing you; But, you can be very hateful, and to think that your a coach/teacher, should be really scary for the fine folks from Sinton. You're being very ignorant for making such generalizations.

Also Coach don’t speak if you don’t know, Zapata is NOT part of the Rio Grande Valley!! The RGV is West to East, Roma to South Padre Island and most northern city is Raymondville. You would have to drive about two hours from Roma to get to Zapata, so if that's RGV, you might as well call Falfurrias, Corpus Christi part of the RGV, since they are about the same distance too. :rolleyes:

BTW, you never answered my question on the thread where you were talking about Frankie Herrera MLB.

I'm sorry if you consider it hateful but in my profession the truth sometimes hurts. It's not being hateful just brutally honest. Like I said earlier maybe the location is not considered "The Valley", but they play Valley type football, with Valley type players. And with that said I would go ahead and consider Fal a valley type team too. I'm sorry but I'm just being brutally honest.

IHStangFan
11-12-2004, 02:36 PM
hell Aaron, yall are playing fairly close to us then?

yeah, i think the Sinton/Zapata matchup would be one of the best matchups all year....i could be TOTALLY wrong...but i feel it'd be A: a shootout or B: a very low scoring game where the Ds dominate the game. but more than likely a shootout. from what ive seen of both teams...they are BOTH outstanding programs this year.

IHStangFan
11-12-2004, 02:39 PM
COACHCOACH...

what do you mean by "valley type players" i'm confused....do you mean hispanics?? *** does that gotta do w/ anything.....the 2001 Sinton team: Adrian ALANIZ..hispanic, Julian RUIZ..hispanic, shall i go on? so again..i must ask you....what point are you trying to make when you say "valley type players" i KNOW you arent trying to get racial up in dis piece

http://home.ripway.com/2003-7/15091/Icon%20Stuff/smilepunch.gif

big daddy russ
11-12-2004, 02:42 PM
I know OT Joey Crosson was being looked at by Sam Houston State and Liberty a couple years ago, but wound up at A&M-Kingsville after the Lumberjacks topped out on recruits. DE Jesse Ramirez would've wound up at either Colorado, Arizona Iowa State, Baylor or SWT had his grades held up. He's serving his time at Cisco JC right now. Both those guys were BIG. Jesse was fast, to boot. Ran a 4.7 at the Nike Camp.

If you click on the link below, scroll down about 2/3 of the way. It was the only thing I could find on Jesse's performance at the Nike Camp, but it singles him out as one of the standout D-Linemen at a camp which was deep with top-notch recruits.

Jesse Ramirez, Nike Camp (http://texas.scout.com/2/109268.html)

big daddy russ
11-12-2004, 02:46 PM
Oh, forgot to include that Ramirez is getting ready to transfer. Right now, LSU is interested. Adrian and Marcus could've been D1 players. Well, I guess Adrian is, but it's pretty much the same situation down in Fal.

COACHCOACH
11-12-2004, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
basically, Sinton/Zapata, to me, if it happens, will be an evenly matched game.

I'll have to call you out on that one Aaron. On paper it might "seem" evenly matched but just wait and see the score!

COACHCOACH
11-12-2004, 03:12 PM
COACHCOACH...

what do you mean by "valley type players" i'm confused....do you mean hispanics?? *** does that gotta do w/ anything.....the 2001 Sinton team: Adrian ALANIZ..hispanic, Julian RUIZ..hispanic, shall i go on? so again..i must ask you....what point are you trying to make when you say "valley type players" i KNOW you arent trying to get racial up in dis piece

http://home.ripway.com/2003-7/15091/Icon%20Stuff/smilepunch.gif

I myself am a Hispanic male so no, it's definetly not anything racial. They're just different kinds of places with different types of players. Valley type players are typically undersized and usually not as fast as the players the farther north you go. Those are just the facts......sorry. I'm just being brutally honest. Also Adrian Alaniz is 6'3 225 genius of a kid with intangibles you can't teach. In his case, ethnicity was not a factor. He's not like most of the kids I know. He has the gift. Theres something special in him. They're not many kids like him so lets leave him out....he doesn't count..... Julian Ruiz, was a unusually fast back for his size and that allowed him to compliment Mr.Charles very nicely. In fact he was sickly fast (4.3) His line was also pretty darn good. No matter what you say there is a difference. You just choose to be blind to it.

COACHCOACH
11-12-2004, 03:14 PM
Oh, forgot to include that Ramirez is getting ready to transfer. Right now, LSU is interested. Adrian and Marcus could've been D1 players. Well, I guess Adrian is, but it's pretty much the same situation down in Fal.

Easy MR..........You can't compare anybody in the History of Fal with Adrian or Marcus. Plain and simple. We won't get into that discussion

COACHCOACH
11-12-2004, 03:19 PM
SINTON 48

ZAPATA 12

Brutally Honest

IHStangFan
11-12-2004, 03:48 PM
SINTON 48

ZAPATA 12

Brutally Honest LOL...okay man.

footballgal
11-14-2004, 12:32 PM
Final Zapata 20 -14 over La Feria

Zapata wins with a circus catch with minutes left in the game. The guy lays out at least 5-8 yards and scoops it with his fingertips. Makes a spectacular catch. (my son was there, he said LF had it until that catch, and ran out of time.)

http://www.team4news.com/Global/category.asp?C=5476&nav=0w0x
click on video to watch
La Feria vs Zapata
West Oso vs Lyford
Port Isabel vs Orange Grove

big daddy russ
11-14-2004, 02:24 PM
Easy MR..........You can't compare anybody in the History of Fal with Adrian or Marcus. Plain and simple. We won't get into that discussion
LOL, Okie dokie. The link's there. Read it.

Oh, and Julian didn't run a 4.3. Marcus may have, but Julian was a step behind. When you're going that fast one step is equal to 1/10th of a second. Julian probably ran a mid-4.4.

Kool Tarpon 21
11-15-2004, 11:32 AM
I told you La Feria was going to give Zapata a run for their money. I told you to watch out for that defense. What are you all saying when you say "Valley Type Players"? If you're referring to hispanics, that has nothing to do with that. Hispanics can be talented as any other person. If you're talented, then you're talented. Ethnicity has nothing to do with anything. There are plenty of Anglo-Americans and African-Americans that are not talented too. I just think that when a person is talented, they're talented. Plain and simple. Peace up, A-Town down.

Hawk Fan Izzy
11-15-2004, 12:06 PM
I'll give credit to La Feria for making it a good game, but it was painfully obvious at the end that Zapata seemed to have been playing on cruise control.

When the heat was turned on, Zapata performed and performed WELL. If they can bring the same intensity they had at the end of the La Feria game to Sinton, it will be a great game.

As to CoachCoach, I'm not an athlete, but I got some parallels. For years, Bishop had dominated 31-3A UIL Academics and One-Act. They're reasoning? "We're Bishop"

Last year, we gave them a wupping in everything.

Things can change, it starts with believing you can. This year's Zapata team believes in itself. I have 6 football players sitting next to me in class right now. They aren't scared. They want to play.

#8, Ely Chapa, says he's the best. He's going to show you a thing or two about Zapata.

Go Hawks.