PDA

View Full Version : Port Isabel vs. orange Grove. predictions

Ibleedblue
11-06-2004, 09:11 AM
PI is hyped up about a re-match vs. OG. last year the the TARPS sailed through them with a 28-0 win in the first round. this year the tarpons areaverageing 42 points a gme and giving up an average 11.6 points a game. what do you think on this game.:rolleyes: :D :rolleyes: :D

GOFOR2
11-06-2004, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by Ibleedblue
PI is hyped up about a re-match vs. OG. last year the the TARPS sailed through them with a 28-0 win in the first round. this year the tarpons areaverageing 42 points a gme and giving up an average 11.6 points a game. what do you think on this game.:rolleyes: :D :rolleyes: :D

PI 49
OG 6

it will be 35-0 at half

SintonFan_inAustin
11-06-2004, 11:21 AM
PI 31
OG 20

footballgal
11-06-2004, 11:47 AM
Hey where is the game going to be played anyone know yet? Last year OG won and we played in neutral sit in Alice.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-06-2004, 12:12 PM
Since this will be the 2nd year in a row we play them, I'm sure the game will be in the valley.

My guess is either Sams Stadium in Brownsville, or Boggus Stadium in Harlingen. Either way, expect a big crowd for the PI side next week.

PhiI C
11-06-2004, 12:25 PM
PI should win in a close one. The main advantage is that they game should be in the valley. But beware of any team that can beat The Howling Bear!

footballgal
11-07-2004, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by PhiI C
But beware of any team that can beat The Howling Bear!

Howling Bear?!???:confused:

PI-fan
11-07-2004, 01:28 AM
OG is coming of a big win last friday and has some momentum, but PIs rushing attack might be too much for OG to contain, in the last game for the regular season...

Originally from BrownsvilleHerald:

The Tarpons, who went to their reserve running backs early in the second half, finished with 539 yards on the ground divided between seven ballcarriers.

PI by 17+ ;)

Ibleedblue
11-09-2004, 06:03 PM
he game is going to be playe at tarpon stadium friday at 7:30. it's supposed to be a coldand rainy game. i don't know who the refs will be, but i say tarps by atleast 13:devil: :eek: :p :clap:

rhs78
11-09-2004, 07:49 PM
tarpons by three touchdowns,should be able to rest some starters in 2nd half, i have a question for PI fans, Where is the missle player from last years team, is he playing in college? he was a very good tough running back. good luck tarpons

sinton66
11-09-2004, 08:19 PM
Tarpons by 25-30.

SintonFan
11-09-2004, 09:23 PM
Tarpons by 15+...
Orange Grove is a scrappy team and played a tough pre-district schedule. This should be a decent game through 2 1/2...

Kool Tarpon 21
11-10-2004, 08:13 AM
The Tarpons should take this game by at least 21 points. Orange Grove comes from the weakest district in 3A, in my opinion. I don't see Orange Grove scoring, but you never know what can happen on any playoff game. Good luck to the Tarpons. Peace up, A-Town down.

Originally posted by rhs78
tarpons by three touchdowns,should be able to rest some starters in 2nd half, i have a question for PI fans, Where is the missle player from last years team, is he playing in college? he was a very good tough running back. good luck tarpons

I'm just attending college right now. I was going to play football, but I pulled my hamstring for the 4th time. I decided to just let it heal completely. I'm trying out for the football team at UT next year. Hopefully I make it. :thumbsup: Peace up, A-Town down.

footballgal
11-10-2004, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by Kool Tarpon 21
..... I'm trying out for the football team at UT next year. Hopefully I make it. :thumbsup: Peace up, A-Town down.

I have confidence that you will Misael! :)

Phil C
11-10-2004, 09:33 AM
The Tarpons should take this game by at least 21 points. Orange Grove comes from the weakest district in 3A, in my opinion. I don't see Orange Grove scoring, but you never know what can happen on any playoff game. Good luck to the Tarpons. Peace up, A-Town down.

I'm just attending college right now. I was going to play football, but I pulled my hamstring for the 4th time. I decided to just let it heal completely. I'm trying out for the football team at UT next year. Hopefully I make it. :thumbsup: Peace up, A-Town down.

Good Luck in your healing and your try out for UT next year Kool. But remember any district that has the Howling Bear in it is not weak.

Phil C
11-10-2004, 09:34 AM
Beware of any team that can beat the Howling Bear!!!

IHStangFan
11-10-2004, 09:35 AM
i think the Grove is going to shock the Tarpons.....i'm not saying O.G. is gonna win this game....but i think the Tarpons are in for a reality check as they move north in the playoffs.

footballgal
11-10-2004, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
i think the Grove is going to shock the Tarpons.....i'm not saying O.G. is gonna win this game....but i think the Tarpons are in for a reality check as they move north in the playoffs.

You mean like last year?;)

11TARPON
11-10-2004, 09:45 AM
IHStangFan the Tarpons are focused. Probably more of a likelyhood of a Cotulla surprise this week.

Tidal Wave
11-10-2004, 09:49 AM
LOL..that is all tooooooo funny. Obviously IHS has no knowledge of Port Isabel football.Oh well I guess they will just have to learn the hard way when we play them in the 2nd round.

PI vs OG should be no contest.Sorry guys its the truth.This game should be by the 2nd quarter a score of 28-0 by halftime.Then we start playing back up players. OG Shock PI........HAHAH...i needed that laugh early in the morning THANKS.

Oh yea Cotulla SHOCKS Ingleside 21-14....:D :rolleyes:

footballgal
11-10-2004, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by Tidal Wave

Oh yea Cotulla SHOCKS Ingleside 21-14....:D :rolleyes:

:D
I think that's funny only because two years ago, when they went to the playoffs since 1952, the Cowboys had a mug, (which I have) that had the roster, numbers and all that stuff, here comes the funny part. On the front side it read: "Cotulla Cowboys, shock the World" then it reads playoffs 2002

99IHSMustang
11-10-2004, 10:04 AM
I remember the last time that Ingleside played PI was in '95 and we beat you guys by several points if not by one I think. Did you guys have a good team that year becuase I know Ingleside had a very good team that year? I hope that we can give you guys a darn good challenge if we make it to round II. I think we will I just don't want to be to overconfident. :D

IHStangFan
11-10-2004, 10:12 AM
LOL :clap:

IHStangFan
11-10-2004, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by 99IHSMustang
I remember the last time that Ingleside played PI was in '95 and we beat you guys by several points if not by one I think. Did you guys have a good team that year becuase I know Ingleside have a very good team that year? I hope that we can give you guys a darn good challenge if we make it to round II. I think we will I just don't want to be to overconfident. :D yup....the P.I. crowd was raising hell, but they got quiet real quick.

11TARPON
11-10-2004, 10:21 AM
IHStangFan, was that the year you all went to state.

IHStangFan
11-10-2004, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by 11TARPON
IHStangFan, was that the year you all went to state. yeah, it sure was. i am looking forward to seeing the P.I. team in action...ive heard alot about them this year! good luck to you guys and maybe we'll see yall in round 2. :)

footballgal
11-10-2004, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by 99IHSMustang
I remember the last time that Ingleside played PI was in '95 and we beat you guys by several points if not by one I think. Did you guys have a good team that year becuase I know Ingleside had a very good team that year? I hope that we can give you guys a darn good challenge if we make it to round II. I think we will I just don't want to be to overconfident. :D
I think you are right, ’95, that was a year after they went to the semi’s and we really didn’t’ have a great team, well we had good players but the coach didn't do them justice. That was the beginning of a “dark age” for the Tarpons when they inherited Coach Pena; Let me just say the Pena era was not a pleasant ones! And that was one of the very very few playoff games that I didn’t get to go to, because of work. But my husband and my son went, and I remember he said, you’ll had a big back; I am trying to remember the name; Bubba Smith or Bubba Heard?? So, now that you mention that if we meet in Round II, PI should have you’ll at home or home away form home, since we played you’ll at TAMUK that year, correct me if I am wrong.

99IHSMustang
11-10-2004, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
yeah, it sure was. i am looking forward to seeing the P.I. team in action...ive heard alot about them this year! good luck to you guys and maybe we'll see yall in round 2. :)

Actually, I think it might have been the sem-final game. I will have to double check on that becuase I have the highlight video from that year that has the final game that they played.

99IHSMustang
11-10-2004, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by footballgal
I think you are right, ’95, that was a year after they went to the semi’s and we really didn’t’ have a great team, well we had good players but the coach didn't do them justice. That was the beginning of a “dark age” for the Tarpons when they inherited Coach Pena; Let me just say the Pena era was not a pleasant ones! And that was one of the very very few playoff games that I didn’t get to go to, because of work. But my husband and my son went, and I remember he said, you’ll had a big back; I am trying to remember the name; Bubba Smith or Bubba Heard?? So, now that you mention that if we meet in Round II, PI should have you’ll at home or home away form home, since we played you’ll at TAMUK that year, correct me if I am wrong.

Good ol boy Bubba Jackson

cunbed10
11-10-2004, 10:33 AM
Marlin sends Congrats to PI:clap:

Phil C
11-10-2004, 10:34 AM

Bubba Heard was a Sinton Pirate!! WHOOOOOOOOO SINTON PIRATES SHOOOOEY!!!!!

:)

IHStangFan
11-10-2004, 10:36 AM
I think you are right, ’95, that was a year after they went to the semi’s and we really didn’t’ have a great team, well we had good players but the coach didn't do them justice. That was the beginning of a “dark age” for the Tarpons when they inherited Coach Pena; Let me just say the Pena era was not a pleasant ones! And that was one of the very very few playoff games that I didn’t get to go to, because of work. But my husband and my son went, and I remember he said, you’ll had a big back; I am trying to remember the name; Bubba Smith or Bubba Heard?? So, now that you mention that if we meet in Round II, PI should have you’ll at home or home away form home, since we played you’ll at TAMUK that year, correct me if I am wrong. yeah, bubba jackson, he was a bruiser. bout 5'9 or 5'10 but weighed probably 200lbs and ran a 4.6 or a high 4.5...i dont recall...i ran track w/ him. he was pretty fast for his bulky size.

11TARPON
11-10-2004, 11:11 AM
Cunbed10, thanks for the praise. I see that Marlin has a tough game against China Spring. Good luck and we pray for no injuries in your game.

Kool Tarpon 21
11-10-2004, 11:51 AM
I honestly don't think that Orange Grove will be that much of a competition, but I don't really know. What do you mean by beware of the howling bear or something like that? Anyways, the Tarpons will be more than ready for this game. I have confidence in that they will have a great game. Thanks for the praise Cunbed10. How is Marlin doing this year? How is John Sadler? I haven't heard from him in a while. If you see him tell him Missile said what's up. Peace up, A-Town down.

IHStangFan
11-10-2004, 11:53 AM
what he means about the Howling Bears: the Howling Bears would be West Oso, who came on hard late in the season.....Orange Grove beat them a few weeks back....but Orange Grove's problem is they are IFFY....if they bring their A game....they are pretty tough...but thats just it...IF they bring the A game....its like watching two totally different teams...sometimes they come to play...sometimes they dont. that will be their downfall.

pirate4state
11-10-2004, 11:53 AM
Tarpons a tough test for Bulldogs
Orange Grove faces Port Isabel in playoff battle

By Javier Becerra Caller-Times
November 10, 2004

Orange Grove coach Brent Kornegay knows plenty about Port Isabel, the Bulldogs' opponent in Friday's first round of the state playoffs.

The Tarpons have been to the postseason five straight years and last year went further than any other previous team with an appearance in the Class 3A Division II state semifinals.

Orange Grove, meanwhile, is making a school record third consecutive trip to the playoffs. The Bulldogs are also coming off a huge win over West Oso in the district finale that could provide the thrust to upend No. 9 Port Isabel (9-1).

"I think we're at a point where we're starting to jell," Kornegay said. "The kids played a great game against West Oso. Our playoffs started last Friday, and we're excited about the opportunity we have.

"We feel like we're going to go down there and beat Port Isabel."

Orange Grove has had to deal with injuries for most of the season, including quarterback Roel Alaniz and Scott Stafford. Each missed a game during the regular season, but the two have since returned to their starting roles.

Turnovers have also been a concern, including a fumble last week that prevented the Bulldogs from taking an 11-point lead and command of the game.

"We played really well, but we still had to overcome some adversity," Kornegay said. "We were getting ready to up 21-10 and then fumbled on fourth down and there guy runs 70 yards for touchdown. That's a momentum changer, but the kids were fighters all the way till the end."

Good Luck Orange Grove Is it wrong that I'm cheering for the TARPONS?! :thinking: Nah, I can do whatever I want! :D GO TARPONS!! :cheerl:

Kool Tarpon 21
11-10-2004, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
"We feel like we're going to go down there and beat Port Isabel."

LoL. I can't believe the coach had the audacity to say that. I guess he's just being confident for his team. That's a good coach. He's optimistic. Oh yeah, they said that Port Isabel is No. 9, but they're No. 8 :D Peace up, A-Town down.

IHStangFan
11-10-2004, 12:20 PM
LoL. I can't believe the coach had the audacity to say that. I guess he's just being confident for his team. That's a good coach. He's optimistic. Oh yeah, they said that Port Isabel is No. 9, but they're No. 8 :D Peace up, A-Town down. dont let the rankings go to your head guys....

Kool Tarpon 21
11-10-2004, 12:25 PM
Don't worry about it. Stumps has the boys on lock. He knows that if they start worrying about rankings, then they start messing up. I know for a fact that the Tarpons don't care about rankings. As a fan I may add, it feels good to finally get some recognition. Good luck Tarpons. Peace up, A-Town down.

IHStangFan
11-10-2004, 12:26 PM
Don't worry about it. Stumps has the boys on lock. He knows that if they start worrying about rankings, then they start messing up. I know for a fact that the Tarpons don't care about rankings. As a fan I may add, it feels good to finally get some recognition. Good luck Tarpons. Peace up, A-Town down. :clap: agreed. congrats by the way.

AP Panther Fan
11-10-2004, 12:28 PM
As much as I like the good folks in Orange Grove, I don't even see the game being close.

PI 42 - OG 14

Kool Tarpon 21
11-10-2004, 12:31 PM
Yeah. The funny thing is that a couple of PI students and a couple of OG students are going together on the same car to watch the game. LoL. It's kool though. You know how it is. We have to travel a long way. Well, Good Luck to all the teams in playoffs. Peace up, A-Town down.

rhs78
11-10-2004, 01:55 PM
good luck cool tarpon 21 i sure hope the hammie heals, and you make the team next year. good luck to your tarpons friday at home!!!!

congo
11-10-2004, 02:35 PM

Coach Tony was still coaching that year.......He quit after that game.......That game was a close one but Bubba Jackson was too much... It should of been PI's game but a couple of miscues cost them....If I remember correctly wasn't the score something like 25-11 or 15-11 something in that range?????

IHStangFan
11-10-2004, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by congo
Coach Tony was still coaching that year.......He quit after that game.......That game was a close one but Bubba Jackson was too much... It should of been PI's game but a couple of miscues cost them....If I remember correctly wasn't the score something like 25-11 or 15-11 something in that range????? i dont remember the exact score. Jackson was a good back though. i think he went and played a year or two at San Angelo State after HS.

footballgal
11-10-2004, 02:43 PM
Oh yeah, thats right, so that means I have missed two playoff games, the other one I remember now, was the one in San Antonio, where they lost to Sealy in ’96.

Kool Tarpon 21
11-10-2004, 04:33 PM
You've been a Tarpon fan that long? That is crazy. I'm probably going to become one of those fans that doesn't miss a playoff game either. What can I say? I bleed blue. I reallly would if it wasn't for the oxygen. LoL. Good luck Tarpons. Peace up, A-Town down.

Phil C
11-10-2004, 04:36 PM
Hey Kool Do you go to Texas Lutheran University in Seguin?

Kool Tarpon 21
11-10-2004, 04:54 PM
Yes, I do. I don't like this school by the way. There is nothing to do. I'm more of a people person and this school is small. I like the classes though. The professors really pay attention to you, but I my passion is football and my plan since I graduated high school was to try out for UT Football Team. I hope God helps me there. Peace up, A-Town down.

IHStangFan
11-10-2004, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
Hey Kool Do you go to Texas Lutheran University in Seguin? Former IHS running back David Lyons played for them, they were decent.

Phil C
11-10-2004, 05:11 PM
Yes, I do. I don't like this school by the way. There is nothing to do. I'm more of a people person and this school is small. I like the classes though. The professors really pay attention to you, but I my passion is football and my plan since I graduated high school was to try out for UT Football Team. I hope God helps me there. Peace up, A-Town down.

We wish you success Kool! If you at TLU in the spring though maybe you could consider going to watch the Lady Bulldog softball team when they play in Seguin. They have an outstanding pitcher there named Amanda Stevens who is a senior this year and she is from Sinton where she was a great hs pitcher for the Lady Pirates. Just a thought if you could work in a game there.

honeymd
11-10-2004, 08:48 PM
GO TARPONS!!!:thumbsup: :kiss:

footballgal
11-10-2004, 11:49 PM
You've been a Tarpon fan that long? That is crazy. I'm probably going to become one of those fans that doesn't miss a playoff game either. What can I say? I bleed blue. I reallly would if it wasn't for the oxygen. LoL. Good luck Tarpons. Peace up, A-Town down.

LOL :D

I am a newbie, compared to the other Tarpon Fans. I went to my first Tarpon game in 1986, when my son was only like 5/6 months old, & I had just moved to the valley. Anyhow, since then I got hooked, but really going regularly & following them to the playoff games, was like 1990* I always tell my hubby "you created a monster", a Tarpon football fan monster, that is.
*my hubby corrected me, years go by so fast, it's hard to keep track. '90 was also the yr we moved to LF.

http://www.rgvsports.com/ubb/graemlins/dazzler1.gif
GO BIG BLUE! LET'S GET'S GET A BULLDOG ! :clap: :clap: http://www.rgvsports.com/ubb/graemlins/dance2.gif

honeymd
11-11-2004, 09:55 AM
I've been watching them since the 70's when the tradition was started!:eek:

I hope I'm still around when they win State because I know it's gonna happen!!!

GO MIGHTY FIGHTING TARPONS!!!! :cheerl: :cheerl: :cheerl: :thumbsup:

Kool Tarpon 21
11-11-2004, 01:19 PM
It will happen. There's is no doubt in my mind that the Tarpons will get the state title one of these years. Wow, you've been a fan since the 70's, that's impressive. Well, I just hope that all the Tarpon fans are always there for the playoffs. GO TARPONS!!! Peace up, A-Town down.

congo
11-12-2004, 09:47 AM
Oh yeah, thats right, so that means I have missed two playoff games, the other one I remember now, was the one in San Antonio, where they lost to Sealy in ’96.

Yup that was one heart breaker there.........We were blown out....I remember that one.....That was my soph. year and I was forced to start due to the fact that Jim Leo Ochoa chose to go to Chicago with his girlfriend that only lasted a couple weeks after that game, than to play that game.... I also remembered that everyone hated him and it was hard for the football players not to keep their hands off of him.....We had practiced all week long and we felt we had a chance then he left that thursday and messed everything up......Our defense especially......We had guys out of positions and everything.....But that Sealy team was fast and a FRESHMAN killed us that game.......We held the main back but the other one killed us.......

Kool Tarpon 21
11-12-2004, 10:44 AM
Good luck to the Tarpons tonight. They're going to take care of business. They're going to teach their coach a lesson about saying things like that to the media. GOOD LUCK TARPONS!!! LET'S GET THOSE PUPPIES!!! Peace up, A-Town down.

Phil C
11-12-2004, 11:57 AM
Good luck to the Tarpons tonight. They're going to take care of business. They're going to teach their coach a lesson about saying things like that to the media. GOOD LUCK TARPONS!!! LET'S GET THOSE PUPPIES!!! Peace up, A-Town down.

Beware of the team that beat the Howling Bear!!

Kool Tarpon 21
11-12-2004, 01:44 PM
West Oso do not impress me if they lost to Orange Grove. After tonight, it's going to be BEWARE OF THE TEAM THAT BEAT THE TEAM THAT BEAT THE HOWLING BEAR. ;) Peace up, A-Town down.

Kool Tarpon 21
11-12-2004, 01:47 PM
Oh yeah, there's going to be another: BEWARE OF THE TEAM THAT BEAT THE HOWLING BEAR!!! LYFORD!!! :D Peace up, A-Town down.

honeymd
11-12-2004, 02:37 PM
AMEN Missle! GO BLUE!!!:hand: :cheerl: :evillaugh :evillaugh

honeymd
11-13-2004, 07:11 AM
It's the PI Tarpons over the Orange Grove Bulldogs in a repeat of last year's bi-district game(28-0).

PI put in subs at the beginning of the 4th quarter with a lead of 41-7. Final score 48-21.

honeymd
11-13-2004, 07:37 AM
Missile,

Now it's beware of the team that beat the team that beat the team that beat the Howling Bears! HA

Orange Grove over West Oso.
Lyford over West Oso.
Port Isabel over Orange Grove and Lyford.:eek:

rhs78
11-13-2004, 08:14 AM
outstanding game tarpons,congrats on big win, starters should be rested for next week,good luck vs ingleside you should take care of them.

honeymd
11-13-2004, 08:52 AM
I don't know much about Ingleside, so I can really give an educated opinion or guess. But, we all know who I'll be rooting for!

GO TARPONS!!!!!!:D

footballgal
11-13-2004, 02:22 PM
Tarpons drown Bulldogs

Kris Holland / The Brownsville Herald
http://www.valleystar.com/images/uploads/PI-OGLEAD.jpg
Port Isabel’s Johnny Nieto eyes the goal after being brought down by Orange Grove’s Tyler Burrows in the second quarter.
By BUDDY GREEN
buddyg@valleystr.com
956-430-6284

PORT ISABEL — The Port Isabel Tarpons didn’t take long to show Orange Grove why they’re ranked No. 8 in state on Friday night.

Would you believe one drive?

The Tarpons took the opening kick and executed a masterful 13-play drive into a strong wind, covering 72 yards and chewing 7:29 off the clock.

Quarterback Orlando Ochoa capped the all-run drive with a 14-yard touchdown run with 4:31 left in the first quarter.

PI opened its 2004 playoff run with a convincing 48-21 bi-district win over the Bulldogs.

"They put us against the wind to start off," said Ochoa. "The line blocked great, we put it all together. That set the tone."

Said PI head coach Monty Stumbaugh, "That was big. We needed a good drive, hopefully score, if not, get a few first downs and pin them deep."

The Tarpons got five first downs on the drive and converted three third down plays.

The first score also set the tone for a spectacular performance by Ochoa, who rushed for 172 yards and four touchdowns on just 12 carries and passed for another score.

Add to that a magnificent 85-yard punt that got the Tarpons out of a big hole and led to PI’s second touchdown early in the second.

Punting from his own end zone, Ochoa rocketed one over the head of the Orange Grove return man. The ball took a roll downfield and eventually went out of bounds on the 5-yard line.

After a defensive stop, Ochoa hit Butch Martinez on 55-yard scoring bomb to make it 14-0 with 7:03 left in the half.

Ochoa added a 44-yard TD run and the Bulldogs got a 2-yard run from Oscar Martinez to make the score 21-7 at the half.

Orange Grove never got any closer than that.

The Tarpons rushed for 421 of their 489 total yards.

Johnny Nieto added 77 on 16 carries and in backup roles, Mark Villarreal picked up 90 yards on four carries, including a 27-yard TD, and Ralph Valdez had 62 yards on three carries, with a 53-yard TD.

Orange Grove totalled 332 yards, 182 rushing and 150 passing.

The Bulldogs racked up good yardage, but PI held them to minus 13 in the third quarter when the Tarps scored twice to bust the game wide open.

After the scoring run by Valdez, Ochoa scampered 34 yards for a score and the Tarpons led 35-7 heading into the final period.

"We came out a little sloppy, but we stepped it up," said defensive end Abel Woods. "We kept it up, we stayed focused."

Orange Grove quarterback Roel Alaniz completed five of nine for 150 yards, including a 75-yard touchdown to Andrew Acuna in the fourth period.

"We knew their quarterback was a good passer and we had to put pressure on him." said Woods. "It’s all about the Seawall Defense. We take a lot of pride in that."

Other than a few blown coverages in the secondary, the PI defense was as stout as ever.

"The DBs let down tonight," said Ochoa, who also plays in the secondary. "The line and linebackers did great. We’re gonna have to practice on that."